Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a real person!! abcreations's Avatar
    abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50) abcreations will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How much do you charge?

Just wondering what everyone else charges. I know it varies all over but I was looking for an average. The gym owner wants to charge about $50 but I think for small town midwest that may be to much.

JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    thats pretty average for an hour session
    IFPA/PNBA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    P4P Muscle Sponsored Athlete
    Fitness and Nutrition Programs www.Payhip.com/JulianBrownFitness
    www.JulianBrownTraining.com
    www.********.com/Julianbrownpersonaltraining
    www.dailymotion.com/julian11453
    www.Twitter.com/Jbtraining
    www.askthetrainer.com/author/julianbrown/

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Here in Melbourne Australia the rates average $60/hr in the CBD, down to $40/hr in the small regional cities. There are some corporate trainers who charge $100/hr, and some people doing all their jobs in cash under the table for $20-$30, but I would be a bit wary of their competence judging by the tone of their adverts.

In the gyms most sessions are 30 minutes, if it's a mobile trainer they usually insist on an hour minimum - not worth the travel time, otherwise.

Whatever the exchange rate, the Australian dollar and the US dollar are about equivalent in purchasing power in their own countries' big cities.

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think the going rate around here. Is $50-$60 (Maybe a little cheaper for bulk sessions)

With our package training, the "per session price" ranges from $80-$60 depending on the package size (24-100 sessions). We include a lot of other things in this package which people really love. Many people are coming from the cheaper trainers to us and realising they have been wasting their money at the others.

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    Many people are coming from the cheaper trainers to us and realising they have been wasting their money at the others.
    What extras do you add compared to the other trainers? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering about specifics. Obviously there is the Care Factor, manner matters a lot - but what else? It's not immediately obvious from your website.

I bring this up just because it's an issue in pricing - the more you offer, the more you can charge.

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    What extras do you add compared to the other trainers? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering about specifics. Obviously there is the Care Factor, manner matters a lot - but what else? It's not immediately obvious from your website.

I bring this up just because it's an issue in pricing - the more you offer, the more you can charge.
    We are in the process of updating the website. We dont really advertise private training all that much as its building on word of mouth.

I make sure our services are the premium ones in town. Features of our packages include:

-Training in full privacy in one of the fully equipped sections of our studio

- Complete nutritional plans. We work in conjunction with a nutritionist. We create step by step easy to follow nutrition plans with foods they actually want to eat. We even generate weekly shopping lists.

- Fornightly nutrition consults (separate to the training sessions) to update and change macros accordingly

- Goal setting sessionsto get clients in the right frame of mind and focused (separate to the training sessions)

- Free item of PerFit clothing and then a further discount on all merch and supplements

- Discount to our bootcamps/group training (if it complements their own training)

- VIP card for discounts to stores/services in town we have joint ventures with

- 24/7 email/sms support

- When we add a massage room to the studio I will most likley add a monthly/bimonthly massage in as well as a reward for consistent training.

- Subscription to our bi weekly e-newsletter and monthly newsletter

- Follow ups with clients if they miss a session or had a really tough workout. That 30sec call you make to them makes ALL the difference.

Theres many more little things that I cant think of off the top of my head but we make a point of being a one stop shop for all their needs. My goal is to move the studio towards more of a "wellness center" as I know that there is so much more to being healthy than just exercise and nutrition (heance me wanting to call my staff wellness coaches ).

I'll never compete on price with people. I always want to be the most expensive in town and use the extra $$ to overdeliver to clients.
    Last edited by jules_d1; 02-02-2010 at 07:48 PM.

That sounds excellent, Jules, thanks for that. The followups are a particularly good thing, I reckon.

Now get it up on your website, you bludger!

[Says the guy who doesn't even have one]

caseykaldal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caseykaldal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caseykaldal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    $50 is about average. What is more important is how much value can you add to offset the price. Worst thing to do is try and be the cheapest. They will always be someone cheaper.

Cheers,

Casey Kaldal

www.AdviceForPersonalTrainers.com | www.RockStarFitnessJobs.com
    Online resource dedicated to the success of fitness professionals. Topics ranging from health and nutrition to fitness marketing, courses, salaries and job opportunities.

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Trainers should charge what they're worth, but that's not the case. I've seen trainers who got certified yesterday charge as much as a trainer who's been doing it for 10 years, just because they feel entitled to make as much as the veteran. It's earning your pay vs not earning your pay.

If i was seeking out a trainer, i want to make sure the trainer is worth the investment. I want to know how long they been training, do they love helping others, is it a job or a career, i want to see pictures of past and present clients. I want to meet those people in those pictures if possible, just to make sure it's not a fluke. I want to see their work! That will give me a better idea on seeing if the trainers service is actually of value to me. I wouldn't fork out the money to a trainer, just because they're certified, have a degree or both.

If a trainer can't prove their success to you, then move on, and find one that can.
    Mastering Yourself Makes You Fearless

SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My rates

10 30 min sessions 300
    10 hour sessions 550

As they buy more the price goes down. Minimum is 25 a session

My student special
    220 for 10 30 min

FDNY/NYPD/EMT special:

240 for 10 30 min

In house/other training center training (New York City)

150 an hour
    http://sagefit.wordpress.com/
    Becoming A Success In The World Of Fitness
    Learn how to make a six figure salary in the world of fitness. Tips for personal trainers, fitness business owners and more.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

Owner of Sage: Exclusive Fitness Center in Whitestone, NY and Sage Studios in Astoria, NY.
    www.sagefit.com

Originally Posted by MVP View Post
    Trainers should charge what they're worth, but that's not the case. I've seen trainers who got certified yesterday charge as much as a trainer who's been doing it for 10 years, just because they feel entitled to make as much as the veteran.
    If they get clients, then either they keep them - in which case they were worth it - or they don't keep them, in which case they end up the same as the one who doesn't get clients. Free market.

The experienced ones could always charge more, too.

If i was seeking out a trainer, i want to make sure the trainer is worth the investment. I want to know how long they been training, do they love helping others, is it a job or a career, i want to see pictures of past and present clients. I want to meet those people in those pictures if possible, just to make sure it's not a fluke. I want to see their work! That will give me a better idea on seeing if the trainers service is actually of value to me. I wouldn't fork out the money to a trainer, just because they're certified, have a degree or both.
    Let's focus on that "if". This level of scepticism is common in people who never hire trainers Ever see that show The Goodies? There was an episode where Bill opened a disco, it was so exclusive no-one was allowed in. Likewise, your requirements for a trainer are high, and you don't hire one.

There are genuinely people like that, not just trainers. "If I were to hire someone..." but they never would.

Actual clients aren't so picky. They just go on rapport. "Do I like this person?" If you're lucky they notice professionalism, too. But not always. I mean, have you ever heard of a case where a would-be client asked to check the trainer's qualifications or registration? People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. They hire based on rapport, they don't have a checklist like MVP.

SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just for the record, I am a firm believer in charging less than average and working more. The more people you train the more referrals and word of mouth you have. Sure you may make the same in 8 hours as someone else does in 6 but you'll fill up faster with lower prices and tend to keep people better. Once you fill up then you can freely raise prices to what you really intended on.

The more people you train the more free marketing you have. It's efficient and usually overlooked.
    Learn how to make a six figure salary in the world of fitness. Tips for personal trainers, fitness business owners and more.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

Owner of Sage: Exclusive Fitness Center in Whitestone, NY and Sage Studios in Astoria, NY.
    www.sagefit.com

Originally Posted by SageFit View Post
    Just for the record, I am a firm believer in charging less than average and working more. The more people you train the more referrals and word of mouth you have. Sure you may make the same in 8 hours as someone else does in 6 but you'll fill up faster with lower prices and tend to keep people better. Once you fill up then you can freely raise prices to what you really intended on.

The more people you train the more free marketing you have. It's efficient and usually overlooked.
    But if you charge more you have to fill less spots?

Also, i find that those who pay more, put more value into something.

If i had the same clients but charged them half of what i do now, they wouldnt be as compliant as the perceived value is less.

just an observation from the other end.

Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    But if you charge more you have to fill less spots?

Also, i find that those who pay more, put more value into something.

If i had the same clients but charged them half of what i do now, they wouldnt be as compliant as the perceived value is less.

just an observation from the other end.
    I think $60 a session is expensive as it is, for any commodity that's done so often. I don't find any lack of motivation based on lowering a price by $10-20. I'm not saying you have to slash your prices in half but at least aiming for average or below to beat competition seems to work well, especially in building a clientele. Once you have a following it's easier to go up since people will tend to stay regardless.

Though I see where your coming from.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

www.sagefit.com

Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Highest hour sessions for me is 50$ lowest half hour session is 20$. Depends on how much in bulk they purchase.
    A.C.E Certified Personal Trainer
    N.E.S.T.A Fitness Nutrition Coach

HOMER: [holds Lisa's suitcase] Somebody's traveling light.
    LISA: Meh. Maybe you're just getting stronger.
    HOMER: Well, I have been eating more.

Squat:560-Raw 565-wraps
    Bench:365-Raw
    Deadlift:555-Raw
    Front Squat-405x2(Raw) 465x1(Wraps)

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by abcreations View Post
    Just wondering what everyone else charges. I know it varies all over but I was looking for an average. The gym owner wants to charge about $50 but I think for small town midwest that may be to much.
    I maintain 30-35 sessions per week in a small town in Minnesota. I was charging $40.00 per session, but just gave myself a $5.00 per hour raise and moved all my existing and incoming clients to $45.00 per session.

For a group of 2-4 I will charge $30.00 per session.

For my summer bootcamp which can consist of 10-15 people, I charge $10.00 per person.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

For the record, just for sake of figuring out what a person can make training:

I charge $30 per half hour

I currently train 130-150 sessions a week + make money from 7 independents renting space as well as 1 employee and 2 group classes of zumba. Then I do nutrition analysis since I have a degree. Don't be fooled into thinking personal training is not a profitable job.

Even water sales add up when you get a lot of clients. Figure I sell about 40 bottles of water a week at 2 dollars each (obviously you can jack prices up). Sure it doesn't sound like a lot but that's 80 dollars a week which is 4000 a year. That's extra spending cash right there.

The best advice I can give is to try and make money in multiple places. Business first, training second and I will repeat that motto till the end because it's the only way you make it as a trainer
    Last edited by SageFit; 02-18-2010 at 05:42 AM.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

www.sagefit.com

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For the record, just for sake of figuring out what a person can make training:

I charge $30 per half hour

I currently train 130-150 sessions a week + make money from 7 independents renting space as well as 1 employee and 2 group classes of zumba. Then I do nutrition analysis since I have a degree. Don't be fooled into thinking personal training is not a profitable job.

Even water sales add up when you get a lot of clients. Figure I sell about 40 bottles of water a week at 2 dollars each (obviously you can jack prices up). Sure it doesn't sound like a lot but that's 80 dollars a week which is 4000 a year. That's extra spending cash right there.

The best advice I can give is to try and make money in multiple places. Business first, training second and I will repeat that motto till the end because it's the only way you make it as a trainer
    You are training up to 75 hours per week? No offense, but you'll burnout fast at that rate. Unless you are doing groups or something and counting each person in the group as a session.

Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    You are training up to 75 hours per week? No offense, but you'll burnout fast at that rate. Unless you are doing groups or something and counting each person in the group as a session.
    Everyone keeps telling me that but I have no problem training. I actually work 80+ hours a week right now. It's a new business, if you can't put effort into a new business than it will fade quickly. Burning out is not a worry.

and no groups. All I do is the 1 on 1.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

www.sagefit.com

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    At the local Health Center, for personal training (one-on-one sessions) it breaks down to $50 per session with the trainer getting just less than half that (overhead). Buddy sessions, and bulk packages can reduce that though...

Fitness classes and boot camps at the Health Center are paid as floor hours for the trainer (free to the members of the gym); however, the smaller gym down the road does plenty of classes where they charge $5-$10 a head and classes stay packed. One of my friends fields Zumba classes and a pilates/yoga class almost every day and she has at least 12 students a class (can get up to 30 at a time).
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

Everyone keeps telling me that but I have no problem training. I actually work 80+ hours a week right now. It's a new business, if you can't put effort into a new business than it will fade quickly. Burning out is not a worry.

You have no problem with it because it is a new business Sounds like you haven't been doing it for years at that pace.

I guess it just depends on your priorities. If you don't have a family and you're single, then what else are you gonna do really? I'd personally double people up, do groups of two, work half the time and make the same amount of money. That is still a cheap price for a group training for two people.

I just moved up into the training manager position at one of my locations that I train, so I've got a trainer under me now. My goal is to sell their sessions for my 10% sales commission. I also receive a 10% commission on any training done in the gym, regardless of if I sold it or not. So, the possibility is there to make 20% on their training

Any words of advice for selling another trainer besides myself?

Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    You have no problem with it because it is a new business Sounds like you haven't been doing it for years at that pace.

I guess it just depends on your priorities. If you don't have a family and you're single, then what else are you gonna do really? I'd personally double people up, do groups of two, work half the time and make the same amount of money. That is still a cheap price for a group training for two people.

I just moved up into the training manager position at one of my locations that I train, so I've got a trainer under me now. My goal is to sell their sessions for my 10% sales commission. I also receive a 10% commission on any training done in the gym, regardless of if I sold it or not. So, the possibility is there to make 20% on their training

Any words of advice for selling another trainer besides myself?
    Grouping up is a theory. There's no proof that if I did that people would stay. I'm good at one on one and people follow me because of it. Not to mention I simply hate training groups.

and yes at 24 I don't have many priorities besides house, car and this place. I'm also young enough to get work in now so at 30 I can relax and have people running things for me. But as it is right now I currently make a lot more than anyone my age and bust my ass for it. For that im proud.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

www.sagefit.com

Grouping up is a theory. There's no proof that if I did that people would stay. I'm good at one on one and people follow me because of it. Not to mention I simply hate training groups.

and yes at 24 I don't have many priorities besides house, car and this place. I'm also young enough to get work in now so at 30 I can relax and have people running things for me. But as it is right now I currently make a lot more than anyone my age and bust my ass for it. For that im proud.
    Yep, I agree with you on the working hard now to relax later. I'm doing the same thing right now, and am continually moving forward and raising income every year, yet my work time isn't increasing.

Our goals are very similar and I think our thoughts are too. If I was single, I'd be working more. Also, if I was working more, I'd soon be single Gotta pay attention to my wife and two babies as well!

Grouping two people that are similar is a good idea and can create a nice environment.

Do you find that your 30 minute sessions easily turn into 35-40 minutes? 30 minutes it pretty short, but I've been toying with the idea to get more people under my belt as well. It would be more affordable for people too, but I would really have to focus no keeping it to 30 minutes.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Trainers should charge what they're worth, but that's not the case. I've seen trainers who got certified yesterday charge as much as a trainer who's been doing it for 10 years, just because they feel entitled to make as much as the veteran. It's earning your pay vs not earning your pay.

If a trainer can't prove their success to you, then move on, and find one that can.

BAM!! Exactly. This is the reason why I also train close friends for free. Their before and after pics and testimonials will serve me well into the future.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by abcreations View Post
    For a 30min workout between $30 and $40
    For a hour workout $45 and up
    depends on how long they have been a trainer

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Being that it's a "new business", 80 hours a week is ok. You do have to put in the hours because it's a "new business"

As far as burning out, i hope you're not training 80+ hours a week 10 years from now, especially at only 1 on 1's.

Time is money, and eventually it would be very wise to do groups.

Personally i don't consider personal training work. It's my career, my lifestyle, and it's what i love doing

Being that it's a "new business", 80 hours a week is ok. You do have to put in the hours because it's a "new business"

As far as burning out, i hope you're not training 80+ hours a week 10 years from now, especially at only 1 on 1's.

Time is money, and eventually it would be very wise to do groups.

Personally i don't consider personal training work. It's my career, my lifestyle, and it's what i love doing
    I will never do groups, only raise my one on one prices. If you say you need to do what you love then why would I do something I don't? I love 1 on 1, hate group training. Im already more successful than 99% of trainers, and i'm not saying this to be cocky but why ruin a good thing?

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

www.sagefit.com

I will never do groups, only raise my one on one prices. If you say you need to do what you love then why would I do something I don't? I love 1 on 1, hate group training. Im already more successful than 99% of trainers, and i'm not saying this to be cocky but why ruin a good thing?
    You're a young buck, and how long have you been training?
    If you don't love doing group training then don't. You're honestly limiting yourself.

I had that same mindset 10 years ago. I told myself i would never do group training, keep 1 on 1 and raise my rates. Fast forward to now, and my eyes opened up years ago. Time is money, and i still do 1 on 1's. Now that i also do groups, i have eliminated 40 hour training weeks. I train maybe 20-25 hours a week. I have plenty of free time on my hands to travel, and do other things. I have the time to enjoy the money i make.

Congrads on the success. What 99% of trainers are you speaking of?
    It's a good thing to have your own business, be your own boss, have money coming in, and have others paying you for space, but it's not a good thing to train 80+ hours a week in the long run. Repetitive 80 hour training weeks will take it's toll on your health. It will catch up to you.
    Last edited by MVP; 02-19-2010 at 10:58 AM.

You're a young buck, and how long have you been training?
    If you don't love doing group training then don't. You're honestly limiting yourself.

I had that same mindset 10 years ago. I told myself i would never do group training, keep 1 on 1 and raise my rates. Fast forward to now, and my eyes opened up years ago. Time is money, and i still do 1 on 1's. Now that i also do groups, i have eliminated 40 hour training weeks. I train maybe 20-25 hours a week. I have plenty of free time on my hands to travel, and do other things. I have the time to enjoy the money i make.

Congrads on the success. What 99% of trainers are you speaking of?
    It's a good thing to have your own business, be your own boss, have money coming in, and have others paying you for space, but it's not a good thing to train 80+ hours a week in the long run. Repetitive 80 hour training weeks will take it's toll on your health. It will catch up to you.
    Which is why i'm preparing a manager to take some of my hours away. Eventually I will just train my extremely wealthy NYC clients while the manager takes care of the facility itself.

I agree with you on the longterm effects of working these hours however I also understand that I need to be dedicated to be something special. It's already paying off so i'll keep it going as long as I feel good about it. Once I start to feel it eating away at me i'll have to compromise some hours, etc.

As for the 99% of trainers I speak of the ones who simply stay in open gyms and don't do anything more, never taking anything into their own hands and never breaking 6 figures doing it.
    Last edited by SageFit; 02-19-2010 at 12:13 PM.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

www.sagefit.com

I do agree with the group training. Its such a viable and smart thing to do. I used to have the "no i only want to do private 1 on 1 PT" but thats all changed. You need to realise that you can acutally help A LOT more people this way as not everyone has big $$ to spend on private training.

Sure I COULD make $80/hr training a one on one client ORRRRR i could run niche group sessions for anywhere between $150-$350