Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Who tamed running?

Take a child to an open space and watch what they do. In fact, do the same with a dog. Dogs and children don’t think about injuries or how sweaty they will get, or how tired, or that they might get a stitch. When let loose in an open space, kids and dogs without fail do the same thing. Run.

We’re not talking tame running (called jogging). They go as fast as they possibly can. They don’t even seem to pick a direction, they just go and go at full speed until they can’t. At which point they fall over (kids) or sniff something (dogs). Once they are tired of this, they pick another seemingly random direction, and go full speed again.

If they see something they stop and look at it without concerning themselves with split times and pausing heart rate monitors. If they see a trail that looks interesting, they go down it. Not knowing where it goes does not mean “I’ll look it up on google maps next week and calculate whether my per km pace will get it done within a few split seconds of my allotted time before I have to get back to my schedule.” It means adventure. Discovery. Fun.

When did running become so mundane, so boring. A chore?

Maybe it was in the 70’s when jogging became a craze. Maybe it was when we decided it was too dangerous (or embarrassing) to run outside, so we built a machine for it.

Unleash your inner child. Your inner adventurer. Find a path or fire trail and run down it. Stop when you are tired. Walk when you have to. Start running again when you feel like it. If it is dark: perfect. If it is raining: even better. If there is a puddle in your way, don’t tip toe around it – smash through it. Get muddy – get dirty. Just run, explore, discover.

As you discover nature, you will discover parts of yourself. The parts that have been suppressed by deadlines and targets. The part that makes you dance, sing or fart when you are alone. The part that dreams of having superpowers. The part that skips. The part that pulls faces in the mirror. The part that loves swimming. The part that buys gifts for kids that you actually want to play with.

Let it out. Let it be free. Let YOU be free.

Be inspirational.
    Apparently, I'm the author of 2 Australian Bestselling books: "NEVER DIET AGAIN" and "FITlosophy 1"
    Git yo' sum free chapters here: http://sharnyandjulius.com/fitlosophy-1-free-chapters/

Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pronobis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JuliusJ View Post
    Take a child to an open space and watch what they do. In fact, do the same with a dog. Dogs and children don’t think about injuries or how sweaty they will get, or how tired, or that they might get a stitch. When let loose in an open space, kids and dogs without fail do the same thing. Run.

We’re not talking tame running (called jogging). They go as fast as they possibly can. They don’t even seem to pick a direction, they just go and go at full speed until they can’t. At which point they fall over (kids) or sniff something (dogs). Once they are tired of this, they pick another seemingly random direction, and go full speed again.

If they see something they stop and look at it without concerning themselves with split times and pausing heart rate monitors. If they see a trail that looks interesting, they go down it. Not knowing where it goes does not mean “I’ll look it up on google maps next week and calculate whether my per km pace will get it done within a few split seconds of my allotted time before I have to get back to my schedule.” It means adventure. Discovery. Fun.

Maybe it was in the 70’s when jogging became a craze. Maybe it was when we decided it was too dangerous (or embarrassing) to run outside, so we built a machine for it.

Unleash your inner child. Your inner adventurer. Find a path or fire trail and run down it. Stop when you are tired. Walk when you have to. Start running again when you feel like it. If it is dark: perfect. If it is raining: even better. If there is a puddle in your way, don’t tip toe around it – smash through it. Get muddy – get dirty. Just run, explore, discover.

As you discover nature, you will discover parts of yourself. The parts that have been suppressed by deadlines and targets. The part that makes you dance, sing or fart when you are alone. The part that dreams of having superpowers. The part that skips. The part that pulls faces in the mirror. The part that loves swimming. The part that buys gifts for kids that you actually want to play with.

Be inspirational.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEeqHj3Nj2c

Like this? lol.

I do agree I find it rather lame when I see people on the treadmills for 30 minutes to an hour when they could have a better time outside. (Minus cold weather). I cant stand running to be honest, I'd rather ride my bike/Kayak/Surf/Swim. The only time I use the treadmill or eliptical is a 5-10 minute warmup before lifting.
    "Just lift it"

Staying consistent F'n works

JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuliusJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=Pronobis;466832021]

Like this? lol.

[QUOTE]

amazing skill - and I bet those boys are having the time of their lives, and are stronger and fitter than most of us!

Why does cardio have to be seen as so damn boring?
    Apparently, I'm the author of 2 Australian Bestselling books: "NEVER DIET AGAIN" and "FITlosophy 1"
    Git yo' sum free chapters here: http://sharnyandjulius.com/fitlosophy-1-free-chapters/

Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nakket will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I know what you mean. At the YMCA I work at I watch little kids, and all they do is like to run around (though we discourage it due to the small space and high volume of kids). It's weird because you've got the ages 3-8/9 kids running around, playing, and getting exercise, but then when it comes to ages 10+ they just sit around for the most part.

I've found the best cardio to be pick up games or rec sports of anything you can get into...volleyball, basketball, hockey, ultimate frisbee etc.
    The Big 3
    Bench: 225 x 1
    Deadlift: 355x 2
    Squat: 315 x 1

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's easy to run around everywhere when you weigh <75 lbs.

It's hard to run around everywhere when you weigh >150 lbs.

That's why kids run around often and adults don't.

Originally Posted by Al Shades View Post

True, true - but why?

Does running become difficult because you stop doing it?

If kids never stopped running when they became "too cool", then running at any weight would be easy.

But what is difficult, and what is easy? I think it is all relative to your perception. For example:

Tell a man in a wheelchair how difficult running is...

johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tell a man in a wheelchair how difficult running is...
    strong words will think about that the next time its raining or i dont want to run.

kids jump in to puddles especially if u tell them not to.
    Dont have negative thoughts. Remember your mantra.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    very nice missive. much food for thought, as i sit here not running, random or otherwise.

Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Al Shades View Post

Thats a matter of opinion. Adults have have to work. So many adults can't be botherd to run around and have fun where as kids have to go to school and do homework. This means they generally have more time on their hands.

I'm an adult and I love running. I run marathons, do triathlons and other sports on top of work. I may be a personal trainer but that doesn't mean I have more time to exercise. I do it because I enjoy it. Not everyone enjoys exercise. Many people find the thought of lifting a bar bell or doing a 10k run daunting.

jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Pronobis View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEeqHj3Nj2c

Like this? lol.

I do agree I find it rather lame when I see people on the treadmills for 30 minutes to an hour when they could have a better time outside. (Minus cold weather). I cant stand running to be honest, I'd rather ride my bike/Kayak/Surf/Swim. The only time I use the treadmill or eliptical is a 5-10 minute warmup before lifting.
    If you're not a competitive bodybuilder, then yeah I can see where you're coming from, but if you have a target heart rate, then having a set mph and incline helps tremendously, and so you burn roughly the same calories per cardio session.
    www.naturalbodybuildingevents.com --------- www.naturalbodybuildingradio.com
    www.biolayne.com -------- www.3dmusclejourney.com

"I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in a maze of mediocrity. I won't give up shut up, let up, or slow up"

"In preparing elite training programs we will not underestimate the adaptive abilities of the human body"

Team Norton 2010

I went for a run on sunday - 18km through the rainforest in the hills behind where I live in Australia. I left at 4am, so ran most of it in the dark, in the rain with a headlamp on. It is breeding season for snakes, so they are quite aggressive right now - but I didn't even see one, so no amazing story there!

I did, however come back covered in leeches and found out the hard way that if you pull them off they leave their "teeth" in you. My ankles are swollen up like footballs, and i'm itching like a bankok ladyboy.

How's that for wild running - beat that!

Dooeug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love running.

kyle866 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kyle866 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kyle866 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kyle866 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kyle866 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kyle866 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kyle866 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Be inspirational.

nice

newtonoid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The OP sounds like a commercial for vibrams FiveFingers.

rei.com/product/798242
    Last edited by newtonoid; 04-05-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Originally Posted by newtonoid View Post
    The OP sounds like a commercial for vibrams FiveFingers.

rei.com/product/798242
    Thanks man, maybe I should hit them up for a sponsorship deal!

jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I dont the OP has any children or a dog for that matter.

Originally Posted by jdelarod View Post
    I dont the OP has any children or a dog for that matter.
    a 13 year old son and a newborn..
    4 young nephews and 2 neices - all under 8 years.
    2 mini foxies

sounds like you use your kid(s) or dog(s) as an excuse. Are you going to blame them all your life, or be in control?

Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Heck yeah, I used to run around barefoot all the time catching reptiles mostly, then go out and ride my bike everywhere. Well, I stopped playing outside and played more video games and hated to get all sweaty. Now I ride my bike to work and can't wait to hit the trails near end of the month. Also ultimate frisbee starting up this weekend and other sports!

Originally Posted by Zentenk View Post
    Heck yeah, I used to run around barefoot all the time catching reptiles mostly, then go out and ride my bike everywhere. Well, I stopped playing outside and played more video games and hated to get all sweaty. Now I ride my bike to work and can't wait to hit the trails near end of the month. Also ultimate frisbee starting up this weekend and other sports!
    That's f'n awesome. I just went for a run through the trails around my house and nearly stood on a snake. Too scared to catch it though - not sure what will kill you in Aussie!

Funny how my heart rate monitor shows a spike, but my GPS shows that I stopped moving...

tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsheckler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This reminds me of the episode of "Friends" where Lisa Kudrow is running around flailing her arms like a tard.

Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You ever get that urge to just sprint or run? Hell, one night walking home from the chow hall with some friends someone said something about racing to the sign up ahead... hmm. 3 of us guys take off and it is a good 40 yards on FULL stomachs, bad decision haha but it was fun!

Only problem on a normal day when you are walking down the road, if you just start running it feels a bit embarrasing. "What the hell is that clown running for?" Well, that is why I love to ride my bike, I go as fast as I can and no one would think anything different. When it is raining you get to run and it is accepted. I don't know... what is it that makes it wrong to run? Do they think you did something bad I guess? I'm saying if you are in normal clothing and not going for a jog.

gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000) gregysuper is just really nice. (+1000)
    the people that say that people who run are wierd, usually are jealous cuz they fat/unfit and they cant run for more than a minute.

Originally Posted by Zentenk View Post
    You ever get that urge to just sprint or run? Hell, one night walking home from the chow hall with some friends someone said something about racing to the sign up ahead... hmm. 3 of us guys take off and it is a good 40 yards on FULL stomachs, bad decision haha but it was fun!

Only problem on a normal day when you are walking down the road, if you just start running it feels a bit embarrasing. "What the hell is that clown running for?" Well, that is why I love to ride my bike, I go as fast as I can and no one would think anything different. When it is raining you get to run and it is accepted. I don't know... what is it that makes it wrong to run? Do they think you did something bad I guess? I'm saying if you are in normal clothing and not going for a jog.
    That's awesome. You should just do it. Go flat out in a full business suit with a briefcase, full speed. Hopefully a few cops think you are running from something and start chasing you - that would add some more fun. In fact, stand in front of a couple for a little while looking them in the faces, and then take off. See if they chase.

Siren_of_Titan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gregysuper View Post
    the people that say that people who run are wierd, usually are jealous cuz they fat/unfit and they cant run for more than a minute.
    There's some runner-hate out there, yeah. I get crap from my coworker all the time for running and enjoying it. He says that people who run are skeletal and unhealthy...which is ridiculous, especially if you take a look at someone like Dean Karnazes...dude is ripped. The only people who hate on running (I used to be one) are people who "can't," and have no intention of trying.

Pick up, put down, repeat Menark's Avatar
    Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Menark is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I enjoy running but I guess the thing is that when your on a treadmil when you get tired you can just step off and you dont need to do any more but when your out you still have to make it back to where you started.

Registered User islabucasgrande's Avatar
    islabucasgrande has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks. It is incumbent upon us to unleash the child lurking within us and just sweat our worries out. There is a wide grandstand for us to run towards becoming fit. It only asks us to put our first foot forwards and begin the task of running like a child.

Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zuggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Running is the only state of mind where I truly feel relaxed, nothing but me, my feet and the ground..
    I'm from the Land of Blood and Honey

rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100) rocking_g_real is not very well liked. (-100)
    Yo. I'm an absolutely committed runner. I love it.

BUT I think we have to be careful of this mantra to become child-like. I know my point here might not the trendy thing to say... we're all told to release our inner child, blah blah blah. I absolutely think the OPPOSITE needs to happen. We need to understand that we don't LOSE anything by becoming adult & dealing with more responsibility. That's what's called the civilizing process. I'm glad we have this progression. It allows us to approach things like fitness with more knowledge, more self-discipline, more awareness of the scientific basis for our activity & progression.

To put the Child Runner analogy another way, have you ever tried to get a child or a dog to run a 5k or a 10k? What do they do? They run for a little bit, "at which point they fall over (kids) or sniff something (dogs). Once they are tired of this, they pick another seemingly random direction, and go full speed again."

Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    great post! i love running with my dog through the woods near my house. nothing like it.

jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jdavis6618 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Right on man

Be inspirational.
    This is probably the best post I have seen on this entire website. I run a lot and I admit, it's easy to get sucked into trying to set new records and taking all the fun/adventure out of it. Thanks for a great post.
    "The human body was never designed for a sedentary lifestyle, it was created to hunt saber tooth tigers and walk 40 miles a day."

Big dick swingin, 4 plate pullin, motherf[_]cker.

★★Traditional Wet Shaving Crew ★★