Thread: 'Til Failure

whoknows46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

'Til Failure

How come it is sometimes advised to work until failure, while other times it is advised against?

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    cause different people have different opinions

Mesjac Pomsty
    It all depends on your whole routine, your volume, and intensity.

Mesjac Pomsty
    generally, if you work to failure in a very volume intense program week after week, you'll fry your central nervous system and eventually make backwards progress.

whoknows46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Take for instance a pushup routine ... that's not high volume ... but I've read that you should only do pushups to failure a few days a week ... what would be the reasoning?

Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Because some people know what they are talking about, and other people do not.

Training to failure isnt allways bad, it just isnt a good idea when you are bodybuilding. Even when strength training, it isnt a necessity to always train to failure.

Training to failure on small, isolated exercises won't hurt much, though.

Training to failure all the time is bad for two main reasons.

- You are more likely to burn out before your workout is complete -- much more likely if you are trying to get in a high number of sets.

- It will prolong recovery if you do it consistently, since the CNS usually takes a good deal longer to recover than your muscles. Just becuase you arent sore doesnt mean youre recovered...

It wont help you to make better bbing gains. In the world of building muscle, those 'last couple of reps' arent what do all the work...... 'every one of those reps' are what do all the work.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mesjac Pomsty View Post
    X2.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah i would only train to failure on push-ups or sit-ups, Basically anything using your own body weight.

Consistency + Knowledge BodySculpting's Avatar
    BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Mesjac Pomsty View Post
    Yes.

Personally, I think training to failure should be done 80% of the time with breaks (a week or two) of light lifting or no lifting every 6-8 weeks. We are in the gym to tear muscle fibers apart and we tear the most when we push ourselves the most. I cannot do a set and finish it knowing I could do 3 more reps, why? To me, that means I didn't challenge my muscles to their maximum potential.

Again, I believe that MOST of the time training to failure is necessary for optimum growth (assuming proper nutrition/rest is dialed in).

Training to failure is only bad when you do it EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT ON EVERY SINGLE SET ON EVERY SINGLE EXERCISE AND NEVER GIVE YOUR BODY A BREAK.
    "The only way out of hell, is through it. "

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BodySculpting View Post
    Yes.

Personally, I think training to failure should be done 80% of the time with breaks (a week or two) of light lifting or no lifting every 6-8 weeks. We are in the gym to tear muscle fibers apart and we tear the most when we push ourselves the most. I cannot do a set and finish it knowing I could do 3 more reps, why? To me, that means I didn't challenge my muscles to their maximum potential.

Again, I believe that MOST of the time training to failure is necessary for optimum growth (assuming proper nutrition/rest is dialed in).

Training to failure is only bad when you do it EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT ON EVERY SINGLE SET ON EVERY SINGLE EXERCISE AND NEVER GIVE YOUR BODY A BREAK.
    x2.
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

100% Natural Bodybuilder SB100%Natural's Avatar
    SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by whoknows46 View Post
    Take for instance a pushup routine ... that's not high volume ... but I've read that you should only do pushups to failure a few days a week ... what would be the reasoning?
    Any routine can be high volume, its purely dependant on the amount of reps and sets, not the specific exercise. Doing 3 sets of 30 push ups 3 times a week would be pretty high volume for the pushing muscles. A routine like this probably wouldn't allow enough recovery time for a natural trainee.

100% Natural Bodybuilder SB100%Natural's Avatar
    SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BodySculpting View Post
    Yes.

Nicely said. One should ideally train with periods of high intensity (HIT) and periods of lower intensity but with higher volume. You'll get the best of both worlds then. I agree with taking a week off every 6 - 8 weeks of HIT training. You'll come back better than ever. Training every set to absolute failure every workout, always, will eventually cause overtraining. Higher volume training will help expand your nervous system and allow you train even harder when you train HIT. Nothing should be done "always" in bodybuilding except for the use of good form and a good attitude.

raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by whoknows46 View Post
    How come it is sometimes advised to work until failure, while other times it is advised against?
    What works for some and so on. Personally for me I always train to failure at low volume and continue to get strong.
    Ansew to the few pms I've gotten since popping back on-line...

NO I never got full amount back from 'him', still owed for FAKE t3 and wu fee... More than a year on I can't be bothered to carry on chasing it up.. Unfortunatly word is he is on another bb community forum still selling