Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100)

Evidence for "CNS Recovery"

Many articles on this board refers to CNS recovery as a component of rest/recovery in regards to bodybuilding. Yet I haven't heard anyone discuss what CNS Recovery actually is. After researching the idea I'm not even convinced it is a real component of bodybuilding recovery.

BB Article on CNS Recovery -

"Some evidence exists showing that when neurotransmitters like acetylcholine, dopamine, and norepinephrine get depleted, physical and cognitive performance suffers."

All of these neurotransmitters are depleted through common daily activities that may or may not involve bodybuilding/exercise. They are also replenished through nutrition and sleep.

Furthermore things like coffee (or any stimulants for that matter) will deplete neurotransmitters epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. Alcohol acts on dopamine. Opiates greatly deplete dopamine. Being frightened and or excited release epinephrine ect ect.

Where is the evidence that these neurotransmitters affect muscle recovery and or growth. Because in my own anecdotal experience I have noticed no effect on my training even when my "neurotransmitters are depleted".

Cheers to bro-science!

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you want evidence, then strap a set of myograph electrodes to your legs and do 20 rep squats. Look at the rate coding, and repeat the workout to failure along with deadlifts every other day for three weeks. Look at your rate coding at the end of it. If your numbers are decent to start out with, it'll be erratic and weak. You'll probably see some form of regression in your lift numbers.

I'm not sure about the exact way it happens, only that it does happen.
    GOMAD!

Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100) Timmm567 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by gordonrumble View Post
    If you want evidence, then strap a set of myograph electrodes to your legs and do 20 rep squats. Look at the rate coding, and repeat the workout to failure along with deadlifts every other day for three weeks. Look at your rate coding at the end of it. If your numbers are decent to start out with, it'll be erratic and weak. You'll probably see some form of regression in your lift numbers.

I'm not sure about the exact way it happens, only that it does happen.
    I'm not saying that exercise can't deplete neurotransmitters, what I'm saying is that there are many other things that do this as well and even more effectively than weightlifting (like drinking caffeine). I think the depletion from exercise is probably negligible with most standard bodybuilding routines.

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have no idea how neurotransmitters are affected by this. The causes of the CNS problem are not well understood, frankly; the results are. It could be that your motor center has to fire so hard during these movements that it burns out somehow, but it's up in the air as to how that goes. I'm not sure if you can chemically wear out your brain's ability to fire your muscles, but it's possible.
    GOMAD!

mikeeeeeH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From what I understand on the subject of 'CNS Fatigue' the issue isnt that it affects muscle recovery/hypertrophy but more so that it affects the ability for the muscle to contract fully when there is a chemical imbalance, these imbalances occur prior to high CNS movements such as heavy deadlifting or squating. Granted the field of CNS Fatigue is a relatively new one as stated above and its a tad hazy and regularly contradicted or outright denied by some athletes.

From an article I've read they believe the decline in performance is the result of byproducts of the contraction 'clogging' nerve fibers which is what the defined 'absolute failure' to be in terms of repetitions.

I would say I believe in CNS Fatigue quite much so as i've experienced it when I attempted to add a consecutive day onto the back of my lower body strength day (Heavy Deadlifting/RDL/Leg Press) and when comparing the numbers of the previous work out there's a definite strength decrease, mood decrease, endurance decrease and mentally well I was fried.

When put in a rest/recovery context the CNS is viewed separately from the muscles requiring its own nutrients (magnesium, potassium, etc) otherwise issues come up like my above example
    Last edited by mikeeeeeH; 02-21-2010 at 10:50 PM.