Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000) Green54 is just really nice. (+1000)

Workout routine for 55 year old?

I'm trying to put together a beginning weight training workout for my mother who is 55 years old. I want to include a workout that uses a mix between free weights and cable machines. I have no clue where to start. What lifts should someone that old stay away from and what lifts would be best for someone her age. Can one of you lovely seasoned ladies help me out?

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Green54 View Post
    I'm trying to put together a beginning weight training workout for my mother who is 55 years old. I want to include a workout that uses a mix between free weights and cable machines. I have no clue where to start. What lifts should someone that old stay away from and what lifts would be best for someone her age. Can one of you lovely seasoned ladies help me out?
    My mum ->

Her age -> older than what you are asking about.

What we did tonight -> included deadlifts (conventional), OH Presses, Chin ups, DB bench press, DB rows, OH Lunges and all those other 'normal' lifts that 'normal' people do.

Age doesn't necessarily prevent you from performing anything.... YES there are a few things you need to be careful of:
    - flexibility is often decreased/ ROM in joints secondary to arthritis or muscle contracture... so be careful with stretch exercises or exercises that may result in joint injury (eg: behind the neck pull downs would be ridiculous)

- Elderly people have decreased balance, and are more at risk of falling... so be careful with exercises that require lots of balance, also be careful of changing position rapidly (increased risk of black outs/ syncope).

- Pelvic floor issues. especially an issue in females who have had bubs... So be careful with things that raise intra-abdominal pressure a lot...

- Sarcopaenia of fast-twitch muscle fibres occur as people get older - especially in the - so she may LOOK bigger and stronger than she is.... Especially in places like the GLUTES/ posterior chain.... so you would be best to focus on these muscle groups.

Then there are all the regular things:
    - good warm up (a little longer in the elderly)
    - ensure GOOD baseline strength before moving onto more complex lifts
    - ensure good baseline FITNESS before doing anything that is overly stressful to the heart
    - adequate cool down to prevent stiffness

Also - most importantly, make sure she gets a full doctors check up before she starts. This will help identify any restrictions that should be placed

skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10) skinnyfatlean is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i dont think age comes into it,a reasonable warm up and then I would just get her to gradually increase weights until she finds her limit.
    “[Luke:] I can’t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.”

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    55 is not elderly Emma!!!!

I started at 48 and did the same routine as a 20 year old. Like anything else, physical limitations will depend on the person.