Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by maguirre View Post
    Is it possible to perform a variation of the "McKenzie stretch" standing up???
    I've seen it done bending backwards up against a desk or kitchen cabinet.
    It would be very convenient if this stretch could be done while standing.

maguirre
    NO, that puts a lot of weird stress on ur spine. the advantage oflying down is that there i no presure on ur spine when u do it.

maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by MikeD4386 View Post
    NO, that puts a lot of weird stress on ur spine. the advantage oflying down is that there i no presure on ur spine when u do it.
    Wow.... that's exactly what I thought...
    thanks Mike, I'll stay away from those...

maguirre

apathy280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did not read any one elses replies but,

Do not try anything such as sports, lifting, or anything else that's going to stress your back.

I herniated my lower disc and didn't know.

For soccer my coaches just wanted me in the game and I would play until i couldn't even walk. Go lay on the coach in pain. I used icy hot, ice, everything.

Once I found out the problem I didn't care I thought i was being a p*ssy if I toke time to heal myself.

I made it through my soccer season but could barely play in the games and left me constantly in pain.

Then once wrestling season got started I realized I'm only making thinks worse and let myself time to heal.

It toke me a year and a half to start playing soccer again and almost 2 and a half years for wrestling.

Long story short, I did a lot more damage trying to work through the pain. In the long term, it was a bad move on my part.

Let yourself heal fully.
    You might only feel small pain sometimes when trying to work out but believe me it can get worse real quick

MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by apathy280 View Post
    I did not read any one elses replies but,

Do not try anything such as sports, lifting, or anything else that's going to stress your back.

I herniated my lower disc and didn't know.

For soccer my coaches just wanted me in the game and I would play until i couldn't even walk. Go lay on the coach in pain. I used icy hot, ice, everything.

Once I found out the problem I didn't care I thought i was being a p*ssy if I toke time to heal myself.

I made it through my soccer season but could barely play in the games and left me constantly in pain.

Then once wrestling season got started I realized I'm only making thinks worse and let myself time to heal.

It toke me a year and a half to start playing soccer again and almost 2 and a half years for wrestling.

Long story short, I did a lot more damage trying to work through the pain. In the long term, it was a bad move on my part.

Let yourself heal fully.
    You might only feel small pain sometimes when trying to work out but believe me it can get worse real quick
    ya i did the same thing, added 75 lbs to my squat with a herniated disc.

its not about not being a bitch, its called being a dumbass

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    That McKenzie stretch just looks like a yoga move, and I guess I could understand backbending helping if the disc slip was caused by too much forward-bending but...

If they are being pinched, you DO want to create space, but I'm not sure that this is the best way to do it. It's very difficult to traction the spine like that, to do so you have to try and pull your upper body forward while keeping your pelvis anchored on the ground with friction. It's almost like doing an ab wheel or lat pullover movement.

To me, the more obvious way to create space in the vertebrae would be hanging traction:

Of course, I might prefer to hang with my hips extended and knees flexed instead, depends on comfort I guess. Could slowly alternate between the two as long as you don't swing.

Doing your prone back bend (isn't this the yoga 'cobra'?) after hanging traction, I wonder how that would affect it?
    Last edited by Tyciol; 07-24-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How do you know when it is completely healed? The doctors told me not to perform any physical activities for 2 weeks. I have problems at my L4/L5, L5/S1 vertebrae, the distance between them is too big. I am still on medication, and finally after two weeks I no longer feel the pain. O know that I am not healed, but when will be the best moment to start running and exercising again?
    For Man's grim Justice goes its way,
    And will not swerve aside:
    It slays the weak, it slays the strong,
    It has a deadly stride:
    With iron heel it slays the strong,
    The monstrous parricide!

WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^ do you mean the distance between them is too small? if you've got two herniated discs i would not recommend running at all for a long time. even for a healthy back- running takes its toll.

Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well I'm 8 months in from my Injury now, and I'm semi healed.

I'm pain free 99% of the day, but I get funny traveling pains here and there, as well as cold water nerve pains in my shins whenever I walk, and in my feet.

It's weird but not painful, I'm scared to go back to a gym.
    BMI = 24.93%
    Height = 5'11
    Weight = 193 Pounds

Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000) Galvatorex is just really nice. (+1000)
    ok OP what do i do if doing the mckenzie (sp) stretch causes me pain/numbness in my legs after doing it, not during. I was told my chiros i have to do it for it to heal. But i did it for like 3 days and the next day i was in pain on both sides of my lower back not one. Then when i go ****, every now and then now. When i get off the toilet my legs go numb very badly for around 5 minutes.

I wish i would have never deadlifted . I cant work now, im terrified to even try to lift again ever. I gotta be careful when doing a lot of things. It seems like its ok now cause i havent been getting bad pain recently.

I just dont know what to do i dont wanna be worthless ( i already am, not helping my mom pay for **** ect....) im so depressed all the time its pathetic because of this damn injury and my lack of money. The only way i can be happy is taking vicodin (i get for my back)

I feel like i may as well be dead atleast i wouldnt be a damn burden :|

Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zprime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Galvatorex View Post
    ok OP what do i do if doing the mckenzie (sp) stretch causes me pain/numbness in my legs after doing it, not during. I was told my chiros i have to do it for it to heal. But i did it for like 3 days and the next day i was in pain on both sides of my lower back not one. Then when i go ****, every now and then now. When i get off the toilet my legs go numb very badly for around 5 minutes.

I wish i would have never deadlifted . I cant work now, im terrified to even try to lift again ever. I gotta be careful when doing a lot of things. It seems like its ok now cause i havent been getting bad pain recently.

I just dont know what to do i dont wanna be worthless ( i already am, not helping my mom pay for **** ect....) im so depressed all the time its pathetic because of this damn injury and my lack of money. The only way i can be happy is taking vicodin (i get for my back)

Dont MCKenzie Stretch as far, Try just lifting your back off the floor a little.

Heres how it works..

Atm you have a bulging disc

When you Mckenzie stretch you pinch it

At the moment it squeezes out like toothpaste, hits a nerve, and your sore

So Dont McKenzie Stretch as far, just do it gently, the disc will reabsorb but it could take a few weeks or months.

Stay positive though my friend, it will heal, discs just take a bloody long time.

In the mean time look up stretch sitting on youtube by Esther Gokhale, It taught me how to stretch my spine while sitting, got rid of my sciatica when sitting, and while I play Video Games Im healing Great news eh
    BMI = 24.93%
    Height = 5'11
    Weight = 193 Pounds

Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vdcnsrg has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by WibbleWabble View Post
    ^ do you mean the distance between them is too small? if you've got two herniated discs i would not recommend running at all for a long time. even for a healthy back- running takes its toll.
    Hmm, the doctor said that I can go, but if I feel pain I should stop imediately. The distance between L4 and L5 is bigger than it should be, not smaller.

Originally Posted by Zprime View Post
    It's weird but not painful, I'm scared to go back to a gym.
    The pain stopped for about 4 days now, I'm eager to start running, lifting, and so on, but I know that if I will do it I will **** up my back even more. I will start going to a doctor who will show me some stretches for my back.

Originally Posted by Galvatorex View Post

I feel you. I'm depressed since this happened, angry, I feel like ****.

Do you think that these things ever heal? The doctor said that since I felt pain, I will feel it for my entire life as soon as I lift, or something like that. I can not accept the fact that I can't run, or go to the gym, and so on. Also, do you feel numb in the lower back, leg area? Scary as hell.
    It has a deadly stride:
    The monstrous parricide!

Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just injured my back deadlifting yesterday. It really hurts at the tailbone area; it hurts to sit down now, hurts to get into the car and drive, and I just tried the mckenzie stretch. I do 10 reps for 10 seconds each rep.

The bouncing on the ball however sort of hurts.. I do it gently but sitting down in that position just seems to hurt my lower back.. seeing a chiro today. Pretty sure it's my L5

Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've been following this thread for a long time. I'm coming up on a year of having an L5-S1 protrusion and I'm so depressed it's killing me. Lifting was my life and it's been gone for the past year. I'm doing PT every day, and chiro once a week. I'm not in the worst pain at all, but I still can't squat or deadlift. It's been one hell of a roller coaster and I broke down so many times over the past year because of this. Just in to let everyone know that I feel your pain. It absolutely kills me to not be able to do what I once could. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Can't you do any other exercises? Pulldowns, bench press, pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, that sort of thing?
    It has a deadly stride:
    The monstrous parricide!

Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stoicao is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah I can do all that, but can't do squats, leg presses, deads, and most rows. It sucks.

maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Stoicao View Post
    I've been following this thread for a long time. I'm coming up on a year of having an L5-S1 protrusion and I'm so depressed it's killing me. Lifting was my life and it's been gone for the past year. I'm doing PT every day, and chiro once a week. I'm not in the worst pain at all, but I still can't squat or deadlift. It's been one hell of a roller coaster and I broke down so many times over the past year because of this. Just in to let everyone know that I feel your pain. It absolutely kills me to not be able to do what I once could. I really don't know what to do anymore.
    hey.... I'm sorry to hear what you're going thru... I myself suffer from a herniated disc L4-L5 and a bulging disc L5-S1. I injured it squatting. Don't be drepressed things will get better. You just have to take care of yourself... I was also in alot of pain (serious/crippling) pain for years... Little activities like going catching a low thrown football would mess me up for a week.
    All I can tell you is what has work for me... i've been with no pain for months now (knock on wood). Here's what I've done.

First you have to figure out the cause/s of your pain are.... I of course injured my back squatting but discoverd that i had bad overall posture... especifically my pelvic posture.
    I discovered that I had developed APT (anterior pelvic tilt) over the years, since I sit on a desk most of my day... therefore:

I stretch at least twice a day (waking up/before bedtime). I stretch my hammies, lower back, quads, glutes.
    I perform the mackensie stretch...
    I've been doing all the corrective stretches/excersices for APT.
    you can start here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123812871
    I'm always concious of my posture... especially my lumbar area.
    You don't want excessive lordorsis, you want to keep your back on its normal arch as long as possible.
    You also don't want to arch your back... I personally don't arch my back for anything, even if I have to pick up a pencil of the floor.
    I also don't run... I have jogged lately... but very lightly.
    I'm back at the gym doing everything except DL or squats. Recently I started doing light loaded excersices standing up like shoulder presses or bicep curls... but always making sure that my back/abs are tight... keeping my back straight.
    I'll eventually get back to squatting and deadlifting though I doubt I'll break any records for power lifts once I have completely corrected my APT and my herniated disc has healed... idk... maybe in 6 months.
    Hope this helps... take care and keep us posted.

maguirre

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by maguirre View Post
    Is it possible to perform a variation of the "McKenzie stretch" standing up???
    I've seen it done bending backwards up against a desk or kitchen cabinet.
    It would be very convenient if this stretch could be done while standing.

maguirre
    You can do the same movement standing up..hold your hands on the back of your hips. Not as effective as the lying version, but more practical.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000) DenD359 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just want to say thanks for sharing the things you read in the book. I have a slipped herniated disk in my lower right back since 10 months ago but I can deadlift just fine. However, when I try to raise a leg while sitting, I can definitely feel pain and I haven't really given my lower back the care it needs.. will definitely start doing the McKenzie stretch and hopefully it recovers in a year.

Originally Posted by DenD359 View Post
    I just want to say thanks for sharing the things you read in the book. I have a slipped herniated disk in my lower right back since 10 months ago but I can deadlift just fine. However, when I try to raise a leg while sitting, I can definitely feel pain and I haven't really given my lower back the care it needs.. will definitely start doing the McKenzie stretch and hopefully it recovers in a year.
    How much do you DL, just curious???? I would stay away from that exercise, especially if you are feeling pain. All it takes is one fraction of a second that you lose concentration and your form goes out of wack... and your back will suffer the consequences.
    Where does it hurt when you lift your leg??? I assume is your right leg.
    Mine hurts too when I lift it. I feel pain in my hamstring and the right side of my lower back, just above my butt. I've been stretching my hamstring to re-gain full motion w/o the pain.
    It seems to be getting better.

maguirre

omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000)
    is the mckenzie stretch supposed to hurt? man I only have to be on my elbow lifting my head up and it hurts like a bitch

Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) Junkbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Has anyone experienced any popping of the back associated with a bulging disc? I fell out of a tree 2 months ago and just last week I started experiencing a popping in my mid back along with mild but constant pain. The popping occurs when I'm laying down and try to get up. Also, my back pops if I lift my left leg while standing. Can this be associated with a bulging disc?

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by omglazer View Post
    is the mckenzie stretch supposed to hurt? man I only have to be on my elbow lifting my head up and it hurts like a bitch
    It may hurt in the back, but the 10th repetition should be more comfortable than the 1st. If not, you may need to only prop on your elbows for 30 seconds.

If the exercises cause back pain to increase but leg pain to decrease, then continue on. This is quite ok.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Just a gym rat TheProgressiveOne's Avatar
    TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheProgressiveOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    good article mate..

thanks for the advice for any weightlifters out there this is a good read.

Mods..sticky maybe?

MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50) MSB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the tips
    My life's been on hold the last 2 and a half months..This week is actually the 9th week I'v been completely out of the gym.
    Diagnosed with 3 bulging disks. Now I see most people have bulging and herniated Lumbar discs. Has anyone experienced thoracic disc bulges?
    got the MRI back about a week ago. I believe they were T4-5 T5-6 and T6-7, I don't think they are on the nerve though
    Anyone have experience with Thoracic discs or problems they had?
    9 weeks out of the gym..which is my life, and scared I might never be the same

DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Been in pain from deadlifts gone wrong for about 6 months. Sciatica all the way into my foot with tingling and numbness through the calf and toes. Finally got around to getting an MRI and I have a herniated L4/L5 pushing on the sciatic nerve.

Currently going through decompression and rehydration therapy as well as working on a lot of core stuff + walking + swimming.

I've been afraid to do the McKenzie exercises because I've read a good deal of research showing that that position can exacerbate a herniated disk even worse.

Anyway, I wish I'd of gotten the MRI sooner.

I was being told by my PT that I had SI Joint Dysfunction and muscle imbalances. So I wasted several hundred dollars and 5 months of my life (in extreme pain) being treated for SI Joint Dysfunction. My MD demanded I get a MRI but because of cost I put it off. Finally my Chiro took Xrays and said some of my disks don't look right and said the MRI was necessary. I got the MRI and it confirmed the L4/L5 herniation.

Since then (been a week since those results) I've been doing a lot of stretching, back stabilization, and bought a mattress topper (memory foam) and it's made a HUGE difference. I went from 1200 mg ibuprofen a day to only needing 200-400mg and hoping by next week I won't need any pain meds.

Sleeping less really helped a lot too. The more I sleep, the more pain I have. So I try to get by on 6 hours or so, 7 at max. Anything over 8 and pain is considerably worse.

I'm prepared to put in tons of work and hope to be all healed up within a year. Done with deadlifts and back squats though since I've 2 disk injuries and both were caused by these lifts.

kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurious is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Thanks for the tips
    My life's been on hold the last 2 and a half months..This week is actually the 9th week I'v been completely out of the gym.
    Diagnosed with 3 bulging disks. Now I see most people have bulging and herniated Lumbar discs. Has anyone experienced thoracic disc bulges?
    got the MRI back about a week ago. I believe they were T4-5 T5-6 and T6-7, I don't think they are on the nerve though
    Anyone have experience with Thoracic discs or problems they had?
    9 weeks out of the gym..which is my life, and scared I might never be the same
    I would suggest some kind of conservative care (ibuprofen and rest) until your physician prescribes a treatment.

"Pain control is important early in the disease course. Patients should be advised to avoid activities that cause increased pain and to avoid heavy lifting. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are often the first line of treatment and help control pain and inflammation....Physical therapy can be used initially to assist with pain control. Modalities such as ultrasound and electrical stimulation may reduce pain and improve mobility. Physical therapy can then progress with spine stabilization exercises, back and abdominal strengthening, and a trial of mechanical spine traction. Some patients may benefit from a thoracolumbar brace to reduce segmental spine movement. Patients with significant spinal instability documented by imaging studies should be referred to a spine surgeon"

Source: Rosenberg, Darren. Frontera: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2nd ed. Ch 39.

Just be sure you take care of yourself and don't let your emotions get the best of you. You'll get back in the gym, you just need to make sure you get back in the right form.

DTRex, can you ellaborate on the rehydration therapy you are going through? I have tried damn near everything to get this L4-L5 better to hardly any avail. I don't have too bad of pain, but the thought of me not being able to do nearly as much stuff in the gym ever again has tore me apart for the past year. I think I will do decompression next summer because I can't right now being in college. I have been doing PT (stretching, core) for months, but is there any core exercises that are your staple that have really helped your back? I need some new ones.

I agree with sleep making things hurt more. It's such a bitch.

Mordey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Animals,

In August 2009, I herniated four discs (L1-2), (L2-3), (L3-4), (L4-5), after falling down a flight of stairs.

Subsequent MRI scans also revealed I had a "degenerative spine disease" (severe arthritis) in my lumbar region.

My doctors told me I'd never play sports again, and laughed when I asked about returning to the gym.

After doing lots of physio, stretching, hydrotherapy etc, I was finally refered to one of Australia's top back specialists, and on the 23rd of August 2010, I underwent a spinal fusion (L4-5) and a disc replacement (L3-4).

It wasn't cheap, but is was the best money I ever spent. After 12 months of basically lying on the floor, I have my life back.

After surgery I began clinical pilaties along with low intensity cardio and some streching exercises.

11 weeks after surgery I returned to the gym!! and have to date lost 14kgs (I blew out to 103kgs before the op). I'm also back doing boxing training (fitness focus atm) and in a few weeks hope to be able to do brazilian ju-jitsu.

So, while its early days, it is possible to come back from this injury, no matter what anyone says.

NEVER GIVE UP!

jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wat should i do for a cervical herniated disk?(part of the normal discs)

How long do i rest it for? What exercises can i start to do, what should i stay away from....when can i begin these again?

Kenshin88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tried the Mckenzie stretch a few days ago. Been in horrible sciatica pain running down both legs now and into my feet as well as by back killing me on both sides.

If it hurts this bad should I stop or is this normal?