mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Texas Trainers, have you heard of PFTA?

I am looking at certifications and programs for becoming a personal trainer. I came across a school called PFTA Personal Training School. It has a few locations in Texas (Dallas, Austin, Houston...) I was wondering if anyone here is a graduate from there or has even heard of it. I am looking for opinions on this school in terms of its credibility within the industry. I like that it is an actual school that you attend and it is longer than one week. I just want to make sure it will carry some weight and help me get a job after I'm done.

Thanks for the help.
    "There's something about a heavy weight that makes a body not want to get under it. Part of the fun of weightlifting is rousing one's spirit and getting under a heavy weight in spite of one's more sensible survival instincts." -Stenn

"Conditioning prepares you for battle. Cardio makes you really good at running slowly away." -Chris Shugart.

TEAM AMAZON - Sisterhood of Iron

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=571188111#post571188111

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've never heard of it and I've been training in TX since 2003.

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's not accredited by any recognized organization. Another worthless cert...

Go with a recognized cert. Call around to prospective gyms you hope to work at and ask what certs they accept. Most have a list. Choose one from the list.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Lasharm View Post

Go with a recognized cert. Call around to prospective gyms you hope to work at and ask what certs they accept. Most have a list. Choose one from the list.
    Thanks. I am familiar with all the reputable certs, hence why I was asking about this particular school. I want a hands-on "school" if possible which is the appeal with the program I listed. I won't choose hands-on over credibility, however.
    "There's something about a heavy weight that makes a body not want to get under it. Part of the fun of weightlifting is rousing one's spirit and getting under a heavy weight in spite of one's more sensible survival instincts." -Stenn

"Conditioning prepares you for battle. Cardio makes you really good at running slowly away." -Chris Shugart.

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=571188111#post571188111

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mmater View Post
    Thanks. I am familiar with all the reputable certs, hence why I was asking about this particular school. I want a hands-on "school" if possible which is the appeal with the program I listed. I won't choose hands-on over credibility, however.
    Most reputable certs offer workshops to attend before and after getting the cert. I recommend attending one of those.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Are you near the Cooper Institute? They're pretty reputable and have a lot of hands-on stuff.

Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
    Are you near the Cooper Institute? They're pretty reputable and have a lot of hands-on stuff.
    Unfortunately, at the current moment the closest things I am near are cotton fields. I live in Lubbock, TX right now. I would not be opposed to moving, and will most likely move when I line my ducks up in a row. I have looked into Cooper Institute, their program is a week long, plus my trainer now is certified with them.

What about the National Personal Training Institute? Anyone ever heard of them?

txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    if ur looking for a hands on type learning environment i would recommend looking into ATI here in TX. i dont know where they have schools at or even the cost, but ive worked with a PT that graduated from there and he was pretty knowledgeable and the hands on teaching gave him alot of experience!
    i "think" the cert givin there is an NASM cert.

cooper institute is another good one but ive never met or worked with any grad from there, so...

what ever you do make sure ur cert will be recognized and be useful if you plan on working for a company at any time.
    -------------------------------www.Texas-AP.com--------------------------------------
    --------------------- join us on face book: txapn and txapn stefan ---------------------
    --------------------- HOWS THIS GAME GOING TO REMEMBER YOU? ---------------------

Originally Posted by txapn View Post
    if ur looking for a hands on type learning environment i would recommend looking into ATI here in TX. i dont know where they have schools at or even the cost, but ive worked with a PT that graduated from there and he was pretty knowledgeable and the hands on teaching gave him alot of experience!
    i "think" the cert givin there is an NASM cert.

cooper institute is another good one but ive never met or worked with any grad from there, so...

what ever you do make sure ur cert will be recognized and be useful if you plan on working for a company at any time.
    Thanks for the info on ATI, I will look into it. It looks like that might fit very well with my GI bill requirements. Thanks again.

txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ive heard some good things about it, now i havnt looked deep into bc im already certed by NASM (in a few certs) but the experience ive had with one of the grads was very impressive. and i think you should be able to get employed fairly easy with that in ur background and experience.

good luck!
    -------------------------------www.Texas-AP.com--------------------------------------
    --------------------- join us on face book: txapn and txapn stefan ---------------------
    --------------------- HOWS THIS GAME GOING TO REMEMBER YOU? ---------------------

jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a couple friends that went to the PFTA school here in Round Rock (north of Austin). They both highly recommend the PFTA program. I am also considering the school. It is a bit pricey, but from what they have told me about it, it is well worth it. I would suggest contacting the school and checking it out at least. The two friends are very knowledgeable and do rather well for themselves.
    Trying to go from keg to 6 pack!!!
    June 7, 2009 242 lbs
    March 30, 2010 179 lbs

Originally Posted by jhbrotherton1 View Post
    I have a couple friends that went to the PFTA school here in Round Rock (north of Austin). They both highly recommend the PFTA program. I am also considering the school. It is a bit pricey, but from what they have told me about it, it is well worth it. I would suggest contacting the school and checking it out at least. The two friends are very knowledgeable and do rather well for themselves.
    Thanks for the info. Although it may result in a rather unknown cert., if the school is any good at preparing you to be a trainer, suffice it to say it should prepare you for the exams of the well-known certs. Ultimately, I have to consider what the GI bill will pay for and go from there, because as you mentioned it is a bit pricey.

congrats on the weight loss btw.

I just spoke with the owner of PFTA and flat out asked him if the certification given by his school carries any weight outside of the local area. He said that he has trainers employed all over the country and a couple outside the US, and that while the gyms outside of Texas may not recognize PFTA as well as say NASM or NSCA or ACSM, once the gym managers see the curriculum taught during the school they are more than happy to have a PFTA trainer on board.

Additionally, I asked if the school was good then I should be able to pass any of the other certs like NASM. His response: "If you take another cert within 30 days of graduating PFTA and pass first time, we will reimburse you 100% of the cost of taking that additional cert.

Sounds like a winner to me.

I also looked into ATI, and their school is 3 times as expensive as PFTA and they are just like any other career college, and I have worked at one as an admissions rep. Needless to say, I was not very fond of my phone call with them. Too pushy to get me to enroll today. Not saying the Personal Training program is bad, just be prepared to fend off the hounds in the admissions department.

EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50) EK_JOE will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    NASM or ACSM.
    these will never fail you.
    Oatmeal Raisin Asians

wej has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I graduated from this school in Round Rock before the other locations were opened and was a classmate of current PFTA instructors. it is not easy. you have to study. with it you get hands on and classroom training, networking, a PFTA certification and a national certification. This school is partnered with NSCA.

I am looking at certifications and programs for becoming a personal trainer. I came across a school called PFTA Personal Training School. It has a few locations in Texas (Dallas, Austin, Houston...) I was wondering if anyone here is a graduate from there or has even heard of it. I am looking for opinions on this school in terms of its credibility within the industry. I like that it is an actual school that you attend and it is longer than one week. I just want to make sure it will carry some weight and help me get a job after I'm done.

Thanks for the help.

wej has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    while still enrolled I tool the NASM exam with out studying and passed easy. NASM is a joke compared to PFTA.

NeoGeoFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Check their website out at www dot pftaschools dot com

I think they're credible if you're doing something in Texas

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Lasharm View Post

There are no 'recognized' organizations that provide accreditation to personal trainer credential providers, unless your point is they are recognized by those organizations who pay an 'accreditation' fee (e.g. NCCA).
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Jacie316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What did you go for?

Thanks for the info. Although it may result in a rather unknown cert., if the school is any good at preparing you to be a trainer, suffice it to say it should prepare you for the exams of the well-known certs. Ultimately, I have to consider what the GI bill will pay for and go from there, because as you mentioned it is a bit pricey.

congrats on the weight loss btw.
    Hey! curious what program you end up going with? I'm not looking into all of these ones as well.