Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)

Live Dangerously and You Live Right - Daniel's Powerlifting Log

Hello everyone!

I'm 18, and pretty new to the sport of powerlifting. Got started at a gym in December, and I ran a 5x5 program for 5 months when I started. No previous lifting experience.

As you can see from my stats, I'm 5'7"; about 150lbs. Started at 125lbs. My primary concerns are strength with size being a secondary goal. I'd also like to compete in my first powerlifting meet very soon.

Long-term goals include Squatting 600lbs and Deadlifting 700lbs raw. I want to reach/break these goals eventually while staying 100% natural.

I'm currently on a strength program that an experienced powerlifter from another board had suggested to me. The basic layout is a 3-day split, but sometimes I'll train more frequently if I feel I'm lagging in some area:

Monday: DE Bench/Shoulders/Bench accessory

Wednesday: Squat/Front Squat/Pause Squat

Friday: Deadlift/Bench Press/back/biceps

I like to train with near-maximal weights and heavy triples/doubles/singles. Exercises are generally cycled, although my base compounds stay the same.

My diet is simple enough: eat, eat, eat. Anything high-calorie is included in my diet, and I'm not a big fan of most supplements. I try things out every now and then, but I don't really "take" anything. haha

Just finished training my shoulders for the 3rd time this week (they're one of my weak points). Later today is Squatting time, and with any luck I'll be bed-ridden from soreness by tomorrow morning.

Oh yeah, I've got some attached pictures for you guys; just so you can see where I'm at muscularly. Don't have any of my legs, atm; but my thighs are around 22 1/2 inches un-flexed, if that helps.

Thanks for checking my log out! I make PR's almost every week on something, so you won't be disappointed if you follow along.
    Attached Images

sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000)
    First!

I'll sub.
    "Rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. " 1 Timothy 4:7-8

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sirwazzles View Post
    First!

I'll sub.
    Tx!

brb finding your log...

sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000) sirwazzles is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good job with the 25lbs gain in 5 month. That's great progress. Keep it up.
    "Rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. " 1 Timothy 4:7-8

(Btw, I tend to clock my work like this: 135x5x2; which means 135lbs for 5 sets of 2 reps, NOT 2 sets of 5 reps.)

"The dangers of life are infinite, and among them is safety." - Goethe

Squats:
    155x3
    235x10x3

Fuking brutal. My legs started giving out on set 8; but I just pushed through it and somehow got it up for 2 more. All sets ATG.

Front Squats:
    225x3x1
    185x6x2

Quads felt dead, but I still tried my best to go longer. I failed my fourth attempt of 225 at least 5 times before I dropped the weight for doubles. Never been so disappointed. All ATG.

Pause squats: (3-second pause in the hole)
    185x3x3 (ATG)

I could barely walk into the locker room; my entire body was shaking and I was sweating bullets.

Rest times were 60 seconds flat in between every set on every exercise.

Steak + chocolate milk post-workout.

Computer Science Brah DesireToGrow's Avatar
    DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Arrow

squats, front squats, and chocolate milk?

Count me in!
    I'm going to lift heavy things until I can lift even heavier things.

530|505/320/585 - Gym Lifts - wrapped|sleeves/TNG
    408/303/574 - Meet PRs @ 233lbs

Youtube: cjl182281

Great job with that workout. I saw that you said you take 1 minute between your sets. In your original post, you said strength was your main goal with size was second. If that's true, more time between sets will allow you to recover more, allowing you to use more weight than with a shorter rest time. So it's better for developing strength. Maybe you already knew that, but figured I'd say something just in case you didn't. And nice front squatting. Haha, I imagine your front squat to back squat ratio is largely because of your freakishly strong back.

Originally Posted by sirwazzles View Post
    Great job with that workout. I saw that you said you take 1 minute between your sets. In your original post, you said strength was your main goal with size was second. If that's true, more time between sets will allow you to recover more, allowing you to use more weight than with a shorter rest time. So it's better for developing strength. Maybe you already knew that, but figured I'd say something just in case you didn't. And nice front squatting. Haha, I imagine your front squat to back squat ratio is largely because of your freakishly strong back.
    Thanks for the tip; you're right, I knew that. The reason I have such short rests is because it promotes not only strength gains (because of the heavy lifts), but also greater muscular strength and endurance while keeping the intensity very high. In this way, you not only become stronger through lifting heavy set weights, but your size gains will also be leaner.

I could technically lift more weight if I rested longer, but I want to make it as hard on myself to complete my sessions as possible. That way I'll always be breaking through my limits.

I have had a few people tell me I have a strong back. haha

Edit: It's also a fixed weight for the sets; I have found longer rest periods to be more beneficial when the weight gets heavier each set.

Originally Posted by DanielBeauchamp View Post
    Thanks for the tip; you're right, I knew that. The reason I have such short rests is because it promotes not only strength gains (because of the heavy lifts), but also greater muscular strength and endurance while keeping the intensity very high. In this way, you not only become stronger through lifting heavy set weights, but your size gains will also be leaner.

I could technically lift more weight if I rested longer, but I want to make it as hard on myself to complete my sessions as possible. That way I'll always be breaking through my limits.

Edit: It's also a fixed weight for the sets; I have found longer rest periods to be more beneficial when the weight gets heavier each set.
    Cool cool, I understand. Shorter rests are definitely better for size gains. So it's a good choice either way. Just preference.

Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000)

That's good. Less rest = higher CNS demand.

I'll be popping in, keep up the good work.
    Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142268221&welcome=true

Originally Posted by Norse1308 View Post
    That's good. Less rest = higher CNS demand.

I'll be popping in, keep up the good work.
    Thanks a lot! Reps on recharge for following along.

Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    in/subbed

UPDATE: My sister's figure competition is this weekend, so my training day on Friday has to be done today. That means that I have heavy Deadlifts to do in about...4 hours. This means that I have successfully managed to lengthen a 3-day training week to include two more consecutive days; which amounts to 5 back-to-back days with 3 of those days including max-effort attempts.

I would like this log to be stickied if I die before I can report back.
    Last edited by DanielBeauchamp; 06-03-2010 at 08:55 AM.

DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DesireToGrow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Good luck bro!

Originally Posted by DesireToGrow View Post
    Good luck bro!
    Thanks man!

JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Impressive gains so far.
    Powerlifting log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172662011&page=1

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't be dissapointed with those front squats. That is an alpha ass workout.

A whole day of nothing but squats and variations? Phuck yeah.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yashkovich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    UPDATE: My sister's figure competition is this weekend, so my training day on Friday has to be done today. That means that I have heavy Deadlifts to do in about...4 hours. This means that I have successfully managed to lengthen a 3-day training week to include two more consecutive days; which amounts to 5 back-to-back days with 3 of those days including max-effort attempts.

I would like this log to be stickied if I die before I can report back.
    this sounds frightening :/

Originally Posted by JiP View Post
    Impressive gains so far.
    Thanks a lot, man.

Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    Don't be dissapointed with those front squats. That is an alpha ass workout.

A whole day of nothing but squats and variations? Phuck yeah.
    Thanks. I was actually aiming for 15 singles of 225, but my legs said no. hahaha Maybe next time.

You should try it. My legs are still hurting just as bad as I'm sitting here typing.

Originally Posted by Yashkovich View Post
    this sounds frightening :/
    Don't worry. I'll do my best to claw my way to the computer before I collapse.

Had to cut today short; mini-workout.

Deadlift:
    225x3
    335x5x2

Bench Press:
    135x3
    150x10x3

Weighted Chin-Ups:
    35x6
    35x5
    BWx10

Was intending to do much more today, but had to go home early. Legs were dead anyway...

Speed Bench:
    115x3
    130x10x3

Explosive on all reps.

Push Press:
    115x5x2
    125x3x1
    130x0

Form was screwy. Gonna try for 135 next week.

Power Press:
    Barx5
    85x3
    95x1
    100x2x1
    105x1

Getting used to the form. Weight was pretty light; can definitely get 135 or more.

Weighted Dips:
    BWx5
    55x4
    65x3
    75x2
    85x1
    85x0
    50x6
    BWx15

10lb PR. Gonna hit 100lbs soon if I can keep up the progression.

Now it's time for some chocolate-chip cookies...

iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There will come a day when you'd trade all your tomorrows for a single yesterday. Enjoy these 'yesterdays' fully.
    Weighted pullups = 195 lbs x1
    Weighted dips = 225 lbs x2
    Squat = 405 x2

Originally Posted by iliketojuggle View Post
    There will come a day when you'd trade all your tomorrows for a single yesterday. Enjoy these 'yesterdays' fully.
    Will do!

Squats:
    165x4
    225x3
    245x2
    255x2
    260x2x1

Front Squats:
    165x4
    185x3x3
    195x1
    225x1
    235x1

PR!

Pause Squats (3-second pause):
    185x3
    195x3
    195x3

Wanted to hit my Quads hard today. Pretty good workout.

Sick front squats!

****, I couldn't even imagine a day that's just made up of squat variations *shivers*

Originally Posted by Yashkovich View Post
    Sick front squats!

****, I couldn't even imagine a day that's just made up of squat variations *shivers*
    I took it a bit easier on the Back Squats today; wanted to hit my Front Squats with max effort.

You should try it; fun, fun.

Thumbs up

nice leg workout bud.

what's a power press?

Originally Posted by DesireToGrow View Post
    nice leg workout bud.

what's a power press?
    You've got the weight behind your neck and on your Traps; like you're going to Squat it. Instead, you push-press it up and overhead and then bring it back on your Traps.