Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kelvandros is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think the obesity epidemic is largely created by depression brought on by the "overweight epidemic." Once someone finds themselves getting overweight, they have two choices, do something about it, or continue down the same path. Every time they put it off, or try a failed diet, it gets harder for them to start. They get more fat, less mobile, and more used to what they're doing.

One other thing that gets people is misinformation. So many people think you've got to spend $50 a month on a gym membership to get in shape. We're told that working out if paramount to losing weight. People eat too many calories and then work out for half an hour, expecting to lose weight. It doesn't help that they often go off of an elliptical or treadmill telling them how many calories they burned (normally in the 400-500 range).

Then you've got people that think they're doing good when they eat out, but are actually not even close. If you don't believe me, go read a menu and pick out what you think are the top 5 unhealthy things, and top 5 healthy things. Then go look up nutrition information and you may find that the "Grilled chicken with veggies" meal is actually 2,200 calories and 75g of fat.

Quick example of a mistake I made the other day:
    I went to chipotle, and was asked what a healthier option was. I know nothing at chipotle is the best, but there you can still go with the less worse option. I suggested a salad (with chicken, mild salsa, and cheese). This made a total of:
    320 calories, 8g fat, 7g carbs, 42g protein. Not a bad meal to start with. Then you add the dresssing, a "chipotle pepper vinaigrette" that comes in at 24.5g of fat, 12 carbs and 260 calories. Just by adding a dressing that sounds like it'd be healthy, you're almost doubling the calories of the meal.

Now, I won't make that mistake again, because I actually look up nutritional information when I eat somewhere. For someone how doesn't actually count their calories, they'll just think "Well, the salad is the healthy thing, I'll do that" and end up with a very underestimated value.

Even if you do count calories though, it's not that simple. The "calories" on the top of the container don't always match what the macros say they should be. Look at a can of coke. On the can it says 1 can has 140 calories. The can also says it has 39g of carbs (with a subheading showing all 39g are sugar). When I was taught macros, I was told that 1g of carb was 4 calories. 39 * 4 = 156 calories. Not a huge increase, but that's just one item I know that's off. That's an 11% increase in calories. If every item we ate had 11% more calories than we thought, even someone counting calories could be eating 200-300 calories more a day than they think they are.

sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sy2502 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by blackdove212 View Post
    I agree with this. Americans seem to have this "it's okay to be obese" mentality like it's some kind of of right.
    You may have a point there. I know a very overweight woman from back in Europe. When we were in Europe she tried all kinds of diets, and although they were mostly fad diets, at least she tried. When she came to the US, she actually said that she wasn't going to diet anymore because
    a) There were plenty of people bigger than her, so she wasn't feeling self conscious anymore
    b) She could find so many nice clothes for big people, that it wasn't a problem anymore so why bother.
    Sometimes peer pressure to be thin can be a good motivation.

TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAdlerian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    You may have a point there. I know a very overweight woman from back in Europe. When we were in Europe she tried all kinds of diets, and although they were mostly fad diets, at least she tried. When she came to the US, she actually said that she wasn't going to diet anymore because
    a) There were plenty of people bigger than her, so she wasn't feeling self conscious anymore
    b) She could find so many nice clothes for big people, that it wasn't a problem anymore so why bother.
    Sometimes peer pressure to be thin can be a good motivation.
    Again, I question the truth her statements.

Is it possible to be happy, truly happy, doing something that you know is destructive while you're getting constant feedback about it. I've heard the same thing from people who are uneducated, live in terrible areas, and so on. They all say they're "happy" with things that are obviously not very good, but they're stuck with. Many people when faced with a crappy situation, or a humiliating one, will pretend and turn it into a positive, but they're lying to save face.

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The obesity thing is pissing me off.

After having a series of mid-long term relationships (1-2 years), in which I basically met the girls back-to-back-to-back (lucky me), I have now been single for almost a year, and haven't considered dating up to this point.

But now the last couple months I'm back out looking to date again, and is it me, or has everyone gotten fudging fat????

Guess I didn't notice much before because I wasn't looking. But it seems every female I meet lately, they seem OK from behind the grocery cart or bar table or gym machine or whatever they are standing behind, then you see their below chest area and what greets you but a massive "muffin top". You can tell looking at them that they are not genetically fat: Fairly thin face, thin arms, an overall body type that would allow a thin, fit frame.

But then they talk about spending weekends out on the boat, drinking beer all day, going to happy hour after work, drinking more beer, eating cake at lunch for whoevers birthday, etc, etc, etc.

I just want to stand on top of a mountain and yell to the world STOP BEING SUCH DISGUSTING FAT BODIES!!!!!!!!!

I'm about 6'2, 210 lbs. Former football guy, about 10% body fat right now. I'm not "Arnold" by any means, but fitness is a top priority in my life along with faith, family, work.

Anyway, just wanted to vent a bit. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but my gosh, our population has become disgusting.

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ltcherrypn View Post
    How much cheaper is it really? I mean lets think about it, a protein shake supplement cost me about $2.50 a shake. I eat yogurt as a snack which is about $0.75. I have a turkey sandwich on wheat bread, so what is that, maybe $3.00, I do like very fresh fruit and get it at a more expensive grocery store, so let say for the day $4.00. Two meals with 4-6z of lean meat, usually chicken and a side of green veggie...so that should be my two most expensive meals, at the most $12.00 for both. So for the day I eat about $22.25 in food. Now I know supplements are more, but we are talking average person.

The average person eats out at least 2 meals a day. So that is going to be around $7.00 if it is fast food. Twice equals $14.00. They will probably have about 3 cokes, so that is around 3.75. Their last meal if it is a meal at home is probably going to be a meat and two high starch meals. So, guessing around $8.00 for that meal. That brings us to $25.75....that doesn't even count the cigarettes that so many probably also have.

So for the average person trying to eat healthy it really isn't that much more expensive...is it? Are my numbers that off?
    You're 100% correct.

I work a job that has me in a car 8 hours a day, running from place to place (it's in gov't, us imagination). Hard to eat well with fast food and gas stations as main options, especially when if you sit down to eat, you may get called out right away and have to leave.

Lots of folks I work with just down cheeseburgers from McDonalds or whatever the gas station has, hot dogs, corn dogs, candy bars, etc.

I go to Whole Foods and it's amazing. Their hot bar and salad bar is a fit person's heaven. They do have some poor choices as well, but not as bad. But their selection of healthy to-go meals in a buffet layout for custom meal creation is amazing. My favorite is taking a salad bowl, tossing in their fresh spinach leaf, chopped mushrooms, onions, brocoli, walnuts, shredded grilled chicken, salsa, a small bit of fat free sour cream, and some fat free dressing.

Total cost is $7.99 a pound. I usually walk out of there with a meal costing around $6-8. Drink water out of my bottle in the car.

Then I'll have coworkers tell me I'm crazy for spending all that money on healthy food, that it's too expensive for them to bother with. All the while, after they've gone to the Wendy's and dropped $5.99 on a quad-triple bacon terminator fat body burger combo, or went to the gas station and bought a $1.50 soda, $1.50 chips, and $2.50 pre-packaged, sodium infused chicken salad sandwich thats been in the cooler for weeks, totalling like $5.50 plus tax.

So, yeah, I spend about $1 or maybe even $2 a day extra on shift to eat well. Factor in the money saved from less spent on healthcare costs due to being healthier, and I think the math comes out on the side of being fit.

Truth is, $$ is just one of the many excuses the disgusting fat bodies of our society use as a reason why they themselves cannot or simply will not put out the effort to get fit and stay fit.

flyrich has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lack of knowlege

showgirl23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showgirl23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lack of knowlege? 2014

Redrum92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Redrum92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IMHO a big factor is sugar. Companies trick you by putting it under different names... Glucose. Dextrose, fatasstrose.... Etc. In "low fat" versions of condiments and foods there is often extra sugar. And complex carbs vs simple carbs is very sugar related IMHO too. People rarely eat complex these days cuz it doesn't taste as good. When I stopped eating (added) sugar but didn't change a single other thing about my lifestyle I dropped 10lbs in 2 months.

There are some good documentaries out there but seriously, its all about sugar. Not fat, like the media would have you believe.

I think the biggest issue is people eat for enjoyment these days. In developed countries getting food is no longer a challenge, an achievement ... It is a hobby. People don't see their food as what builds their body, they see it as something to bring them pleasure. This is 99% of the problem.

I hate to be mr,.tinfoil hat but there is a huge industry for weight loss. If true facts were out there about how easy it was to do by yourself just by buying different groceries, billions and billions would be most in revenue in the USA alone. Why are people always convinced there is some new magic way to lose weight? It's not like they come out with an update for your metabolism every year, with fixes for bugs and glitches. There is no hidden secret or trendy trick, it is simple, but hard work. And all Bout consistency.
    Last edited by Redrum92; 08-30-2015 at 10:14 AM.

MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MedicChris3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I believe knowledge is the number one killer of our society. So many people I talk to are completely misinformed or over marketed to know whats good for them. They think gatorade and juices are great for them, Panera bread is healthy, meat gives you cancer and heart disease, candy bars are the only way to get diabetes. They still follow the nutritional pyramid that was developed in the 70's and have no idea what a calorie or a macronutrient is. They buy microwavable dinners for their kids and eat a bag of chips for dinner, thinking that theyre not eating that much. Its insane, but most people are too lazy or scared to learn anything.

Which brings me to my next point, laziness, the downfall of anyone trying to lose weight. Almost everyone who fails a weight loss effort does so because of the above (lack of knowledge) or laziness. They dont want to cook so they grab a burger. They dont want to workout so they fake an injury or claim they have no time. They dont want to teach their children proper habits so they feed them pizza rolls and chips. All of this is an easy fix, but it requires time, effort and patience, three things most people lack.