gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gwilacuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

weightlifting belts good or bad

i've heard that not wearing a belt during weightlifting exercises that stress your lower back will make your lower back stronger. however i get alot of lower back pain, and i always use good form. should i use a belt?

Farts when he squats HateYourFace's Avatar
    HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HateYourFace is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by gwilacuz View Post
    i've heard that not wearing a belt during weightlifting exercises that stress your lower back will make your lower back stronger. however i get alot of lower back pain, and i always use good form. should i use a belt?
    For your heaviest sets I would, other than that keep it off.

Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salad_Dodger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    don't really use them that much, but if i'm maxing on squats or deads then i'll use them.
    "Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

-Rocky Balboa

cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cheguevarac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HateYourFace View Post
    Originally Posted by Salad_Dodger View Post
    don't really use them that much, but if i'm maxing on squats or deads then i'll use them.
    i usually use it on my heaviest sets, just like it was mentioned. it helps me lift heavier weights and also i feel much more stable and solid.
    My website:
    http://t-nutrition.blogspot.com/

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^^

Over-use of lower back support isn't recommended.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100)
    F**k, yes! I didn't have a belt when I was deadlifting 275lbs and it fooked me up. I think I'll buy one this week.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thats actually my view these days too^^ well said, simple but to the point.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I figure it's better than starting a whole new one...

I am having a LOT of trouble getting my Squat up to where it used to be 4 years ago. I can only Squat 80kgs for 8 reps, when I was 17 I was doing over 100. I'm cutting atm so that may have something to do with it, but my Deadlifts and Bench have continued to rise and are up to 130kgs and 80kgs respectively. So I am actually Benching what I Squat, which I am disgusted with.

Would wearing a belt help me get my Squat up quicker? Or should I just wait until I start bulking and see how I do?

I always thought belts and straps weren't needed until you started lifting REALLY heavy (like twice your bodyweight), and 80kg Squats at a bodyweight of 70kgs doesn't seem that heavy to me at all.

Thanks.
    It's being a part of the Red, White and Green that makes me a Rooting Machine. And when you feel my mighty Stallion, you will know you have been with a true Italian. :D

Edit Dec 2009: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I was gay when I was 15.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    BadWog,

brother a belt wont help you get your lifts up, some cases have shown lifters increase lifts by 10lbs or so but nothing major..

To get your lifts up eat more and gradually put on the weight, lift regularly and try to increase sets for bench and/ or squats or even better yet weight on the bar even if its only 2.5 kg..
    over time it adds up..

I was benching 80 for 10 times not long ago, then put 85kg on the bar for 8 times then some days through on 95kg for 3 times, now im focusing on strength and doing 105-107kg for 2-3 reps which is heavy but its paying off...

Now im doing 92-93kg 10 times.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use them...for bicep curls and chins.

Kiknskreem wrote a very good thread on the hows and whys of using belts; have a look. For me, personally, I don't use a belt until my heaviest set(s)--and even then at times I won't. While it does feel cool to wear one while squatting and deading and pressing, some guys tend to think that using a belt will keep them from injuring themselves. Well, if you use poor form, a belt won't save you. So if you feel you need it, save it for the really heavy (relatively speaking) stuff and don't futz with your form. My two yen...
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

-BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -BodySculptor- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Belts take some strain away from your overall core muscles which is good when going really heavy (so you don't kill your back the next day) but bad if you want to lift for adequate strengthening reps and maintain a strong core.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by -BodySculptor- View Post
    Belts take some strain away from your overall core muscles .
    i disagree with this. the great thing about using a belt is a thing called proprioception...when you put the belt on, your body instinctively pushes its muscles against it....recruiting the very core muscles needed to safely do the lift.

i personally think that use of a belt can be a nice learning tool...you learn how to tighten the necessary core muscles. then, of course, don't overuse the belt...take what you have learned and apply it without it.

Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex2010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    im not disagreeing with anyone here, best advice is to use it on your heavy sets imo.

but for me, i used to get some small pains in my lower back ever since i hit 315lb, i just kept going though without a belt. overtime it went away, and now im at 335lb 5RM and no pain at all, if it ever comes back though i will use one for sure, dont want to risk injury.
    AITG ALPHA MALES

ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I believe there is a sticky already devoted to the topic of belts. The issue is not cut and dried, there is tons of disagreement. IMO you don't ever really need a belt until at least a year into your training. I have never used a belt as I am trying to build up my core strength and stabilizers without assistance. My view though is that its not a big deal if someone chooses to use a belt if they are lifting heavy( fewer than say 6 reps). I guess you are better off safe than sorry, but its really a judgement call, so I would read through the thread that already exists and make your own decision.

Link to Sticky: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=108908741