fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Settle a debate between my friend and I about decline/incline push ups.

Lets get this out of the way and for arguments sake say that there is an advantage to doing different lifts/exercises to hit different portions of the chest.

So he tells me that doing push-ups with feet up/hands low(such as feet on a chair hands on the floor) hits lower chest and feet low/hands up(feet on floor and hands on bench) hits upper.

I believe the opposite. Who is correct.

fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatgutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You guys can just do them until failure and see what part of your back hurts.

JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesRhodes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Feet high > Upper chest
    Feet low > Doesn't really do anything, just make the load alot lighter.

Use weights
    Dare to be great.

TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Push-ups are the opposite of bench

Decline Push ups aka feet up works your upper chest

Incline Push ups aka hands up works lower chest.

33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33wolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are correct, just have to look at the angle of the torso to realise that the push-up with feet elevated works the upper chest and front delts more.

liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) liftingson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you sir are correct. Hands down = upper chest, hands up = lower chest.
    My 5/3/1 progress can be found here.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142870321&p

Uncut LOG...check it out here!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152706323

{{**ORIGINAL DSC**}}

I lift one rep at a time.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by fabregas View Post
    Lets get this out of the way and for arguments sake say that there is an advantage to doing different lifts/exercises to hit different portions of the chest.

So he tells me that doing push-ups with feet up/hands low(such as feet on a chair hands on the floor) hits lower chest and feet low/hands up(feet on floor and hands on bench) hits upper.

You are.
    Originally Posted by JamesRhodes View Post
    Feet high > Upper chest
    Feet low > Doesn't really do anything, just make the load alot lighter.

Use weights
    Originally Posted by TheBroBrah View Post
    Push-ups are the opposite of bench

Decline Push ups aka feet up works your upper chest

Incline Push ups aka hands up works lower chest.
    Originally Posted by 33wolf View Post
    You are correct, just have to look at the angle of the torso to realise that the push-up with feet elevated works the upper chest and front delts more.
    Originally Posted by liftingson View Post
    you sir are correct. Hands down = upper chest, hands up = lower chest.
    ^ those
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The real question should be "Is my friend just ignorant, or is he really an idiot?"
    Time To Re-Schedule

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

You are correct and your "friend" is a moron. Don't even tell him the answer, actually don't talk to him anymore it will be better for you in the long run.

Good luck!
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)

I think the better debate is which one is more effective. with regular pushups you are pushing up around ~70% of your body weight. the higher the incline of your feet (aka feet on bench) the more weight your chest is supporting. the opposite is true for the decline. feet on bench hits most of the chest and you are supporting more weight so it is the better option. pushups with hands on a bench = less weight supported and thus less effective.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Question

Originally Posted by mmorton View Post
    I think the better debate is which one is more effective. with regular pushups you are pushing up around ~70% of your body weight. the higher the incline of your feet (aka feet on bench) the more weight your chest is supporting. the opposite is true for the decline. feet on bench hits most of the chest and you are supporting more weight so it is the better option. pushups with hands on a bench = less weight supported and thus less effective.
    So how is that a good debate, if you were just able to solve that mystery in one short paragraph?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    So how is that a good debate, if you were just able to solve that mystery in one short paragraph?
    I'm not involved in the debate with his friend. the point was that instead of worrying about which part of the chest a certain pushup works, focus on which one is more effective.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Looks like the debate has been seattled.
    Let's all do just those two pushup variations and watch our middle chest lacking.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mmorton View Post
    I'm not involved in the debate with his friend. the point was that instead of worrying about which part of the chest a certain pushup works, focus on which one is more effective.
    I did a set of 100 incline push-ups this morning before bench. I like hitting flat, incline, and decline, although decline doesn't use much chest since you use so much shoulder. Maybe the key is to not have a severe angle at all with incline and decline.

Edit: I found this thread through searching google. Sorry for necro'ing.
    Last edited by vampborn; 09-27-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

-

When I developed my pushups in jail (no weights), I did all three variations. As others have stated, feet up works upper chest, and hands up works lower chest. I did hands-up off the bolted-down stools at the table, so it wasn't too high up. Also, this allowed me to go very deep down, further than is allowed by the floor with the other two variations. Obviously this won't happen with hands on a bench, though. But yeah, we mixed them up so we hit the entire chest and it worked pretty well. Plus, the feet-up did add a little more muscle (limited in its own right with no weights), due to the increased load on the arms. I did notice that a steep feet-up pushup worked the shoulders more, and improper form with hands-up put excess stress on the shoulders. So, I would recommend finding a reasonable angle for each. You'll feel in your shoulders if your feet up angle is too extreme, or your hands up form is improper. Note that I mean REALLY improper, like back arched and head dipping.