Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Iron Gym Xtreme Review with a few pics

Guys, I know we get a LOT of questions here about various doorway pullup bars and often refer people to a number of previous threads about the same topic. However, I wanted to make a legit and comprehensive review about one of these to include as much info as possible to help people make an informed decision.

I will be able to compare this (Iron Gym Xtreme) to the Everlast Doorway Pullup bar seen here:
    http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVCHBR
    and here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Multi...443629&sr=8-14

Because I have owned them both. However, most of this will just be my basic impression of the IGX on its own.

Why am I doing this? #1 I am an equipment whore and because of that I know that we all have different goals and needs when it comes to fitness and what equipment may best serve those goals. #2 I like for people to make informed purchases. There is nothing worse than throwing money down the drain and #3 I have done a few equipment reviews and added them to this site (Progryp ab slings, Ironmind dip belt and Fairtex open palm MMA gloves) and received good feedback/comments/reps.

Now, keep in mind what this type of setup is best made for. This is not for someone wanting to gain a bunch of muscle mass. This type of setup is great for someone who is training for a military style PFT that tests pushups, situps, pullups and a run. Also really good for someone doing P90X.

This will be good for someone that is specifically training to increase their pullup numbers by using "Grease the Groove," "Armstrong Pullup Program," "Twentypullups.com" or some other program that asks you to do daily (or often throughout the day) sets of pullups.

Now, for some pics:

Here is the box, unopened. Again, this is the Iron Gym Xtreme with the extra grip positions. It also comes with some ab slings. It cost me $24.99 at a local Ross discount store. I thought this price was pretty good, since I had seen them from $35.00-$45.00 for this version/model at Wal-mart.

Here are the contents of said box. They were individually wrapped in plastic and had thin foam over certain parts of each bar.

And a shot of the assembled bar from each side of the doorframe.

Note the little silver piece on this side. It is supposed to be there to help prevent the bar from slipping off.

Ok. So, lets break this down into a few categories.

#1 Packaging and assembly: Obviously you can see how it is packaged above. There is nothing breakable, so the packaging for this item works just fine. It took me all off 5 minutes to assemble and comes with all necessary screws and a wrench. Nothing else needed. All the screws seemed strong enough to feel safe and secure.

#2 Strength/Durability: This is a new item, so it has not stood any real test of time. However, it is clearly much heavier and stronger than the Everlast version that I linked above. The metal parts are definitely a gauge or two thicker on the IGX than the Everlast. I just weighed the assembled IGX and it was suprisingly right at 7 lbs! I dont have the Everlast anymore, I gave it to my cousin, but I think it was about 2 lbs. So there is definitely a difference in thickness of the metal as I suggested earlier.
    The IGX doesnt seem to want to budge while I do pullups with my 210 lb frame. I would not recommend adding a lot of weight to it, but I feel perfectly comfortable with my bodyweight. The Everlast, however, did tend to "give" a little bit when I used it. The weight limit for the IGX is listed at 300 lbs. For now, I will give the IGX an A for this category.

#3 Ease of use. The IGX gets an easy A for the grade in this category. It goes on the door frame in 2 seconds and you are ready to go and comes down just as easily. Most doorway models do have this same ease of use (except Perfect Pullup). So simple a caveman could do it.

#4 Other exercises/versatility: Well the advertisement tries to make you think that you can do pushups, situps and dips with this device. Is that true?....well, sort of. The IGX will hold your feet for standard situps while in the bottom of the doorframe. The pushup idea is not so great. The way the booklet shows it, the IGX WILL allow a couple of extra inches range of motion, but really only for one hand position, so to me, its not worth it. You can always use nearly anything to extend rage of motion for pushups anyways (dumbbells, books, 2 chairs, etc.
    And dips (essentially chair or bench dips and NOT full dips like a power tower would offer)are definitely almost worthless on this device. For me the range of motion was a few (very few) inches. This may be attributed to my large butt or just the fact that the IGX is NOT made for this. Dips are one of my favorite exercises, so I would like to find an easy way to do them anywhere, but again, a set of chairs would work MUCH better. As far as other exercises, this gets a C.
    However, the one benefit of the IGX (imo) over some other doorway pullup bars, is the multiple grip positions. If I am counting right, there are 5 positions on this bar, including the wider grips. When you mix up chinups (palms facing away) with pullups (palms facing you), plus the neutral grip (palms facing each other) versions... this gives you plenty of options for pullup training which is great. This offers many more positions than the Everlast version and several others that are popular, including the original Iron Gym seen here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total...3443629&sr=8-7

#5 Extras/bonuses: Aside from the IGX itself, this came with a pair of ab slings that can be used for leg raises and such. I will say, its nice to get free stuff, but there isnt much to these ab slings. Maybe I am biased because I was so impressed with the quality of the Progryp ab slings I bought, but these are very thin, less padded and attach via velcro. The velcro doesnt inspire much confidence, when you consider that I had this large carabiner on the Progryps:

However, they are free and if I had nothing, I would certainly use them.
    This also comes with a 10 page booklet that gives diagrams of the grip positions, different exercises and even some decent eating recommendations. Again, nothing special, but if this was my only piece of equipment and I was completely new to fitness and proper training/diet, this would be somewhat helpful.
    Just FYI, aside from what was mentioned above, they also sell a workout wall chart for $5.99 plus $1.99 shipping and a workout dvd for $9.99 plus $3.99 shipping.

FAQ
    What about if my doorframe________?

Well just as an FYI, since I see this question here a lot, the IGX fits doorways from 24"-32", however they do sell an attachment that makes it capable to fit doorways 34"-38" ($9.99 plus $6.99 shipping directly from them).
    They also sell wall brackets for those who have doorways without frames for $9.99 plus $6.99 shipping.

Also it should be noted that adding a set of gym rings to this really increases the possibilities. I highly recommend it.

Overall, I give this product an A for what it truly is. And what is that? A doorway pullup bar that is strury and offers plenty of hand positions...nothing more, nothing less. Well worth the $24.99.
    Last edited by buffbrown21; 05-09-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Outstanding review Buffbrown, very thorough. The only thing missed is what happens if you try to use it from the reverse side? Will it fall off the door frame? And injure you? Then you'll have to file a law suit?

JK bud, great review ;-)
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 25

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice Buff!! I have the original Iron Gym and use it daily while I am doing the Recon Ron program. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It works great. As far as the ab slings. I use them every Saturday when I do VKR's and they are fine. You expressed some concern about the velcro but they don't slip or loosen up at all.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by yankeemarko1 View Post
    Nice Buff!! I have the original Iron Gym and use it daily while I am doing the Recon Ron program. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It works great. As far as the ab slings. I use them every Saturday when I do VKR's and they are fine. You expressed some concern about the velcro but they don't slip or loosen up at all.
    Well, like I said in the review, they cant touch the quality, strength and comfortability of the Progryp ones I bought from this site. Its like comparing a Weider bench to an Elite FTS one. However, as stated, if they were all I had, I would use them and of course the fact that they were included with this package is a plus.

www.ShankAZombie.com

Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Philsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great review and the equipment looks very solid. Does it work on door frames that don't have trim around them? Most of my doors don't have the trim. My house was built in 1958 and there's nothing above the door, just plaster over drywall.

Phil.

Originally Posted by Philsworld View Post
    Great review and the equipment looks very solid. Does it work on door frames that don't have trim around them? Most of my doors don't have the trim. My house was built in 1958 and there's nothing above the door, just plaster over drywall.

Phil.
    I answered that in the FAQ part of the review. They sell brackets that you have to screw into the wall. So, if you dont want to screw it into the wall, this may not be the pullup bar for you.
    Last edited by buffbrown21; 05-10-2010 at 07:16 PM.

www.ShankAZombie.com

shameless bump

www.ShankAZombie.com

Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great review...Repped !
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."~~~Benjamin Franklin

Bump in order to help those that dont search.

www.ShankAZombie.com

Another bump since we still get 1-2 pullup/iron gym bar threads per week.

www.ShankAZombie.com

fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireworkz03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by buffbrown21 View Post
    Another bump since we still get 1-2 pullup/iron gym bar threads per week.
    nice review.. would this cause any damage to the door frame because its supporting lots of weight when used ?

Originally Posted by fireworkz03 View Post
    nice review.. would this cause any damage to the door frame because its supporting lots of weight when used ?
    There have been reports of small marks and or indentations being made on the doorframe trim that the two sides rest against (the side facing the user). I have experienced this as well, but it is barely noticeable. I would think a lighter user (I am a little over 200 lbs) might not have this issue. So, no REAL damage as far as I am concerned, but some minor marks/dents to the trim.

Also, as an FYI, I went by Ross discount store again this week and saw several of these (the Xtreme version) for $19.99.

Also, I want to be clear, I DO NOT prefer this bar to a pullup bar that is mounted to a power rack or something like the Sorinex ACME 2010. I feel those products are far superior and obviously much more stable than ANY doorway pullup bar. I reviewed this because it is effective for what it is and for certain people's goals (see 1st post for an explanation). Some people may have little or no room, live in an apartment or whatever that does not allow them to use a super stable rack attached pullup bar. Thats perfectly fine, you use what you can and for $20, this does the job well.

www.ShankAZombie.com

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I get what you mean about those ab straps. It might be cool if I was using them to angle with just feet above the ground but if someone wants to bring their knees all the way up (especially if they are also bringing up their feet) and just kind of psych and out focus on hanging instead of catching themself if they fall, velcro just is not something to make one feel secure.

You mentioned the Perfect Pull Up and I think they also use a carabiner system and looks pretty nicely padded:

I have tried a couple of the different leverage-mounted ones and I think they are good for hanging or if you are doing very slow stable reps, but I am afraid of the forward/back momentum sometimes generated when people are exploding, like how one might tend to kip during a pull up to cheat like during those Crossfit workouts, if it pulled away from the door then all the weight would be on the rear upper bracket of the door and could slip off (those metal pin things look like they would bend easily over time).

Another issue is, in some cases the bordering on door frames just isn't that strong, it just tears away from the wall. If you've got an okay grip you can even test this just trying to pull it away with your fingers beforehand. But if you have one of those solid homes it would hold it just fine. Otherwise if it's a cheap one, the ones that screw onto the inside of the door frame (which is always more solid) would be safer.

One big problem with the PPU system though, in terms of the bodyweight rows, is that works ideally if you have a perfectly flat inner door frame. I found out after the fact (because I didn't notice it enough to process the potential problem until all the screws were in) that for some odd reason, the frame widens against after only coming in slightly to stop the door, meaning the swinging arms will hit it when there's the slightest forward pressure, denting/blacking it up and making an annoying noise that disturbs neighbours.
    Last edited by Tyciol; 10-15-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    I get what you mean about those ab straps. It might be cool if I was using them to angle with just feet above the ground but if someone wants to bring their knees all the way up (especially if they are also bringing up their feet) and just kind of psych and out focus on hanging instead of catching themself if they fall, velcro just is not something to make one feel secure.

You mentioned the Perfect Pull Up and I think they also use a carabiner system and looks pretty nicely padded:

I have tried a couple of the different leverage-mounted ones and I think they are good for hanging or if you are doing very slow stable reps, but I am afraid of the forward/back momentum sometimes generated when people are exploding, like how one might tend to kip during a pull up to cheat like during those Crossfit workouts, if it pulled away from the door then all the weight would be on the rear upper bracket of the door and could slip off (those metal pin things look like they would bend easily over time).

Another issue is, in some cases the bordering on door frames just isn't that strong, it just tears away from the wall. If you've got an okay grip you can even test this just trying to pull it away with your fingers beforehand. But if you have one of those solid homes it would hold it just fine. Otherwise if it's a cheap one, the ones that screw onto the inside of the door frame (which is always more solid) would be safer.

One big problem with the PPU system though, in terms of the bodyweight rows, is that works ideally if you have a perfectly flat inner door frame. I found out after the fact (because I didn't notice it enough to process the potential problem until all the screws were in) that for some odd reason, the frame widens against after only coming in slightly to stop the door, meaning the swinging arms will hit it when there's the slightest forward pressure, denting/blacking it up and making an annoying noise that disturbs neighbours.
    I dont like the Perfect Pullup (the system itself, not the ab straps) because it requires you to drill into the door frame.

And yes, I WOULD NOT do any type of kipping pullups on any doorway bar, including this one. I would think that is obvious, but who knows.

As far as the door frame, it doesnt need to be THAT strong, because of the cantilever system. Most of the pressure is going against (pushing towards) the frame, not pulling away. This is what causes the dents that I mentioned a few posts back. The metal pin is NOT holding the Iron Gym in place. There is no pressure on that tiny piece of metal. If there were, there would be a good reason to be concerned. Again, the cantilever system prevents the pulling of the door frame trim to a large extent.

www.ShankAZombie.com

RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RippedJohn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You're like the review king. That was very thorough and informative.

Bump bc I have seen 3 Iron Gym question threads within the last week or so.

www.ShankAZombie.com

InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) InsanityGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1 View Post
    Outstanding review Buffbrown, very thorough. The only thing missed is what happens if you try to use it from the reverse side? Will it fall off the door frame? And injure you? Then you'll have to file a law suit?

JK bud, great review ;-)
    culdnt agree more! legit review!!!!

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    You mentioned the Perfect Pull Up and I think they also use a carabiner system and looks pretty nicely padded
    I've got a set of Perfect Pullup Ab Straps. I got them for only $20 and the value can't be beaten. I see other ab straps for $50-70 and the quality isn't all that different. For 6 sets a week, can't go wrong with it.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have this pullup bar and just wanted to add a little something....

I do a lot of travel for business and take this thing with me. I can take it apart into 3-5 pieces and it fits nicely in a medium sized duffle bag that I have and can be reassembled in 2 minutes.

My one complaint is with the wide grips. They are spaced out about 4-6 inches from the main bar which puts a lot of extra stress on both the IGX and the door frame it is hanging from. I have noticed the IGX deflecting when doing wide grips to the point where those grips are clsoe to an inch lower than the main bar (when they are normally at the same height). I've never had it fall off or break, and the deflection is not permanent, but I feel like that woulnd't be the case if I weighed the 300 lbs. they rate it at.

So with that said - I would still highly recommend this bar, just be careful if you are heavy.

Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    I've got a set of Perfect Pullup Ab Straps. I got them for only $20 and the value can't be beaten. I see other ab straps for $50-70 and the quality isn't all that different. For 6 sets a week, can't go wrong with it.
    I have seen those and yes, they do the job fine, especially for their price. HOWEVER, the straps I have mentioned (which were really just mentioned as a side note in this review) are MUCH better quality. Probably to the level of being over the top, but I know that I will never have to buy another pair.

www.ShankAZombie.com

v8ers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great review! Thanks for sharing the info.

BTW, you mention the ab straps coming in the box. I've also read some instances where people had to send in for their ab straps (free, but they had to pay for shipping and handling). Do you know why there's this difference?

Originally Posted by v8ers View Post
    Great review! Thanks for sharing the info.

BTW, you mention the ab straps coming in the box. I've also read some instances where people had to send in for their ab straps (free, but they had to pay for shipping and handling). Do you know why there's this difference?
    Im not sure if that was another difference between the standard Iron Gym and the Iron Gym Xtreme (which I reviewed). But it clearly said on the box that they were included.

On a side note, my local Ross discount store is still stocking these in my area (Georgia) for $24.99. I saw some in there just yesterday.

www.ShankAZombie.com

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have seen those and yes, they do the job fine, especially for their price. HOWEVER, the straps I have mentioned (which were really just mentioned as a side note in this review) are MUCH better quality. Probably to the level of being over the top, but I know that I will never have to buy another pair.
    I don't think I saw this when you posted it initially.

I think that investing in quality is always a good idea. It may seem over the top when you have to pay the bill, but in 2-3 years will you remember the cost? Of course not. You'd remember if you had to go back and buy another set. Knowing that you'll have them forever is a nice reassurance. I've never known anybody to regret buying quality in the long run. Can't say that for people who have "cheaped out".

astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50) astrostu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thread necromancy! I'm looking to get this kind of device. I see that Wal*Mart has this exact one, "Iron Gym Xtreme," for $25. Meanwhile, Amazon is selling "Iron Gym Total Upper Body" for $38. I don't see anything on the Iron Gym website about the differences -they seem to only be selling the latter now.

Any ideas?

robotronic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've never heard of total upper body but I have had xtreme for a month and it's been fine. no marks above my door or anything. I always worry when I use it but it's been fine. I got mine for a bit less than 25, I think i found a walmart coupon online or something, but it's not a bad price.

Originally Posted by astrostu View Post
    Thread necromancy! I'm looking to get this kind of device. I see that Wal*Mart has this exact one, "Iron Gym Xtreme," for $25. Meanwhile, Amazon is selling "Iron Gym Total Upper Body" for $38. I don't see anything on the Iron Gym website about the differences -they seem to only be selling the latter now.

Any ideas?
    I see that Amazon has the Total Upper Body version in Xtreme and regular. It appears to simply be the exact same item at the Iron Gym Xtreme and the regular Iron Gym.

Just stick with the Xtreme @ Wal-mart for $25.

www.ShankAZombie.com

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I dont like the Perfect Pullup (the system itself, not the ab straps) because it requires you to drill into the door frame.
    True, that's a real annoyance. I ended off being slightly askew when I put it in and had to fiddle a while with the drill to get things proper.

Then Perfect-Online decided to piss me off because they offer a dip bar attachment, but to use it, you need to screw in something else to replace it, meaning I would have to unscrew it and all that. Too much hassle so I'll probably just get freestanding high paralettes for dips.

As far as the door frame, it doesnt need to be THAT strong, because of the cantilever system. Most of the pressure is going against (pushing towards) the frame, not pulling away. This is what causes the dents that I mentioned a few posts back. The metal pin is NOT holding the Iron Gym in place. There is no pressure on that tiny piece of metal. If there were, there would be a good reason to be concerned. Again, the cantilever system prevents the pulling of the door frame trim to a large extent.
    I suppose, but door bordering can be incredibly flimsy. I found mine breaking away by exerting slight pressure through my finger-pads just trying to test it. They don't make'm like they used to I guess.

The main worry I guess is since there is going to be slight unavoidable momentum with form, if we swing away from the buffer pads, weight will go off them and then onto the frame, at which point it could rip off.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bumping a good thread.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Thanks Attyguy.
    I will do a follow up bump since we have had 3 Iron Gym question threads in about 5 days.

www.ShankAZombie.com

Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000) Aussieguy101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks Attyguy.
    I will do a follow up bump since we have had 3 Iron Gym question threads in about 5 days.

Great review, this thread needs a bump