ir0ndiam0nd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lat Pulldown - can't get the bar down

I only weigh 140 lbs and I can't get the bar to come down anymore. I know I can lift more weight but I am just not heavy enough to bring the bar down into position. Has anyone else ever ran across this problem? What did you do? Thanks.

Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try using a weight that you can get down with good form and then progress from there.

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    um thats what the leg pads are for, to lock you in.
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bonglebear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    um thats what the leg pads are for, to lock you in.
    this.

but if you don't have the equipment then try doing wide arm pull ups, i find these much better for hitting my lats. of course it's a personal preference and what works for me might not for you.

tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bonglebear View Post
    this.

but if you don't have the equipment then try doing wide arm pull ups, i find these much better for hitting my lats. of course it's a personal preference and what works for me might not for you.
    this is true. i would do the pullups since your dilemma clearly indicates you can do more than a few. and add weight to your belt.

problem solved by switching to a slightly better exercise.

ir0ndiam0nd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tenk_immortals View Post
    this is true. i would do the pullups since your dilemma clearly indicates you can do more than a few. and add weight to your belt.

problem solved by switching to a slightly better exercise.
    Ok I'll try out the weighted pull-ups. What makes pull-ups better than the lat pulldown?

Oh and the machine at the gym I go to, you can't reach the bar while sitting, so the leg think doesn't help me to bring it down.
    Last edited by ir0ndiam0nd; 02-14-2010 at 12:09 PM.

tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50) tenk_immortals will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ir0ndiam0nd View Post
    Ok I'll try out the weighted pull-ups. What makes pull-ups better than the lat pulldown?
    well they hit the same muscle groups. they hit lats primarily and bunch of other back stuff.

one reason i would give is form. many people on the lat pulldown screw up by:
    a. leaning back so they can do more weight
    b. don't bring the bar down enough

while doing pullups with good form is easier to manage. make sure you go all the way down to a dead hang before each rep.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have someone help you bring it down until you lock your legs in place.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000) lotus_esprit5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Agreed, switch to pull-ups. I had the same problem. I was doing more than my bodyweight on lat pull-downs and would have to jump and hang on the bar to get it to come down far enough for me to sit down. I switched to weighted pull-ups and haven't gone back. Pay close attention to strict form though.

tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Have someone help you bring it down until you lock your legs in place.
    This

DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSilent1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tobyow View Post
    This
    sounds to me though, that he is trying to use to much weight on the lat pulldown. so much so that he can't even get sat down to get his legs under the pads.

OP, If your determined to do lat towers instead of WG pullups, you are going to have to check your ego bud and drop the weight. There is nothing wrong with building up to using heavier weight.
    Rep 4 Rep.....u rep me I rep you back.

"I'm not making a banana bread, pastrami, cottage cheese sandwich, that would severely ruin my reputation" -Mitch Hedberg

OH-IO GO BUCKEYES

s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) s2814fun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ir0ndiam0nd View Post

Oh and the machine at the gym I go to, you can't reach the bar while sitting, so the leg think doesn't help me to bring it down.
    Pull the bar down till you can reach the bar while sitting and put the pin in.