kennyl75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Isolated work nesseccary?

I’m currently cutting so I’m keeping stuff simple; full body 3x a week ss style only doing bench squat deads rows and working on pull up progression.

Once I’m gonna bulk up I’m wondering if isolated excercise are needed from just a strength/health standpoint I’m not worried about Hypertrophy. Or will compound movements like weighted dips/weightedpullups/weighted pushups and lunges will be enough for assistance? On top of variations of main lifts like rdl and close grip or dead bench etc.
    I’d rather be able to focus on progressing my main lifts, and progressing weighted dips and pull ups than doing curls and delt work which seems more pointless than helpful.

Thanks all

Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Original SS has no isolation work, but many people add it in and it probably doesn't mean harm. However, close grip bench etc is not an isolation exercise, so those exercises might get in the wayof your recovery. I personally think that upper body volume in SS is ridiculously low and adding some exercises should be okay, but what do I know.

If I remember correctly RDL are actually part of the program. Otherwise you could do them instead of power cleans. Rippetoe doesn't want you to do heavy deadlifts every workout, so deadlifts and power cleans are alternating, later on you even do heavy DLs only every 3rd workout. RDL are a lighter variant and should be okay as variant on the non-deadlift days.

Note: Rippetoe would still slap you for not doing power cleans.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if running an aggressive LP like this properly you won't be on it long enough for it to matter.

SS get's a beginner to late novice/early intermediate territory as fast as possible..

Then you can worry about everything else.

If you take that approach anyway, there are other more steady going beginner programs.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In the end it depends a lot on what your goals are, but given what you've said I'd say that including isolation exercises is not necessary. I throw in about 15 min of isolation work at the end of my bench sessions when in a hypertrophy/volume block, but I'll be honest that it's largely because I enjoy doing them and not because I notice an obvious carry over to the comp lifts.

Weighted dips and pullups are going to give you more bang for your buck than curls and delt raises.
    Meet Best: 220/125/260 kg for a 384 Wilks IPF Nov 2018.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lets call it assistance work.
    You usually do movements/exercises to assist your main lifts.
    You determine where your weaknesses are and address them through specific exercise.
    Say if your weak on the lockout of your BP then work the triceps with board presses.
    Same with the other lifts you need to find where you fail in each lift when going near max.