Endonite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good price for used plates?

Hey,

I am new to buying weights. I heard the best way is to buy a cheap DB bar and buy used plates off Craigslist. What is a good price per pound for a used weight plate?

Thanks

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Endonite View Post
    Hey,

I am new to buying weights. I heard the best way is to buy a cheap DB bar and buy used plates off Craigslist. What is a good price per pound for a used weight plate?

Thanks
    Never pay more than 50 cent a pound unless you personally have a reason to (examples: you only like a certain high end brand that is about $3 pound new or something).
    Some guys have scored deals for as low as 10 cents a pound. If you find a decent deal, make an offer that you are comfortable with.

A lot of guys will discount even more if they have a lot to sell. Also, look for guys who are selling a piece of equipment and are throwing in some weights with the deal. I got a leg press and the seller threw in about 200 lbs of weight. I noticed that he had more and he ended up selling me about 200 lbs for another $50.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The $0.50 per pound rule works in a perfect world, but it's not realisitic.

Retail is usually over $1.00 per pound, anything under $0.90 per pound is good. They're weight plates, they don't lose 50% of their value just because somebody else bought them first.

You can get a steal every once in awhile, I saw a guy selling a bench with a curl bar and 200lbs fo weight for $50 a few weeks ago, but it's rare that that happens.

As long as you're paying less than what you would at a retail store, I think you're doing fine. A lot of people check forums like this to find out what they should sell their gear for before they list it.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tedsheckler View Post

Retail is usually over $1.00 per pound, anything under $0.90 per pound is good. They're weight plates, they don't lose 50% of their value just because somebody else bought them first.

You can get a steal every once in awhile, I saw a guy selling a bench with a curl bar and 200lbs fo weight for $50 a few weeks ago, but it's rare that that happens.

As long as you're paying less than what you would at a retail store, I think you're doing fine. A lot of people check forums like this to find out what they should sell their gear for before they list it.

Your market must be very, very tight. You can get weight plates from Walmart shipped to the nearest store for about $1 a pound (maybe a bit less, can't remember) and you can buy them at play it again sports for well less than .90/lb all day, every day. I got 2000lbs of brand new "YORK" plates shipped to my door for .72/lb ($75 for shipping, so the price would be higher per pound if you bought less, but still reasonable).

Point is... ninety cents a pound for used is too high unless there is something special about the plates. Even as well as I've done on craigslist, I've never been able to get much more than .5/lb.

Buff is pretty much dead on. If you can't find a set (used) for .5/lb.....wait a bit, you will.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Wow. Canada must have a tough tough market. There are LOTS of guys in this forum who have purchased (sometimes multiple times) weight plates and/or dumbbells for 50 cent a pound or less! I know that I have. Ive probably made 4-5 purchases of weight plates (I had about 1,300 lbs of Olympic and 600 lbs of standard weight at one time), ALL from CL and NEVER paid more than 50 cent a pound.
    Its far from a perfect world, but guys from here (Georgia), and Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and California and other locations have been able to make the 50 cent a lb or less deals happen.

EDIT:
    Just checked Atlanta's Craigslist for "weight plates" and came up with a ton...the first 5 were all 50 cent a pound OR LESS. Its really not that rare down here. Some of the others were just over 50 cent a pound, but included an Olympic bar, weight tree and/or curl bar.
    Last edited by buffbrown21; 05-23-2010 at 02:26 PM.

www.ShankAZombie.com

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I can get new plates at Sports Authority for less. 300lb for $150 or less. Craigslist is even cheaper if you don't mind used plates.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

Endonite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm looking in the Dallas craigslist. I am moving back up to Milwaukee and theirs is a lot less populated. Only have a couple days, but I'll judge based on your prices.

Thanks

tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ206585371

That's about average from what I seen for the last month or so that I've been checking. Craigslist is next to useless here, maybe 2-3 posts a day in sporting.

That's about average from what I seen for the last month or so that I've been checking. Craigslist is next to useless here, maybe 2-3 posts a day in sporting.
    Well I hate that for you, but luckily the OP is not in Canada.

www.ShankAZombie.com

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

that may be part of your problem- don't only look in "sporting goods". i've found deals for .25/.30 per pound listed in the other sections. i bought about 1000 pounds of olympic plates and about 500 pounds of standard plates for $325 one time- and it came with a power rack, bench, 2 weight trees, and some other stuff. i found it listed in the "tools and equipment" section.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sports Authority frequently sells a 300lb set with a bar for 150.00.
    They are new grip style plates TSA brand.The normal price is about 100.00 more but if you can wait you can save.
    []--[]Equipment Crew #33[]--[]

Just be yourself...Everybody else is taken!

My Flickr Photo stuff.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by animalfan View Post
    that may be part of your problem- don't only look in "sporting goods". i've found deals for .25/.30 per pound listed in the other sections. i bought about 1000 pounds of olympic plates and about 500 pounds of standard plates for $325 one time- and it came with a power rack, bench, 2 weight trees, and some other stuff. i found it listed in the "tools and equipment" section.
    Holy crap....and I was feeling kind of good about my 350lbs for $150 buy this weekend...

Feel like I was screwed now...lol.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My best score on plates came to well under $0.15 a pound counting everything. It was a mixture of 500lbs olympic and standard, and he took $75 for the lot. Included in that $75 was a bodysolid half rack, bench, olympic bar, and 3 more standard bars. (happy day for me)Usually I wouldnt touch plates on craigslist for over $0.30 a pound unless they were special, or matched my wide flanged set.

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    Holy crap....and I was feeling kind of good about my 350lbs for $150 buy this weekend...

Feel like I was screwed now...lol.
    ya just get lucky sometimes. this dude was living down in the metro detroit area (just moved) and had all this stuff at his old house- which he just sold. he needed it all gone and i just got lucky and got at it first. he lived about 10 minutes away, which was great since i needed to make a couple trips!

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    My best score on plates came to well under $0.15 a pound counting everything. It was a mixture of 500lbs olympic and standard, and he took $75 for the lot. Included in that $75 was a bodysolid half rack, bench, olympic bar, and 3 more standard bars. (happy day for me)Usually I wouldnt touch plates on craigslist for over $0.30 a pound unless they were special, or matched my wide flanged set.
    nice. the plates i've got in my gym were on cl from a gym- i was hoping for really nice plates like ivanko or something, but they have "patina" which i like a lot. i posted pics of them in the "your plates" thread, i think on the first page. the brand is schisler (at least the 45s), and they have deep lips which is nice.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by animalfan View Post
    ya just get lucky sometimes. this dude was living down in the metro detroit area (just moved) and had all this stuff at his old house- which he just sold. he needed it all gone and i just got lucky and got at it first. he lived about 10 minutes away, which was great since i needed to make a couple trips!.
    Yeah, I keep waiting for that "1000lb of ivanko plates free to good home" ad. Haven't seen it yet....lol.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.