willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and bench press

To all those who have tried Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, has your bench press numbers hit a sticking point while the rest has taken off? I am in my 4th wave of 5/3/1 and for some reason my bench press is not budging. I am on the 4 day a week template with floor presses rather than military presses on MP day and doing my flat bench on its own day as well. Floor presses have always helped me improve my bench strength and technique, but this time around I can't seem to find out why my bench isn't improving whereas my squat and deadlift seem to be progressing slowly, but surely. I'm thinking it may be due to the lack of volume that may be holding me back and now a trainer byt he name of Derek Charlesbois(Team Scivation) is telling me that it may be due to my delts and tris being overtrained from the floor presses. Anyone experience this and find a way to get their bench up?
    Last edited by willsong; 05-20-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    *Scivation Athlete*
    www.TeamScivation.com
    www.Scivation.com

StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by willsong View Post
    To all those who have tried Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, has your bench press numbers hit a sticking point while the rest has taken off? I am in my 4th wave of 5/3/1 and for some reason my bench press is not budging. I am on the 4 day a week template with floor presses rather than military presses on MP day and doing my flat bench on its own day as well. Floor presses have always helped me improve my bench strength and technique, but this time around I can't seem to find out why my bench isn't improving whereas my squat and deadlift seem to be fine?
    What other accessory work are you doing? What makes you say your bench isn't improving?

Dysfunctional Strength Entkommen115's Avatar
    Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000) Entkommen115 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am having the exact same problem right now. Everything is going up except for my bench simply because there is not enough volume.

Considering you deload once a month with 5/3/1 I would highly doubt overtraining would be the culprit. My bench has always needed more volume in order to get anywhere and this program is really illustrating that.
    "Clit stimulation if your fingers are dry is not a good idea. The clit is more sensitive than the underside of a guy's penis, apparently.

Good rule of thumb: make sure you're fingers aren't dry before they go anywhere NEAR her clit/pussy.

Also, besides myself, maybe 2-3 of you have actually done anything like this before..."

-Daniel Beauchamp

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Entkommen115 View Post
    I am having the exact same problem right now. Everything is going up except for my bench simply because there is not enough volume.

Considering you deload once a month with 5/3/1 I would highly doubt overtraining would be the culprit. My bench has always needed more volume in order to get anywhere and this program is really illustrating that.
    I'm in pretty much the same boat. Squat went up 20, deadlift 55, but nothing on bench yet but maybe 5 pounds. Switching to BBB this week, though, so that should help.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000)
    What is your

Heaviest bench
    Your current bench
    your weights used in during 5/3/1
    What reps are you hittin during workouts.
    show me your past 10 workouts
    what is your accesorry work like.

I really cant answer you if the only info i have is that you are doing 5/3/1
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but rather the one most responsive to change.

swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000)
    My general advice is this

Start LIGHT

and

VOLUME

volume and lighter work is incredibly important at a begginers stage. Think about how small the working muscles are in a bench press vs....a squat say? Alot of people can get away with Heavy high intensity work right away with squats because they already have huge muscles which are getting enough from the fairly low amount of TUT.

Now think of your bench muscles...realistically its what...chest, triceps, shoulders? Most peoples are SMALL. How are you goin to lift huge weights if you have never conditoned your muscles/added a good amount of size.

Again this is not a ****ing absolute but its a pretty accurate generalization.

Look at most (again not ALL) bodybuilders. Alot of guys who are into bodybuilding seem to out bench alot of powerlifters (well people who train like them) off the gate, then all of the sudden after grinding away for a few years the powerlifters seem to finally start outclassing the bodybuilders. Why could that be? Because the bodybuilders were focusing on building lean body mass which was enough to increase there strength. Once they reached a peak in weight their bench stopped moving as much. Then at that point I believe CNS intensive training is required.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but rather the one most responsive to change.

willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10) willsong is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Entkommen115 View Post

Good point. I really feel the 5/3/1 really lacks the volume for the bench in order to help with making your body learn the motor patterns, reinforcing good technique, and building confidence with heavier weights.

Originally Posted by swolegantor View Post
    What is your

Heaviest bench
    Your current bench
    your weights used in during 5/3/1
    What reps are you hittin during workouts.
    show me your past 10 workouts
    what is your accesorry work like.

I really cant answer you if the only info i have is that you are doing 5/3/1
    1-300 touch N Go in the gym @ 195lbs back in September of '09.
    2-Right now probably 275 TNG. Got sick in January and lost weight and was MIA.
    3-In all of my weeks the most reps I've hit was 9 reps, but the majority fall within the 3-7 range.
    4- Look at my log.
    5- Accessories are just close grip bench and military press after floor press days and deadlifts after bench press days, j/k I do DB/BB rows, DB floor Press, and side laterals usually.
    Last edited by willsong; 05-20-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    *Scivation Athlete*
    www.TeamScivation.com
    www.Scivation.com

BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've read in many places that people's bench stalls on this program, I even had a friend who had the same problem, he said his other lifts were going up though too.

taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you feel you need to bench more, why not just add in some dumbell bench as accesories, or do the boring but big accessory work
    Also I remember reading an article, where wendler said that if you want to add more volume, just go like.... 65% 75% 85%+ (as normal) then go back down 75% 65%+

Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chad777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would lower your bench training max a couple more pounds. Its a hit to your ego, but I think its helped me a lot.

And I would say ditch the floor presses and go back to military press. I've gained a lot of mass and strength doing these, definitely helping my bench.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121075181

Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    3-In all of my weeks the most reps I've hit was 9 reps, but the majority fall within the 3-7 range.
    Er.. surely if you beat the prescribed reps you are improving? How long have you been doing it and are you back near your original 1RM on the 1 weeks yet?
    Koyongi: I am going to accomplish this by following a haphazard training system, and forging elite fitness.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    To all those who have tried Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, has your bench press numbers hit a sticking point while the rest has taken off? I am in my 4th wave of 5/3/1 and for some reason my bench press is not budging. I am on the 4 day a week template with floor presses rather than military presses on MP day and doing my flat bench on its own day as well. Floor presses have always helped me improve my bench strength and technique, but this time around I can't seem to find out why my bench isn't improving whereas my squat and deadlift seem to be progressing slowly, but surely. I'm thinking it may be due to the lack of volume that may be holding me back and now a trainer byt he name of Derek Charlesbois(Team Scivation) is telling me that it may be due to my delts and tris being overtrained from the floor presses. Anyone experience this and find a way to get their bench up?
    I got through 5 waves before it started becoming obvious my bench was slowing down before my other lifts, but my bench has always been a weak point so I didn't really think anything of it. Even at the point I got to, honestly it wasn't THAT much of a stall, I was just used to shooting for at least 5 reps on the 3+ week and 3 on the 1+ week so when I started only being able to do 3 or 1 rep on those weeks it seemed like I was failing, even though I was clearly still hitting the minimum reps.

buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    go to 3 days a week. and do BBB. you're not over trained, your just not recovering enough from MP day to bench. and if another 5x10 of bench doesn't help, add in incline bench for the 5x10 instead of military press on that day. I do bench then close grip, MP then close grip incline
    Current: (GOALS)

Deadlift: 500x1 (540x1)
    Squat: 450x1 (475x1)
    Bench: 320x1 (350x1)
    Military Press: 230x1 (300x1)
    Barbell Row: 290x1 (350x1)

"Well, nothing makes a gallon of milk go down easier than a box of pop tarts"

You are using way too much weight. I generally like to hit 12/10/8 on 85%/90%/95% respectively.

Also Boring but big. Trust me. Start with light ass weight and slowly slowly slowly move up.

On your bench days you are doing too much heavy assistance.

On your floor press days you are also doing too much heavy assistance.

Your not supposed to Fail and miss during assistance work. Unless you are on like your 20th rep or something ridicoulous. Failing around your 6th or 7th rep mean you are using heavy ass weight for your current strength.

Try making ALL your assistance work 5x10 at a weight you can hit for all the sets. Then add 5 pounds a workout until it gets too heavy.

mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000) mangiventofly is just really nice. (+1000)
    i used to use the 5/3/1, but i have modified my training so much that it probably barely resemble s that now. i had the same problem. everything went fine except my bench. now i do ME bench on mondays, squat and deadlift on tuesdays, and an upper body rep day on thursday (i work 12 hour shifts fri-sun). i use the 5/3/1 rep ranges for the heavy stuff except i do the 3 reps week first, then the 5 rep week, then the 5/3/1 week. the squat and deadlift are staggered, it would take a while to explain. i use mainly board presses for my ME bench work. i may cycle in some floor presses just for fun once in a while. for my rep day i do flat DB bench. i just do three sets, i start heavy enough to get 9 or 10 (this being 1 rep shy of failure with this weight), then each consecutive set gets 5 pounds heavier and one less rep. sometimes i'll do weighted dips. this stuff has worked REALLY well for me. my bench has gone up by about 20 pounds this way, without gaining any bodyweight, which is good for me. i could go into more detail if you're interested, but if so, please PM me for that.
    i rep back.

Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000) Mousey is just really nice. (+1000)
    i've done many waves and have been switching exercises after a couple months. instead of the flat, i'm now doing floor presses. nice carry over when I put the flat back in the rotation.

Registered User Xplodinmongoose's Avatar
    Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Xplodinmongoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thats weird, my bench has gone up 60lbs in 2 months on this program (also changed diet and was probably over training b4) but DL and Squat seem to really be lagging for me haha.
    Be strong, because strength will help you break things.

EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    it's different for everyone. i tried 5/3/1 for a few months and ALL my lifts actually went down (except OHP because i've never even done them before. hah), because i also need a lot of volume.
    6' 215 lbs

CURRENT (all estimated)/GOAL

Bench: 390+/405
    Squat: 430ish/500
    Deadlift: 450ish/600

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114780741

ZHOSTKA!!!

BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm in the process of switching programs away from 5/3/1. i have been on it for about 10 months and i really don't have much to show for it. i really do think i could have gotten much more out of another program. might run 5x5 or powerbuilding.