Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What's the best type of protein shake for bulking?

I currently take a protein shake every day (post-workout for 4 of the days and with my first meal on my 3 off days). I bought a new bag of protein shake a few months ago, but I realized that it was different than my first one.

My first bag was EAS 100% Whey (23 g). My second bag was EAS Premium Protein (27 g). Unfortunately I can't post links, but if you google them you can see what they look like.

The first bag was 100% whey, but the second bag has a "Premium Three-Stage Blend." Unfortunately, I don't have the bag with me, but I think around 20-40% of it was Whey, with the rest being something else, such as soy protein or milk protein (these are just guesses, I'm not entirely sure).

I've read that whey protein is only effective post-workout, but I take 3 protein shakes a week where I don't work out (I'm a vegetarian, so I need the extra protein to supplement my diet). So basically, considering that I take protein shakes every day (and I only work out 4 of those days), is the 2nd bag of protein better for me or should I go back to the protein shake that is 100% whey? Or should I switch to another type of protein entirely? (I've read stuff about Myoplex Original but I'm not sure what that is)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Earned the title! caseykrajenka's Avatar
    caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000) caseykrajenka is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Sh00tL00ps View Post
    I currently take a protein shake every day (post-workout for 4 of the days and with my first meal on my 3 off days). I bought a new bag of protein shake a few months ago, but I realized that it was different than my first one.

My first bag was EAS 100% Whey (23 g). My second bag was EAS Premium Protein (27 g). Unfortunately I can't post links, but if you google them you can see what they look like.

The first bag was 100% whey, but the second bag has a "Premium Three-Stage Blend." Unfortunately, I don't have the bag with me, but I think around 20-40% of it was Whey, with the rest being something else, such as soy protein or milk protein (these are just guesses, I'm not entirely sure).

I've read that whey protein is only effective post-workout, but I take 3 protein shakes a week where I don't work out (I'm a vegetarian, so I need the extra protein to supplement my diet). So basically, considering that I take protein shakes every day (and I only work out 4 of those days), is the 2nd bag of protein better for me or should I go back to the protein shake that is 100% whey? Or should I switch to another type of protein entirely? (I've read stuff about Myoplex Original but I'm not sure what that is)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    First off if you really are looking to bulk I would suggest adding a weight gainer to your diet on days you workout, either TrueMass or Mass XXX, I've seen good results from both and have heard nothing but positive reviews on TrueMass, Mass XXX personally was better for me but I've heard a lot of not so positive ones there so I would say TrueMass would be your best bet. You get the added benefits of carbs, as well as still all the protein of a regular protein shake.
    Also not sure if you already do it, but if you're not, you should be mixing it with milk instead of water, it's like an extra 8g protein per 8oz's or something along those lines, get 2% or fat-free and you're good to go.
    If you're truely content on just protein I would stick with the Optimum 100% Whey, for me theres nothing that comes close in taste or performance.
    They have the new Hydro-Whey out but I haven't really looked into it so I'm not sure what's suppose to be so much better about it (if anything).
    But I'd say just stick with the Optimum brand and you should be good to go.
    The thing to remember about trying to bulk with a protein-only supplement diet is that your results are going to take a much longer time simply for the fact that you don't have the added benefits of the carbs.
    The plus side to this is that you're results are also going to be a much cleaner bulk and you're not going to be adding on a lot of extra weight. Most of the results you're going to see are going to be muscle.

Hope this helps bro

Edit: Forgot to add, you might want to look into picking yourself up a Caesin Protein to stack with you're regular protein.
    Maintin you're 3 normal shakes a day, have one with 2 of you're meals each day, preferably breakfast and lunch, take the 3rd immedietly after working out and then right before going to bed take a Caesin protein shake.
    It's a slower acting protein so you're body continously feeds off of it throughout the night and it'll help in your gains well still maintaining a clean bulk.

Addition 2: Amino Acids are key! Most proteins don't include all the essentials for you're body to truely utilize the full benefits of a protein. I'm not as knowledgeable in this area so I would suggest going to you're local GNC or whatever store you use and discussing them with a rep their, they should be able to tell you everything you know.
    What I can tell you is that I have been utilizing L-Glutamine which helps in the muslces absorbtion of protein and makes for quicker gains and faster muscle repair as well as L-Carnitine which helps the bodies ability to use fat cells for energy, therefore burning more fat during my workouts, seeing faster, cleaner results which I'm sure everyones looking for.

That should about do it.
    Last edited by caseykrajenka; 03-25-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Forgot 2 importan topics

Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh00tL00ps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by caseykrajenka View Post
    First off if you really are looking to bulk I would suggest adding a weight gainer to your diet on days you workout, either TrueMass or Mass XXX, I've seen good results from both and have heard nothing but positive reviews on TrueMass, Mass XXX personally was better for me but I've heard a lot of not so positive ones there so I would say TrueMass would be your best bet. You get the added benefits of carbs, as well as still all the protein of a regular protein shake.
    Also not sure if you already do it, but if you're not, you should be mixing it with milk instead of water, it's like an extra 8g protein per 8oz's or something along those lines, get 2% or fat-free and you're good to go.
    If you're truely content on just protein I would stick with the Optimum 100% Whey, for me theres nothing that comes close in taste or performance.
    They have the new Hydro-Whey out but I haven't really looked into it so I'm not sure what's suppose to be so much better about it (if anything).
    But I'd say just stick with the Optimum brand and you should be good to go.
    The thing to remember about trying to bulk with a protein-only supplement diet is that your results are going to take a much longer time simply for the fact that you don't have the added benefits of the carbs.
    The plus side to this is that you're results are also going to be a much cleaner bulk and you're not going to be adding on a lot of extra weight. Most of the results you're going to see are going to be muscle.

Hope this helps bro

Edit: Forgot to add, you might want to look into picking yourself up a Caesin Protein to stack with you're regular protein.
    Maintin you're 3 normal shakes a day, have one with 2 of you're meals each day, preferably breakfast and lunch, take the 3rd immedietly after working out and then right before going to bed take a Caesin protein shake.
    It's a slower acting protein so you're body continously feeds off of it throughout the night and it'll help in your gains well still maintaining a clean bulk.

Addition 2: Amino Acids are key! Most proteins don't include all the essentials for you're body to truely utilize the full benefits of a protein. I'm not as knowledgeable in this area so I would suggest going to you're local GNC or whatever store you use and discussing them with a rep their, they should be able to tell you everything you know.
    What I can tell you is that I have been utilizing L-Glutamine which helps in the muslces absorbtion of protein and makes for quicker gains and faster muscle repair as well as L-Carnitine which helps the bodies ability to use fat cells for energy, therefore burning more fat during my workouts, seeing faster, cleaner results which I'm sure everyones looking for.

That should about do it.
    Wow, thanks a lot man. That's really helpful. I'll try to incorporate the stuff you mentioned into my diet, but I may not be able to afford it since I go through the protein shakes very quickly. But thanks for the well-written advice, I really appreciate it.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    save your money and just use the whey
    you can get that brand dirt cheap at Sams and Costco
    If using it prebed, just include a fat (Peanut BUtter) with it to slow digestion
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironraider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    buy the best whey isolate money can buy. the purest form with the highest amount of aminos and blend up a smoothie with fruit milk cottage cheese and other types of good carbs.

Most weight gainers have low value protein types like whey concentrate and dont absorb the best anyway. So making your own works best.

crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crafty100 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have recently ordered Sci-Mx Protein 5 which is a multi-protein powder and has 40grams protein per serving and all are amino acids. Whey protein is best post-workout as its fast digesting so can hit the required areas quicker, so that is definately best then, but on off days, maybe a multi-protein would be better so it supplies you for a longer period of time?? Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lod254 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    save your money and just use the whey
    you can get that brand dirt cheap at Sams and Costco
    If using it prebed, just include a fat (Peanut BUtter) with it to slow digestion
    Soy can be cheap too. I'm getting 2lb EAS canisters soy for ~$9. I also take a gainer on workout days.

Take a good look at what you're buying. My gainer and my protein come out to be about the same per gram of protein, so I will likely ditch my soy and just take gainer all the time during my bulk.

$9 - 20g/serving - 14servings
    ~$60 (trying to include some of the shipping cost) - 60g/serving - 28servings

$9 for 280g vs. $60 for 1680g
    9/280 = x/1680
    x=54

If the gainer was $54 they'd be equal. Any discounts or less shipping bring them real close in price.
    ~Barefooters Crew~
    -oooO-----------
    -(__)-----Oooo--
    --\-(------(__)--
    ---\_)-----)-/---
    ----------(_/----
    -----------------

PSN: zGooch

1k+