Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000)

Parents working out is motivating kids to join in , but should they ?

Well when i set my mind to something I normally do it with a huge bang . I research all options , talk to as many people i can . Then once i got my info i jump into it 100 % . Well this time it was because i made a promise to my kids ages 7 , 9 , 13 that i will allow them to do martial arts . We started in January 2010 , well needless to say my lifestyle was not what it should be . Therefore martial arts kicked my ass . But I enjoyed it , so did my kids , then i discovered BB.com and started my new path into getting myself back into shape training 6 days a week .

Well guess what , this is now rubbing off on my kids and they also want to start working out as daddy is more relaxed , in a better mood and is looking more fit than they have ever seen him . So my thoughts were :

SHOULD I ALLOW MY KIDS TO TRAIN WITH WEIGHTS AS WELL ?

So why not get your kids involved with you and by doing that create a fantastic bond between you and them , my feeling is if you start this from young you will iron out a lot of troublesome teenage years , as most of us tend to not spend enough time with our kids because of our lifestyles

Here is what i have found and i'd love it to get some feedback from the parents in this bb family .

Strength training, not weightlifting Benefits for young athletes Who benefits most? Guidelines for youth strength training A healthy habit for a lifetime

The young athlete in your family is disciplined and devoted, squeezing in practice whenever he or she can. Now your child wants to start strength training. You've heard coaches and other parents talk about strength training, but you wonder — is strength training really good for a child?

The answer is yes. Strength training exercises that are supervised, safe and age-appropriate offer many bonuses to young athletes.

The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Sports Medicine, and the National Strength and Conditioning Association all support strength training for kids — if it's done properly. Today's children are increasingly overweight and out of shape. Strength training can help put them on the lifetime path to better health and fitness.

Strength training for kids — not to be confused with weightlifting, bodybuilding or powerlifting — is a carefully designed program of exercises to increase muscle strength and endurance. Weightlifting, bodybuilding and powerlifting are largely driven by competition, with participants vying to lift heavier weights or build bigger muscles than other athletes.

This can put too much strain on young muscles, tendons and growth plates, especially when proper technique is sacrificed in favor of lifting larger amounts of weight.
    Strength training for kids, however, isn't about lifting the heaviest weight possible. Instead, the focus is on lighter weights and controlled movements, with a special emphasis on proper technique and safety.
    Your child can build muscle strength using:
    • Free weights
    • Weight machines
    • Resistance bands
    • His or her own body weight

Strength training for kids has gotten a bad reputation over the years. Lifting weights, for example, was once thought to damage young growth plates — areas of cartilage that have not yet turned to bone. Experts now realize that with good technique and the right amount of resistance, young athletes can avoid growth plate injuries. Strengthening exercises, with proper training and supervision, provide many benefits to a young athlete.
    Supervised strength training that emphasizes proper technique:
    • Increases your child's muscle strength and endurance
    • Protects your child's muscles and joints from injury
    • Helps improve performance in a particular sport

Your child may gain other health benefits from strength training, too. These include:
    • Better heart and lung function
    • A healthy body composition
    • Stronger bones
    • Lower blood cholesterol levels
    • A good fitness habit that lasts a lifetime
    Some studies suggest that improved self-esteem and a decreased chance of depression also are upshots of strength training. Your child may get a feel-good boost after improving his or her performance.
    Strength training benefits older preteens more than younger kids. At the age of 5 to 6, kids should be focusing on body awareness and body control, balance, running, jumping and throwing.
    Strength training also helps those kids who have a focused interest in a particular sport. For example, a figure skater or dancer who has a goal of jumping higher can improve with strength training. Football players, soccer players — just about all young athletes — can enhance their performance with a strength training program.
    Because technique and proper form are so important, don't let your child begin strength training until he or she is mature enough to accept directions. A good rule of thumb is if your child is old enough to participate in organized sports, such as hockey, soccer or gymnastics, he or she is ready for some form of strength training.
    The right strength training program for your child isn't just a scaled-down version of what an adult would do. Many adult programs focus on fewer repetitions and heavier weights. A youth strength training program needs to focus on:
    • Correct technique
    • Smooth, controlled motions
    • Less resistance and many repetitions
    Your child's coach can tailor a strength training program for your child according to your child's age, size, skills and sports interests. The general principles of youth strength training are:
    • Provide instruction. Show your child how to perform strength training exercises using controlled breathing and proper form. You might ask a trained professional to demonstrate. If you enroll your child in a class, make sure there's at least one instructor for every 10 students to ensure that your child receives proper instruction.
    • Supervise. Adult supervision is important to reinforce safety and good technique. For instance, if your child lifts weights to strength train, a spotter — someone who stands ready to grab the weights — can step in if the weight becomes too heavy. As a parent, you can get involved in strength training, too. You can supervise your child and serve as a positive reinforcement for healthy lifestyle habits.
    • Warm up; cool down. Have your child begin each workout with 5 to 10 minutes of a warm-up activity, such as walking, jogging in place or jumping rope. This makes muscles warm and ready for action, all the while minimizing the risk of injury. End each workout with a cool down, including some light stretching.
    • Think light weights, controlled repetitions. One set of 12 to 20 repetitions at a lighter weight is all it takes. Kids don't need weights specially sized for them. They can safely lift adult-size weights as long as the weight isn't too heavy. The resistance doesn't have to come from weights, either. Resistance tubing can be just as effective — especially for younger kids.
    • Rest between workouts. Establish a rest period of at least a day between strength training workouts. Two or three sessions per week are plenty.
    • Track progress. Teach your child how to fill out a chart of which exercises, how many repetitions, and what weights or resistance he or she uses during a workout. It will be helpful in monitoring progress.
    • Add weight gradually. Only when your child masters proper form should you add weight. If your child can't do 10 repetitions at a certain weight, it's too heavy.
    • Keep it fun. Vary the routine often. Kids are more likely to stick with strength training if they don't get bored by it.
    Results won't come overnight. But over time, you and your child will notice a difference in your child's muscle strength and endurance.
    If your child shows an interest in strength training, know that it can be a safe and effective activity. Along with aerobic exercise, stretching, and balance and stability, strength training is one part of a well-rounded fitness program.
    Encourage physical activity in your child — it's a key step to becoming a healthy adult.
    Sources: http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/HQ/01010.html

Potential Benefits of Youth Resistance Training

• Increase muscle strength
    • Increase muscular power
    • Increase local muscular endurance
    • Increase bone mineral density
    • Increase cardiorespiratory fitness
    • Improve blood lipid profile
    • Improve body composition
    • Improve motor performance skills
    • Enhance sports performance
    • Increase resistance to injury
    • Enhance mental health and well-being
    • Stimulate a more positive attitude towards lifetime physical activity

Published by the President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports Washington, D.C.
    My Personal mottos
    Do the correct form and don't stroke your ego lifting heavier with bad form.
    Stay of a bloody scale and concentrate on measuring tape to see progress.
    No one can make you mad it is your choice if you want to get mad.

smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smace1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Since I started P90x my youngest 10 is joining in and I think it is great. Some great information. Thanks for sharing.

Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000) Time-Man is just really nice. (+1000)
    yup , you know when i was about my son's age my dad also started playing around with weights , he never really went full on into it like i am doing at the moment but funny enough i am now 42 and i have still very fond memories of me "working out" with my big strong dad doing weights , pity so few parents realize how much we are actually a role model for our kids , and what better role model to be than a fit and healthy dad or mom , my way of thinking is : if more of us can be that role models then maybe we can stop this trend world wide of obesity ?
    My Personal mottos

ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally I think it is fine as long as they are properly supervised for form, weight, ego etc. If you are doing it as a family, or at least you are participating by supervising/spotting even better.

My son is big into football and just turned 14 this month. He has been lifting weight since he was 12 but only seriously over the last year. When he was first starting out I supervised, didn't push him but made sure he was doing it properly. It was really more of an experimental thing for him. This was a good phase actually as he would be semi-serious for several weeks and make good gains, then slack off and when he came back, he couldn't believe how much progress he lost. He learned on his own that if you want to make gains you need the consistency. I think this is an important lesson to learn.

Last year after spring football season I put him on a 5x5 strength program. He progressed really well and stuck with it as he was completely motivated to get much stronger for football this spring. Well today was his first season game of the year and it really paid off (proud dad time) as he ran in 5 TD's. I think he is really happy and is learning how hard work can pay off.

D

fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thank you for the information!!!

Yes I strongly believe kids should do strength training. My older son who is about to be 10, has played football for the past 3 years. When he first started he was a little on the heavy side, from lack of activity. Once he started with football, I put him in IT training which is core strength training and cardio, plus running drills that they would normally do during practices. Needless to say that it has slimmed him down which has helped him become a better player, it has given him agility and speed. But most importantly it has given him confidence.

I believe strength training for youths not only teaches them about health but also gives them the confidence to tackle anything life throws at them!!!

Plus it's such a great feeling when I bring him to the gym with me and he and I do our cardio together, it has def. brought us closer together!

pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I consider high school to be the appropriate time to start weight lifting. Sure some kids could be ready earlier but its hard to know when the long bones have stopped growing. Before then I think its best to use body weight as resistance.

Consider more of a bootcamp style of workout for the younger kids. They'll probably think its pretty cool. Ideal exercises would be things like pushups, pullups, lunges, no weight squats. Look for some plyometric workouts, things like jumping, skipping, high knees, bear walking, crab walking, human wheelbarrows. Do agility and coordination drills with cones.

They are great exercises for you too Dad.

Well doing martial arts with my kids and also there is a lot of other kids diff ages in my class i realised with a helluva shock how inactive kids of today has become , due to TV and computer games .

They just don't get outside anymore like we used to when we were their age and it is really shocking to see that kids sub 12 has got little to no flexibility anymore , lol what i also have come to realise is that training your kids or training with them you have to remember that not to take it too seriously , because of their attention span don't force them to do a STRICT routine , to them it is still just for fun and being with their mom or dad doing something special between the two of you .

And keeping that in mind by "play" training you making sure they build the MUSCLE memory to do exersizes in the correct form , this in turn will help them later in life should they decide to go on weight training not to hurt themself by try doing exersizes in poor form . And as i originally posted strength training is the way to go as they can not add muscle as we do , due to the lack of hormonal development in pre adolecents .

"Since children lack adequate levels of circulating androgens to stimulate increases in muscle hypertrophy, it is believed
    that neural adaptations are primarily responsible for training- induced strength gains during childhood. Several researchers reported significant gains in muscle strength in children without concomitant increases in limb circumference, as compared with age-matched controls (Ozmun, Mikesky, & Surburg, 1994; Ramsay et al., 1990). The observed training- induced gains in muscle strength in children have been attributed to neural adaptations including changes in motor unit activation and motor unit coordination, recruitment and firing. Researchers also postulate that intrinsic muscle adaptations as well as improvements in motor skill performance and the coordination of the involved muscle groups could be partly responsible for training-induced strength gains in children (Ramsay et al., 1990). In a review
    of this topic, Sale (1989) noted that untrained children may have more difficulty activating their muscles compared to adults and therefore may have more of a potential for an increase in strength due to neural factors rather than as increases due to hypertrophic factors."
    My Personal mottos

Youth Resistance Training Guidelines

Resistance training can be recommended to children and adolescents as one part of a well-rounded physical activity program that also includes games and activities designed to enhance cardiorespiratory fitness, flexibility, agility, and balance. The following guidelines should be considered by those who are interested in helping children and adolescents participate in resistance training programs.

1. Adapt the program to the participant’s developmental level.
    Although there is no minimal age requirement for participation in a youth resistance training program, first exposure to resistance training activities may be informal.

For children beginning resistance training, it is important to choose activities that match abilities. For example, body weight calisthenics and exercises with elastic cords or lightweight medicine balls are often appropriate for young resistance trainers. During this time children are unable to delay gratification in pursuit of some future benefit like strong bones. Adherence to more formal training programs requires emotional maturity and the ability to follow directions. These are characteristics possessed by most, but not all children, by the middle elementary school years.

Abstract, rather than concrete thinking, begins to emerge in the upper elementary school years and at this time participants are more likely to see the benefits of a more comprehensive resistance training program. By adolescence, interest in resistance training may be greater and the ability to tolerate more structured training programs with more advanced exercises may be higher.

2. Instruction by qualified professionals is essential.
    Youth resistance training programs should be conducted by qualified instructors, teachers, and coaches who understand the fundamental principles of resistance exercise and the uniqueness of childhood and adolescence.

Close supervision, age-appropriate instruction, and a safe exercise environment are paramount. A pre-training medical exam is not required for apparently healthy youth; however, professionals should refer participants with known or suspected health problems
    to their health-care provider before beginning a resistance training program.

3. Start gradually and progressively increase overload.
    It has been recommended that children and adolescents resistance train two or three days per week on nonconsecutive days and perform 1 to 3 sets of 6 to 15 repetitions on a variety of exercises that focus on the major muscle groups (Faigenbaum et al., 1996).

However, when beginning a resistance training program, performing a single set of 10 to 15 repetitions per exercise twice per week will not only allow for positive changes in muscle function, but will also provide an opportunity for participants to gain confidence in their abilities before progressing to more advanced levels (Faigenbaum, Westcott, Loud, & Long,
    1999).

Over time, continual gains can be made by gradually increasing the resistance, the number of repetitions, or the number of sets. On average, a 5% to 10% increase in training load (typically 2 to 5 pounds) is appropriate for most exercises. Once the desired number of repetitions can be performed, the weight can be gradually increased, and the repetitions can be decreased to allow for continual gains. This does not mean that every workout needs to be more intense that the previous session, but over time the demand placed upon one’s body should be gradually increased.

4. Adherence to sound training principles is critical.
    Appropriate overload, gradual progression, and adequate recovery between exercise sessions are important considerations. Too often, the volume and intensity of resistance training exceeds a participant’s capabilities and the rest periods are too short for adequate recovery.

This approach may be particularly hazardous for young children because it not only increases the risk of injury, but it may undermine enjoyment of the resistance training experience. Although it may be tempting to follow a college resistance training program or a workout described in a fitness magazine, each participant must be treated as an individual and therefore the training intensity, volume, and progression needs to be carefully prescribed.

5. Proper technique should be taught and reinforced.
    Although some participants might want to see how much weight they can lift on the first day of the program, their interest and enthusiasm in resistance training should be redirected toward developing proper form and exercise technique (i.e., controlled movements and proper breathing). In some cases it may be appropriate to use an unloaded barbell or a long wooded stick when teaching youth how to perform multi-joint free weight exercises.

6. Emphasize intrinsic enjoyment.
    When working with youth it is important to focus on intrinsic factors such as skill improvement, personal successes, and having fun. The use of personalized workout logs can help to focus each participant’s attention on his or her own improvement.

7. Incorporate variety into the training program.
    Adding new exercises, changing the training mode, and varying the number of sets and repetitions can help to keep the program fresh and challenging. Incorporating calisthenics, elastic cords, and medicine balls into the resistance training program can be effective, beneficial, and fun.

8. Consider multiple goals.
    When working with boys and girls, it is important to remember that the goal of the program should not be limited to increasing muscle strength. Teaching youth about their bodies, promoting safe training procedures, and providing a stimulating program that gives participants a more positive attitude towards resistance training and physical activity are equally important.

9. Listen to children and teach them to listen to their bodies.
    Regardless of the strength or size of a child, adult training guidelines and training philosophies (i.e., “no pain, no gain”) should not be imposed on young resistance trainers.

Adults need to listen to each participant’s concerns, monitor progress, and understand the physical and psychological uniqueness of children and adolescents. Some youth with poor levels of fitness may not be able to tolerate the same amount of exercise some of their peers in the same training program can tolerate.

This is where the art and science of developing a resistance training program comes into play because the principles of training specificity and progressive overload need to be balanced with individual needs and abilities in order to optimize gains, prevent boredom, and reduce the stress from overtraining. Detailed information on designing youth resistance training programs is available elsewhere (Faigenbaum & Westcott, 2000).
    My Personal mottos

imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thank you for all the great Info.

This was a great Post I started researching because my son who is 9 is always coming out to the garage/gym while i'm working out wanting to join in so I finally said ok one day and let him doing some chin ups and push-ups and body squats and he loved it but I always hear strength training is bad for kids and will stunt their growth and since he is already so small i kept him away form working out. But he also plays pop warner football where I have seen hard hits and pile ups which looks a lot more strenuous on his lil body then weights. So this was great information that I will use to get him his own light body weight and light weight routine going.
    * People ask me what Diet pill im takin i tell'm i'm on Hard work, sacrifice and dedication! go get you some!

My Transformation Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153231711&p=1054443621#post1054443621

My pleasure m8 , my son is 8 and also wanted to "workout" with his dad , and i started reading up on it to get the info and decided to share it with my bb family cause i felt there is more dad's like us out there who's kids want to be like dad
    My Personal mottos

imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10) imfocused is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah when I 1st signed my son up for football last year i thought that he would want to quit because he had not done any real physical activity besides playing. but instead he came off the field with his helmet just smiling from ear to ear saying how much he loved it. we are currently doing some off season speed and agility training and he loves that to even though he admits it is hard but he loves it.
    * People ask me what Diet pill im takin i tell'm i'm on Hard work, sacrifice and dedication! go get you some!

My Transformation Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153231711&p=1054443621#post1054443621

David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wow! A lot of info on one of my favorite subjects. I always try to chime in on this subject with hopes of informing parents and coaches of the benefits of resistance training.

I have recently had resistance locally (even elementary school coaches) in regards to my sons lifting. They are 14 and 8. Some of you may remember the vid of my 2nd grader deadlifting 155 lbs. a few months ago. Boy, that turned into a can of worms! A lot of support by the informed, and then the "other" side. We seldom let either of them go near max weights, but occaisonally let them go to something they can handle for a few reps.

Anyhow, my baby goes to school, and the "coach" asks is he still lifting. He says, " yes mam, I squatted 185 last week". I got a note sent home advising me of the danger. Yes, it is a bit of weight, but Coach doesn't know he's good for about 6 reps at this weight DURING a workout. I only let him do something this heavy 2-3 times a year. I know I'm a bit on the extreme with this, but it is not the weekly norm, he is capable, and I do have 25+ years of experience.

My 14 year old has lifted since 5th grade. Mostly form, technique, and conditioning. His growth plates are fine, and he is not average in ability due to genetics and TRAINING! He has and is developing a strong skeletal and muscle system. His growth has not been stunted - 6' tall, 220lbs.

PS - If there is an "edge" into limits, I realize I go near it, but think about this - we put helmets on our kids and tell them to go run wide open into someone or thing, but some believe that resistance is surely what will injure them??

What gets to me is the sheep mentality of humans . They hear something somewhere and then blindly believe that to be true instead of doing just a lil research and get the info themself . Well i want my kids to grow up healthy and i love spending that "special" time with them that will stay with them for the rest of their lives . As i said earlier i still have very fond memories of me being same age as my son now "working out " with my late dad
    My Personal mottos

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My daughter is 8 but has been doing one form of strength or fitness training since she was about 6. I used to check her into the childcare facility at the gym, but she was not content with that and wanted to do what daddy was doing. Most gyms don't allow young children (for good reasons!) so I got her a weight set and taught her to squat, deadlift, curl, press and floor press with a light weight (about 20#). Her form is very good! She actually got upset with a young boy who was visiting and using her weights because he wasn't squatting correctly.

On Saturdays, my CrossFit gym has a workout that is open to children so, of course, I bring my daughter. She often out-performs me on the various bodyweight exercises and chides me for being too slow.

My daughter's gym is Discover Gymnastics. She takes classes in gymnastics, tumbling, and fitness and her coaches often remark about how strong she is and how hard she works. I'd like to think I had something to do with that. Whenever my kid asks for a piece of fitness equipment, I run out and buy it. That's how we ended up with the weight set. She also asked for a punching bag. It now hangs below her loft bed. When she asked for assistance bands to help her improve her chinups and upper body strength, she didn't have to ask twice. With the support I've given her and the guidance of her coaches, she's on her way to getting onto the gymnastics team in the fall and that's where the fun will really begin.

I'm not particularly driven that my daughter become a gymnast or weightlifter or whatever. I just want a healthy, strong, and motivated youngster. I didn't exercise regularly until I turned 40 years old and I often regret not starting earlier. If I have anything to do with it, my daughter will not have similar regrets.

Originally Posted by sytennison View Post
    She often out-performs me on the various bodyweight exercises and chides me for being too slow.
    ^^ This is too precious !! ROFL yup we "old dads" also got to watch out for that . LOL . Great post m8 , repped
    My Personal mottos

David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sytennison View Post
    i'm not particularly driven that my daughter become a gymnast or weightlifter or whatever. I just want a healthy, strong, and motivated youngster.
    this!!!!!