tboxtutor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Working out after gyno surgery

I cross posted this as I first put it in Misc. but not many serious stuff is posted on there so thought here would be better, hope you don't mind.

I recently had gyno surgery (male breast removal). Its been a couple of months. I've been scared of going back to working out because I have some left over lumps of breast tissue and a lot of swelling.

I'm using Andractim gel (topical DHL) to reduce the size of the breast tissue.

The surgeon said I should be fine to workout and lift weights, but my GP says not to coz I have a lot of swelling so maybe I shouldnt do anything too heavy.

I feel really low cause I used to train a lot and am really depressed as my muscles are disappearing and I'm getting weedier. Lifting weights is what gave me self-confidence, it felt good to be able to lift heavier than before.

Can guys give me advice on EVERYTHING or anything?.. like should I lift weights? is there anything I can do to reduce swelling? Will the Andractim work if there is so much swelling?

dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) dropforce is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tboxtutor View Post
    I cross posted this as I first put it in Misc. but not many serious stuff is posted on there so thought here would be better, hope you don't mind.

I recently had gyno surgery (male breast removal). Its been a couple of months. I've been scared of going back to working out because I have some left over lumps of breast tissue and a lot of swelling.

The surgeon said I should be fine to workout and lift weights, but my GP says not to coz I have a lot of swelling so maybe I shouldnt do anything too heavy.

I feel really low cause I used to train a lot and am really depressed as my muscles are disappearing and I'm getting weedier. Lifting weights is what gave me self-confidence, it felt good to be able to lift heavier than before.

Can guys give me advice on EVERYTHING or anything?.. like should I lift weights? is there anything I can do to reduce swelling? Will the Andractim work if there is so much swelling?
    Did you get gyno from working out and taking the wrong supps?

tboxtutor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hormones imbalance

Originally Posted by vlazy View Post
    Did you get gyno from working out and taking the wrong supps?

No, I got Gyno from a natural hormone imbalance, I don't produce enough T. I take testosterone in small amounts and have had surgery to get rid of a lerge amount of breast tissue (not fat). Plus now I take Andractim topically on the lumps of breast tissue left over.

Just wanna know if I can workout. If working out will make the swelling worse?

offwrk007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Pregnancy
    Expecting a Baby? Choose the Right Hospital For Your Delivery
    If you’re expecting a baby but have never been a patient in a hospital before,...

GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm actually getting the surgery done Friday myself and posted a thread with the exact same title last night haha. How long has it been since you had the surgery? Here's what I've been directed to do as far as working out goes post op:

First Week: Rest, take my medications, eat clean and rest some more.

Week Two: Light cardio can start early in the week (walking around the neighborhood or on a treadmill for as long as I wish) progressing into heavier cardio towards the very end of the week (running).

Week Three: As much cardio as I want, as well as light lower body lifting (avoid training the back and chest).

Week Four: Chest and back exercises can be introduced again with a light weight assuming it doesn't cause pain or discomfort. Hit legs and cardio heavy if you feel up to it.

Weeks five / six: Gradually increase the weight until you're back to your normal lifting habits/weights you were previously at before the surgery.

This was the rough outline given to me. Obviously everybody will heal at a different rate and be effected by the surgery differently. The main idea is to use conservative discretion: If it hurts or feels weird, don't do it. Post surgery isn't a time for a "no pain, no gain" mentality.
    Last edited by GSZ1; 05-12-2010 at 03:37 PM.

GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSZ1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Gotta say you have me kind of anxious and a bit more worried about this procedure now... You're still really swollen after two months? I was under the impression I'd be close to back to normal after a couple months, except for scarring, which would gradually fade over a period of about a year.

DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GSZ1 View Post
    Gotta say you have me kind of anxious and a bit more worried about this procedure now... You're still really swollen after two months? I was under the impression I'd be close to back to normal after a couple months, except for scarring, which would gradually fade over a period of about a year.

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the original problem, what was done, skill of the surgeon, and many other factors. What swelling you see on my pages is typical for my patients. But I am using techniques that permit me to show such early after surgery images, most surgeons will not show such early after surgery pictures.

Return to activity after any injury including surgery, is something like returning after a sprain. If the tissues are too injured, pushing them too soon will cause further injury and swelling. In bodybuilding no pain, no gain. In healing, ignore the pain and you can screw the gain.

Reduction of swelling begins with choosing the right surgeon and the doctor's technique. After that, After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Garments are a major factor that each of my patients are fitted before the operation. Patient education about the limitations of healing and other issues are among other factors that make a difference.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
    Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
    Michael Bermant, MD
    Board Certified
    American Board of Plastic Surgery
    http://www.PlasticSurgery4U.com