krystalh18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

4 years of lifting, not seeing many results

For the past four years or so I have been lifting consistently and tracking my nutrition. Before that I lifted as well but not as consistently (I also played sports...highschool soccer etc and have always been very active).
    I usually lift 5 days a week (sometimes 4 and sometimes 6 depending on my schedule) for an hour to an hour and a half and alternate between leg/glutes and arm days. I also do 10-20 minutes of walking inclined treadmill after my workouts.
    As far as nutrition, I count my macros and tend to eat the same thing every day for the most part because it is easy and I like the food I eat (oats, egg whites, low sodium black beans, whole grain rice, chicken, broccoli, etc.).
    My macros are: 1900 cals (maintaining right now)
    55% C/30% P/15% F
    I was seeing some progress about a year ago and even this past summer but not what I feel like I should be seeing for being so consistent and dedicated to my workouts/fitness. Also, these past few months I feel like I have backtracked even though I haven't changed my nutrition or exercise routine. Somehow, I have gained seven pounds in the last two months (which is a lot for my size-- 5'1" and now 97 lbs after gaining the weight) and have been extremely stressed out with nursing school and barely getting any sleep so that may also be a factor.
    My doctor thinks I may have hypothyroidism so I am getting a blood test for that this week.
    If my test comes back negative for that, does anyone have any recommendations on what I could improve to start seeing more results? I feel like I've been working so hard for nothing and it's very discouraging.

cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I went through a period of time in which I felt like I was basically "spinning my wheels"...i.e. felt that I didn't have the body that reflected all of the work that I put into it.
    You need to check with yourself - is it mental? Look at how far you've come. If you've been progressing in your lifting, you're definitely doing something right.
    Saying that you alternate between leg and arm days and have been doing this routine for quite some time appears to be the glaring issue here. You may make some progress with that routine for a short time, but definitely not for long, especially with a split like that running for 4 years. You should really be focusing on working every muscle group - back, abs, hams, quads, biceps, triceps, etc - and not just the ones that you feel are more important.

At this stage I'd recommend looking at revamping your split. Look at Starting Strength, or something to get you doing more well-rounded lifting. That alone should really help you.

Also as a side note, 97 lbs at 5'1 is still tiny. I am a full time student and work as well so I can relate to that stress. It's all about time management, including when to take a rest some days.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Change your training. 1) You didn't mention training your torso at all. 2) The more you do 1 routine, the less effective it becomes over time, RBE. You need periodic changes or else you stagnate. If you've been doing the same thing for over a year, it's time to change.
    3) I would start with an upper/lower, so that you always have 4 training days a week. This way, you don't have to wonder if you'll make all your days since your schedule varies. 4) Check out this routine.

More food. If you're not gaining weight, you won't be able to build anything. I would try to gain at least 1lb/month for the next year. I would also stop thinking about macros in percentages and start making sure you're hitting your daily minimums, at least .8g/lb protein, .4g/lb fat and make the rest whatever you want.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are 19, so this means you were lifting and making progress between 14-18, is that right?

So the progress you were seeing had a lot more to do with your grown from child to adult, going though puberty and all, than anything specific about your routine. (although the lifting gave you a nice muscle base I bet).

Now you just switched to an entire different lifestyle in college, seeing the typical Freshman 15 (which could still be normal growth into adulting) with lots of adult stress and different possibly sleep patterns and all.

So I guess your changes are entirely normal for this transition and you will slowly adjust to your new adult body. (although doctor's tests can never hurt so do what he says).

I also think (like said above) that going back to basic (3 x week compound lifts program with cardio as you like) will benefit you. You may need to recalculate your macros and see where you are at now - you cannot compare now with high school.

Good luck and hang in there! Transitions are hard.

(And WTG on nursing school. My mom is a retired nurse and I have to most respect for you guys!)
    ** Marie **
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom." - Jim Rohn

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157469793