Thread: Bulky Abs?

boosandbanter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bulky Abs?

Hey, I'm new to these forums and have been lifting weights for about 6 months. I work my abs every night and instead of looking more defined, they seem to protrude out of my stomach after working out, with no definition at all. Unflexed, my abs are not visible, but when I flex them they are fairly visible. I am very light for my weight, 111 lbs at 5'7" and have pretty defined arms, pecs, and shoulders. However, my lower body has always been a weak point. I especially want defined abs and was measured at around 8% body fat before I started lifting. I am hesitant to cut because I am already so light, but do not want to go on a bulk because I am told that is not very healthy at this age and because I don't want to compete at too high a wrestling weight class next year. Is it possible that the protrusion of my abs is genetic? Could it be genetically impossible for me to get a six pack?

Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jake_L will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Start lifting before abs. Indirect ab work like squats and deadlifts help the abs, and also burn fat.

Don't work abs every day, treat them like any other muscle. 2-3 times a week with heavy weight. Your diet should be around a 500 calorie deficit, and HIIT training helps a lot with burning fat.

A good routine with weight is this:

Weighted Knee Raises - 3x6-8
    Weighted Leg Raises - 3x6-8
    Hanging Leg Raises - 3x6-8
    Weighted Crunches - 3x6-8
    Plank - 3x to muscular failure
    Side Plank - 3x to muscular failure
    6 Inches - 3x to muscular failure