PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Dates as an alternative to dextrose

I started taking creatine 1 month ago, I was going to buy dextrose like most of you do here and take 25-35 grams with my PWO whey shake. But, fortunatly I read an article about dates and the impact of dates on blood sugar levels. For those of you who don't know, dates have a GI index of 103 (even higher than glucose). Dates are made of 70% sugar, 35% glucose and 35% fructose. So I thought they can be a good alternative to pure dextrose. Here are some of the benefits of dates:

1- Dates are rich in minerals, vitamins and anitoxidants.
    2- Dates are rich in fibres.
    3- Dates are the best testosterone boosting fruit.

Health benefits of dates are uncountable, as this fruit is affluent in natural fibres. These natural products also contain oil, calcium, sulphur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium which are advantageous for health. Dates are even rich in several vitamins and minerals. It is said that one date is minimum requirement of a balanced and healthy diet. It helps in fighting constipation, intestinal disorders, weight gain, heart problems, sexual weakness, diarrhoea and abdominal cancer.

Health benefits of dates have made them the best nourishment for muscles development.
    Taken from: http://www.organicfacts.net/health-b...-of-dates.html

I eat about 60 grams of dates(7 dates) with my PWO shake. What do you think ?

Oh, and I forgot to mention they are so ****** delicious!

goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't know much about dates or specific about nutrition. but I did read dates are one of the most mistaken "healthy foods". people consider them healthy, when they are loaded with sugars. I mean I can be wrong and this is just something I read on the internet which is most the time bull**** but jus saying. and today I was looking at raisins and didn't like the nutritional value of them compared to the cals and sugars.
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew

coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dates are awesome. Love dates. Gotta be careful they are sugary, but replacing a sugar with a sugary fruit = ... same thing?

I don't see why not. These little details and minutiae are insignificant to your body.

PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PatriotGamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by goldmank View Post
    I don't know much about dates or specific about nutrition. but I did read dates are one of the most mistaken "healthy foods". people consider them healthy, when they are loaded with sugars. I mean I can be wrong and this is just something I read on the internet which is most the time bull**** but jus saying. and today I was looking at raisins and didn't like the nutritional value of them compared to the cals and sugars.
    You're right. They are loaded with sugars! That's why they would make a good alternative to pure dextrose. they are infact better since you get whole lot of good out of them other than the insulin spike.

I only eat dates after my workout as I'm sure my body will deliver all those simple carbs to my muscles along with the creatine and whey.

Thanks!
    Last edited by PatriotGamer; 06-06-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Originally Posted by coals View Post
    Dates are awesome. Love dates. Gotta be careful they are sugary, but replacing a sugar with a sugary fruit = ... same thing?

I don't see why not. These little details and minutiae are insignificant to your body.
    Yep they are basically the same thing but if you have 2 choices:

1-Dates: Natural, rich in fibre, rich in vitamins and minerals.
    2-Dextrose: just an insulin spike.

What would you choose ?

goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PatriotGamer View Post
    Yep they are basically the same thing but if you have 2 choices:

1-Dates: Natural, rich in fibre, rich in vitamins and minerals.
    2-Dextrose: just an insulin spike.

What would you choose ?
    after my workout I usually have a banana and a pear and sometimes maybe an orange. how does that compare to dates? Does it make that big of a difference?
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Fancy medjools from trader joes will own you. So good. Also some health food stores have them rolled in coconut, sometimes with an almond pressed in. I make these to snack on too
    In a food processor or blender, blend 1/3 cup dates, take out put in bowl. Blend up 1/3 cup peanuts til coarse little pieces, put aside. Blend 1/3 cup of any dried fruit or another nut such as cashews until finely chopped. Then blend all 3 together til mixed. Press flat between wax paper into a big bar, then put in fridge, cut into bars when cooled for a good snack bar.

after my workout I usually have a banana and a pear and sometimes maybe an orange. how does that compare to dates? Does it make that big of a difference?
    Are you taking creatine ? if so, you need something with high GI value to deliver the creatine to your muscles efficiently. Dextrose, dates and honey are the top 3 choices. Personally, I prefer dates for the reasons stated above.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    a serving of fruit isn't especially insulinogenic

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    Why ya gotta rain on the broparade like that brah?
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

Are you taking creatine ? if so, you need something with high GI value to deliver the creatine to your muscles efficiently. Dextrose, dates and honey are the top 3 choices. Personally, I prefer dates for the reasons stated above.
    no, I ain't on creatine. so is that fine?
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew

Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100) Itadienekes is not very well liked. (-100)
    EAT THEM DATES!!!

I love dates, should really start using them as my pre & post carbs too.
    Like you said, why waste those 50-100g of carbs on pure dextrose if you can get em from nutritionally rich dates?

"fruit" is the keyword here. Not all fruit is equal. A fresh apple isn't very insulinogenic. A dried apple ring is a hell of a lot more insulinogenic. I'd think a date to be at the top.

Edit: http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_...#axzz0qBB0LVA6 (not a 'real' source, but a starting point). GI of dates = 103 ...

Edit2: http://ginews.blogspot.com/2005/07/g...es-update.html ... Hmmm. GI of other dates = 39. Guess it depends on the type
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

[IIFYM Crew], [IF Crew], Fighter.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I may have responded to quickly before. OP, are you just eating dates post-workout alone or are you having them along side your whey and water shake? I assume the latter now that I re-read your post. Please realize that protein will impact the GI of the carbs anyway.

Most people have no idea why the bandwagon suggests taking dextrose. They know something about an insulin spike, so they think that they need a massive insulin spike, but that's about all.

OP, if you want to have dates as a post workout carb source along with whey, go ahead...it is just fine. But guess what? You can also have a banana or oatmeal as your post workout carb source and achieve the same real-world outcome, assuming you don't have any odd training parameters such as fasted training, 90-120 minutes of continuous work on the same muscle groups, and a need to compete with the same muscles later that same day.

I give you props for asking about how to replace nutrient-empty carb sources with nutrient-dense carb sources. Just realize, you don't need to focus on the GI impact.

I may have responded to quickly before. OP, are you just eating dates post-workout alone or are you having them along side your whey and water shake? I assume the latter now that I re-read your post. Please realize that protein will impact the GI of the carbs anyway.
    Yes, I eat dates with my PWO shake which consists of one scoop of whey, 1 tbsp of honey and water. How will protein impact the GI of carbs ? Will it slow its absorption ?

Most people have no idea why the bandwagon suggests taking dextrose. They know something about an insulin spike, so they think that they need a massive insulin spike, but that's about all.

OP, if you want to have dates as a post workout carb source along with whey, go ahead...it is just fine. But guess what? You can also have a banana or oatmeal as your post workout carb source and achieve the same real-world outcome, assuming you don't have any odd training parameters such as fasted training, 90-120 minutes of continuous work on the same muscle groups, and a need to compete with the same muscles later that same day.
    No, I don't do any of these things. So, Can I use any carb source with creatine and acheive the same result?

I give you props for asking about how to replace nutrient-empty carb sources with nutrient-dense carb sources. Just realize, you don't need to focus on the GI impact.
    Thanks! Honestly, from all those articles I read shouting "High GI is best". The only thing I was thinking is to replace the High GI dextrose with a High GI fruit so that I can get more than just the insulin spike.

Originally Posted by Itadienekes View Post
    EAT THEM DATES!!!

I love dates, should really start using them as my pre & post carbs too.
    Like you said, why waste those 50-100g of carbs on pure dextrose if you can get em from nutritionally rich dates?
    Yes. that's what I was thinking. 6-8 tsp's of pure dextrose didn't look right to me.

Originally Posted by Itadienekes View Post
    "fruit" is the keyword here. Not all fruit is equal. A fresh apple isn't very insulinogenic. A dried apple ring is a hell of a lot more insulinogenic. I'd think a date to be at the top.

Edit: http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_...#axzz0qBB0LVA6 (not a 'real' source, but a starting point). GI of dates = 103 ...

Edit2: http://ginews.blogspot.com/2005/07/g...es-update.html ... Hmmm. GI of other dates = 39. Guess it depends on the type
    It seems that dates don't have a GI of 103. I always wondered how can something have a GI value above 100 ? now that I made more research about the GI of dates, it seems dates have GI between 35 and 60 which is not that high considering the high amount of sugar it contains. My guess is that fiber slows down the absorption of sugars and hence the low GI.

Thanks!

what is GI? I know its glyocemix index or whatever but what is it used for?
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew

what is GI? I know its glyocemix index or whatever but what is it used for?
    From Wikipedia:

The glycemic index, glycaemic index, or GI is a measure of the effects of carbohydrates on blood sugar levels.[citation needed] Carbohydrates that break down quickly during digestion and release glucose rapidly into the bloodstream have a high GI; carbohydrates that break down more slowly, releasing glucose more gradually into the bloodstream, have a low GI.

From Wikipedia:

The glycemic index, glycaemic index, or GI is a measure of the effects of carbohydrates on blood sugar levels.[citation needed] Carbohydrates that break down quickly during digestion and release glucose rapidly into the bloodstream have a high GI; carbohydrates that break down more slowly, releasing glucose more gradually into the bloodstream, have a low GI.
    thanks haha. now I just have to learn whether or not high GI is good or bad and what foods have this. I have a long way to go
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew