Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Question What way of dieting has been most successful for you?

I'm looking for some good dieting information and what has worked for you. Looking more for something that is not too hard to do, especially for someone working 2+ jobs, with neither of them having a break-time nor a fridge to keep food.

Before you ask, this is for my GF and I recently gave her an ultimatum, either she starts losing weight or I will move on. Our entire relationship I have offered to workout together and help her, but to no avail. She is a few pounds less than me.

Please help me help her, she told me she is going to look into Jenny Craig, but I heard that is very expensive, although one of her friends got great results from it.
    “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” - Mahatma Gandhi.

☆ Mighty Matts that Appreciate pUniCepts Appreciation Crew Appreciation Crew ☆ Founder ☆

nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000)
    this is for my GF and I recently gave her an ultimatum, either she starts losing weight or I will move on. Our entire relationship I have offered to workout together and help her, but to no avail.
    Just end it, man. You either like someone as they are or you don't.

Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by nextsuperhero View Post
    Just end it, man. You either like someone as they are or you don't.
    She has gained weight since we have been together, so why can't she lose it while we are together?

I appreciate the relationship advice, but do you have any dieting advice?
    “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” - Mahatma Gandhi.

☆ Mighty Matts that Appreciate pUniCepts Appreciation Crew Appreciation Crew ☆ Founder ☆

pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mattf485 View Post
    Looking more for something that is not too hard to do, especially for someone working 2+ jobs, with neither of them having a break-time nor a fridge to keep food.
    Anything is plausible when you have the will to really attain it. She has to sit down and evaluate if she really is serious about losing the weight. If she doesn't want to work out with you or take your help then it's a loss cause. Something easy? If there was something easy to maintain weight then wouldn't we all be skinny. Also if she doesn't have a break time at either job when does she eat huh? There's no easy fix. I held two jobs in my 20's had 0530 PT (ROTC) in the morning and went to school full time and graduated. It's all about will. If she searches for a quick fix she'll just gain it back and then sum. You should journal what she eats, and have her find ways of putting in a little more cardio ie taking the stairs then the elevator, parking farther from the store, walking to the farthest restroom at work. Maybe invest in a ****meter to track it all. Best beat would probably have her see her doctor (dietitian)so he can run blood work and see if she had thyroids or any other medical problems causing the weight gain. Best of luck buddy
    Last edited by pandaloves02; 05-13-2010 at 01:26 AM.
    Fwiends please QQ

hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    She has to want to do this for herself! Not for you or anyone else. And definitly not because she's been given and ultimatum! When she's ready, she will seek out diet advice on her own. ANd BTW, if my significant other EVER gave me an ultimatum like that- he wouldn't have to worry about my weight at all cause I dump his ass faster than he could get the whole sentence out of his mouth.
    No effort is ever wasted, even the slightest attempt at transforming ourselves makes a difference. It is our patient cumulative effort that grows into self-realization sooner or later.

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you all are being harsh here. If she put on weight since they met, it's not unreasonable for it to be a turn-off. It also isn't unreasonable to think that a person who leads a healthy fit lifestyle wants a partner who feels the same. I am sure no one is in a place to judge.

That said, if she does it just for you, it probably won't last. As others have said, she needs to want to do it for herself. And just because she may complain about her weight (and I am just guessing on this), doesn't mean she is ready to make a change.

For me, low carb, high fat diets have worked best. 5 meals per day of equal macro proportions with my carbs being incidental from other foods and from vegetables.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is not a weight / fitness issue OP. This is a relationship - goals / on same page issue. As a couple you both need to evaluate what you want out of the relationship.
    Think about this; if she wasn't an avid drinker/partier b4 you met then that changed, how would you treat it? What if it was a small personality change (suddle)?
    Act like cameras are always watching you Crew

hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50) hvivona will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by erinlee01 View Post
    I think you all are being harsh here. If she put on weight since they met, it's not unreasonable for it to be a turn-off. It also isn't unreasonable to think that a person who leads a healthy fit lifestyle wants a partner who feels the same. I am sure no one is in a place to judge..
    Not saying its not unreasonable to be turned off by weight gain or wanting a partner with similar interests. What is unreasonable is the fact that he gave her an ultimatum to lose the weight or he'd walk. The relationship obviously has other issues than just weight.
    No effort is ever wasted, even the slightest attempt at transforming ourselves makes a difference. It is our patient cumulative effort that grows into self-realization sooner or later.

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hvivona View Post
    Not saying its not unreasonable to be turned off by weight gain or wanting a partner with similar interests. What is unreasonable is the fact that he gave her an ultimatum to lose the weight or he'd walk. The relationship obviously has other issues than just weight.
    Or he's being clear about where he stands. Obviously there are issues. But it's better to be open about what is bothering you than to not say anything and just stew about it.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OP is 22 and has been trying to get her to work out and eat better during their entire relationship. How will any suggestions from BB.com suddenly change this woman's thinking about weight, food, and self-image?

Here's a good lesson for the OP to learn at 22: You can not change a person. She is who she is and for you to utter such an ultimatum obviously means that it is time to part ways. You do not pick a partner and try to change them throughout your entire relationship. That's not a relationship. That is trying to mold someone into your idea of what kind of partner they should be.

This is absolutely a relationship issue and not a training/nutrition issue. If she recently got a bit chunky and was looking on here for advice to lose "X" lbs, that might be a training/nutrition issue. OP has been trying to influence this young girl into his way of life for the entire relationship - isn't that what us ladies are always accused of?? Trying to change a man?? It's the same thing. And it never works

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    OP is 22 and has been trying to get her to work out and eat better during their entire relationship. How will any suggestions from BB.com suddenly change this woman's thinking about weight, food, and self-image?

Here's a good lesson for the OP to learn at 22: You can not change a person. She is who she is and for you to utter such an ultimatum obviously means that it is time to part ways. You do not pick a partner and try to change them throughout your entire relationship. That's not a relationship. That is trying to mold someone into your idea of what kind of partner they should be.

This is absolutely a relationship issue and not a training/nutrition issue. If she recently got a bit chunky and was looking on here for advice to lose "X" lbs, that might be a training/nutrition issue. OP has been trying to influence this young girl into his way of life for the entire relationship - isn't that what us ladies are always accused of?? Trying to change a man?? It's the same thing. And it never works

Damn, i wish I could rep you again. This is golden.

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Have her PM me. I'll convince her to lose 190 pounds very quickly.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The best way I ever lost weight was to duct tape my mouth shut and super glue the cookie jars closed.

Wha???

Kidding.

Dude, if she wants to go to Jenny Craig, let her go to Jenny Craig. She's not looking at bodybuilding goals, right? Just to lose some fat, right? So if her diet is her problem, let her go to Jenny Craig. The portions are controlled and she'll have a support system. . .a support system that isn't YOU.

I don't know how to say this diplomatically, so I'm just going to say it: sometimes, you can't control what your partner does. My husband has a WEALTH of information about fitness and weightloss. He's DEGREED in those areas. Srsly. Can I work out with him? NO. Can I take his advice? NO. I don't know why. When he says something or makes a suggestion, all it does is make me feel worse than I already feel, because no matter how he REALLY says it and no matter what his intentions are, I hear criticism rather than help.

So, maybe she needs to do this without you and your input. Maybe you should let her go to Jenny Craig or some other nutritional plan/support program and let her do it her way.
    I am, after all, a heavenly blessed beauty, whose inner beauty and beauty is simply divine and everlasting.

Harry: Erica, will you be my flesh friend?
    Erica: What the hell is that?
    Harry: Phucicngbuttholemonster!
    Erica: WTH?

My Insanity Experiment: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=495939921#post495939921

Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by simpy View Post
    have her pm me. I'll convince her to lose 190 pounds very quickly.
    zomg!!! Ha ha ha ha!
    I am, after all, a heavenly blessed beauty, whose inner beauty and beauty is simply divine and everlasting.

My Insanity Experiment: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=495939921#post495939921

Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Spid3rMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Basically what I was trying to say.
    Act like cameras are always watching you Crew

Originally Posted by pandaloves02 View Post
    Anything is plausible when you have the will to really attain it. She has to sit down and evaluate if she really is serious about losing the weight. If she doesn't want to work out with you or take your help then it's a loss cause. Something easy? If there was something easy to maintain weight then wouldn't we all be skinny. Also if she doesn't have a break time at either job when does she eat huh? There's no easy fix. I held two jobs in my 20's had 0530 PT (ROTC) in the morning and went to school full time and graduated. It's all about will. If she searches for a quick fix she'll just gain it back and then sum. You should journal what she eats, and have her find ways of putting in a little more cardio ie taking the stairs then the elevator, parking farther from the store, walking to the farthest restroom at work. Maybe invest in a ****meter to track it all. Best beat would probably have her see her doctor (dietitian)so he can run blood work and see if she had thyroids or any other medical problems causing the weight gain. Best of luck buddy
    She joined a gym on her own and only went a few times, but we all know that weight is not lost in the gym, its lost in the kitchen. The reason I mentioned about her jobs having no break or fridges is this. You asked, how does she eat? We since there is no where to store the food, she has to order delivery. If she does do the Jenny Craig thing, I don't know if there are any food choices that don't have to be refrigerated or heated up? When she saw her gyno, the Dr. was surprised about how much weight she had gained and said some of it may be caused by her BC.

Originally Posted by hvivona View Post
    She has to want to do this for herself! Not for you or anyone else. And definitly not because she's been given and ultimatum! When she's ready, she will seek out diet advice on her own. ANd BTW, if my significant other EVER gave me an ultimatum like that- he wouldn't have to worry about my weight at all cause I dump his ass faster than he could get the whole sentence out of his mouth.
    I agree that she has to want to do it herself, of course she wants to lose weight, most girls do. Its just that none actually do any more than complain about it. Yes, the ultimatum is harsh, I didn't sugar coat it, but that's not all I said either. We had a good 45 min talk, I didn't just say that one statement to her randomly. On your side saying that you would have just dumped me if I said that to you, well maybe so and maybe that's for the best. I told her that if we did break up, she probably would lose weight because she would find the drive and I felt like our relationship was making her unhealthy.

I think you all are being harsh here. If she put on weight since they met, it's not unreasonable for it to be a turn-off. It also isn't unreasonable to think that a person who leads a healthy fit lifestyle wants a partner who feels the same. I am sure no one is in a place to judge.

That said, if she does it just for you, it probably won't last. As others have said, she needs to want to do it for herself. And just because she may complain about her weight (and I am just guessing on this), doesn't mean she is ready to make a change.

For me, low carb, high fat diets have worked best. 5 meals per day of equal macro proportions with my carbs being incidental from other foods and from vegetables.
    Do you make your meals all at once and portion them out into containers for the day?
    Originally Posted by Spid3rMan View Post
    This is not a weight / fitness issue OP. This is a relationship - goals / on same page issue. As a couple you both need to evaluate what you want out of the relationship.
    Think about this; if she wasn't an avid drinker/partier b4 you met then that changed, how would you treat it? What if it was a small personality change (suddle)?
    Yeah, I agree, if she all of a sudden changed as a person I would be put off.

You make a good point, but this is where I'm at. Shes a great person and we get along well. Its just that she gained this weight while she was with me, she lived her other 20 years just fine. Now I know a lot of women gain weight in relationships, so this is what I am trying to counteract. To me, this is not me trying to change her, this is me trying to figure out why she is gaining weight and help her reduce it. To me, trying to change her would be something about her personality, this weight gain is obviously not her and never was her until we started getting serious.

Originally Posted by Simpy View Post
    Have her PM me. I'll convince her to lose 190 pounds very quickly.
    Touche.

Originally Posted by Finner View Post
    The best way I ever lost weight was to duct tape my mouth shut and super glue the cookie jars closed.

Wha???

Kidding.

Dude, if she wants to go to Jenny Craig, let her go to Jenny Craig. She's not looking at bodybuilding goals, right? Just to lose some fat, right? So if her diet is her problem, let her go to Jenny Craig. The portions are controlled and she'll have a support system. . .a support system that isn't YOU.

I don't know how to say this diplomatically, so I'm just going to say it: sometimes, you can't control what your partner does. My husband has a WEALTH of information about fitness and weightloss. He's DEGREED in those areas. Srsly. Can I work out with him? NO. Can I take his advice? NO. I don't know why. When he says something or makes a suggestion, all it does is make me feel worse than I already feel, because no matter how he REALLY says it and no matter what his intentions are, I hear criticism rather than help.

So, maybe she needs to do this without you and your input. Maybe you should let her go to Jenny Craig or some other nutritional plan/support program and let her do it her way.
    Yes, I know all to well. Just like when we were kids, we did not want to listen to our parents, even if they were right, but if our friends told us the same things we would agree with them. I am totally for her trying Jenny Craig, I have nothing against it other than it may be expensive, but I would love for her to try it.

I cook my meals for during the day on Sundays and put them into containers that I can just pop into the microwave. Each morning I just need to take it out of the fridge and put it in my cooler.

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I cook my meals for during the day on Sundays and put them into containers that I can just pop into the microwave. Each morning I just need to take it out of the fridge and put it in my cooler.
    That's what I always did when I didn't have access to a fridge.

OP, your an ISSA certified trainer. Shouldn't you have some of the answers?
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You're posting in a female bodybuilding forum, not a female weight loss forum. The "dieting" that the women on here talk about goes hand in hand with their exercise habits. If your girlfriend isn't into bodybuilding or doesn't even work out, then you won't find much relevant advice on this site.

If she weighs 190 lbs then she's obviously eating too much and ANY diet will suffice as long as she's eating less calories (and healthier, if she eats junk). You don't *need* to exercise in order to lose weight when you're that heavy, so making attempts at dragging her to the gym with you isn't necessary because... A) if she won't work out on her own, how do you expect her to ever keep up with it? There is the rare occasion when the girlfriend develops an interest after shadowing the boyfriend but if SHE isn't instigating the workouts then that's just a dream. B) Even if she did start working out with you, if she doesn't change her eating habits then she'll probably gain weight (from thinking she can eat more just cause she works out now). The most important thing she should be concerned with is what she's putting in her mouth.

Apparently she has 2 jobs and no time to eat... If she is employed somewhere working part time or full time, and doesn't get 1 break... well that's illegal. I understand that there ARE jobs where you don't get set breaks, like in the restaurant business you eat whenever you have down time or whenever you can sneak food in. It's possible to eat at work and totally illegal for her employers to forbid her from making time to EAT since you have to eat in order to survive and you can't work with no energy..... No fridge at work, you can keep a cooler in your car, or stash a lunch bag filled with ice packs in her purse.

Edit-

"We since there is no where to store the food, she has to order delivery. If she does do the Jenny Craig thing, I don't know if there are any food choices that don't have to be refrigerated or heated up? When she saw her gyno, the Dr. was surprised about how much weight she had gained and said some of it may be caused by her BC."

Jenny Craig is a lazy way for her to lose the weight it's not like she weighs 300 lbs. She orders delivery... then she has options. Pizza places carry grilled chicken salads.
    Last edited by varukers; 05-13-2010 at 01:54 PM.

This route sounds good, need to figure a good grocery lists and prices of everything.

Originally Posted by Simpy View Post
    That's what I always did when I didn't have access to a fridge.

OP, your an ISSA certified trainer. Shouldn't you have some of the answers?
    Indeed, but if she listened to my answers, maybe I would not be here in the first place

Originally Posted by varukers View Post
    You're posting in a female bodybuilding forum, not a female weight loss forum. The "dieting" that the women on here talk about goes hand in hand with their exercise habits. If your girlfriend isn't into bodybuilding or doesn't even work out, then you won't find much relevant advice on this site.

If she weighs 190 lbs then she's obviously eating too much and ANY diet will suffice as long as she's eating less calories (and healthier, if she eats junk). You don't *need* to exercise in order to lose weight when you're that heavy, so making attempts at dragging her to the gym with you isn't necessary because... A) if she won't work out on her own, how do you expect her to ever keep up with it? There is the rare occasion when the girlfriend develops an interest after shadowing the boyfriend but if SHE isn't instigating the workouts then that's just a dream. B) Even if she did start working out with you, if she doesn't change her eating habits then she'll probably gain weight (from thinking she can eat more just cause she works out now). The most important thing she should be concerned with is what she's putting in her mouth.

Apparently she has 2 jobs and no time to eat... If she is employed somewhere working part time or full time, and doesn't get 1 break... well that's illegal. I understand that there ARE jobs where you don't get set breaks, like in the restaurant business you eat whenever you have down time or whenever you can sneak food in. It's possible to eat at work and totally illegal for her employers to forbid her from making time to EAT since you have to eat in order to survive and you can't work with no energy..... No fridge at work, you can keep a cooler in your car, or stash a lunch bag filled with ice packs in her purse.

Edit-

"We since there is no where to store the food, she has to order delivery. If she does do the Jenny Craig thing, I don't know if there are any food choices that don't have to be refrigerated or heated up? When she saw her gyno, the Dr. was surprised about how much weight she had gained and said some of it may be caused by her BC."

Jenny Craig is a lazy way for her to lose the weight it's not like she weighs 300 lbs. She orders delivery... then she has options. Pizza places carry grilled chicken salads.
    Well she works at a tanning salon and they do not give break nor have a break room, but I guess they are supposed to take their "down time" as a break. She always works the front door at a bar until about 2 a.m. and they definitely don't give breaks.

I'll try and figure out some healthy food choices that do not need to be refrigerated or heated up for her, such as salads, wraps, and sandwiches.

Originally Posted by CK_ALL_DAY_BRAH View Post
    warrior diet
    One meal a day?

She doesn't need a refrigerator. I have a large lunch box with ice packs in it that I keep at my desk.

pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pandaloves02 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mattf485 View Post
    She joined a gym on her own and only went a few times, but we all know that weight is not lost in the gym, its lost in the kitchen. The reason I mentioned about her jobs having no break or fridges is this. You asked, how does she eat? We since there is no where to store the food, she has to order delivery. If she does do the Jenny Craig thing, I don't know if there are any food choices that don't have to be refrigerated or heated up? When she saw her gyno, the Dr. was surprised about how much weight she had gained and said some of it may be caused by her BC.
    I'd like to know how much did she originally weight before. What was the time frame in in which she gain the weigh, a few months, years, and what's her height.

It sounds like you're making excuses for your girlfriend. Are you telling me that it never occurred to her to make a sandwich that didn't need to be refrigerated or bring microwavable soup to work, drink a meal replacer, or to have a cooler to store her food?! Can soups are bad of coarse, but I'm sure the foods she's ordering is far worse. The advice that everyone is giving you of making meals ahead of time sound like such a simple answer and it failed to cross either of your minds? There are so many alternative choices. It seems her will power is lacking in making the correct choices for herself. Yes girls complain about their weight most of us do, but that's what makes a difference between a person that just talk's (complains) and a person that puts words into action. A gyno is not a dietitian. Different field. A dietitian will NOT do blood work and find out other causes that may be leading to her weight gain. There may be other underling factors. Also your statement that weight is not lost at the gym.... it goes hand in hand with working out and proper nutrition. I never once stated for her to go to the gym in my original post. I assumed in the previous post that she doesn't go to the gym so i suggested her to find little ways in putting in a little more cardio at work ie, walking to the farther bathroom, parking further, using the stairs instead of the elevator. Stop making excuses and tell us the real problem. What has she done thus far since having this 45min talk with her about making a change? Does she really look like she's going to make a change. Has she made any changes? Can you tell us what she's eating? Is she keeping a diary of her foods? If she works at a bar wearing a ****meter can give her an idea of how much exercise she's getting. They're cheap 5-10 dollars. Give us a better idea of the situation so we can help.

She orders delivery... then she has options. Pizza places carry grilled chicken salads. This
    Last edited by pandaloves02; 05-14-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    Fwiends please QQ

Respectfully disagree that Jenny Craig is a lazy way for your girlfriend to lose weight. She's not body building or training for fitness; she just wants to lose fat and probably wants a simple way to get started. She's just your average, unaware person. . .a larger part of the population, actually.

Yes - it's EASY having your meals planned out for you or prepackaged, but what's the difference (other than the cost) of her ordering Jenny Craig and YOU "making her a sandwich?" But sticking to any program outlined by ANYONE, she'll lose weight. Now, it's clear that she won't take advice from you. So, she needs someone (a nutritionist, a dietician or the schmaltzy "Jenny Craig" people) to give stringent rules, outlines, meal plans, etc. That isn't necessarily lazy, it's just what she needs at this point. It's lazy if she doesn't learn anything from it; it's lazy if she wraps up a program and then goes back to her old ways, continuing to be unaware of her choices. But sticking to a program (don't care who outlined it) isn't lazy.

Let me make this clear: I am not a fan nor a follower of Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers or Nutrisystem and it wouldn't be the first thing I (or anyone else on this board) would think to tell someone to do, but it's obvious that this gal is at the end of the proverbial rope and WHAT WILL WORK IS WHATEVER MOTIVATES HER. Period.

If her abilities to follow through hinge on someone "in authority" (i.e. in this case, the Jennster) telling her EXACTLY what to do and EXACTLY when to do it, then great. It's a success for her. Lots of women have succeeded or used weight loss that followed one of these program as a jumping off point to learn more about exercise and nutrition. They feel better, look better and realize that there is more to life than crap-food and feeling bad about yourself. Of course, for every success like that, you probably have 50 more women who ARE lazy and revert to old food patterns, only to regain-gain-gain. . .

Anyway, like I said - NOT a fan of J.C., but if that goofy-ass program at least gets her STARTED and if it gets her excited about eating well, then for god's sake, let her do it! Then, maybe if she starts to see a little success, you can NICELY point out "Hey, you know. . you could make this yourself and it would be a lot cheaper for you. . ." You could teach her about the cals and the macros contained in the Jenny Craig crap. . .not as a critcism of HER or the program (so she won't get defensive and shut you out), but just as a happy suggestion.

Regardless of what she chooses, I hope she drops some fat - not necessarily for your relationship, but for her own sense of self-worth and well-being.

varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I meant that in a way where she isn't so obese to the point where she needs "professional" help and it would be more reasonable for her to go to a little website called google.com
    Also I'm sure there are Jenny Craig type of diet plans online somewhere for free.

This just reminds me of my mom's friend... she weighed about 250 lbs and got gastric bypass to lose weight. Now she has a ton of medical problems and is still eating the same types of food she was eating before (in extremely small portions). That's irrelevant but it's just the point. It's common for people to take extremes in order to fix small problems, because they are lazy.

I think you owe it to everyone who responded to post a list of what she eats in 1 day.

Working at the front door of a bar till 2am... correct me if I'm wrong but this makes me think she's only working that job a couple nights/week and not for very long hours (like getting there at 8pm). There's plenty of time during the day/morning for her to get enough food in her stomach to survive without food during that shift and I'm sure she can keep water or a protein shake stashed somewhere. My friend was bouncer at a club and still managed to place 1st in 3 bodybuilding competitions during the same time. The both of you are simply making excuses and I'm not surprised you mentioned birth control...
    Last edited by varukers; 05-14-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Originally Posted by varukers View Post
    I meant that in a way where she isn't so obese to the point where she needs "professional" help and it would be more reasonable for her to go to a little website called google.com
    Also I'm sure there are Jenny Craig type of diet plans online somewhere for free.

This just reminds me of my mom's friend... she weighed about 250 lbs and got gastric bypass to lose weight. Now she has a ton of medical problems and is still eating the same types of food she was eating before (in extremely small portions). That's irrelevant but it's just the point. It's common for people to take extremes in order to fix small problems, because they are lazy.

I think you owe it to everyone who responded to post a list of what she eats in 1 day.
    I cannot imagine that the O/P hasnt' shared with her a ton of information on losing weight, but since it's coming from HIM, she's obviously not listening.

Jenny Craig is nothing more than someone paying $40 bucks a week for a meal plan (based on glycemic index of foods I *think*) and weekly contact with a rep. That's all it is. (Although I'm thinking they also have a pre-made delivery service akin to Nutrisystems or some s hit like that.) So yes, the OP's girlfriend *could* find it for free. But would she get it right, follow it and get on the program or would she simply get lost in the overwhelming amount of information available, get confounded and give up?

And before, O/P, you make the mistake of me thinking that your girlfriend is "too dumb" to figure it out for herself, I'm NOT. I'm simply stating that she may be one of those people that needs very clearly defined perameters.

And comparing a diet plan one pays for to gastric by-pass surgery is ludicrous. A diet plan for whatever $$/wk is nowhere near the "extreme" nature of having someone go into your body and rearrange your ****.

Of course he is mentioning excuses. That's all anyone has when they are unhealthy. He is trying to work around her excuses, which is the appropriate way to go about it. Take away the excuses until she is forced to face the real reason she won't help herself.

And he doesn't "owe" us anything. The information would be helpful, but it certainly isn't "owed" anyone.

Sorry, I just can't judge someone for being where I was a few years ago.

VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VendettaV2b has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best/easiest diet IMHO is the 500 deficit diet. Its the only diet Ive ever been able to use.

In a nutshell

-Find maintenance
    -eat -500 or more if you can below maintenance
    -Eat whatever you want
    -Workout with weights atleast 3 times a week
    -Get your EFAs
    -Supps are a bonus to help

All info and discussion can be found here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121897971

Hope this helps and hope it all works out
    Reps for life: Iccyman001, Janky
    ---
    --

Originally Posted by Finner View Post
    I cannot imagine that the O/P hasnt' shared with her a ton of information on losing weight, but since it's coming from HIM, she's obviously not listening.

Jenny Craig is nothing more than someone paying $40 bucks a week for a meal plan (based on glycemic index of foods I *think*) and weekly contact with a rep. That's all it is. (Although I'm thinking they also have a pre-made delivery service akin to Nutrisystems or some s hit like that.) So yes, the OP's girlfriend *could* find it for free. But would she get it right, follow it and get on the program or would she simply get lost in the overwhelming amount of information available, get confounded and give up?

And before, O/P, you make the mistake of me thinking that your girlfriend is "too dumb" to figure it out for herself, I'm NOT. I'm simply stating that she may be one of those people that needs very clearly defined perameters.

And comparing a diet plan one pays for to gastric by-pass surgery is ludicrous. A diet plan for whatever $$/wk is nowhere near the "extreme" nature of having someone go into your body and rearrange your ****.
    Going to the Dr/ Dietitian will also do this. The Dr/ Dietitian will also run blood work and will schedule a follow up. We don''t know if the weight gain is from BC, depression, or some other factor. Seeing your Dr/ Dietitian he/ she can prescribe some medication that can help, inform her on what exercises are safe for her size and weight to get started and he/she will also map out a meal plan that she can buy at the store and follow with exact amounts to consume.
    Fwiends please QQ

Originally Posted by pandaloves02 View Post
    Going to the Dr/ Dietitian will also do this. The Dr/ Dietitian will also run blood work and will schedule a follow up.
    That's actually the *best* idea and a great place to start. And perhaps having medical data can help give her some stringent rules to follow. And if her meds are the issue, then it's *definitely* a physician's area (She'll have to work w/ her regular physican for the meds, though. Dietitians can't prescribe.)