Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: T-grip barbell

dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So I am confused. Is the prototype you got last year what is now the full production model that they sell today? Or did the prototype bomb and today they have a revamped version? I don't see how they are going to make it right by sending the same old bar that you aren't happy with.

Like I have said months ago in this thread, the original version (the one dumb.bell has) is a beautiful bar. What appears to be out there now seems to be a significant downgrade.
    ▪█──────█▪ Equipment Crew #64 ▪█──────█▪
    ▪()()-----()()▪ York Barbell Club #83 (DD) ▪()()-----()()▪
    ▪▪█─────█▪▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #83 ▪▪█─────█▪▪
    ▪[M]===[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #14 ▪[M]===[6]▪

Seeking: Knowledge

geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dieselmike View Post
    So I am confused. Is the prototype you got last year what is now the full production model that they sell today? Or did the prototype bomb and today they have a revamped version? I don't see how they are going to make it right by sending the same old bar that you aren't happy with.

Like I have said months ago in this thread, the original version (the one dumb.bell has) is a beautiful bar. What appears to be out there now seems to be a significant downgrade.
    No the prototype bar I received is not what is currently in production. My current bar has a wider grip cross member that may be hollow and the one they have has the same thickness as the rest of the bar. With that it seems like they are solid because their bar is heavier than mine. The coating is different, the one got is glossy and the one they had is matte black with a cerakote feel to it.

They are sending me their current production model which is very close to what Dumb.bell has. Ill do a comparison/review when I receive it
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #101

geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000) geoalesolo is just really nice. (+1000)
    So after a year and going back and forth with American Barbell they finally issued me a replacement barbell and I have to tell you that the current production model is impeccable. The finish is spotless, compared to my earlier one and the weight is significantly heavier than before; wish is weighed them but oh well. The cross members are the same thickness as the rest of the bar and they feel solid which is why I think its heavier. They have a slightly different sleeve design but everything else is the same. See for yourself:

vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Did you get one with rotating sleeves?

The one dumbbell has one rod at the center whereas the new one has 2. Looks like knurling is still on 3 sides only.
    [M]===[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #35 ▪[M]===[6]

[]------[] York Barbell Club #80 (DD)[]-----[]

dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good for you updating this thread after all this time. Appreciate the follow up. Bar looks good and glad it ended well for you. I still like the older version that dumb.bell has. Just my personal opinion. They long ago changed over to that duel rod center and appears that they have stuck with that design based on the one you received.
    ▪█──────█▪ Equipment Crew #64 ▪█──────█▪
    ▪()()-----()()▪ York Barbell Club #83 (DD) ▪()()-----()()▪
    ▪▪█─────█▪▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #83 ▪▪█─────█▪▪
    ▪[M]===[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #14 ▪[M]===[6]▪

Seeking: Knowledge

Originally Posted by vhd16 View Post
    Did you get one with rotating sleeves?

The one dumbbell has one rod at the center whereas the new one has 2. Looks like knurling is still on 3 sides only.
    Yes this one has rotating sleeves

Originally Posted by dieselmike View Post
    Good for you updating this thread after all this time. Appreciate the follow up. Bar looks good and glad it ended well for you. I still like the older version that dumb.bell has. Just my personal opinion. They long ago changed over to that duel rod center and appears that they have stuck with that design based on the one you received.
    Just wanted to let people know of the troubles on getting this barbell. The replacement is great but I do agree with you, I prefer the older version with the dual rod center, but this will have to do haha

Registered User Thunderchild001's Avatar
    Thunderchild001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just came across this thread. I just ordered one of these bars yesterday!!! It looks like they have their act together now. Hopefully it will get here soon.
    Always ascend!!!

thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by geoalesolo View Post
    So I ending up going to a gym equipment expo here is LA called IHRSA and American Barbell/T-Grip owners were there. I told both of them how horrible I got the bar and the lack of customer service and they were both really apologetic and wanted to fix my issue. I first spoke to Tim and showed him my pictures posted in this forum and he felt really embarrassed that I received such a bad product and asked me details about my order date and packaging, etc. They he informed me that when I and others got the bar that they were in the process of transferring manufacturing plant (to AB) and my cries for a replacement might have been lost. Then he told me that he will make this right and talk to the owner of AB. Then I mentioned the same to Jeff, AB owner, and he confirmed that my bar was an experimental/prototype into what they are producing now. What ran into my head is that why the f would they send prototypes to customers,nevertheless, the bar they had at the show was superior in every way to the one I received. I'm in the process of finally getting as replace, 1 year later, and will do a full review of what they send me; if any.
    Wow. Well, it's great news if American Barbell is involved now. I've had a few dealings with their customer service, and they're the best in the biz, quick frankly. Hope they get you sorted out. They look like nice bars, though a bit overpriced.
    Equipment Crew #68, Ivanko Crew #47, Rogue Barbell Club #7, Mech6 Crew #30
    7'x18' Home Gym: http://goo.gl/CBphUy
    Best Lifts @ 153 bw: Sq 320, BP 245, DL 320, Press 155

TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by geoalesolo View Post
    So after a year and going back and forth with American Barbell they finally issued me a replacement barbell and I have to tell you that the current production model is impeccable. The finish is spotless, compared to my earlier one and the weight is significantly heavier than before; wish is weighed them but oh well. The cross members are the same thickness as the rest of the bar and they feel solid which is why I think its heavier. They have a slightly different sleeve design but everything else is the same. See for yourself:

I'm going to bump this because I'm interested in buying this bar.

Any detailed reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TunaGill View Post

Thanks.
    I have the version that has fixed sleeves, not the rotating sleeves and it’s the only bar that I use for benching and barbell military presses. The balance and feel is really good, knurl is perfect for what I use it for.
    I’ve had about four years now and the craftsmanship is great and it’s held up really good. Even the powder coat still looks nearly new despite being used several times weekly.
    I don’t recall any problems with my order or getting it.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    I have the version that has fixed sleeves, not the rotating sleeves and it’s the only bar that I use for benching and barbell military presses. The balance and feel is really good, knurl is perfect for what I use it for.
    I’ve had about four years now and the craftsmanship is great and it’s held up really good. Even the powder coat still looks nearly new despite being used several times weekly.
    Agree with all of this except I had the version with rotating sleeves and there was inherently some instability that I couldn't get past for pressing movements so I sold it. Everything else about the bar was fantastic.I think the non-rotating sleeve version is probably the way to go.

Ironically, I have a Rogue MG-4CN with rotating sleeves arriving any day. I'm hoping the camber and the fact that I went with the shorter sleeves will make it feel more stable than the T-Grip. We shall see. It's another bar for you to consider, but it's hard to go wrong with American Barbell.

https://www.roguefitness.com/mg-4cn-...rip-camber-bar

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Agree with all of this except I had the version with rotating sleeves and there was inherently some instability that I couldn't get past for pressing movements so I sold it. Everything else about the bar was fantastic.I think the non-rotating sleeve version is probably the way to go.

Ironically, I have a Rogue MG-4CN with rotating sleeves arriving any day. I'm hoping the camber and the fact that I went with the shorter sleeves will make it feel more stable than the T-Grip. We shall see. It's another bar for you to consider, but it's hard to go wrong with American Barbell.

Saweet! The shorter handles should help with the instability, good to see Rogue taking a page out of Edge Fitness' playbook and making a more 'slim' version.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm curious how the slim middle part of the American Barbell stacks up against the Rogue MG-4CN's middle.

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks.
    Not a detailed review but it's a great bar, the best multigrip bar IMO with how easy it is to OHP with it. I highly recommend the angled grip, fixed sleeve version.

This all assumes you want a multigrip bar of course. I have moved back to barbell movements for the most part but it's nice to have in case I decide to integrate it in the rotation again. Also works as a pretty decent curl bar too so I sold those that I had.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    It also makes a nice curl bar, I sold those that I had.
    I had a rackable curl and sold it after getting the T-Grip bar. No regrets.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm curious how the slim middle part of the American Barbell stacks up against the Rogue MG-4CN's middle.
    I have the Rogue MG-4CN now and have used it a couple times for benching and once for rows. It's easy one to recommend for those applications. Feels great with only slight instability, which I really doubt you can get around unless you stick to straight bar only.

As far as OHP goes, I think Rogue would be acceptable but the AB bar is going to be better for clearance simply because it's narrower at the center. However, you're restricted to two grip options with AB which would make it a no-go for me. I have chronic shoulder issues and have to dial in my grip width perfectly or I'm in trouble. I might try the Rogue bar for OHP at some point but straight bar and DB remain my priority and I'm not really interested in adding the camber bar to the equation.

As far as finishes go, I got matte black for the sleeves and straight handles. The sleeves already seem to be showing wear but I couldn't care less. The matte handles feel good, but I got stainless for the 16-deg handles and I think they feel slightly better. 90% of people would be good with matte but I'm a stainless fanboy.

My only regret was not getting a pair of 20-deg grips to "complete" the bar. It comes with straight and I added 16-deg. I'll add 20-deg stainless grips later. I don't have another Rogue bar for comparison, but I think the knurl is probably from the Ohio Bar. Grippy but not very aggressive. Works fine!

I have the Rogue MG-4CN now and have used it a couple times for benching and once for rows. It's easy one to recommend for those applications. Feels great with only slight instability, which I really doubt you can get around unless you stick to straight bar only.

As far as OHP goes, I think Rogue would be acceptable but the AB bar is going to be better for clearance simply because it's narrower at the center. However, you're restricted to two grip options with AB which would make it a no-go for me. I have chronic shoulder issues and have to dial in my grip width perfectly or I'm in trouble. I might try the Rogue bar for OHP at some point but straight bar and DB remain my priority and I'm not really interested in adding the camber bar to the equation.

As far as finishes go, I got matte black for the sleeves and straight handles. The sleeves already seem to be showing wear but I couldn't care less. The matte handles feel good, but I got stainless for the 16-deg handles and I think they feel slightly better. 90% of people would be good with matte but I'm a stainless fanboy.

My only regret was not getting a pair of 20-deg grips to "complete" the bar. It comes with straight and I added 16-deg. I'll add 20-deg stainless grips later. I don't have another Rogue bar for comparison, but I think the knurl is probably from the Ohio Bar. Grippy but not very aggressive. Works fine!
    Great

Thanks for the info