Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Bogus's Journey (-20%BF and -50Lbs)

I'm going to try to keep this log simple. Here are the basics:

About me:
    I'm 27 years old and male, 5' 8". I've been "the fat kid" all my life. Now I'm not really a "kid" anymore, and I aim to not be "fat" anymore either. I've been mostly sedentary since high school ended, partied too much in college, and now I work at a desk job. 10 hour days with no breakfast and working through lunch made it easy to get really overweight.

Starting Stats:
    As of February 23rd, I was 210 @ 31% body fat. Towards the end of last year I had a choice: buy size 40 dress pants, or start losing weight. I'm going for the latter.

My Plan:
    I figure right now my maintenance calories are about 2300/day. I've been eating 1800 calories per day for a deficit of 500/day (3500/week or 1 pound). I've also been, every other day, either running or biking for an extra ~200 calories burned. I bought myself a new bike for my birthday last week as added incentive to get out and be active.

My Food Intake:
    There are slight variations, but generally a weekday looks like this-

Meal 1
    Non-fat Milk w/ ON 100% Whey (2 scoops)
    1 serving oatmeal (or 5 grain / 10 grain hot cereal)
    1 serving flax seed oil
    ~500 calories

Meal 2
    1.5 servings of chicken
    1 serving of beans (kidney, garbanzo, pink, pinto, black, etc...)
    3 servings vegetables
    1 serving cheese
    ~600 calories

Meal 3
    Handful of almonds
    ~140 calories

Meal 4
    Similar to meal 2, except with beef/buffalo
    ~600 calories

About 1 gallon of water throughout the day

My Progress So Far:
    I started recording in earnest on 3/9/2010.

Weight...Lean Mass....Lbs. Fat.....BF%

I lost a fair amount of water weight when I first started, so I didn't count that. I've also been tweaking my diet and exercise along the way, which is why the progress hasn't been very linear. I know it isn't normally linear anyway, but I didn't start working out until about the third week.

Supplements:
    Isopure Zero-Carb Protein - No longer in use
    ON 100% Gold Standard Whey - 2 scoops of rocky road with milk is pretty good
    ON Opti-men multivitamin - Recommended serving 3/day, I've been going for 2x
    Controlled Labs Purple Intrain and Purple Wraath- BCAA/EAA stack with some carb/protein
    Creatine Monohydrate - This was an impulse buy. Haven't been using it.

Workout Routine:
    Running days- 1 mile at the fastest speed I can maintain, few minutes cooldown, 1 mile at low speed and high incline (10-12%)
    ~200 calories burned

Biking days outdoors- 6.5 miles on mostly flat ground (loop around a lake) 12MPH
    ~250-350 calories burned

Biking days indoors- 30 minutes of HIIT. One minute at high intensity, one minute off.
    ~No idea on the calories, but judging by the amount of sweat it's probably comparable to running.

I've been shooting for every other day, either running or biking. I'm not averse to lifting, I'm just not there yet. It may not sound like very intense cardio, but I'm starting completely from scratch here; I don't yet have the endurance or stamina to run or bike much longer or faster than I currently am, but I plan to increase intensity over time.

Goals:
    Short term goal- weigh 190 by June 22nd.
    Intermediate goal- weight 180 by the end of August (August 31st)
    Long term goal- weigh 170 by November 2nd.

At 170, assuming no major change in lean mass (which I know WILL happen), I should be at about 15% BF. From there I'll have two options; put on muscle mass and then cut to 10%, or keep cutting to 10% and THEN start putting on mass. I've got a while to think about it.

Notes:
    I plan to replace the cheese in my diet with a similar serving amount of avocado. Better nutrients and better fat (much less saturated fat). I'm also going to incorporate some salmon into my diet to increase the amount of good fats I'm getting a reduce the amount of red meat.

Also, my goals may be off by a bit. If I lose two pounds of lean mass between now and November, I may be closer to 170 @ 17%.

I started taking front and side body pictures this month so I'll have something to compare to later on. They aren't pretty now, but if I get down to 170 it'll be nice to see how far I've come. I'll post body pictures monthly.

My weekly weigh-in is on Tuesday. I'll post the next one on 4/20/2010
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've read this far, thanks! I'd love to hear any comments people might have.
    Last edited by bogus83; 04-17-2010 at 05:39 PM.

bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogus83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Today's weigh-in:
    198.2 @ 27.9

It's progress, I'll take it.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    [Start: 9/xx/2021: 230] ►► [Current: 145]
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I'm back in the game!

Progress continues.

197 @ 27.6

------------------

On a side note, one thing I didn't account for was lean mass loss. I had figured that since I don't have a huge amount of lean muscle mass, I wouldn't lose much. But over the past two months, I've lost about .5lbs every four weeks. I don't think I'm starving myself that much, I'm only eating about 500 calories under maintenance, unless I've calculated my maintenance level far too low. In any case, it seems that about 80% of my weight loss each week is fat, and the rest is "other lean mass".

I had originally estimated that I'd be 170 @ 15.5%, but if the lean mass loss and fat loss continues at the current rate I'll be more like 170 @ 18% sometime around November 2nd. And 10%BF would be closer to 150 than 160.

I know that's getting WAY ahead of myself, so we'll see how things are going later in the year before I start worrying about all that.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 5/4

W: 195.2
    BF: 27/1

Funny story. I forced myself to NOT get on the scale for the entire week since last weigh-in. It was tough, I had to use more than a little willpower. That was kind of the point though. Anyway, towards the end of the week I was concerned that I wouldn't lose a full pound since I wasn't able to judge how to adjust my food intake by my current weight. Turns out I lost almost two full pounds, even with a cheat dinner of pizza during the week.

I finally got a bike rack and there's an almost 30-mile trailway that starts about a mile from my office, so I'm going to be biking more often. I like biking WAY more than running. There's also a 3-mile loop around a lake near my house. I'm excited to get more into that. At my current weight, 30 minutes (roughly six miles @ 12mph) burns 250 calories. I'll bike six miles over running two any day. In fact, I'm hoping to increase my biking distance as time permits, I'm sure I could do at least a third lap around the lake if not a fourth as well.

I've adjusted my goals as you can see in my signature- 190 by June 8th (five weeks), 180 by mid August, and under 160 by the end of the year. The last one might be cutting it a bit close, unless I have a few more two-pound weeks and keep the weight loss consistent for the entire year. But let's work on one thing at a time. I intend to meet the June 8th goal, and the August goal seems reasonable.

I'm feeling good about what I've accomplished so far. 15 pounds and 4 points of body fat may not seem like much, but it's about a quarter of my intended weight loss, and the body fat loss will accelerate over time.
    Last edited by bogus83; 05-04-2010 at 12:32 PM.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 5/11/2010

W: 193.4
    BF: 26.5

I was a little worried that I wouldn't make my pound this week, since I ran out of lunch food and had to hit Wendy's two days in a row. I tried to keep it relatively healthy by having a salad and chili. The combination of the two is actually pretty good in terms of carb/fat/protein ratios, but it's loaded with salt. Oh well. Looks like it worked out well enough, I'm down another 1.8 pounds, 1.6 of which is fat. I'm only going for a 500 calorie deficit, so I wonder if my metabolism is speeding up in response to a regular diet. It's either that, or my maintenance calorie level is higher than I originally thought. I don't think that's the case though because I'm eating the same amount now as I was before, and I'm losing more weight per week than when I started.

I'm certainly not complaining. At this rate I could be 190 by June 1st, putting me three weeks ahead of schedule.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 5/18

W: 192.8
    BF: 26.3

Half pound of weight loss, almost entirely fat. Despite the small change, I'm actually glad to see that much. This past week wasn't my best- I had a few cheat meals and went out drinking on Saturday night, for the first time since I started this program. I'm not looking to get back into that habit, it was more of a "mental cheat meal". I also didn't work out at all last week, too busy/tired.

Anyway, back to the plan. I need to drop 2.8 pounds by the end of the month, or 1.4 each week. That's a bit more than I've been going for so far, and I'm not going to get there by diet alone. Too bad it's supposed to rain for the next several days... that means it's back to treadmill running, which I don't like doing nearly as much as biking.

I'm back in the game!

mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey man its good to see your making progress...but I think you will see alot more if you start lifting....if you dont have the budget to buy a gym membership buy some dumbbells and go to town....all that protein you take in should be taken to good use....you will add LBM and when the weight does come off you wont have that skinny fat look...just an opinion...keep up the good work

Thanks! I've had a few people suggest that, and I'm not opposed to the idea, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I was planning to do mostly cardio until I hit a plateau and then start lifting, but I might start sooner.

The "skinny-fat" thing is something I'm most likely going to have to deal with regardless; I've stretched my skin quite a bit especially around the stomach area, so I'm pretty sure I'll have loose skin problems when I drop the majority of the weight. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it though, I'd be happy enough to just not have a huge gut. If I can get my body to cooperate further that'll be a bonus.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 5/25/2010

W: 190.8
    BF: 25.8

I got sick last week around Wednesday, and I'm still recovering now. Ended up taking Wednesday and Thursday off from work, and spent the weekend pretty miserable. I didn't work out at all since I was feeling like death, but I made an effort to keep my diet on point and I think that went pretty well. I'm down exactly two pounds from last week, and .5% bodyfat. Considering I spent the better part of the week drinking hot tea and coughing my brains out, I'm going to call this week a win.

On a side note, I've gone down a pant size. I can comfortably fit in the size 36 jeans that I wore when I was in college. That's pretty awesome- in February I was struggling to fit into my 38's. Another few months at this rate and I'll need to invest in some 34's. I don't think I've worn 34's since early high school.

Oh, and that goal of being under 190 by the end of the month? It's all but in the bag.

There are ten weeks until the first August weigh-in (8/3/2010), and I can safely say I'll be at or under 180 by then. If I keep going at about 1.5lbs/week, I should be closer to 175.

Time to re-readjust my goals!

Under 185 by June 29th.
    Under 180 by August 3rd.
    Under 175 by September 7th.
    **20% BF by September 7th?**

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 6/1/2010

W: 189.2
    BF: 25.5

BF seems higher than it should be. It was down to 25.1 at one point last week, and I haven't been cheating. I have been fighting off a cold/bug for almost two weeks though, and haven't been doing much exercise, so I guess it's possible that I burned some lean mass. Even if I did lose a half pound of lean mass (and I'm skeptical), that'd be a solid pound of fat gone this week. I brought my bike to work today and plan to go ride this afternoon, hopefully that'll be the start of me getting more active again.

On a side note, HOLY CRAP casein is thick! Seriously, it should say on the label "warning, this stuff is roughly 100x thicker than whey!". I've been using ON Whey with omega 3/6/9 oil and ~12oz skim milk, and it's usually pretty thin. So I figured the same amount of casein and the rest of the ingredients would also be thin. It turned out to be too thick to drink even after adding more milk. I can definitely see how it would keep you feeling full longer though, I don't think I'm going to want to eat much until lunch. All I had was two sample packets, so I think I'll be sticking with whey for now. I can totally understand why a serving of casein before bed prevents a catabolic state but I don't need to use it during this cut, at least not now.

I'm on track to be 185 by 7/29 and 180 by 8/3. 20%BF by 9/7 is less certain- if I lose .3%/week, I won't quite make it (I'd be around 21.3%). If I lose .5%/week, I'd be 18.5%. I'll need to lose about .39%/week to get there. Possible, but we'll see.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 6/8/2010

W: 188.2
    BF: 25

Edit: I'm retcon'ing yesterday's weigh-in. Let's just just say my body made a convincing argument that it wasn't entirely accurate. The stats above are from today, 6/9.
    Last edited by bogus83; 06-09-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: needed to fix the date, data

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 6/15/2010

W:186.2
    BF: 24.6

Doin' good, I think. Lean mass is dropping a bit more than I expected, but then again I'm not lifting at all. It seems I lose more weight on the weeks when I don't work out at all and make sure my diet is 100%, than when I do run or bike. That's kind of strange, but maybe since I'm still pretty out of shape my body spends more time recovering and less time burning fat?

Next week I should meet my goal for two weeks from now. I may not quite make 20% bodyfat by Sept. 7th, but I should be somewhere between 20-21%, which is still a heck of a lot better than 31%.

Onward!

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 6/22/2010

W: 186.2
    BF: 24.4

Not a whole lot of change this week. I'm not sure why, my diet was on point. It may be that my body is getting used to the food I'm eating, since I have the same breakfast, lunch, and snack (almonds) every day. I'm going to try to get more cardio in this coming week than I have been to see if that shakes things up. If not, it may be time to try another tactic. I'm considering starting lifting again- I do enjoy it, but I've been away from it for a long time. A lot of people have suggested Starting Strength, but that's supposed to be done with a caloric surplus.

IF ANYONE IS READING THIS: Any suggestions for a good beginner lifting program that can be done while cutting?

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 6/30/2010

W: 183.6
    BF: 23.8

So much for that plateau. I didn't change much of what I was doing this past week aside from adding more cardio and very slightly cutting calories (removing an after-dinner ~100 calorie cheat that I'd gotten in the habit of having). Almost two pounds of fat, but nearly a pound of lean mass as well. I can always put it back on though.

I'm not losing focus in this cut, but I'm sure looking forward to next year's bulk. My June goal is accomplished, and I have five weeks to get to 180. That shouldn't be a problem either. My clothes keep getting bigger and bigger, I already don't fit into most of my work clothes. I'm going to have to buy some new pants and shirts soon, and a new belt as well. It's expensive but the best sign of progress that I have.

Motivation level: 9/10.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 7/7/2010

W: 183.4
    BF 23.7

Minimal changes this week, but I'll take it. Why? Let's just say the Fourth of July was more like a cheat weekend, and the fact that I lost anything is surprising. I spent the past few days going from nearly 187 back to 183ish. Still on track for my August goal, not much else to say today.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 7/13/2010:

W: 180.8
    BF: 23.1

THAT'S what I'm talking about. 2.6 pounds down and 0.6%BF. And actually, as of today (7/15) it's more like 180.4 / 22.9.

I'm shooting for under 180 by next weigh-in, which would put me at two weeks ahead of my goal for that weight. I don't think 20% bodyfat is going to happen when I'm 175, but I could be under 21%. Maybe.

180 is the halfway point, so there will be some celebrating when that happens.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 7/21/2010

W: 181.6
    BF: 23.6

This past weekend I went camping, and my whole diet went out the window. My meals weren't that bad, but I had a bunch of chips and snack foods, and around 20 light beers over the course of the weekend. On a side note, who the heck brings PBR Light on a camping trip? Yeesh.

My weight and BF took a big step backwards for the first time since I started this. I'm not worried though, it just means I'll have to be extra careful over the next few weeks to make up for lost time. I have two weeks to get back under 180, which shouldn't be too hard. Then onward to 175!

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 7/28/2010

W: 180.8
    BF: 23.3

Alright, back on track. Actually pretty good considering this past weekend turned into a cheat weekend too- I ended up spending the weekend with some friends from college and there was a lot of junk food and drinking. But the rest of the week and the start of this week was good, and I'm down almost a pound and .3 BF. The best part is I'm still on track to be at or under 180 by August 3rd. Yes, I lost a few weeks of "head start" that I had, but now it's time to dial in and attack 175 head-on.

I also recently updated my goals: 175 and 21.5% BF by September 7th. Six weeks to lose 5.8 pounds and 1.8% BF.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 8/3/2010

W: 179.6
    BF: 22.6

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

*ahem*

Sorry, that was me celebrating being under 180. That puts me at 30.4 pounds lost since February 23rd, and 0.4 pounds past halfway to 150. Speaking of 150, that's exactly how many days are left in this year. That comes out to roughly 21.4 weeks. To reach my goal of under 160 by the end of the year I'll have to lose 20.6 pounds in 21.4 weeks. Certainly possible, but it means I can't have any more "negative progress" weeks.

It's crazy to see the jeans I wore freshman year of college getting loose. The size Large polo shirts I got for work a few months ago are getting baggy, and the size 38 slacks I got last year are practically falling off even with a belt. I'm thinking sometime next month I'm going to have to invest in some Mediums and 34's.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in 8/10/2010

W: 178.6
    BF: 22.3

Down a pound and 0.3% BF. I cheated a bit over the weekend, BBQ and drinks with some friends. Even so, the total weight and fat loss for this past week is right on target.

Four weeks to September 7th- 175 pounds @ 21.5% is my current goal for that date. Once I get there it'll be time for a new set of goals, and I've got a few in mind.

I'm back in the game!

Oops, I forgot to post last week.

Weigh-in for 8/17/2010:
    W: 176
    BF: 21.5
    ---------

Weigh-in for 8/25/2010:
    W:174.6
    BF: 21.1

Maybe I should have had more faith in myself. If things continue on the way they're going, I will be closer to 20% bodyfat than 21% on 9/7. Next week I should be around 20.7, and I'm guessing 20.3 on 9/7. I'm now five weeks ahead of schedule for losing weight, which is awesome. If I lose a pound per week for the rest of the year, I should be about 156 going into 2011. I've been going a little faster than that, so I might even be closer to my goal of 150.

Motivation remains high. I still have a significant amount of weight to lose, but I feel great and there's no question that the fat continues to come off. I was also recently offered an amazing job opportunity (a promotion with the company I currently work for), so life is looking good.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in for 9/28/2010:
    W: 175
    BF: 21.3
    ---------

I haven't updated in a while. Here's what happened: I got the California job! I spent the better part of the last month preparing for the move and taking the 2800 mile trek out west. I now live in Orange County, where the weather has been over 100 degrees for the past few days. That'd never happen in late September in NY.

Anyway, leading up to the move I hadn't been eating very well, and didn't work out at all. I was trying not to overdo it, but basically my whole plan took a secondary focus to my job and move. Now that I'm starting to get settled in I'm getting back into the swing of things. I'm down a pound and .3% BF from my last real weigh-in (three weeks ago). I lost a few weeks of progress but at least I haven't gained any weight.

Food out here is pretty expensive but there are plenty of large grocery stores so finding what I need shouldn't be a problem. Avocados are practically the state fruit and they're cheap which is nice. I've started going through my variety pack boxes of ON Whey- so far I've had the strawberry which was surprisingly OK, the orange cream which I really didn't care for, and this morning I had the mocha cappuccino with 12oz coffee and 4oz milk, which is pretty awesome. I'm thinking that's going to become a staple. Maybe a scoop of the MC whey with a scoop of chocolate casein. Seems like a good way to kickstart my morning.

In any case I've refocused and I've got my eye on the prize. There are 13 weeks left in the year, 14 if you count January 4th 2011 as the first weigh-in of '11. I have 15 pounds to go to reach my goal for the year. Certainly an attainable goal, but I need to make sure I stick to the plan.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in for 10/05/2010:
    W: 173.4
    BF: 20.7
    ---------

Weigh-in for 10/12/2010:
    W: 172.4
    BF: 20.5

Pound and a half last week and a pound this week. Not quite as much BF lost as I'd like, but it's still progress. I'm not sure I'll be under 160 by the end of the year, but I should be within a pound or so of my goal. And hey, if I lose 48 pounds instead of 50 pounds in eight months, I'm okay with that.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in for 10/19/2010:
    W: 171.4
    BF: 20.4
    -------------------------

Weigh-in for 10/26/2010
    W:169.8
    BF: 19.8

Update:

W: 169.8
    BF: 19.8

Hit a milestone this morning! My weight is in the 160's for the first time since high school (almost ten years), and my bodyfat starts with a "1" for the first time since I started measuring it. I'm happy with my progress so far, especially since I did end up getting the promotion and moving from NY to CA. My weight was more or less constant at 176 for the entire month of September (when I moved and was living out of a hotel while waiting for my apartment to be ready), so I lost a few weeks of progress. On the plus side, I didn't gain any weight, so I'm still on track for my goal for the end of the year. 10 weeks until the January 4 2011 weigh-in, and 9.9 pounds to be under 160.

As of this morning I'm halfway to my bodyfat goal and 2/3rds of the way to my weight goal. Not bad for eight months progress.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in for 11/9/2010:
    W: 168.4
    BF: 19.4

I don't know why, maybe it was just a mental thing, but it seems like getting under 170 was a huge pain. In any case the scale is showing progress again. It's going to be a race to the finish- there are eight weeks until 1/4/11, and I've got 8.5 pounds to lose. I'm going to step it up a bit and try for 1.2-1.5 pounds per week to make sure I get there, but that's going to be easier said than done with Thanksgiving and the winter holidays coming up.

It occurred to me last night that I'm only 4.4 pounds away from not being "overweight" going by my BMI. I know BMI is a pretty useless measurement, but that'd be the first time ANY metric ever said I'm at a "normal" bodyweight. And I'll take a motivation boost when I can get it.

I'm back in the game!

TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How many calories are you eating now? Did you adjust with your loss, or were you just running a huge deficit at the beginning?

I've been adjusting. When I first started I was shooting for 1800 calories, which resulted in a fairly constant one pound per week loss. I stopped measuring most of my food intake once I got a feel for portion sizes, so realistically I was getting anywhere from 1700 to 1900 calories.

Now that I've lost almost a quarter of my bodyweight I'm shooting for more like 1500-1600 calories. The weight loss is going well but I think that might be a bit low- I get REALLY hungry if I go too long between meals and sometimes I'm hungry again shortly after eating. It's not like when I was 210 and confusing hunger with boredom, it's that signal from your body saying "NEED FUEL!". I think I'm going to break up my meals into more frequent small meals, rather than breakfast/lunch/dinner. I know most research says that has no effect on weight loss (or muscle building, for that matter), but I'm hoping it helps with the hunger part. I'd really, really like to avoid depending on supplements to control my eating habits.

I'm back in the game!

TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheTFo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bogus83 View Post
    I've been adjusting. When I first started I was shooting for 1800 calories, which resulted in a fairly constant one pound per week loss. I stopped measuring most of my food intake once I got a feel for portion sizes, so realistically I was getting anywhere from 1700 to 1900 calories.

Now that I've lost almost a quarter of my bodyweight I'm shooting for more like 1500-1600 calories. The weight loss is going well but I think that might be a bit low- I get REALLY hungry if I go too long between meals and sometimes I'm hungry again shortly after eating. It's not like when I was 210 and confusing hunger with boredom, it's that signal from your body saying "NEED FUEL!". I think I'm going to break up my meals into more frequent small meals, rather than breakfast/lunch/dinner. I know most research says that has no effect on weight loss (or muscle building, for that matter), but I'm hoping it helps with the hunger part. I'd really, really like to avoid depending on supplements to control my eating habits.
    I've been having the same problem. I've increased up from 1450-1500 to 1700-1800, simply because I felt like hell. Things seems to be moving forward, though slowly.

Weigh-in for 11/17/2010:
    W: 166.8
    BF: 18.8

As I mentioned to TheTFo, I've cut my calories over the past few weeks and it seems to be working. I've taken beans completely out of my diet, and generally unless I'm really hungry I haven't been having any avocado with dinner either. Two servings of beans and half an avocado is in the neighborhood of 300-350ish calories less per day, and as a side effect this change has lowered my carb intake significantly.

Six weeks left in the year, 6.9 pounds to lose by then. Looking at my spreadsheet of my progress so far, it seems that I've been losing two pounds of "lean mass" for every ten pounds of overall weight. If that remains the case, I'll have to cut closer to 145-146 to get to 10%BF. For now I'm still using 150 as a target weight and I'll reevaluate when I get there. If I can get to 150, another five pounds shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm back in the game!

Weigh-in for 12/1/2010:
    W: 167.2
    BF: 19.1

So, that happened. I didn't weigh in last week at all, and this past week (Thanksgiving) has apparently taken its toll. I hate making negative progress, but all things considered it wasn't THAT bad. I gained about half a pound, which means I ate about an extra 250 calories per day. In reality it was more like an extra 1750 calories over a two-day period. Pecan pie with pumpkin ice cream on top will do that.

I've got 7.3 pounds to go if I'm going to reach my goal weight by the first weigh-in of '11. 7.3 pounds in five weeks is attainable, but it's going to be close. Even if I don't lose another pound for the rest of the year (and I intend to) I'll have lost 43 pounds since March, and that's pretty damn good. I guess what I'm saying is I think I've put too much emphasis on arbitrary numbers and dates. If I lose five pounds in the next five weeks and end up at 162, that'll be 48 pounds in eight months. Yes, it's nice to hit major milestones on pre-determined dates, but this is really a long-term project. That being said, I'm going to do what I can without completely starving myself to try to hit 50.

I'm back in the game!