VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz

"What gets measured...gets done."

I posted this in my Journal, but upon recommendation am throwing it out into the O35 forum. Just a random observation....

"What gets measured... gets done"

One of the most effective tools for improving anything is to measure it. When you continually track a certain measure, you keep your focus on it and will improve. However, without a "yardstick" for gauging your progress, you'll never be entirely sure if you are getting anywhere. Just as importantly, you won't know when things are slipping.

The things you choose to measure will dictate what you are likely to improve, since it's those things you'll be most focused on. It has long been known that in business that "what gets measured gets done".

If you are running a manufacturing operation and need to improve your efficiency, then you need to establish criteria for efficiency, and then measure those criteria continually. For example, you might measure the number of labor hours required in order to produce a certain part. If you continually work to reduce the number of labor hours, then you'll increase your efficiency, becoming more profitable. You'll also know when something has gone wrong, and be able to quickly correct the issue.

However, many companies either fail, or least get off track, but measuring things that on the surface only seem to be the goal, like number of units sold or number of labor hours per part. But companies don't exist to produce XX parts, or have XX labor hours per part. They (generally) exist to produce profit. So profit is the goal. Profit is the main measure. But since that's not always able to be measured daily, or even weekly, then the key components of what makes the company profitable (labor hours per part, number of units sold, cost per unit) get tracked on a daily or hourly basis. But those measures, in the end, are not the true goal.

In Bodybuilding, the principles are the same. You need to establish certain criteria and then measure them and track them in your journal. If you don't track anything, then you'll be a slave to your perception of how you're doing. You may know that your bench press is getting stronger, but fail to realize that your BB rows are weaker. You can't keep everything in your head. A journal is key to keeping track. If you document your progress, then you'll help keep yourself progressing while at the same time noting any fall-offs in performance so that you can make adjustments (such as increased recovery, altered rep ranges, etc.). Your decisions will be made using facts, not perceptions.

Naturally, we choose to track weights, sets, and reps. These are the most clear and measurable criteria we can use on a day-to-day basis. However, if you are training to be a bodybuilder, you need to think a bit deeper about the criteria you are measuring. Since bodybuilding isn't about how much weight you can lift, neither should the amount of weight you are lifting be your only criteria. In fact, if this is your only measured criteria, then it will be the only thing you'll be able to be sure is moving in the right direction. But what about your size? Your aesthetics? The symmetry of your development?

Since more weight lifted often equals more size, the two are used interchangeably for ease of tracking. But what you really should be measuring is size. If you are moving more weight, but aren't growing, wouldn't you want to be making different decisions about the direction of your training? If the only thing you were measuring was size, then all your decisions would be about optimizing that criteria. While impractical from a day-to-day standpoint, I'm sure you see the point.

When you sit down to establish your goals, make sure that you are finding a way to truly, accurately, measure each goal. Then track those criteria. If you then focus your efforts on keeping those measurements moving in the right direction, and making your decisions upon the data, you'll be much more likely to achieve your goals.

What gets measured...gets done.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is my whole montra....in life.....and in my business!!!!

Great post my friend!!!! Right on the money!!!

Mike

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

I agree 100%, which is why the first day I walked into the gym in January I had my journal with me, and have brought it every day since.

Being an accountant, I have a good memory for numbers, but I agree it's nearly impossible to remember everything you do in the gym of the course of a week, let alone over the course of months.

The journal is your friend.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Good post, Vox. It always pays to mix in some common sense to a training routine.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Lemme tell ya sumthin.... palumboism's Avatar
    palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) palumboism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Im a creative free spirit.
    What you are suggesting would destroy my creativity

user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up

great post Vox
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever
    "Forged in Iron...Built to Destroy"

"To survive war......you've gotta become war"....John Rambo

Visit my journal......http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121852841

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by palumboism View Post
    Im a creative free spirit.
    What you are suggesting would destroy my creativity
    and could also increase your gains.

your choice.
    -

dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    heavy