Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Keto Log (First time on Keto, advices appreciated!)

Hey guys!
    I'm pretty much new here and also new to Keto diets. I have spent the last week reading as much infos as i could on my free times and decided i should move on and try a Keto diet!

Ok some infos on me... I am 23 years old, i currently weight 172,2Lbs and I'm 5p 11'. I consider myself to be an Endo-Mesomorph. On February 5th, i started a new life. I subscribed to a gym, started a "low carbs" diet and have quit smoking and drinking alcohol. On that same day, i spoke with a trainer at the gym and got my BF% taken. I stepped on an electrical balance with my bare feet and... I was at 29,6%BF @ 200Lbs. So yeah, i lost close to 30 pounds since that day Unknown BF% for now tho. All that with a clean "low carbs" diet and 5-6 days workout for 1h45-2hrs. Now, i want to try something different to lose that remaining fat i have.

My body has changed quite a lot ever since February. I got more muscular (So probably lost even more than 30pounds) and almost lost my love handles. I still have some fat on the bottom of my stomach and around my pecs etc... Which is what i want to lose for summer. I heard great things from Keto diets about loosing fat quickly (If done correctly) while keeping muscle mass.

With the help of a "BMR calculator site", I found out that i need to eat ~1900cals a day to maintain my weight. Minus 500 = ~1400cals. But i do heavy weight training 5-6 days a week + i have a moderate active job. Some days i can lift 400boxes and some days i can lift 30 and do paper work. I'm a grocery manager. I am not sure how much cals per day i should be eating...?

Ok so here goes for the diet :

Let's make it in that order : Cals\Fats\Carbs\Prots
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06:30 AM :
    - 4 whole omega-3 eggs 280\20g\4g\24g
    - 4 slices of bacon (32gr cooked) 172\12g\0g\12g
    - 2 tsp butter (for cooking) 70\8g\0g\0g
    + 1 Omega-3 cap + 1 Multi-V + 1 Glucosamine + 1 CLA-80
    (Sub total = 522\40g\4g\36g)

09:30 AM:
    - 1\3 cup (40g) walnuts 280\26g\2g\6g
    - 40gr white cheese 160\14g\0g\9g
    (Sub total = 440\40g\2g\15g)

00:30 PM :
    - 100gr (Cooked) half-lean ground beef with salt free spices 266\18g\0g\26g
    - PAM (for cooking) 10\1g\0g\0g
    - 2 cups (130gr) raw spinach 26\0g\1g\4g
    - 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil + 1 tbs 100% Nat. apple cider (Dressing) 130\14g\0g\0g
    (Sub total = 432\33g\1g\30g)

03:30 PM :
    - 90gr red whine dry sausage 111\18g\3g\24g
    (Sub total = 111\18g\3g\24g)

04:30 PM (Pre-workout) :
    - 1 scoop Dymatize Xpand XtremePump + 500ml water 6\0g\1g\0g
    (Sub total = 6\0g\1g\0g)

05:30 PM (Intra-workout) :
    - 20gr BCAA (Powder) + 1 Crystal light + 500ml water 10\0g\1g\0g
    (Sub total = 10\0g\1g\0g)

06:30 PM (Post-workout) :
    - 2 scoops Isoflex "peanut butter chocolate" 236\1g\4g\54g
    - 30gr Glutamine + 500ml water
    - 2 PurpleK caps
    (Sub total = 236\1g\4g\54g)

07:30 PM :
    - 275gr fish (Salmon\Trout) with salt free spices 487\22g\0g\71g
    - 150-200gr broccolli 75\1g\4g\6g
    - 1\2 tbs extra virgin olive oil (for cooking) 65\7g\0g\0g
    (Sub total = 627\30g\4g\77g)

Total per day =
    Cals : 2384
    Fats : 162g
    Carbs : 20g
    Prots : 236g

NOTE : I drink around 4-5L of water throughout the whole day.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my training goes, i do 5-6 days a week and 1h45-2h everytimes. I do 10mins @ 75% cardio before weight lifting and 25mins HIIT after. It's a 4 days split-up routine with different muscular group everyday.

Also, i decided i would be doing a cycled ketogenic diet and each Friday or Saturday night (Starting from 7:00PM till midnight) i would be eating a lot of carbs. Either pasta\bread\rice or all 3! Plus i will be eating a dessert with sugar in it (chocolate, ice cream, candies etc...)

Questions :
    - Normally, when i do my cheating night, i don't train for that day. Is that correct?
    - Also, is it okay to be eating sugar after my carb-up meal?
    - I decided i would be doing a one night cheating every week instead of a whole day since i'm probably around 18%BF. Is that right?
    - While on this kind of diet, should i be doing low intensity cardio or HIIT cardio is okay?
    - Ok, i found a Nutrional value board with all(...) and for 200gr lean ground beef it gives me a certain amount for cals\prots\fat\carbs... But what about when you cook that meat? It probably looses all of it's fat so the numbers are wrong? I took 250gr of half-lean ground beef today and cooked it. Once i drained the liquid fat excess, it gave me 175gr of cooked beef... Can someone help me on that one?

Any advices\opinions\critics etc... are welcome! This forum is my source of inspiration (You guys are!) and I'm glad to be part of it!
    Last edited by Unexpect; 05-12-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Did some minor changes...

Working hard, so focused. mgalli921's Avatar
    mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Questions :
    - Normally, when i do my cheating night, i don't train for that day. Is that correct?
    - Also, is it okay to be eating sugar after my carb-up meal?
    - I decided i would be doing a one night cheating every week instead of a whole day since i'm probably around 18%BF. Is that right?
    - While on this kind of diet, should i be doing low intensity cardio or HIIT cardio is okay?
    - Ok, i found a Nutrional value board with all(...) and for 200gr lean ground beef it gives me a certain amount for cals\prots\fat\carbs... But what about when you cook that meat? It probably looses all of it's fat so the numbers are wrong? I took 250gr of half-lean ground beef today and cooked it. Once i drained the liquid fat excess, it gave me 175gr of cooked beef... Can someone help me on that one?

Any advices\opinions\critics etc... are welcome! This forum is my source of inspiration (You guys are!) and I'm glad to be part of it![/QUOTE]

If you're cutting watch your calories.
    Otherwise all looks well, I would be careful with walnuts and other "dense" nuts like that as well as cheeses. Great for keto but must obey serving sizes... they are very calorie dense and will up your calories quickly... also carbs intake on walnuts could get quite high.

Answers to your questions:
    1. that's personal preference to you... personally I think you should train that day, this way even if you eat like ****, you're not at a total loss, you at least worked like a beast earlier in the day and can enjoy yourself at night... less guilt in my eyes
    2. this depends on you and how far you get kicked out of ketosis... I know my body any sugar I get pretty much kicked out... watch your sugar content though... I know for me too much sugar in one sitting makes me think twice about dieting, could be a down fall...
    3. Good idea! Why cheat the entire day when you can cheat in one meal, less **** you take in less **** you have to burn... that's probably a very smart move on your part.
    4. HIIT is just fine for this kind of diet I do it whenever I do cardio (if I'm doing cardio)
    5. Usually on the packaging it tells you raw vs. cooked, I know on mine it does so I wouldn't be able to tell you this one sorry..

Good luck and stay strong!

Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Unexpect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mgalli921 View Post
    If you're cutting watch your calories.
    Otherwise all looks well, I would be careful with walnuts and other "dense" nuts like that as well as cheeses. Great for keto but must obey serving sizes... they are very calorie dense and will up your calories quickly... also carbs intake on walnuts could get quite high.

Answers to your questions:
    1. that's personal preference to you... personally I think you should train that day, this way even if you eat like ****, you're not at a total loss, you at least worked like a beast earlier in the day and can enjoy yourself at night... less guilt in my eyes
    2. this depends on you and how far you get kicked out of ketosis... I know my body any sugar I get pretty much kicked out... watch your sugar content though... I know for me too much sugar in one sitting makes me think twice about dieting, could be a down fall...
    3. Good idea! Why cheat the entire day when you can cheat in one meal, less **** you take in less **** you have to burn... that's probably a very smart move on your part.
    4. HIIT is just fine for this kind of diet I do it whenever I do cardio (if I'm doing cardio)
    5. Usually on the packaging it tells you raw vs. cooked, I know on mine it does so I wouldn't be able to tell you this one sorry..

Good luck and stay strong!
    Thank you very much for taking time to help me and answer my questions! I appreciate it a lot!

I have a few more questions for you tho, if you don't mind I had a look at other nuts like almonds, pecans etc... and of all nuts i could find, walnuts were the ones with less carbs. That is why i decided to go with them. Do you think there is a better choice of nut to be eating everyday?

Also, is it true that if, for example, 1\3 cup walnuts = 5gr carbs but has 3gr of fiber = net carbs 2gr?

As for cheese, thanks i will double-check my serving sizes

Unfortunately, it isn't written on the package raw vs cooked for the lean ground beef i buy Oh well, if someone else can help me find a nutrition value for that one. I didn't found one yet.

And the big question... do i have enough FAT in my diet? Because i thought it was 65% FAT, 30% PROT and 5% CARBS. I have more prots than fat in my diet. Is it still considered as a keto diet? I am clueless ATM on how i could improve on FAT without adding cals.

Thanks a lot!

mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Unexpect View Post
    Thank you very much for taking time to help me and answer my questions! I appreciate it a lot!

I have a few more questions for you tho, if you don't mind I had a look at other nuts like almonds, pecans etc... and of all nuts i could find, walnuts were the ones with less carbs. That is why i decided to go with them. Do you think there is a better choice of nut to be eating everyday?

Also, is it true that if, for example, 1\3 cup walnuts = 5gr carbs but has 3gr of fiber = net carbs 2gr?

As for cheese, thanks i will double-check my serving sizes

Unfortunately, it isn't written on the package raw vs cooked for the lean ground beef i buy Oh well, if someone else can help me find a nutrition value for that one. I didn't found one yet.

And the big question... do i have enough FAT in my diet? Because i thought it was 65% FAT, 30% PROT and 5% CARBS. I have more prots than fat in my diet. Is it still considered as a keto diet? I am clueless ATM on how i could improve on FAT without adding cals.

Thanks a lot!
    Walnuts are a great nut, but dont discount almonds...great nutrient profile. Its really not worth it for peanuts...not as good IMO.

You are right on the carbs, subtract fiber from carbs, this equals net carbs.

Cheese, moderation. Cheese seems (for some reason, lactose maybe?) to stall weight loss. It was very big in my diet when I started, but its rare that I even eat it.

Beef, consider macros as cooked. We dont eat raw meat. I use calorie count on about.com. This is a GUIDE, dont take it as gospel.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...nt-lean-i23570

Beef, 85/15, cooked. Even method that its cooked. I use this, to be more sure.

And now, for math.
    Total per day =
    Cals : 2425 - 65% of this number is 1576 calories.

Fat: 9 cals per gram
    Fats : 170g = 1530 cals

Carbs: 4 cals per gram
    Carbs : 18g= 72 cals

Protein: 4 cals per gram
    Prots : 233g= 932 cals

You are very keto my friend.

Fat, WILL be less in grams, because it has MORE calories per gram.
    ~ Infinite Labs Rep
    http://infinitelabsstore.com/

♦♦ I Am Juggernaut Challenge ♦♦ Win a Trip to the 2011 Mr. Olympia!!!
    www.iamjuggernaut.com
    http://iamjuggernaut.com/rules.pdf

Group Juggernaut!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/group.php?groupid=30172

Visit Infinite Labs on ********:
    http://www.********.com/InfiniteLabsSupplements

ROM and MMC are more important than EGO
    400Lb Gorilla

mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mgalli921 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^^dead on with the nuts I like pecans because 1g net carb... but a lot of cals

and carbs - fiber = net carbs correct.

in terms of everything looking good, if you need more fat think outside the box Olive oil pure is the easiest way, cocunut oil, **** even fish oils straight are easy.

Well, you guys made my night! I am so glad i managed to create my own keto diet with all the infos i found here! Thanks all for taking time to answer my questions! Really appreciated! I just can't wait to actually start that diet plan tomorrow morning! So exited! It's like a new challenge for me a i love it! I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks again!

mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, you guys made my night! I am so glad i managed to create my own keto diet with all the infos i found here! Thanks all for taking time to answer my questions! Really appreciated! I just can't wait to actually start that diet plan tomorrow morning! So exited! It's like a new challenge for me a i love it! I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks again!
    Just remember...you will hit the keto wall. Days 1-5 or so (not for everyone)...you will feel sluggish, low/no energy...brain fog...you might have trouble finding the right words to say...stringing sentences together.

This is ALL normal. It will pass, we all go through it. Interested to see how it goes for you! Any other questions, feel free...this is a learning process and we all start at zero at some point...I had my questions answered by nice folks here as well.
    ~ Infinite Labs Rep

www.iamjuggernaut.com

Group Juggernaut!

400Lb Gorilla

Originally Posted by mtfx View Post
    Just remember...you will hit the keto wall. Days 1-5 or so (not for everyone)...you will feel sluggish, low/no energy...brain fog...you might have trouble finding the right words to say...stringing sentences together.

This is ALL normal. It will pass, we all go through it. Interested to see how it goes for you! Any other questions, feel free...this is a learning process and we all start at zero at some point...I had my questions answered by nice folks here as well.
    ^^ same goes from me just make sure you push through the first few days as they are the toughest then it's all easy from there

check my log out for any more info needed Matt's Keto diet (is it good??) been going since January

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks a lot mtfx!

^^ same goes from me just make sure you push through the first few days as they are the toughest then it's all easy from there

check my log out for any more info needed Matt's Keto diet (is it good??) been going since January
    I sure will check it out, big thanks to you as well

PS: I did some minor changes because today i hooked my pan fried bacon on my scale and the result was 32gr. So i changed from 50gr to 32gr of grilled bacon and then the numbers changed a bit. So i added a 4th egg instead heh.

I also found out that i am missing a bit of fat. So i might add a lil something extra.
    Last edited by Unexpect; 05-12-2010 at 04:46 AM.

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks a lot mtfx!

I sure will check it out, big thanks to you as well

PS: I did some minor changes because today i hooked my pan fried bacon on my scale and the result was 32gr. So i changed from 50gr to 32gr of grilled bacon and then the numbers changed a bit. So i added a 4th egg instead heh.

I also found out that i am missing a bit of fat. So i might add a lil something extra.
    easy way to add fat, fishoil, flaxseed, olive oil on of those <--

easy way to add fat, fishoil, flaxseed, olive oil on of those <--
    Thanks I thought of adding maybe some oil (good ones) or coconut milk to my postworkout shake. But i'll have to check out the nutrional fact for the coconut milk tho.

ATM I'm feeling a bit low on energy. But as soon as i eat (every 3hours) i get back to normal or even over normal on energy Heh.
    Last edited by Unexpect; 05-12-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Well, after 2 days on that diet, i felt pretty pumped up this morning during my training but by the end... i was low on energy. After i took my post-workout shake, it boosted me up. And i found out that my energy wasn't stable today. Especially tonight at work!

Also, when i got back home (1h20mins ago) i just couldn't handle the hunger. I took a spoon-full of almond butter. It quite helped. And that was it. Drank a lot of water then. I think 2400cals is very low for me. I am starting to wonder, i am very active... 2hrs of gym everynights + my work... Might up the calls a lil if i find out I'm too low on energy after a week. What you guys think?

Now, it's time for bed! Heh

Well, after 2 days on that diet, i felt pretty pumped up this morning during my training but by the end... i was low on energy. After i took my post-workout shake, it boosted me up. And i found out that my energy wasn't stable today. Especially tonight at work!

Also, when i got back home (1h20mins ago) i just couldn't handle the hunger. I took a spoon-full of almond butter. It quite helped. And that was it. Drank a lot of water then. I think 2400cals is very low for me. I am starting to wonder, i am very active... 2hrs of gym everynights + my work... Might up the calls a lil if i find out I'm too low on energy after a week. What you guys think?

Now, it's time for bed! Heh
    You need to listen to your body. The low energy is due from the body trying to enter ketosis, its not the cal intake. what are you doing at the gym that takes 2 hours though? Your gym time should be short and sweet...remember, you dont cut AND gain mass...you dont lose weight AND build muscle. You dont need to do crazy sets and crazy reps bud...this is the time to maintain set weight while dropping body fat.
    ~ Infinite Labs Rep

www.iamjuggernaut.com

Group Juggernaut!

400Lb Gorilla

You need to listen to your body. The low energy is due from the body trying to enter ketosis, its not the cal intake. what are you doing at the gym that takes 2 hours though? Your gym time should be short and sweet...remember, you dont cut AND gain mass...you dont lose weight AND build muscle. You dont need to do crazy sets and crazy reps bud...this is the time to maintain set weight while dropping body fat.
    Thanks for the infos m8! Yeah, 2hrs might be long but i do around 35mins of cardio (10mins before and 25mins HIIT after. And around 1hr of weight training. My gym sessions are pretty intense! But tonight i met my 2 futur personal trainers and i will be starting a new diet + workout pretty much next week. First time for me with personal trainers. So i guess i won't be continuing a keto diet. A shame cuzz my body was getting into ketose... Oh well, we'll see what gives with that new diet! It'll be personalized for my own body and will be prepared by 2 excellent trainers

But thanks for all the help guys, it's really appreciated! I'll still be looking around, there is never too much infos to learn either on keto diets or succesful stories etc...