Optimusprime7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Optimusprime7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calories burned pushing carts?

I am a Cart Pusher at Costco and never really thought about using my job as a way to get my cardio done, but damn it's a hell of a workout. To put it simply anyone wanna take a shot and how many calories i burn in a 5 hour shift?

I'll have to say I run every other row of baskets i pick up, but of course get the usual water break every 3 loads of carts I bring up.

Going on a cut or bulk is gonna be a hell of a task to pinpoint the calories burned; I compare my workout to a 5 hour session of HIIT. The intensity is of course less than a 20 min HIIT but duration is damn long.

One website pushing a baby stroller for 15 mins is 90 calories burned for my weight...in a 5 hour session that's 2880 calories burned!!!! I never expected to burn that many calories, and would have to adjust my food intake considerably...I estimated it to be around 1800-2000 in actuality.

I know it's extremely variable but someone help me out.

thanks
    Optimusprime7 is online now Add to Optimusprime7's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    invest in a heart rate monitor. The hell if we know how many calories you burn. We don't know how many carts you push at a time, what your fitness level is, how long you spend sitting around waiting for more carts, etc.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pwicks83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    agree
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    invest in a heart rate monitor. The hell if we know how many calories you burn. We don't know how many carts you push at a time, what your fitness level is, how long you spend sitting around waiting for more carts, etc.
    S.N.I. Global Representative
    http://sniglobal.com/

anonymous
    They make you push carts for 5 hours? God costco sounds like a bunch of nazi's.

jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Again Chazzy demonstrates he knows his ****. Stop and go kills a lot of the effect of Cardio, You night be sweating profusely but if you don't maintain a constant HR, most of the "cardio" you say you are doing might be a waste.

Jorge
    Why do I want to lose weight? Simple, so my body can match my ego.

"He who learns only as a means to an end is destined to never reach his full potential" - JRA

DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rkrajnov View Post
    Lmao, I was doing carts all of last summer at Costco.

OP, it's definitely a decent amount of calories burned. Eat a bit more food even if you're cutting.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    It's called "a job."
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    you weigh 175 lbs, you're worried about this because?
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

anonymous
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    It's called "a job."
    I've had a job since I was 15 thank you very much haha. But that sounds horrid. Most places I know shift the cart duty so you're not stuck out there for more than a couple hours. Then again I'm cleaning plates in a dining hall right now for minimum wage at my college. So on second thought, where do I sign up?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've had a job since I was 15 thank you very much haha. But that sounds horrid. Most places I know shift the cart duty so you're not stuck out there for more than a couple hours. Then again I'm cleaning plates in a dining hall right now for minimum wage at my college. So on second thought, where do I sign up?
    There was another poster on here, who siad he volunteered for all of the cart duty at his grocery store. he didn't like dealing with customers, and actually enjoyed the cart duty. so he spent his entire shift out there.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Toast3179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am posting this from work right now PUSHING CARTS. Haha. I work at weis and it's a huge parking lot. I work most of the time on weekends, 8 hours each day and one 4 hour day during the week.
    First off, it's a boring ass job. Second, to make it more interesting and workout intensive, i try to push 5-7 carts at a time. it's a decent back workout! Bahaha. I usually push carts straight for 40 minutes and 15 min break...it's not cardio intensive but in a 5 hour shift if you follow close to my routine id guess 500 ish?

xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xanderlam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    about 350

not srs

ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I feel somewhat strange attempting to give a serious answer to this, but what the hay. Let's see, so your talking a 5 hour shift, probably a lot of light jogging in pretty short spurts with very minor effort involved in the actual pushing element of the carts. I would say you burn at least 500 calories, could be double that though, but I don't think its less. Yes I realize it's not that exact of an answer but it gives you an idea hopefully.
    "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing." -Socrates

Everything I post is my opinion based on a relatively respectable education and a good amount of time in the weight room. If we disagree, so be it, let's have some intelligent debate.

I rep back.

n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10) n4s3hundred is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    currently working at costco and there are some things he missed in the original post.

each load of carts is supposed to be 10. but most experienced employees can push 12 to 15 using a rope.
    The workload is constant, never no need to sit and wait for carts they are always there. on the lot, in the corrals, scattered in flower beds. Yeah you usually push carts 5-6 hours a day. You would be lucky to float for a cashier during your shift if you are new.

A lot of light jogging, getting into the higher numbers of carts pushed it feels exactly like sleigh pushes. Costco Carts are huge and pretty heavy for being a shopping cart.

I wondered the same thing about calories burned while working. But i just gave up and made sure i eat on all my breaks.

sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sevenhm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Optimusprime7 View Post
    I am a Cart Pusher at Costco and never really thought about using my job as a way to get my cardio done, but damn it's a hell of a workout. To put it simply anyone wanna take a shot and how many calories i burn in a 5 hour shift?

I'll have to say I run every other row of baskets i pick up, but of course get the usual water break every 3 loads of carts I bring up.

Going on a cut or bulk is gonna be a hell of a task to pinpoint the calories burned; I compare my workout to a 5 hour session of HIIT. The intensity is of course less than a 20 min HIIT but duration is damn long.

One website pushing a baby stroller for 15 mins is 90 calories burned for my weight...in a 5 hour session that's 2880 calories burned!!!! I never expected to burn that many calories, and would have to adjust my food intake considerably...I estimated it to be around 1800-2000 in actuality.

I know it's extremely variable but someone help me out.

thanks
    Optimusprime7 is online now Add to Optimusprime7's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message
    Simple solution determine some macros/calories if you lose more than 0.5-1lbs per week up your food a little if you lose at that rate then keep doing what you're doing. Its a real waste of time to try to calculate how many calories you burn on any given day or activity, way too many variables.

jrwagst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Just saying Walmart you have to push anywhere from 4 to 9 hours and I just got done with a 9 hour shift so 5 sounds like a godsend for me lol and by the way we are required to push at least 10 to 15 by hand Every run so calculate that

PS I just created this account to tell you guys that cuz I find it funny that you guys who push 4 and 5 at a time think its a big deal and and to those who said its ridiculous to be pushing for 5 hours I agree with someone else who posted its a job that's what he gets paid to do if he don't like it he can get a different one
    Last edited by jrwagst; 05-12-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Mahnway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A quick google search states that pushing one cart that weights 105lbs=80 calories
    Costco carts weight about 75 lbs. But when stacked together makes the friction of pushing go up. But once in motion it becomes easier to push. So for the sake of our math will say "per cart per 15min of pushing 40 calories"
    costco says 10 carts per row. So
    10x40= 400
    cal per 15 mins.

asumeing you sit on your ass half the time like i do.

60mins=30mins so 800 calories an hour.

800×a 5hour shift= 4000 calories

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Gotta take into account that there are times where it won't be consistently done, and you may have to go inside the store for some reason, bathroom breaks, lunches, anytime you stop because there's no carts to collect, etc. It might not be 5 hours of consistent activity, so there could be a series of short to long rest periods that change the final result. Also, the outside temperature can affect calorie loss - the body must use the energy from calories in order to keep itself cool, or warm enough to maintain proper functionality.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261