dsayes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Doing a lot of things right, trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong

I'm a 31 year old male, I weigh 227 pounds, I'm 6'2" and roughly 24% body fat. I would say that my knowledge of fitness is above average, my routine was derailed for a period of time due to a back injury. My current routine includes 6 days a week at the gym (3 days cardio & 3 days weights). I use a personal heart rate monitor to know how long to rest and where to maintain my exertion level. On my cardio days I do light cardio, brisk walking on a treadmiill at 15% incline for an hour, while maintaining my heart rate at roughly 130 bpm. On my weight days I do a total body push/pull routine using a mix of olymic lifting, isolation, and compoud lifting. I think I have a good diet, no fried foods, butter, cream, fatty snacks, or fast food. I typically get 180g of protein in a day, and keep a close eye on fat intake. Anything I eat counts for something, if I eat carbs, they're whole grain, if I eat fats, they're good fats. No excess sugar in my diet, I avoid soda and sugary drinks. After starting the above mentioned routine 5 weeks ago; I lost 3 pounds in the first 2 weeks, then gained 4 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I've lost a half inch from my waist and my other measurements have stayed the same. I'm not sure what else to do. I understand the I'm gaining muscle and adding muscle wieght, but it feels like I've hit my plateau already. It seems too early for that. Anyone out there been here before? Any suggestions? I'm not sure what else to do. I'm pushing myself harder than ever, I need some help so I don't lose motivation. Also, I do realize im not 25 anymore. Thanks for the help.

rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rel83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Count your calories and see how many calories you're actually consuming. Doesn't matter if you're pushing yourself at the gym if your diet isn't in check.
    When everyone else has quit because they can't go on are you willing to push yourself to the next level?

If you ain't breaking a sweat, you ain't doing sh....

jescobar31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jescobar31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rel83 View Post
    Count your calories and see how many calories you're actually consuming. Doesn't matter if you're pushing yourself at the gym if your diet isn't in check.
    Agreed, start off with 20F/40C/40P, maintain a 500 calorie deficit from maintenance, and keep doing what you're doing!! Has worked miracles for me
    I know that if you can change your diet and
    exercise program to give yourself a different body, you can apply
    the same principles to anything else.-Arnold

dsayes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jescobar31 View Post
    Agreed, start off with 20F/40C/40P, maintain a 500 calorie deficit from maintenance, and keep doing what you're doing!! Has worked miracles for me
    I have great eating habits , I definately agree I need to focus on the ratio and portion sizes. I don't want it to feel like there's no hope after 30 =). It seems like you have to work 3 times as hard as you used to, to get half the results. Thanks!

naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Count your calories , over eating " healthy foods" will get you the same result as over eating " junk foods" vice versa. If you " think" your diet is good. You are wrong. "think" = I dont know or I dont care

surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfergirl36 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dsayes View Post
    I have great eating habits , I definately agree I need to focus on the ratio and portion sizes. I don't want it to feel like there's no hope after 30 =). It seems like you have to work 3 times as hard as you used to, to get half the results. Thanks!
    There's definitely hope after 30! I started my weight loss journey at 35 and did my first competition at 37. Still have a long way to go to be where I want but there's hope!!

You're right though...you have to work a bit harder and I count all my calories, keep my macros in check on fitday.com. If I let it go too long using my "yes, I eat well usually" thoughts, the weight creeps back on.

Counting calories/ macros, at least for the first little while, is so important. I know I was surprised at how much I was really eating, even when I thought it was good and clean.

Good luck!