Polly_Galore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question HELP: Stubborn leg fat!

Ok. I have been eating clean for about 3 years now, lifting [3-day split] that I vary every 6 weeks, doing various cardio 2-5 times a week. My calorie intake varies according to whether or not I need to lose weight. I try to stay under 120 lbs when bulking. Sometimes, I manipulate my nutrients (ie. do low carb or medium carb).

I am 5' and 3/4" tall. I currently weigh 118lbs.

FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I cannot lose fat on my legs. If I run 4 miles a day, I get more lean muscle on my legs, but not less fat. I lose fat on my upper body only. I lose fat in my face, boobs, stomach, arms, etc., and look sickly.

Is it water on my legs and not fat possibly?

I have been eating testosterone supporting foods because I heard that estrogen is responsible for storing fat in the lower extremities. I don't want to tax my organs by taking a lot of supplements, so I take the basics x1 a day (multi, vitamin D3, glutamine, arginine, EPA/DHA, adrenal support and DIM).

What am I doing wrong? Am I just genetically doomed to have fat on my legs? I tried training my legs hard by building muscle with squats, etc., in hopes that more circulation to the muscles would help release the fat cells, and it just made the muscles bigger with fat sitting on top. I have the most stubborn fat on my legs it is unbelieveable.

I could feed 4 children in a famine with the fat on my legs.

PLEASE let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you!!

onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How varied is your weight routine?

Originally Posted by Polly_Galore View Post
    Ok. I have been eating clean for about 3 years now, lifting [3-day split] that I vary every 6 weeks, doing various cardio 2-5 times a week. My calorie intake varies according to whether or not I need to lose weight. I try to stay under 120 lbs when bulking. Sometimes, I manipulate my nutrients (ie. do low carb or medium carb).

FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I cannot lose fat on my legs. If I run 4 miles a day, I get more lean muscle on my legs, but not less fat. I lose fat on my upper body only. I lose fat in my face, boobs, stomach, arms, etc., and look sickly.

I have been eating testosterone supporting foods because I heard that estrogen is responsible for storing fat in the lower extremities. I don't want to tax my organs by taking a lot of supplements, so I take the basics x1 a day (multi, vitamin D3, glutamine, arginine, EPA/DHA, adrenal support and DIM).

What am I doing wrong? Am I just genetically doomed to have fat on my legs? I tried training my legs hard by building muscle with squats, etc., in hopes that more circulation to the muscles would help release the fat cells, and it just made the muscles bigger with fat sitting on top. I have the most stubborn fat on my legs it is unbelieveable.

Donna
    "be true to yourself and your goals, set them at a level you can reach"

Doesn't have bulky legs halcyonnwar's Avatar
    halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000)

do you have an idea of your overall body fat percentage?

what are overall testosterone supporting foods? Curious.

May want to check out Lyle Mcdonald's Stubborn Fat Solution. his forums talk about using that book for leg fat a bit.
    "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey"
    -Kenji Miyazawa

Should be Mandatory Reading: http://www.stumptuous.com/honesty-is-the-best-policy

wjp09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can't spot reduce. With those measurements you seem pretty fit.
    You will never be able to have 0% body fat and your legs might just be where your body is choosing to put it.

My weight routine is pretty varied. I change the exercises every 6 weeks and make sure that I work out arms, torso, legs on separate days. I have a lot of problems with my spine so I am not able to do certain exercises such as military presses with anything more than 20 lbs, so there is some limitation in my routine, but not much. I try to come at the muscles from various angles.

It is hard for me to gain muscle up top too. My legs seem to gain muscle really easily though.

The only thing that helps me to look better on my legs is a low carb diet, but I don't get the kind of definition I am looking for unless I also starve myself, thereby making my face look drawn.

Lipo must be the answer! Ha!

Originally Posted by halcyonnwar View Post
    do you have an idea of your overall body fat percentage?

what are overall testosterone supporting foods? Curious.

May want to check out Lyle Mcdonald's Stubborn Fat Solution. his forums talk about using that book for leg fat a bit.
    I will check out Lyle's book. Thanks!

I have not measured my overall body fat in a while, so I don't know.

Testosterone supporting foods are:
    cruciferous vegetables (a chemical in them block estrogen production to a certain degree)
    flax seed (lignans attach to estrogen and pull it out of the body)
    red meat
    potatoes
    chicken
    walnuts
    peanuts
    pumpkin seeds (high zinc - zinc supports testosterone production)
    fish (high zinc - zinc helps to support testosterone production)
    dairy
    almonds

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000) thepowerwithin is a name known to all. (+5000)

I can relate

Weill, your post could have very well been written by me. It's exactly my problem. I am very lean from the waist up, with most of my fat on my butt and back of thighs. Once in my life, I got down to about 115 lbs and had no butt/thigh fat and was pretty happy with my physique. Presently, for me, at my current BF%, no matter how much I try to "target" that area with the proper exercises, I cannot elminate the fat. I can feel the hardness, but it is under a layer of very stubborn fat. For me, it comes down to diet.

In looking at your AVI, our physiques are pretty similar. When I begin to drop below 125, I often hear, "OMG, you are so skinny. Please don't lose any more weight." Of course, they are looking at my face and can't see the butt/thighs. For me, too, weight loss first shows in my face (and I am 45, so I have to watch that), arms, chest, abdomen, hips, back, BUT NOT THE ASS/THIGHS!!

For now, I am continuing to eat at deficit in hopes of lowering my body fat, and then I will assess what's more important to me, a full face or a nice butt. I could always gain some weight back if I am terribly unhappy with the results. After I reach my body fat goal (it has to eventually happen), I plan to slowly bulk. But first, I gotta deal with the stubborn fat.

I do track calories and macros religiously. Without doing so, I would be lost. I also weigh/measure everything.

This is just my experience. It may or may not apply to you. Just thought I would share. Good luck, I certainly "hear" your frustration.

halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000) halcyonnwar is just really nice. (+1000)
    I will check out Lyle's book. Thanks!

I have not measured my overall body fat in a while, so I don't know.

Testosterone supporting foods are:
    cruciferous vegetables (a chemical in them block estrogen production to a certain degree)
    flax seed (lignans attach to estrogen and pull it out of the body)
    red meat
    potatoes
    chicken
    walnuts
    peanuts
    pumpkin seeds (high zinc - zinc supports testosterone production)
    fish (high zinc - zinc helps to support testosterone production)
    dairy
    almonds
    From your photo, it is hard to tell, but you don't look like you're below 20% body fat (neither am I, so don't take that the wrong way). If you reduce overall body fat, you'll eventually reduce the body fat in your lower body.

You don't look that strangely proportioned to me in the photo, like, your legs don't look big to me, and your upper body doesn't look sickly or super lean in comparison. Maybe this isn't a current photo?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think you should just reduce overall body fat before you start worrying that the lower body fat is especially stubborn.
    -Kenji Miyazawa

Should be Mandatory Reading: http://www.stumptuous.com/honesty-is-the-best-policy

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One has to be in the 15-17% body fat range to use Stubborn Fat Solution.

Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    One has to be in the 15-17% body fat range to use Stubborn Fat Solution.
    Yeah, I recommended it before I'd really looked at the photo. I estimate like mid twenties??? but it is hard to tell.
    -Kenji Miyazawa

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, I recommended it before I'd really looked at the photo. I estimate like mid twenties??? but it is hard to tell.
    Honestly with the stats like this (and I'm not trying to be offensive) unless a person is exceptionally muscular, she is carrying quite a bit of body fat. I am 5'4, 119 pounds (estimated body fat 18-19%), have some muscle base and still carry body fat in my legs, although it has become heaps better due to heavy weight training and good diet. Unfortunately, for pears to see improvement in the leg department, we have to be under 20% body fat, 17%-18% is probably where the legs will look pretty decent.

Honestly with the stats like this (and I'm not trying to be offensive) unless a person is exceptionally muscular, she is carrying quite a bit of body fat. I am 5'4, 119 pounds (estimated body fat 18-19%), have some muscle base and still carry body fat in my legs, although it has become heaps better due to heavy weight training and good diet. Unfortunately, for pears to see improvement in the leg department, we have to be under 20% body fat, 17%-18% is probably where the legs will look pretty decent.
    Agreed. I tend to hold fat in my lower abdomen, my arms and legs will look leaner than my midsection first, but yeah, to the original poster, you should focus on your diet and get down to a lower body fat before you worry too much about where the fat is located.
    -Kenji Miyazawa

nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The only thing that helps me to look better on my legs is a low carb diet, but I don't get the kind of definition I am looking for unless I also starve myself, thereby making my face look drawn.
    This is interesting - starving yourself will make your body eat muscle, so I don't see how you can see better definition while starving. Whenever I starved myself, all I got was skinny fat - a smaller version of my fatty, lumpy self.

If you want to lose fat the only way is to burn more calories than you eat. Plain and simple. You can dictate where the fat comes off of first - it may just be that your legs are the last place your body wants to drop fat. Some people drop fat lastly in their abs, others around their butt, we're all different. But if the calories are in the right range, you should see fat come off everywhere.
    Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm a peanut butter addict...

I do this because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) EricaJuneBaby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am the same way, my upper body is always quick to lean out and I can see deffinition there quickly, but my bum still stays really soft even though it doesn't "look" fat in clothes I look proportioned but in a bathing suit i am so self conscious..
    The only time i liked my legs was when i was 118lbs and at my height that's too light, my upperbody looked skeletal. Though I am sure my bodyfat was pretty low and that's why (i wasn't weight training then so it didn't look good aside from my legs) but I really do want lean legs and a perky round bum I am not looking for big quads (is it possible to work your bum heavy and not quads?) and I do want nice shapely defined calves, without weight training mine have no shape at all and make my ankles look thicker..

I agree! I need to lose more body fat for sure! However, when I do, I lose weight in my face, boobs, abdomen, etc. first which makes me look sickly. I have been down to 110 before and look like a heroin addict from the waste up....but my legs looked better.

I am curious to know if this is for hormonal reasons that I can change with diet...hence the purpose of the post. I may just need chemicals or lipo to change my genetic disposition.

I will never take chemicals though, and lipo scares me.
    Last edited by Polly_Galore; 02-18-2010 at 01:54 PM.

kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by nunu713 View Post
    This is interesting - starving yourself will make your body eat muscle, so I don't see how you can see better definition while starving. Whenever I starved myself, all I got was skinny fat - a smaller version of my fatty, lumpy self.

If you want to lose fat the only way is to burn more calories than you eat. Plain and simple. You can dictate where the fat comes off of first - it may just be that your legs are the last place your body wants to drop fat. Some people drop fat lastly in their abs, others around their butt, we're all different. But if the calories are in the right range, you should see fat come off everywhere.
    ^^^This is what I was thinking---- skinny fat. I can tell when my calories drop too low because I start holding on to more fat. Mostly around my hips. track your calories and make sure you are eating enough. Don't starve yourself- that's just silly! Food is too yummmy!

Time to start building... norinicole's Avatar
    norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    From your photo, it is hard to tell, but you don't look like you're below 20% body fat (neither am I, so don't take that the wrong way). If you reduce overall body fat, you'll eventually reduce the body fat in your lower body.

You don't look that strangely proportioned to me in the photo, like, your legs don't look big to me, and your upper body doesn't look sickly or super lean in comparison. Maybe this isn't a current photo?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think you should just reduce overall body fat before you start worrying that the lower body fat is especially stubborn.
    This.

I agree! I need to lose more body fat for sure! However, when I do, I lose weight in my face, boobs, abdomen, etc. first which makes me look sickly. I have been down to 110 before and look like a heroin addict from the waste up....but my legs looked better.

I am curious to know if this is for hormonal reasons that I can change with diet...hence the purpose of the post. I may just need chemicals or lipo to change my genetic disposition.

I will never take chemicals though, and lipo scares me.
    This is how I lose fat as well. Top to bottom. I would try eating a diet that promotes fat loss, and just keep at it until you lose the fat from your legs. Then you can decide if that's the look you want.

Remember that the lower you get your bodyfat, the harder it is to drop.
    Mrs. Hessunit as of May 11, 2013

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am the same way as well and what was suggested to me what to build more overall muscle in your upper body as wells as your lower body. That way when you lean out you will look more proportionate.

I am the opposite of you OP, my arms and legs lean out before my abs, but what we have in common, the face.... My face loses weight first and I look more sickly. I started taking more fish oil and taking better care of my skin to keep myself looking healthy as I lose fat.

I think what Linds said was right. You should build muscle in your upper body.
    -Kenji Miyazawa

I am the opposite of you OP, my arms and legs lean out before my abs, but what we have in common, the face.... My face loses weight first and I look more sickly. I started taking more fish oil and taking better care of my skin to keep myself looking healthy as I lose fat.

I think what Linds said was right. You should build muscle in your upper body.
    I will build more muscle in my upper bod then. Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice everyone!!

-Polly

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As you see this is a common problem with many women. The area that fat stores in first is the area it comes off of last. Building muscle is your best friend the more of it you have the higher your calorie requirements will be. Severe diets will eat your muscle mass causing the opposite reaction, lowering your caloric requirements.

realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) realworldgirl has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I know the feeling

I will build more muscle in my upper bod then. Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice everyone!!

-Polly
    I know the feeling. Low carbs, intermittent fasting, workout cycling, avoiding sugar and lots of sodium, etc. is the only thing that works. I would seriously recommend "The Thigh Gap Hack" book (everything I mentioned above is in the book and more. you don't need to want a thigh gap for it to help)

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by realworldgirl View Post
    I know the feeling. Low carbs, intermittent fasting, workout cycling, avoiding sugar and lots of sodium, etc. is the only thing that works. I would seriously recommend "The Thigh Gap Hack" book (everything I mentioned above is in the book and more. you don't need to want a thigh gap for it to help)
    Way to bump a nearly 4 yr old thread.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

joanamoreira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Me too!