jstarks4444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Vertical Jump Bible (Plyo, Legs) + Strength Training Workout Plan?

Hey all, for anyone who has looked into the Vertical Jump Bible, I'm looking to combine their "Novice Plyometric Workout" with the "Novice Strength Training Program". Now, in the Plyometric part the author says it can be combined with a strength training program as long as you limit the plyo to 2 times per week. In the Strength Training part the author says to add the plyo for the last two phases of the strength training.

My question is, can I combine both of these programs and just start at the same time with each? I'm also incorporating this into my regular workout, so it would look something like this:

MONDAY: Chest
    TUESDAY: Back, Abs, + {Plyo #1 + Strength Training Legs #1}
    WEDNESDAY: Rest
    THURSDAY: Biceps, Triceps
    FRIDAY: Shoulders, + {Plyo #2 + Strength Training Legs #2}
    SAT: Rest
    SUN: Rest

Is it fine to proceed this way? I don't have much experience at all with squats but I play basketball..or do I need to wait until Phase 3 and 4 to add the plyo in?

jstarks4444 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump......any help please?

azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Firstly, if you have read the book you will know about the general pre requisite for a half decent jump.

Do you have at least a 1.5xbw squat and sub 10% bf?

If not, you jumping ability will improve by you getting stronger and/or lighter

secondly, your strength template looks ****

body builders train muscles, athletes train movement patterns

As an athlete your primary - no, your only - goal is to get stronger. Period. Outside the gym you can work on skill, technique, conditioning, plyometrics, court IQ etc.

Do this:
    1) Get strong i.e. 2xbw squat
    2) Get lean - not bodybuilder lean, but you dont want excess weight
    3) Increase conditioning ~ 4-weeks
    4) Add plyos
    i dont compete against you. i compete against myself yesterday, last week, last year

No one system of training is better than all of the other systems. However, proper training always involves common elements. These are hard work, abbreviated training programs, progression, good form, and motivation - Brooks Kubik

JustWin4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Similar to what he said, if your limit strength is lacking then focus on a lifting, if your limit strength is good then focus on dynamic strength-plyos.

JustWin4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was doing something similar to what you are thinking about but scrapped it in favor of SS so I could rapidly increase my limit strength in squats, deads, and cleans. When I get to my desired level I am going to go back to the VJB.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IIRC there is a novice routine that lays out both plyos and strength training together. Two lower body strength workouts + 2 novice plyo workouts should work good.

Also, I believe he mentions if you're playing basketball you're already getting a lot of inadvertent plyo training with all the jumping you do in practice and games, and you don't really need more jumping work at all. I think strength work + plyos + basketball is probably too much. I'd keep the additional plyo work low intensity, stuff like ankle bounces and whatnot if you do go ahead with them.

Anyways, read the whole thing.