Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    aesthetically displeasing bally18's Avatar
    bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ijericho View Post
    Well, you know your body's capabilities better than I do, I would just suggest you're pushing yourself to the limit...and then some.

PWO:
    Protein Brownie:
    1 scoop whey powder
    about 30g of natural peanut butter
    enough water to make it soupy
    microwave on power 8 for 1:30, stir, then again for 15 secs on power 5 (GREAT FOR CARB CRAVINGS)
    Yeah I'll probably just stick to the guidelines of that workout, I've just never done all that circuit/fullbody workout stuff before so I was curious.

Btw are you having that protein brownie in place of you're protein shake? Doesn't the fat from the PB slow down you're bodies ability to quickly absorb the protein ?

ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Excellent observation about the PWO brownie. I didn't even think about the fats in the peanut butter when I was thinking if anything would be altered by microwaving it. I'll just have to save that treat for some other time. In fact, I'll probably make some very soon...
    You may call it obsession, I call it dedication.

bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000) bally18 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Excellent observation about the PWO brownie. I didn't even think about the fats in the peanut butter when I was thinking if anything would be altered by microwaving it. I'll just have to save that treat for some other time. In fact, I'll probably make some very soon...
    Did you grab that recipe off of Keto Recipes? I saw one for a Protein Brownie there and it looked good. Was it tasty? You ever eat sludge?

ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10) ijericho is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bally18 View Post
    Did you grab that recipe off of Keto Recipes? I saw one for a Protein Brownie there and it looked good. Was it tasty? You ever eat sludge?
    I found the protein brownie from a friend actually. I've browsed the keto recipe boards though, and brownies are all over the place.

Never tried sludge, but I saw it on your meal log. Do you add the water in with the protein powder? The "batter" I had when making one of those brownies today was pretty sludgy.

I found the protein brownie from a friend actually. I've browsed the keto recipe boards though, and brownies are all over the place.

Never tried sludge, but I saw it on your meal log. Do you add the water in with the protein powder? The "batter" I had when making one of those brownies today was pretty sludgy.
    Yeah its pretty easy and helps my cravings a tad for carbs and Ice cream, I used to have it all the time at night when I did a carb cutoff.

I usually just make it like this but feel free to tweak it;

1 scoop whey
    2 tablespoons natty PB

put it in a bowl, add a little water and mix it up.

Throw it in freezer for 5-20 minutes and eat

This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3KRE...rom=PL&index=1

Well, that was an excellent weekend of carbing.

I'm still a little unsure of the appropriate types of carbs to eat, or if it even matters (i've read some studies that it doesn't), but I think I did well.

I didn't keep track of my calories because I was out of town, but I feel like I was probably around 2000-2200 each day.

Also, since I was out of town, I wasn't able to get a gym workout, but I did do a ton of pushups. My biceps and hip flexors are still sore from my workout on Thursday (monster workout, see above), so I must have done something good.

According to the scale at my house, I've lost about 2 pounds total, and that was a weigh in after my carb up, so I would imagine I'm a little bloated. I'll probably weigh in again on Thursday, just to see how it's looking in the middle of ketosis.

I'm back to eating some hard boiled eggs and loving it. How did everyone else do?

Well, that was an excellent weekend of carbing.

I'm still a little unsure of the appropriate types of carbs to eat, or if it even matters (i've read some studies that it doesn't), but I think I did well.

I didn't keep track of my calories because I was out of town, but I feel like I was probably around 2000-2200 each day.

Also, since I was out of town, I wasn't able to get a gym workout, but I did do a ton of pushups. My biceps and hip flexors are still sore from my workout on Thursday (monster workout, see above), so I must have done something good.

According to the scale at my house, I've lost about 2 pounds total, and that was a weigh in after my carb up, so I would imagine I'm a little bloated. I'll probably weigh in again on Thursday, just to see how it's looking in the middle of ketosis.

I'm back to eating some hard boiled eggs and loving it. How did everyone else do?

I was at home until late sunday night and basically with my family its impossible to eat anything like a Keto diet, so I ended up just having a weekend long carb up. I'm not to worried about it though, next weeked will go alot better and cleaner. Besides there was the big Hockey games on friday and last night great time to be canadian

Work's starting to pick up, so I'm getting complacent about updating the log and even tracking my calories as well. I've been eating mostly the same things, so I'm not too worried about calories.

The biggest problem I've had the last couple days is the amount of gym time I've had. It's roughly equivalent to ZERO. I've been doing pushups and little exercises at home to make sure I don't fall off the fast moving wagon, but it's just not the same. I still feel good, time has just been crunched lately, but I'm sure it'll let up soon. I plan on doubling up either today or tomorrow. Hopefully no one is too mad at me!

So I worked about 12 hours yesterday, so that was fun. I was claiming I'm getting too busy to track my foods, but I still feel like I'm getting everything down pretty well. Just to test myself, I logged all the food I ate yesterday just to see how good I actually am:

Meal 1:
    1 egg
    3 slices bacon
    1 slice cheddar

Meal 2:
    1/4 cup almonds

Meal 3:
    Caesar salad
    w/ broccoli

Meal 4:
    Protein Brownie

Meal 5:
    1/4 cup flax seed

PWO shake:
    1 scoop whey

Meal 6:
    1 brat with sauerkraut and hot mustard (both negligible calories)

Totals:
    1,989 calories
    140.8g fat (64%)
    40.8g carbs (8%)
    22g fiber
    134.6g protein (28%)

Am I good or what?

Also, being in the office for so long yesterday, there were plenty of things that made me annoyed, so having all that build up for awhile, please yesterday just being a stressful day in general, I really did a number on the workout.

I had skipped Monday due to time constraints, so I'll probably either double up today or tomorrow and get all my workouts for the week in. I'm not too worried about it because I'm still eating perfectly. Yesterday we had a birthday in the office and there was cake, but I was so steadfast in my cake denial, it was epic. This was excellent reinforcement to my diet, and I'm really pumped about it.

So I worked about 12 hours yesterday, so that was fun. I was claiming I'm getting too busy to track my foods, but I still feel like I'm getting everything down pretty well. Just to test myself, I logged all the food I ate yesterday just to see how good I actually am:

Meal 1:
    1 egg
    3 slices bacon
    1 slice cheddar

Meal 2:
    1/4 cup almonds

Meal 3:
    Caesar salad
    w/ broccoli

Meal 4:
    Protein Brownie

Meal 5:
    1/4 cup flax seed

PWO shake:
    1 scoop whey

Meal 6:
    1 brat with sauerkraut and hot mustard (both negligible calories)

Totals:
    1,989 calories
    140.8g fat (64%)
    40.8g carbs (8%)
    22g fiber
    134.6g protein (28%)

Am I good or what?

Also, being in the office for so long yesterday, there were plenty of things that made me annoyed, so having all that build up for awhile, please yesterday just being a stressful day in general, I really did a number on the workout.

I had skipped Monday due to time constraints, so I'll probably either double up today or tomorrow and get all my workouts for the week in. I'm not too worried about it because I'm still eating perfectly. Yesterday we had a birthday in the office and there was cake, but I was so steadfast in my cake denial, it was epic. This was excellent reinforcement to my diet, and I'm really pumped about it.

glad to hear that you've been keeping up with your diet despite being so busy with work and that your also channeling that frustration of working such long hours into greater intensity in your workouts.

keep it up man!

Wow, last week was insane. It should be much calmer this week, so I'm really looking to kick up my workouts. Unfortunately, I only got to the gym twice last week, then my depletion workout on Saturday morning.

My carb up was fairly clean. I decided to only do a 24 one just for experiment's sake. I ate a ton of blueberries, a veggie burrito, and some sushi and rice from a japanese place. Only bad thing I did was some beers for a friend's birthday party on Saturday night. Was it bad? yes. Do I feel bad about it? Not really.

Planning on increasing both cardio and weightlifting schedules this week and really trying to see some results. Work should allow for this, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Only bad thing I did was some beers for a friend's birthday party on Saturday night. Was it bad? yes. Do I feel bad about it? Not really.
    Ya can't feel bad about having some fun, I mean dieting is a commitment but I'm not gonna sacrifice everything I like to do. I think going out 1 night a week is okay and drinking in moderation is perfectly fine! Enjoy yourself and enjoy the bodies were trying to perfect!

Originally Posted by Wakegrl0021 View Post
    Ya can't feel bad about having some fun, I mean dieting is a commitment but I'm not gonna sacrifice everything I like to do. I think going out 1 night a week is okay and drinking in moderation is perfectly fine! Enjoy yourself and enjoy the bodies were trying to perfect!
    Exactly. I don't see this as a short term goal, it's a long term thing. You can't sacrifice things you enjoy or you'll never stick with it. If you haven't watched the youtube series "I want to look like that guy" (it's a thread towards the top of the keto boards), I'd suggest doing it. His journey is quite interesting.

I'm just looking to be in the bodyfat teens or lower by the time summer rolls around. That gives me about 9 weeks from now, which should be plenty. If I lose a pound of fat a week, that should suffice.

I've been thinking about cutting down on the fat in my diet and adding in more protein. I believe that's part of the anabolic diet and I've heard good things. Is this a typical practice or should I stick with my 65% fat? Or maybe I'll cut down on my calories? Or carb up less often? I only did a 24 hour carb up this weekend, so we'll see how I am energy wise.

There I go again, beastin the macros for the day.

Meal 1:
    2 sausage patties
    2 slices swiss

Meal 2:
    3 hardboiled eggs

Meal 3:
    can of tuna with 2 tbsp mayo

Meal 4:
    Protein Brownie

Meal 5:
    1/4 cup almonds

Meal 6:
    buttery salmon
    2 cups broccoli
    3.5 tbsp ceasar dressing

Totals:
    2,269 calories
    166.6g fat (64%)
    33.7g carbs (6%)
    11.7g fiber
    172.6g protein (30%)

Well, I hadn't logged any of that until right now, so I see that I was over my calories by about 200. I actually thought I would be on the shortside of the calories, but I guess that's why we do the logging. I had forgotten about the tuna I had at meal 3, so that's why I thought I was maybe lowballing it.

I had a good workout yesterday. It was the first time I had worked out with my roommate in a couple weeks, so that was fun. I made a lot of fun of him for trying to do 20 reps of everything, even after I tell him everyday that he needs to be lifting heavy. He says he doesn't want to get bulky, but every time he says that, I respond with "muscles are made in the kitchen." I think he does tons of reps now just to spite me, but whatever. When he has to look at my rock hard body everyday, then maybe he'll listen to me (yes, I no longer plan on wearing clothes inside the house when I reach my goals. Jk, but seriously). I also did about 12 minutes of moderate cardio, so that might have made up for my 200 calorie surplus.

I took a progress pic last night. I figured it has been 3 weeks since I started, so let's take one. I didn't really take a before one to compare with. My avatar was taken about the time I started working out again, right before keto. Stinks I didn't take a normal picture to compare it to. I left my phone at the house today like an idiot, so I'll have to post that up later today.

I hope everyone is having a good week so far. Keep up the hard work! This warm weather is telling me summer is getting close!

Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wakegrl0021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Exactly. I don't see this as a short term goal, it's a long term thing. You can't sacrifice things you enjoy or you'll never stick with it. If you haven't watched the youtube series "I want to look like that guy" (it's a thread towards the top of the keto boards), I'd suggest doing it. His journey is quite interesting.

I'm just looking to be in the bodyfat teens or lower by the time summer rolls around. That gives me about 9 weeks from now, which should be plenty. If I lose a pound of fat a week, that should suffice.

I've been thinking about cutting down on the fat in my diet and adding in more protein. I believe that's part of the anabolic diet and I've heard good things. Is this a typical practice or should I stick with my 65% fat? Or maybe I'll cut down on my calories? Or carb up less often? I only did a 24 hour carb up this weekend, so we'll see how I am energy wise.
    I hear ya, I'm doing this for summer as well. Since it takes your body awhile to adapt to a certain diet, I'd say stay on this 65% fat thing for at least a month and see how your body reacts. If its not working then I'd switch. Don't base it totally off of the scale either try to notice the little changes in appearance maybe that'll keep ya motivated! I'm gonna switch off the diet after another 2 weeks if its not workin the way I want too. And I think the 24 hour carb up is a good idea as well, thats what I did and probably will continue to do.

Just made a sick fudge recipe:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=120891471

It's a little more work than the brownie or sludge, but it's probably one of the best things I've ever tasted, healthy or not. I definitely recommend it. I switched it up with chocolate whey instead of vanila and used about 12 packets of splenda. RIDICULOUS. That's all there is to say really.

The way I made it, the macros are per square:
    83.25 cal 6.3g fat 1.15g carb 4g protein
    NOT TOO SHABBY!

Here's my food for the day overall:

Meal 1:
    2 slices bacon
    1 egg

Meal 2:
    3 hard boiled eggs

PWO shake:
    1 scoop whey

Meal 4:
    6 oz ribeye
    2 cups brussel sprouts

Meal 5:
    1/4 cup almonds

Meal 6:
    1 80/20 hamburger
    1 slice swiss
    2 cups broccoli

Meal 6.5?:
    2 fudge squares (really it was only one, but I was licking the spoon a lot as I was mixing to get the taste right, so I should probably count that)

Totals:
    2,018 calories
    134.0g fat (60%)
    48.6g carbs (9%)
    17.7g fiber
    158.1g protein (31%)

I got the calories almost dead on, but the carbs seem high or the fiber low. Are brussel sprouts not more full of fiber? Anyone know about that one? I figured it to be a leafy green, maybe I need to cut that out next time.

Did legs today, about 12 minutes of solid cardio, and ab ripper x. Hopefully if I can wake myself up in the morning, I'll get to work early and double up the cardio for the day. Start the day off with some LISS for about 40 minutes would be really nice.

Just made a sick fudge recipe:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=120891471

It's a little more work than the brownie or sludge, but it's probably one of the best things I've ever tasted, healthy or not. I definitely recommend it. I switched it up with chocolate whey instead of vanila and used about 12 packets of splenda. RIDICULOUS. That's all there is to say really.
    I'm totally gonna try this recipe!!! You gotta try the protein pancakes in the keto forum their pretty bomb as well! I can link ya too it later, in hurry! Have a great day.

tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just made that protein brownie but I used 5 tbsp pb, 30g protein from chocolate whey and three packs of splenda. SO good. 40g fat, 15g carbs, and 50g protein. Keto delight.

Originally Posted by tom10 View Post
    Just made that protein brownie but I used 5 tbsp pb, 30g protein from chocolate whey and three packs of splenda. SO good. 40g fat, 15g carbs, and 50g protein. Keto delight.
    That's a big brownie! lol. Sounds like a good mix though. I'll have to try it.

When you say 30g protein, do you mean 30g of whey mix or your whey mix is a 30g kind and you used a scoop?

Also, if you like the brownie, I really recommend the fudge. It can't stress enough how much I love that stuff.

tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tom10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's a big brownie! lol. Sounds like a good mix though. I'll have to try it.

When you say 30g protein, do you mean 30g of whey mix or your whey mix is a 30g kind and you used a scoop?

Also, if you like the brownie, I really recommend the fudge. It can't stress enough how much I love that stuff.
    30g of protein from whey so like a scoop and a quarter.

I also noticed something in your above posts about the types of carbs on a carb up. Simple carbs still spike insulin on keto, so try and get most of your carbs from the good stuff. Its okay to splurge and eat a few pop tarts though.

30g of protein from whey so like a scoop and a quarter.

I also noticed something in your above posts about the types of carbs on a carb up. Simple carbs still spike insulin on keto, so try and get most of your carbs from the good stuff. Its okay to splurge and eat a few pop tarts though.
    Yeah, I've been a little confused about this. I've heard other people on the forums say "only complex carbs!" but at the same time, they're usually new to the diet too, so I don't want to just rest it at that. Here's what I've been living by:

The type of carbohydrate consumed during a carb-up can affect the rate at which glycogen is resynthesized. During the first 24 hours, when enzyme activity is at it's highest, it appears that the consumption of high glycemic index (GI) foods such as simple sugars promote higher levels of glycogen resynthesis compared to lower GI foods like starches (5,7,8). Glycogen resynthesis during the second 24 hours has not been studied as extensively. It appears that the consumption of lower GI carbs (starches, vegetables) promotes higher overall levels of glycogen resynthesis while avoiding fat gain by keeping insulin levels more stable (9). Most individuals find that their regain of bodyfat, as well as retention of water under the skin, is considerably less if they switch to lower GI carbohydrates during the second 24 hours of carbohydrate loading. Fructose (fruit sugar, which preferentially refills liver glycogen) will not cause the same amount of glycogen resynthesis seen with glucose or sucrose (5, 8)

It's from Lyle McDonald and can be found here http://www.mesomorphosis.com/article...genic-diet.htm

All the simple carbs I'm eating are from fruits, and according to that article, fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen. Also, right after my depletion workout, I would think having the sugars from the fruit to spike my insulin and repair me after my very physical workout.

I'm really hearing conflicting data here, so if you can link me to a reputable source or tell me I'm interpreting this article wrong, please be my guess to do so.

I've read that as well and that is what I follow for carb ups to some degree. My carb ups are only going to last one day though, so I eat a few oranges and maybe a poptart during the morning and switch over to rice and oats later in the day. If my strength falls, I'll use two days to carb up, but the goal is to stay in ketosis as long as possible and therefore lose more fat. It takes some playing around with but you'll find what works best for you.

I've read that as well and that is what I follow for carb ups to some degree. My carb ups are only going to last one day though, so I eat a few oranges and maybe a poptart during the morning and switch over to rice and oats later in the day. If my strength falls, I'll use two days to carb up, but the goal is to stay in ketosis as long as possible and therefore lose more fat. It takes some playing around with but you'll find what works best for you.
    I see. I did a 24 carb up last weekend. I did my depletion around 11am and ate a ton of blueberries afterwards. Then I changed over to veggies, brown rice, and the such. I agree I felt very good afterwards and I think I was able to get back into ketosis quickly and see some pretty good results this week.

I see. I did a 24 carb up last weekend. I did my depletion around 11am and ate a ton of blueberries afterwards. Then I changed over to veggies, brown rice, and the such. I agree I felt very good afterwards and I think I was able to get back into ketosis quickly and see some pretty good results this week.
    That's about as good of a carb up anyone could ask for.

Been a wild day, sorry for the slow update. I know so many people are out there looking up to me for inspiration and excitment

Meal 1:
    3 squares of fudge

Meal 2:
    3 hardboiled eggs

Meal 3:
    1 turkey burger
    1 slice american cheese
    2 tbsp mayo

Meal 4:
    1/4 cup almonds

Meal 5:
    3 hardboiled eggs

Meal 6:
    1 brat
    1 cup sauerkraut
    spicy brown mustard

Before bed snack:
    1 piece of fudge

Totals:
    2,013 calories
    152.5g fat (69%)
    23.4g carbs (5%)
    4.1g fiber
    129.8g protein (26%)

Didn't do too well with the fiber yesterday, but I've been doing better so far today. Did 45 minutes of LISS that went pretty well. Watching ESPN the whole time and catching up on some NFL changes that have been happening lately, so the time flew by. No lifting on Wednesday, so it was a little lackluster.

Still loving that fudge. I had it again for breakfast this morning since I was in a rush. Something about the rain and me not being able to get out of the bed no matter how many hours of sleep I get. Sucks. Oh well, hope everyone else has been doing well today.

So glad it's not raining today. Yesterday's eats are as follows:

Meal 1:
    3 pieces of keto fudge (I was in a big hurry)

Meal 2:
    1/4 cup almonds
    2 slim jims

Meal 3:
    Caesar salad with chicken and sunflower seeds

Meal 4:
    keto brownie

Meal 5:
    6oz ribeye steak
    2 cups broccoli

PWO:
    1 scoop whey protein

Bedtime snack:
    1 piece of keto fudge

Totals:
    1,992 calories
    134.4g fat (62%)
    42.0g carbs (8%)
    16.9g fiber
    145.9g protein (30%)

Thank goodness I made that keto fudge. It's not only been delicious, but convenient in a pinch and a good way to add in a few extra calories I'm missing.

I did bi's and back yesterday. Did some good, heavy deadliftin' and plenty of different curls. I feel like my bicep workouts just aren't as great as they could be. Chest, for example, is usually one of my "stronger" days because I feel like I'm just training super hard with it and still able to maintain good form. Biceps, on the other hand, I feel like I can't go to heavy without having to start leaning back or bowing out my elbows or something else. Anyone have any suggestions to really isolate the muscle that doesn't allow me to cheat? I've read about doing some curls on a pulley while laying on the ground, I might try that next time, but that's only one. Preacher curls are hard to cheat on, I guess that's two. Concentration curls can't really be cheated, there's three. Anything else?

I hope everyone's having a great day and I look forward to reading everyone elses logs!

When you're doing curls, keep every muscle but the biceps semi-relaxed. The other muscles will have to flex slightly just to maintain posture, but by keeping the other muscles relaxed-ish and flexing the biceps more, you get a more isolated effect. Also, keep the elbows down and don't let the barbell/dumbbell and elbows form a perpendicular line with the ground at the top of the movement. When you form that line or go past that line, the work shifts over to the delts. You will undoubtedly have to use a lower weight, but you will be working the muscle better. You can do those cheat reps, but only do them at the end of the set/failure and don't count them for reps. I have found those cheat reps help me get stronger for the next time I do curls.

You also have to realize that after a deadlift session, your grip is going to suck and the biceps usually pay for it. If this is the case, try doing curls with your wrists relaxed, almost limp, so that at the top of the movement your palm is facing the ceiling rather than facing you. This will feel weird at first, but it takes the forearms almost completely out of the equation.
    Last edited by tom10; 03-12-2010 at 08:53 AM.

I agree with Tom10 those are the best ways to isolate the muscle if ya want to lift better bis. I do cheat sets at failure as well, read to do it in Muscle & Fitness so its gotta be right! ha

What a weekend! Yesterday was about as debaucherous as you can get on a "carb up," but at least it was fun I guess.

So Friday night me and my roommate went out to a wing joint for some wings and basketball. I had planned my whole day around this fact and what goes great with wings and watching sports? BEER! I did some research and found that MGD 64 is not only 64 calories, but half the carbs and half the alcohol. Now the half the alcohol thing would be a problem if I was on a mission, but I was just looking to kick back a couple for taste and comfort reasons, so it worked out great. I ended up still below 30 carbs on the day, at maintenance calories, and quite happy about my plansmanship.

Saturday I had a wedding that was out of state. Since I was in the car most of the time, I really didn't eat a whole lot and didn't track my calories. The first meal of the day that I had was lunchish around 2:30. It was a big cobb salad with lots of egg, bacon, avocado, turkey, bleu cheese, and ranch. Very good, very filling. After the wedding (which was wonderful by the way), we headed to the reception. I picked a ton vegetables, hummus, and was ECSTATIC over a meat carving station. Then came the cake cutting, I could have easily done without, but I felt it would have been slightly disrespectful to skip out on the cake, so I had some. It was incredibly sweet, like most wedding cakes are, and actually gave me a slight stomach ache. How could I have eaten such poison so easily in the past?

Sunday was my grandparent's 70th anniversary, so we headed to the retirement homes for a catered lunch with a lot of my family. I had a depletion workout before hand, but it was pretty short and not that great. The whole time change really threw me off and I was in a pinch for time. At the lunch I ended up eating backed chicken, mac and cheese, and a ton of vegetables. Luckily they had whole wheat rolls, but I only ate one of them before they were all gone. I had some cake there too, also gave me a stomach ache, but it was incredibly delicious. For dinner, my gf was craving Mexican, so I figured why not and got a steak chimichanga. Ate that, plus some cheese dip, guac, little bit of sour cream, rice, beans, the whole nine yards. Yep, so I only had two meals yesterday, but boy were they good.

No clue how I did on calories this weekend, but it's not really something that I think I could accurately even guess. That's probably kinda bad, but at least it was during the weekend. I'm back to the keto now and going to really bust it in the gym this week. I hope everyone else had a great weekend!

Sounds like you had a pretty good weekend! Nice carb load and those few pieces of cake will be burned off the gym this week right! Keep up the good work have a good day.