JPKC is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Never getting sore in the back

I'm a beginner, i.e. still making progress from one workout to the next and I get sore in most bodyparts besides my inner, middle back (lower traps, rhomboids). My lats get sore on the side of the body, but not in the lower "sweep" as they come across the back.

My back routine is as follows (not including 2-3 warm up sets):

- Seated cable row (wide grip), 3 sets
    - Seasted cable row (narrow grip), 3 sets
    - Lat pull down (wide grip), 3 sets
    - Lat pull down (narrow grip, leaning 30' back), 3 sets

I make an effort to squeeze the shoulder blads and try to limit the biceps involvement.

My back width is coming along well but I'm very eager to build a thicker back since I'm naturally thin with a flat rib cage.

Any thoughts?

IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IAmNando has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JPKC View Post
    I'm a beginner, i.e. still making progress from one workout to the next and I get sore in most bodyparts besides my inner, middle back (lower traps, rhomboids). My lats get sore on the side of the body, but not in the lower "sweep" as they come across the back.

I make an effort to squeeze the shoulder blads and try to limit the biceps involvement.

My back width is coming along well but I'm very eager to build a thicker back since I'm naturally thin with a flat rib cage.

Any thoughts?
    Your upper and mid back is mainly your traps. They're quite a large muscle group. Along with your rear delta, rhomboids and a few other muscles. Since you wish to work on thickness first try this, the next time you do any rowing:

When performing any back exercise, initiate the movement by drawing your shoulder blade(s) as far back (retracting the scapula) as you can instantly you'll feel your back muscles working, then begin actually doing your standard row. This allows for more range of motion and hitting the muscles more efficiently.

For thickness you need different movements, T-Bar row, Penlay row, Yates Row - there excesses allow you to load up a lot more than what you can do on a cable.

Also depends when you're rowing the handle/weight to, for upper back you want to row the weights a bit higher than your waist, for me it's almost inline with my chest, but experiment. You'll find the sweet spot where you feel your upper back muscles working.
    Also, hit your traps 2-3 times a week - This can be done by doing shrugs, trap bar deadlift, farmers walk and when you get a bit more experience try incorporating rack pulls.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Any thoughts?
    While soreness isn't a requirement for growth, you should at least feel something during and a day or so after training your back. Review your exercise form, slow your reps down a little, and possibly even reduce your loads a bit.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    try using a unilateral movement to really concentrate on that area.

Originally Posted by sooby View Post
    try using a unilateral movement to really concentrate on that area.
    Any suggestion for exercises?

Thanks for the responses!

BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigFatFatty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Any thoughts?
    Behind the back barbell shrugs have helped me big time in isolating traps and upper back.. Has become a staple.

I would throw in one or two free-weight exercises... Maybe some dumbbell rows and as I already mentioned behind the back barbell shrugs.

Originally Posted by IAmNando View Post
    Your upper and mid back is mainly your traps. They're quite a large muscle group. Along with your rear delta, rhomboids and a few other muscles. Since you wish to work on thickness first try this, the next time you do any rowing:

When performing any back exercise, initiate the movement by drawing your shoulder blade(s) as far back (retracting the scapula) as you can instantly you'll feel your back muscles working, then begin actually doing your standard row. This allows for more range of motion and hitting the muscles more efficiently.

For thickness you need different movements, T-Bar row, Penlay row, Yates Row - there excesses allow you to load up a lot more than what you can do on a cable.

Also depends when you're rowing the handle/weight to, for upper back you want to row the weights a bit higher than your waist, for me it's almost inline with my chest, but experiment. You'll find the sweet spot where you feel your upper back muscles working.
    Also, hit your traps 2-3 times a week - This can be done by doing shrugs, trap bar deadlift, farmers walk and when you get a bit more experience try incorporating rack pulls.
    Thanks! Tried the approach to retract the scapula prior to pulling and it made a big difference in how I’m feeling afterwards.