.44_magnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rugby blog - time to get fit

After last season I've decided it's time to get properly fit. I'll be doing WS4SB3 throughout the summer along with a lot of conditioning after my exams are over. 6 is my preferred position however I find myself covering front row a lot.

Anyway:

Monday
    BB Bench Press 3*3/Weighted Dips/CGBP (Triceps have always been my weak point).
    Chin Ups 2*max
    DB Rows SS Seated DB Power Cleans 3*8
    BB Shrugs 3*8
    Barbell Curls 4*15

Tuesday
    Box Squat into Box Jump 3*8
    Bulgarian Split Squats 3*10
    Romanian Deadlifts 3*12
    Russian Barbell Twists 4*8

Thursday
    Flat DB Bench Press 4*12
    Chinups SS Seated DB PCs 3*12
    DB Lateral Raises 4*8
    BB Shrugs SS Dips 3*10

Friday
    Back Squats 3*3
    Bulgarian Split Squats 3*12
    Glute-ham raises 3*8
    Situps

Height: 6'
    Weight: 13stone 9lb
    Last edited by .44_magnum; 05-17-2010 at 10:11 AM.

redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think your missing the mark a little with Westside training.

First of all you have drawn out already BB Bench Press and Back Squats as your ME movements on ME Upper and ME Lower days. Westside is all about constantly switching your ME movements and even accessory movements to address your weaknesses. For example if you have trouble with your Bench Press at lockout, then focus on that portion (triceps) and your bench numbers will necessarily increase:
    Week 1 - Floor Press
    Week 2 - Floor Press with chains or bands
    Week 3 - 2 or 3 Board Press
    Week 4 - CG 2-3 Board Press

Second, your rep scheme is way too high. Westside is all about maxing out and taxing your CNS. WS4SB calls for working on your 1-5 RM but traditional Westside and what I have found much more effective is working in the 1-3 RM range.

Keep in mind that you should be changing your accessory lifts, maybe not as often as your ME movements but often enough to address any weaknesses you see if your ME lifts. Again, say you are weak off the chest with bench press, there is no point in putting extra focus on your triceps because they aren't inhibiting your bench press. Focus on extra rowing to strengthen your lats to help you press from the bottom and add in some paused or reverse band bench press work to strengthen the bottom portion of your bench.

Here's a list of ME movements that I love:
    ME Upper
    Floor Press
    2 or 3 Board Press
    CG 2 or 3 Board Press
    Reverse Band Bench Press
    Bench Press with chains and/or bands

ME Lower
    Back Squats with chains and/or bands
    Front Squats with chains
    Deadlifts with bands
    Reverse Band Deadlifts
    Rack Pulls
    Good Mornings (regular or chain suspended)
    Deficit Deadlifts

...chastise me all you want but I absolutely hate box squatting, just not my cup of tea

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions I'll be popping in and out frequently

EDIT:
    If you're looking at my list of ME movements and are worried about not having the proper training tools (board press boards, chains, bands, etc.) to add variation to your movements, I have accumulated all of these for under $100 by making them myself instead of buying pre-made ones online (except bands because they are moderately cheap online). If you would like to know how to make these I can help you out with that too.
    Last edited by redstriped; 05-16-2010 at 09:35 PM.

.44_magnum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Gym tonight, it should be fun (after a couple of hours of revision). btw I'm a smoker so bear tha tin mind if you see terrible cardio performances.