Thread: Frustrated

rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rileybriggs will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Frustrated

I am a 75kg 20 year old guy, and ive been training for a few years on and off, but seriously training for the last 9 months. (Though i got real sick on an overseas holiday and lost 5 kilos)

My lifts are 75kgx6x4 for bench, 110x3x5 for deads and 95x7x3 for squats (smith machine, my gym doesnt have squat or power rack, have to take barbell off bench press to deadlift). Better than the average joe chmoe but no where near where I want to be at.

I have at least 15% body fat, which id like to cut down to 8%, as I have psuedogyno, which makes me pretty self concious, but its coming into the cold season in aus so that isnt a huge concern just yet.

I have tried madcows and wasnt a huge fan, my lifts went up slowly, but i was putting on no size.

Im looking to get to 85kg at 7%bf.

Should I be looking at a split training program? or a 3 day a week full body workout? or a 4 day upper-lower body split?

I am super frustrated that I cant get past 75kgs, no matter what I eat, I just seem to gain fat and lose muscle, I dont get it. I bust my ass every time in the gym. After last leg day i puked in the toilets after my last set of squats (knocked it up to 110kgx5). After seeing photos of my dad at my age, he was smaller than me, but he was working out for a few years, but hit 24 and got jacked (around 100kgs 10%bf in a year and a half) so im thinking it could be genetic?

Any recomendations?/ explanations why im not gaining size?
    Last edited by rileybriggs; 03-11-2010 at 05:49 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You say you can't get past 75kg - but that you gain fat and lose muscle. What makes you think that is happening? Are you getting progressively weaker?

What do you eat in a typical day? Calories and grams of protein?

braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What does your diet and routine look like?

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rileybriggs View Post
    I am a 75kg 20 year old guy, and ive been training for a few years on and off, but seriously training for the last 9 months. (Though i got real sick on an overseas holiday and lost 5 kilos)

My lifts are 75kgx6x4 for bench, 110x3x5 for deads and 95x7x3 for squats (smith machine, my gym doesnt have squat or power rack, have to take barbell off bench press to deadlift). Better than the average joe chmoe but no where near where I want to be at.

I have at least 15% body fat, which id like to cut down to 8%, as I have psuedogyno, which makes me pretty self concious, but its coming into the cold season in aus so that isnt a huge concern just yet.

I have tried madcows and wasnt a huge fan, my lifts went up slowly, but i was putting on no size.

Im looking to get to 85kg at 7%bf.

Should I be looking at a split training program? or a 3 day a week full body workout? or a 4 day upper-lower body split?

I am super frustrated that I cant get past 75kgs, no matter what I eat, I just seem to gain fat and lose muscle, I dont get it. I bust my ass every time in the gym. After last leg day i puked in the toilets after my last set of squats (knocked it up to 110kgx5). After seeing photos of my dad at my age, he was smaller than me, but he was working out for a few years, but hit 24 and got jacked (around 100kgs 10%bf in a year and a half) so im thinking it could be genetic?

Any recomendations?/ explanations why im not gaining size?
    Split programs are only for those who literally cannot do one lift after another due to the sheer weight they are lifting. In other words if you are a beginner then do a full body routine.

You are not gaining size because you are either
    A. Not eating enough
    B. Not resting enough
    C. Not lifting enough

Now it wouldn't seem that C is your problem. So which of the other two is it?

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Whether to opt for split training vs a total body split is really more a matter whether you prefer to train 3 vs 4 days per week. If 3, then whole body may be best. If you can and would like to train 4 days/week, then an upper/lower split would be a great option. (However, I usually design these programs such that they back is put with legs to make the two days more even...plus some back stuff overlaps with legs anyway - i.e. deadlifts.)

But since you've been using total body training for a while, I would switch to a split if I were you. This way you can train harder, yet have more recovery cause you'll be training each body part 2 x per week as opposed to 3.

However, with all that being said, I suspect your problem lies more with your diet than your training routine. Just like construction crews need bricks and mortar, your body needs nutrients (and lots of them) to build muscle!

Best,
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

P0rkchop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) P0rkchop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) P0rkchop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) P0rkchop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Dr Clay View Post
    Whether to opt for split training vs a total body split is really more a matter whether you prefer to train 3 vs 4 days per week. If 3, then whole body may be best. If you can and would like to train 4 days/week, then an upper/lower split would be a great option. (However, I usually design these programs such that they back is put with legs to make the two days more even...plus some back stuff overlaps with legs anyway - i.e. deadlifts.)

But since you've been using total body training for a while, I would switch to a split if I were you. This way you can train harder, yet have more recovery cause you'll be training each body part 2 x per week as opposed to 3.

However, with all that being said, I suspect your problem lies more with your diet than your training routine. Just like construction crews need bricks and mortar, your body needs nutrients (and lots of them) to build muscle!

Best,
    I agree. Focus on those compound lifts and it will help you with your strength and size. With a split it will help you put maximum effort in.

Also watch your diet, make sure you are getting enough proteins and such to build the muscle.

I was in a very similar boat to you(similar body weight and height) and my bench has gone from 185*5 to 225*5 in 4 weeks exactly.

Best of luck!