Tingly like Beta-Alanine! alkemyst's Avatar
    alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

alternatives to Skullcrushers and Tricep Extensions?

I am doing Dips already...kickbacks could work but I don't think they are a good mass builder.

I blew out an elbow and have joint damage + bad tendonitis still.

Skullcrushers even light kill me. Tricep extensions hurt. Pushdowns hurt a bit.

Dips are pain free.

The rest of my exercises are pain free too.

What are some better tricep exercises I can do?

Thanks
    Å

shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I find Dumbbell close grip bench presses very good for triceps, do them strict with elbows brought down very close to sides of waist and there should be no pain in elbows from doing this. Doing them on a slight decline makes them hit the triceps even better.

Just to add, do them with a hammer style grip also..

SixMillionDollarPostman buff_dad_dy's Avatar
    buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do not know where to lead you on this but i do a lot of work that involve the tri one way or another. Are you able to do any DB overhead or other DB presses without much pain?
    Enjoying great genetics since 1969!

wanting the wife to give me that wink just like the Bowflex guys says ;)

My goal is to succeed on My Terms and not to fail on someone elses!

Erected 1969

alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do triceps on my back day, then skip a day, then chest.

I could do decline close grip BP's probably then.

I can do military presses no problem overhead (bar or dumbbell)

shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
    I do triceps on my back day, then skip a day, then chest.

I could do decline close grip BP's probably then.

I can do military presses no problem overhead (bar or dumbbell)
    How to you actually find the pain when doing lying DB triceps extensions with a hammer grip? This should also take some of the strain in the elbows away as its more neutral arm position and a little less stressful on the elbow than barbells.

I do decline db cg bp's on both arm day and a few on chest day aswell, I find i'm getting great gains lately from them, the db's really help me isolate the triceps a little better than barbells...
    just to add, my elbows flare up at times from barbell tri work, so on these occasions switching to db varieties above helped ease the pain greatly.

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There's always pushups. I've had persistent elbow and shoulder problems but find that pushups don't bother me much as long as I get a good warm-up first.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Sometimes a simple change of hand position, or arc of travel will eliminate pain. Try Tate Presses. If you've never done these, as always with a new exercise, start light.

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    This is my second favorite tricep exercise, after dips:

If the dip hand position doesn't give you pain, then try these. Same hand position, and will give you an awesome pump. Plus overhead presses activate both ends of the triceps, which is a 2 joint muscle group. Lying skullcrushers only extend the elbow insertion end of the muscle.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

â–º â–º â–ºDirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts â—„ â—„ â—„ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    This is my second favorite tricep exercise, after dips:
    You should be able to do something very similar on a cable machine with a low pully.

Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also have bad elbows but find that any movement with palms facing works. Pushdowns with a rope. kickbacks. extensions with a triceps bar, db extensions, etc. Play around with movements and see what works. Most of the suggestions made here seem to hve palms facing I've noticed. That Tate Press looks pretty good.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Josann View Post
    Play around with movements and see what works.

^^^^This.

To add to what I posted earlier, many times, a simple change in hand position, or body position (such as a slight change in bench angle, or leaning forward slightly at the waist if standing) can change a painful (and unusable) exercise into a good one for you.

If you're relatively new to training, such slight changes may seem inconsequential, but they're not. It does, however, often take time and effort to search out a solution to a problem. One is almost always there though, if you look for it long enough.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I find that using dumbells is easier on the elbows. I like to do a skullcrusher type of movement on a 30 degree or so incline bench. It is similar in motion to a dumbell curl where you supinate the hands (turn them) but in reverse. At the bottom when the dumbells are close to your head the palms are facing your face and as you go up you rotate the hand so that at the finish the palms are facing away from you.

There are a multitude of exercises to choose from but hopefully you can find things that are effective without aggravating your injury.

Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by shamardal View Post
    I find Dumbbell close grip bench presses very good for triceps, do them strict with elbows brought down very close to sides of waist and there should be no pain in elbows from doing this. Doing them on a slight decline makes them hit the triceps even better.

Just to add, do them with a hammer style grip also..
    Close grip bench press is my favorite mass builder. Another movement that does not hurt my elbows is push downs on the assisted pull up machine. That is, if you have this machine.

If this were easy, everyone would do it!

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Cgb6810 View Post
    Close grip bench press is my favorite mass builder. Another movement that does not hurt my elbows is push downs on the assisted pull up machine. That is, if you have this machine.

is that you?

Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cgb6810 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tmonkey View Post
    is that you?
    That is me.
    If this were easy, everyone would do it!

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i'll chime in with straight arm pulldowns. imo, the tricep long head is tough to isolate, and this exercise hits it exclusively (with some lat assistance). this will take elbow movement out of the equation, so that might be up your alley.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    One of my favorites...
    The reverse bench dip

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...tBenchDip.html
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm going to second close grip bench. I also like kickbacks and skull crusher stuff with dumbbells laying on a bench (like overhead ones, but you're laying down).

Normal bb crushers wreak havoc on my elbows as well, so I've had to go away from them. Mix it up for best results!

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

That is me.
    I was going to rep you but it said i need to spread some around first ha

plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000)

I like those..........and your right.......peeps that have elbow problems can normally do these with little to no pain.......

Great suggestion

By the way.......it's obvious that you have paid your dues.......good job!!

plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    One of my favorites...
    The reverse bench dip

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...tBenchDip.html
    Yet another great suggestion by another person thats paid their dues.........

Looking good there natty........reps on recharge......

sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000) sydneyelvis is just really nice. (+1000)
    As an arthritis sufferrer i have problems with all my joints especially elbows and shoulders so i have had to come up with variations to traditional movements that still build mass. I like lying on my side (say right side) on a bench with a dumbell (in my left hand) elbow pointed at the ceiling and raising the dumbell upwards beyond the elbow slowly then down slowly towards my head. Use really light weight at first to master the biomechanics of the exercise. I find i get a great pump without stressing my elbows at all.

Finishing up my oatmeal and going to try some of these today.

Will see if the palms facing methods get me away from the pain-zone.

shoulders and triceps in 10min

Triceps bar and dumbbell skull crushers still hurt.

Close Grip Bench was no pain....didn't try declined though, is that much better,

I want to try the assisted pull up machine method, someone else was actually doing that when I started, but I tried other exercises first.

So far Dips and the close grip bench press will be 2 exercises, I want one more (I do 3 sets of each 10/8/6).

Was able to do:

Dips: BW+25 x 13, BW+25 x 10, BW+45 x 5
    Close grip BP: 85 x 16, 105 x 11, 125 x 8.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i'm telling you man, straight arm pull downs. takes the elbows out of the equation completely, and nothing will fry the tricep long head as much.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    i'm telling you man, straight arm pull downs. takes the elbows out of the equation completely, and nothing will fry the tricep long head as much.
    That's mainly a lat movement? I've certainly never done that for my triceps?

http://www.criticalbench.com/exercis...m-pulldown.htm
    Last edited by Old-Time-Lifter; 03-29-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Was friends with Methuselah

nope. while i agree there is some lat recruitment at the top of the move (sort of like a pullover), from a bit over the 90 degree mark down to the sides, it hits the long head of the triceps exclusively.

and as the op mentioned elbow tendinitis, this move takes it out of the equation completely.

as with many exercises, there is some overlap in muscle groups. if someone wanted to take lats completely out of the equation as well, the remedy would be simply to do the bottom half of the move. light weights, higher reps to start, and you'll see what i'm talking about.
    Last edited by boathead; 03-29-2010 at 03:15 PM.

ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Close grip bench?

J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If dips are pain free, try some chair dips with your feet/heels on a bench... do 15-20, then have someone put a plate on your abs.. 20 more... another plate to failure...

You can try them at different arm widths to target different areas of the muscle

Those things CRUSH my triceps!
    Jeff

"Over 40 Transformation Of The Week February 2010"
    www.bodybuilding.com/fun/over-40-transformation-jeff-hodges.htm

off to the gym (on vacation this week)

Going to do:

Dips
    Close grip Bench press

and try:

tricep pushdowns on the assisted pullup machine.

Need to stretch my shoulders now, getting those tendon pops at times lifting my arms parallel to the floor and out to the side

Can't really complain too much being only 8 weeks back after 4 years doing nothing...my own fault.