Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

BF and food Question

Since last May, I have lost 71 lbs. About 5 months ago, I switched from almost 100% cardio to 90% lifting, 10% cardio (mostly walking about 3 miles a few days a week).

Just for kicks, a few weeks ago I stopped in to one of the Max Muscle stores to see what they were all about. I went ahead and had them take a BF measurement. It calculated me at 20%. I stopped in yesterday (3 1/2 weeks later) and it told me I was at 23%?

I am not getting all hung up on the numbers, and was just thinking that BF measurement could be used like a scale....as just one more "indicator" about how things were going.

My weight loss since the first BF measurement was 7 lbs. By their numbers, I have lost serious muscle, and gained fat at the same time.

I told the guy I doubted I could have achieved those numbers even if that were my goal, let alone my clean diet and training schedule. Now, I'll be the first to admit that my calories are likely a little low right now (about 1800 a day), but could they be low enough to have achieved the numbers they are showing me. Any suggestions for adjusting calories is appreciated. I am getting about 190 grams of protein per day, this includes two shakes. The rest is a consistent daily intake of fat/carbs.

Just curious.

I am 5' 8", 180 lbs. All lifts have increased except my bench (not sure why). I have energy for days. My BP is great, my Glucose levels are normal (I am diabetic, no meds).
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Body fat measurements can be helpful but only if they are consistent. A 3% difference could be error. If you want to use this as a gauge get your own calipers and get good at using them. The # wont be accurate but if you can get consistent readings by practicing they will be useful when compared. By doing it your self you can compare apples to apples.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post

......It calculated me at 20%. I stopped in yesterday (3 1/2 weeks later) and it told me I was at 23%.....
    Call yourself about 21% plus or minus a few %. Those body fat measurements are just an estimate. Never trust them. Next time it might say 18% or 25%.... Average it out and call it good nuff.

Trust the scale, the tape measure and the mirror.

If you really need an accurate body fat measurement you will need to go in for an autopsy....they can figure out exactly what percent you are, but it will be hard to improve after that.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    Call yourself about 21% plus or minus a few %. Those body fat measurements are just an estimate. Never trust them. Next time it might say 18% or 25%.... Average it out and call it good nuff.

Trust the scale, the tape measure and the mirror.

If you really need an accurate body fat measurement you will need to go in for an autopsy....they can figure out exactly what percent you are, but it will be hard to improve after that.

LOL. I guess my bigger question (aside from the BF numbers) is this: is it possible to move your BF numbers 2-3 % in three weeks, in either direction?

My concern (one of my concerns anyway) is that folks will venture into stores like this, and buy expensive supps based on the "computer" numbers. I hang on BB.com, so I feel as though I am armed with a team of pretty smart guys where lifting, eating and fitness are concerned.

Thank you guys for the feedback.

Tried to rep. Apparently I've given too much lately.

BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First off, what did they use to measure your bodyfat? If it was a handheld electronic unit (not calipers), they are not very accurate and can vary depending on whether you took the measurement before or after your workout, if you're hydrated or not, etc. So this type of unit can vary widely from day to day.

If they used calipers, how many measurements did they take and was it the same person both times? Too many variables can vary your measurements. If you want to measure and track your bodyfat, buy an inexpensive set of calipers, measure yourself with at least 3 skinfold areas, and take the measurements at the same time of the day like when you first get up and are not too hydrated so you get consistent results...
    "Consistency, hard work and dedication is the key to success"

Originally Posted by BBLou View Post
    First off, what did they use to measure your bodyfat? If it was a handheld electronic unit (not calipers), they are not very accurate and can vary depending on whether you took the measurement before or after your workout, if you're hydrated or not, etc. So this type of unit can vary widely from day to day.

If they used calipers, how many measurements did they take and was it the same person both times? Too many variables can vary your measurements. If you want to measure and track your bodyfat, buy an inexpensive set of calipers, measure yourself with at least 3 skinfold areas, and take the measurements at the same time of the day like when you first get up and are not too hydrated so you get consistent results...
    They use some type of electronic gadget which takes a measurement on your bicep only. It is supposed to measure density of tissues and calculate BF based on whatever it is reading in there. I have a cheap set set of calipers which I use, but even it varies by as much as a few percent on a given day. Probably need more practice with it.

I can lose weight very quickly if I set my goal to do that. I have geared my diet towards losing BF (which I know results in "some" muscle loss over time, and believe I have done that. I guess my somewhat low caloric intake has me second guessing my diet approach.

only sane on the outside _tangy's Avatar
    _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Call yourself about 21% plus or minus a few %.
    this.
    MORE COWBELL!!

AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They use some type of electronic gadget which takes a measurement on your bicep only.
    Ok yea, that is not going to be very accurate IMO. Caliper measurements to be fairly accurate should be taken at the same time of day, by the same person using three points or seven points. But what you have there may be ok for measuring progress.

lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I find the caliper method is most innacurate for guys who have lost a lot of qweight and have a little excess "lose skin". Though its not fat, it makes the skinfold test higher than it should be.

Find somewhere that has a "bodpod" and get tested with that.
    Eat right, exercise, lift weights, get 8 hours of sleep.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    .......s it possible to move your BF numbers 2-3 % in three weeks, in either direction......
    It's certainly possible to manipulate the numbers 2-3% in a few weeks... Did your real body fat percentage change that much? Probably not.

In a couple weeks you can add maybe a pound of real muscle.... that's it!

In a couple weeks you can gain a lot of weight...some fat...a lot of water...and you can lose a lot of water weight....and certainly several pounds of fat and/or muscle.

You can drive yourself crazy with all the possibilities.... Bottom line.... forget about body fat percentage except for a casual guesstimate.

I would be very leery of anyone using body fat percentage as a way of accurately monitoring progress.

It's certainly possible to manipulate the numbers 2-3% in a few weeks... Did your real body fat percentage change that much? Probably not.

In a couple weeks you can add maybe a pound of real muscle.... that's it!

In a couple weeks you can gain a lot of weight...some fat...a lot of water...and you can lose a lot of water weight....and certainly several pounds of fat and/or muscle.

You can drive yourself crazy with all the possibilities.... Bottom line.... forget about body fat percentage except for a casual guesstimate.

I would be very leery of anyone using body fat percentage as a way of accurately monitoring progress.

I've never concerned myself with it for 99.9% of my life as to my overall state of being., and won't start now. I am more concerned with the idea that "if" it is an accurate measure in the percentage of "change," then I need to adjust something somewhere. The number in and of itself isn't the issue, as much as the change between readings. I use the scale the same way. The number on the scale doesn't make or break me, but it is without question just one more way to gauge what's going on.

Other data points I use are: pants/clothing size, energy level, pictures and weight lifted (reps/weight).

Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They use some type of electronic gadget which takes a measurement on your bicep only.
    Those things are completely worthless. They are inaccurate and inconsistent. Calipers would be more accurate, but still just a guideline. What matters is how you look in the mirror. If it looks like you're losing fat, you probably are.
    If this were easy, everyone would do it!