Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How does my Squat,DL and BP compare to the average male?

Hey guys,

I'm a guy who use to be overweight and has recently started getting into shape. I decided on making this thread to get a rough idea of where I stand currently. I was wondering if you guys can tell me how I compare to the average male, with respect to the following three lifts. Below are my stats and weight I can rep 5-6 times.

Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 200lb

Squat: 190lb
    Bench Press: 160lb
    Dead Lift: 175lb

Now, please note that I'd like to be compared to the average male, not the average male who lifts at a gym. By average-lifting-male standards, I'm guessing I'm in between below average and weak. How do I compare to the average US male? Am I average at least?

Thanks,

-Compl3x

Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jacure will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Compl3x View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm a guy who use to be overweight and has recently started getting into shape. I decided on making this thread to get a rough idea of where I stand currently. I was wondering if you guys can tell me how I compare to the average male, with respect to the following three lifts. Below are my stats and weight I can rep 5-6 times.

Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 200lb

Squat: 190lb
    Bench Press: 160lb
    Dead Lift: 175lb

Now, please note that I'd like to be compared to the average male, not the average male who lifts at a gym. By average-lifting-male standards, I'm guessing I'm in between below average and weak. How do I compare to the average US male? Am I average at least?

Thanks,

-Compl3x
    ok, i guess for average joe.
    The way to the father is narrow, but the way to destruction is wide. My brother man on the other side. Please take the righteous route.

Trini 2 de bone!!!

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2ugncsp.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/2eb92q1.jpg[/IMG]

Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Compl3x will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh, and just in case it wasn't clear. This is where I am at currently. I still have a ways to go. I'll be posting pictures as soon as I get the courage to do so. I was 255lb at one point and the pictures are embarrassing.

__Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Everything is average for an average person.

Bench is below average for average lifter. Squat and dead are weak for an average lifter.
    How much grass could an ass to grass squater squat if an ass to grass squater could squat grass?

Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, you're pretty average.

Whats you're bodyfat? You're a pretty big guy for you to be repping that low amount of weight.
    "Knowing others is wisdom;
    Knowing the self is enlightenment."

"Limitations are for people who set them, excuses are for people who need them"

"I just have this thing inside me that wants to eat and conquer. Maybe it's egotistical, but I have it in me. I don't want to be a tycoon. I just want to conquer people and their souls."

**Misc Strength Crew**
    **Would be in an Albanian crew if Albanians got along crew**

Originally Posted by __Iceman__ View Post
    Everything is average for an average person.

Bench is below average for average lifter. Squat and dead are weak for an average lifter.
    Thanks for the honest input.

Originally Posted by Lux-Veritas View Post
    Yeah, you're pretty average.

Whats you're bodyfat? You're a pretty big guy for you to be repping that low amount of weight.
    No idea on my body fat. I have somewhat of a flat stomach and a little bit of man boob if that helps any. And by flat stomach, I don't mean flat and lean. I mean it's not a beer belly. It's a flat somewhat flabby stomach.

Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just keep at it. You'll gain a lot of weight on all those lifts, deadlift especially, just by improving your form alone.
    Dogs are forever in the push-up position - Mitch Hedberg

Ovary Puncher!!!!!!!! O.o WillGoesBoing's Avatar
    WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well the thing is.... your average joe who doesn't go to the gym wouldn't be doing squats, deadlifts, and bench now would they? If you're going to compare yourself to someone aim higher.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king". Seriously now.... if you workout at the gym, compare to others who workout at the gym. Your lifts are well below average. But as you said you're just getting back into shape, you've just started lifting seriously, and you have ways to go. Keep working on it until you can at least bench your body weight, deadlift 2x your body weight, and squat 1.5x your body weight. That would be "pretty good".

Originally Posted by WillGoesBoing View Post
    Well the thing is.... your average joe who doesn't go to the gym wouldn't be doing squats, deadlifts, and bench now would they? If you're going to compare yourself to someone aim higher.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king". Seriously now.... if you workout at the gym, compare to others who workout at the gym. Your lifts are well below average. But as you said you're just getting back into shape, you've just started lifting seriously, and you have ways to go. Keep working on it until you can at least bench your body weight, deadlift 2x your body weight, and squat 1.5x your body weight. That would be "pretty good".
    You can't get back what you never had. I was never in shape haha...

For the past 20 some years, I've been very inactive when it comes to sports and exercise in general. Maybe that's why my lifts are so small. Could my body be this way because I never really pushed it until recently?

Btw, when I first started squating, I was only able to do 95lb. When I first started bench pressing, I was also doing 95lb.

Ovary Puncher!!!!!!!! O.o WillGoesBoing's Avatar
    WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can't get back what you never had. I was never in shape haha...

For the past 20 some years, I've been very inactive when it comes to sports and exercise in general. Maybe that's why my lifts are so small. Could my body be this way because I never really pushed it until recently?

Btw, when I first started squating, I was only able to do 95lb. When I first started bench pressing, I was also doing 95lb.
    Dude when I first started bench pressing I could barely do the bar. Mainly because of balancing issues. We all start somewhere. But you having never been athletic definitely plays a role mainly because your body isn't use to recruiting your muscle fibers compared to a person who had done sports or been active all their life.

I read somewhere that a person who does not lift, only activates a very small percentage of their muscle fibers. Whereas a person who trains activates say, 80-85%. And when you get electrocuted that's when you fully activate 100% of it. Google (central nervous system) and muscle recruitment. You will learn a lot about gaining strength.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

I have a bellybutton The Shoeless Wonder's Avatar
    The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) The Shoeless Wonder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i wasnt going to copy and paste 4 or so pages, so here

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

edit; a bit too late

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think the "Ovary Puncher" nailed it.

It doesn't really matter where you start; some guys start off by doing pretty good weight for their weight and height and others a lot less so. Think of it this way: If you can bench 160 now, then for a man your age and weight, that's just so-so in your mind, maybe, and in other people's minds as well. But you started at 95, so that jump, newbie gains or no, is still progress. And if you keep at it, that 160 bench will someday climb to 180, then 200, and probably a lot more. You just have to keep at it.

Same deal for the weight loss. You started at 255 and dropped to 200 or so--that's progress. And if you keep your diet right (diet is also the bane of my existence) then you'll probably lose a few more pounds while you're building your newbie muscle.

There really are no "secrets" except these:

1. Progression in weights and/or reps. Make little jumps when you can.

2. Eating well. Since you have a tendency to gain weight (and I can relate to that) you have to cut out all junk food and stick to the regular food: Eggs, meat, chicken, fish, veggies, some fruit, and a bit of bread and pasta here and there.

3. Be consistent. Don't slack off on training or diet. If you don't want to look like you did before and you do want to look like a beach-god or simply "buff" (I hate that word) then you'll continue training.

The last thing you should do is to check out the Stickies for training programmes. If you want a higher bench and squat and deadlift, then you may have to change your rep ranges. FWIW, I'd stick to doing between 5-8 reps for benches and squats, and no more than 5 for deads. That's just me. Other movements you could do between 6-10 reps and maybe 12-15 for calves and forearms. Your choice. But if you want strength on the "Big Three" stick to lower reps.

Best of luck.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to check out everything people posted.

Getting in shape is really the way to go. Not only do you get the obvious benefits (less strain on your heart, less injury, etc), you also get added social benefits. People smile more and are generally nicer when you aren't overweight. I've been overweight for much of my life and I have noticed a difference in the way people treat me. Whether we like it or not, we live in a somewhat shallow society where "looking good" can help you out.
    Last edited by Compl3x; 02-21-2010 at 06:32 PM.

wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10) wgfmoonpie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One thing I didn't see (though I could have overlooked it) was how long you had been lifting. When I started back after an extremely long time away I was doing good to press 135. Been lifting steadily for about 5 months, and before starting my new routine, I was doing 240 a couple of reps (235 had been my max in my mid 20s).

Don't get discouraged or worry about where you're at compared to others. As other's have said just try to make steady progress, that's really all you can hope to do.

I did P90X from June 09 to October 09. After I finished with that I started lifting. I didn't get serious with lifting until after Thanksgiving though. Once Thanksgiving passed, I started keeping track of how many calories I was consuming everyday and how much weight I was lifting. I kept (and still keep) track with Excel spreadsheets. I also weigh myself every week and put that on a spreadsheet as well.

theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There isn't really an "average Joe". Don't worry about how you compare to other people, just keep working toward improvement. There shouldn't be a level where you're "content" and not aiming higher --- if there is, quit now before you waste your time.
    the crew that poop poop poops crews crew
    ω

Originally Posted by theshoupguy View Post
    There isn't really an "average Joe". Don't worry about how you compare to other people, just keep working toward improvement. There shouldn't be a level where you're "content" and not aiming higher --- if there is, quit now before you waste your time.
    What did you mean by that last part?

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What did you mean by that last part?
    I'll guess he means that standing still is going backwards...
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    I'll guess he means that standing still is going backwards...
    Exactly. It should be a constant effort toward improvement.
    the crew that poop poop poops crews crew
    ω

chunckylover16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    that is a little more then i could do two months ago. now i can bench press 235, squat 415, and dead lift 315.
    Last edited by chunckylover16; 02-21-2010 at 08:46 PM.

EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricG71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would say that for all 3, your pretty average (despite your above average size..). Thats compared to an average Joe tho, compared to an average lifter, you got a way to go.

Work at it, a 6"3 frame is something ALOT of people wish they had.....

Originally Posted by EricG71 View Post
    I would say that for all 3, your pretty average (despite your above average size..). Thats compared to an average Joe tho, compared to an average lifter, you got a way to go.

Work at it, a 6"3 frame is something ALOT of people wish they had.....
    Thanks man. I'll try not to disappoint.