Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tags1919 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Casein and Urinating issues

Ive been drinking casein protein regularlu for the past couple of years. 2 scoops in 15 ounces of water, usually an hour before bed. Lately I have been waking up in the middle of the night with a painful urgency to urinate. It's gotten worse over the past year, not on the painful scale but in the fact that it's every night, even on nights when I don't drink a protein shake just before bed. Anyways, I talked to my PCP about it and he said not to worry since it's only once a night and since I'm relatively young, 26, that it's not a prostate problem just probably a small bladder.

Anyone else have any issues with this?

Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin29 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tags1919 View Post
    Ive been drinking casein protein regularlu for the past couple of years. 2 scoops in 15 ounces of water, usually an hour before bed. Lately I have been waking up in the middle of the night with a painful urgency to urinate. It's gotten worse over the past year, not on the painful scale but in the fact that it's every night, even on nights when I don't drink a protein shake just before bed. Anyways, I talked to my PCP about it and he said not to worry since it's only once a night and since I'm relatively young, 26, that it's not a prostate problem just probably a small bladder.

Anyone else have any issues with this?

I dont take casein but i do eat cottage cheese and then drink a glass of water before bed and i usually really gotta go when i wake up and i wake up at like 530 am for work... so i think its just that your drinking something before bed
    And i ran till my legs burned and my heart pumped battery acid, then i ran some more

M.M.M ----> Mental Macro Math crew

ツ Forever Alone Crew ツ

BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrianSFL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Funny you mention this, because I've noticed the same thing. I just Googled "casein urination" and this post was the first thing that came up, among others on other websites. There doesn't seem to be any conclusive reason for this, but there are at least a number of us who experience greatly increased urination when taking casein, so clearly there's something to this. It got to the point where I stopped taking it, and now I stick to whey, and cottage cheese at night. Maybe some kind of allergic thing? I have no idea. Protein in general can cause increased urination, and maybe some people are just more sensitive to casein in this regard.

I noticed some days I was pissing up a storm, sometimes even three or four times while at the gym for two hours, having to go multiple times at work, etcetera. It got to the point where I was genuinely worried about it. Somehow or another, I realized this was only happening on days I took casein. I stopped taking it for a few days, then five days later took it again, and once again I had to urinate constantly.

It'd be interesting to hear any hard scientific facts about this.

Brofessor2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have the same issue. I tried to not drink 2 hours before bed. I still have to pee 3 times before bed and wake up once to pee. It's definitely the casein.

I have one more theory that I want to test next week. I might be eating too much protein. I weigh 78kg and am eating around 180g of protein each day. I'll try lowering my intake to around 150g and continue abstaining from drinking anything 2 hours before bed.

If that doesn't work, I'll just quit casein and replace it with some kind of meat snack.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I have whey before bed and it often makes me get up around 2am to pee. I think it's just protein metabolism at night. I don't think it's specific to casein or whey or any particular protein.

It's probably fine as long as you can go straight back to sleep IMO.

But no, you don't need 180g a day, 150 would be fine.

Virus and BS Free Jeff the Repper's Avatar
    Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jeff the Repper has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    find another time of day to get your shake in ( you don't need a pre-bedtime shake ) and maybe reduce your fluid intake a few hours before bed. if it persists go talk to a qualified physician.
    App Nut Lead Forum Rep

Jeff@appnut.com