kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I doing squats wrong?

Whenever I do squats, I feel the 'burn' in my quads...not my butt at all. The next day, my quads still feel a little sore, but nothing in my butt. What am I doing wrong? :/

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kdot28 View Post
    Whenever I do squats, I feel the 'burn' in my quads...not my butt at all. The next day, my quads still feel a little sore, but nothing in my butt. What am I doing wrong? :/
    Depending on your form, you can emphasize different areas of your legs with squats.

To feel it more in your butt:
    • spread your feet a bit wider and point your toes out slightly
    • get as deep as you can without your back rounding
    • really squeeze with your butt as you come up.

You can also look on youtube for videos of sumo squats or goblet squats

Edit: If you're really concerned about form and want specific feed back, the best way is to get a video and post it here for comments.
    -

megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50) megera will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by medjen View Post
    Depending on your form, you can emphasize different areas of your legs with squats.

Edit: If you're really concerned about form and want specific feed back, the best way is to get a video and post it here for comments.
    ^^^ This

also, u can alternate front sguat, back squat, thats work your leg muscles differently
    u definatley will feel it more in the glutes and hammies when u do a front squat because u less leaning forward and apply less pressure on your quads

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Zercher squats have really helped me get comfortable with the ROM. My regular squats have really improved because of them.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you haven't had someone teach you to squat and you're only learning from books and magazines, you're probably doing it wrong. Most do.

AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here is a link to Boris Backmann. He goes over a lot of the problems that go along with squatting.

He has several up on youtube and you can link to them from this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI
    http://maximumfitnessconsulting.com
    https://www.instagram.com/noelmaxfit/
    http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=1298381725#!/MaximumFitnessConsulting

akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree, definitely have someone knowledgeable show you the proper form and foot placement. You want to get as low as possible without compensating and breaking good posture to ensure glute recruitment. Mark Rippetoe is another great advisor on the squat, so check out some of his books, website and DVD's for more guidance. If you are really trying to hit the glute/hamstring tie-in area, try walking barbell lunges with a long stride (no replacement for squats, but something to do in addition). They have really helped me with the mind-muscle connection to the glutes.
    NASM CPT, NFPT Master Trainer, Psychology Major
    www.figarellesfitness.com
    www.********.com/figarellesfitness
    https://twitter.com/stephfigarelle

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by akbodybuilder View Post
    I agree, definitely have someone knowledgeable show you the proper form and foot placement. You want to get as low as possible without compensating and breaking good posture to ensure glute recruitment. Mark Rippetoe is another great advisor on the squat, so check out some of his books, website and DVD's for more guidance. If you are really trying to hit the glute/hamstring tie-in area, try walking barbell lunges with a long stride (no replacement for squats, but something to do in addition). They have really helped me with the mind-muscle connection to the glutes.

^^^^This

After i read Starting Strength my squat totally changed and i started to feel it in my glutes and hamstrongs much more.

Squats tend to be more focused on the hamstring area traditionally, but if done in specific ways it can be a great glute workout.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Have you read the sticky "Squat and Deadlift therapy"? Lots of good links and info there.
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and links. I think what I was doing is leaning forward and putting pressure on the front of my foot, rather than in the heels. I wasn't really sticking by butt out in the right way...it wasn't like I was about to sit down on a chair, if you know what I mean. Definitely feeling the burn more in my butt now. Thanks!

KJ13.PBQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by medjen View Post

This..
    Make sure your consciously contracting your glutes. Dnt just go thru the movement. Feel the muscles squeeze. I find that if I dnt make that "mind/muscle connection" with the glutes when I squat then I'll just end up hitting the quads more than nething else.
    Canadians Do It Betr.