Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by crouton View Post
    I haven't read everything so some others may have posted the same ideas.

As far as 2 households, why not cook ahead a couple of days and take them the extra meals? Like make 2 lasagnas and carry one to them. If you don't have a crockpot, get two - one for each household - and you can teach the older child how to use it. Do some very simple meals / casseroles and try to cook ahead for the freezer.

Some senior centers offer help with rides to appointments, so check with the senior center in your area. They may also have a meal delivery service for lunches. You may have to get home health care for her in order to check on her medicines and make sure everything is going well.

Could the kids that go to school take the bus instead of having you take them? Or can you meet with another parent that lives nearby and goes to the same area and arrange to take turns with a carpool? You drive their kids for a week and they drive your kids for a week?

I guess you'll just have to streamline as best you can for the next two months and try to plan ahead. Use some of the home health services as a respite for you because it sounds like you need some rest and a little time to relax as well.

I also work and homeschool so I know it can be difficult.
    Thanks I'm going to look into some of these options. Exp the seniors centers and stuff it would be nice her I'm sure not feel so dependent on one person!

My oldest does really well with homeschool. I have online school that helps fill in some. It's great.

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GnomusMaximus View Post
    huhuhuh....you said "snatch practice"....huhuhuhuhu.....
    LOL.. I say snatch and the boys 0n here giggle!

BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow you have a LOT on your plate!

Only a few suggestions. The meds are going to be really important. Depending on how sharp she is mentally, you may need to be in charge of those. If there are any strong pain meds, a 16 year old hopefully wont even know about them. Just get a couple of pillboxes that can be filled for the week. and give her a week's worth at a time -- then it will be a matter of a reminder call to take meds, if she sometimes forgets to take them. IDK, but my MIL takes vicodin for pain and I just wouldn't want a bottle fo that hanging out at a house with a possibly forgetful grannie and a possibly flaky 16 year old.

Meals -- preparing ahead like someone suggested is probably your best option. I guess if the 16 year old wants to eat, he will need to heat food up? Maybe monitor the situation at first to make sure she is actually being served dinner?

Is the house close to your gym, any of the kids' schools, etc. Almost plan a route on certain days, in a way that fits your schedule the best. There's only so much of you to go around, bottom line. I know this takes time, which is so precious now, but have you actually written up a schedule on paper or computer? Might help.

The days out are a great idea -- but will it mean YOU driving and picking up? On the one hand, she'll get out, be active, and maybe get a meal depending on the hours. But make sure the schedule fits with your kids' school schedule, etc. Don't know what the money situation is for her, but what about hiring a college student (like nursing aide or some helping profession) who may be able to assist and be a lot cheaper than the day out or a companion service.

Such a tough situation when parents and grandparents get so fragile -- Good luck!!!! You are a strong, smart woman and will come through this.

P.S. I guess they don't let you count sleep as work? It is recovery but prob hard to put on a timesheet!

mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikesplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Buy the book GOALS by Brian Tracy...used Amazon for about $5

I used to be just like you......not anymore!!!

Mike

Originally Posted by BestYearEver View Post
    Wow you have a LOT on your plate!

Only a few suggestions. The meds are going to be really important. Depending on how sharp she is mentally, you may need to be in charge of those. If there are any strong pain meds, a 16 year old hopefully wont even know about them. Just get a couple of pillboxes that can be filled for the week. and give her a week's worth at a time -- then it will be a matter of a reminder call to take meds, if she sometimes forgets to take them. IDK, but my MIL takes vicodin for pain and I just wouldn't want a bottle fo that hanging out at a house with a possibly forgetful grannie and a possibly flaky 16 year old.

Meals -- preparing ahead like someone suggested is probably your best option. I guess if the 16 year old wants to eat, he will need to heat food up? Maybe monitor the situation at first to make sure she is actually being served dinner?

Is the house close to your gym, any of the kids' schools, etc. Almost plan a route on certain days, in a way that fits your schedule the best. There's only so much of you to go around, bottom line. I know this takes time, which is so precious now, but have you actually written up a schedule on paper or computer? Might help.

The days out are a great idea -- but will it mean YOU driving and picking up? On the one hand, she'll get out, be active, and maybe get a meal depending on the hours. But make sure the schedule fits with your kids' school schedule, etc. Don't know what the money situation is for her, but what about hiring a college student (like nursing aide or some helping profession) who may be able to assist and be a lot cheaper than the day out or a companion service.

Such a tough situation when parents and grandparents get so fragile -- Good luck!!!! You are a strong, smart woman and will come through this.

P.S. I guess they don't let you count sleep as work? It is recovery but prob hard to put on a timesheet!
    She's not really on any pain meds. So at least I don't have to worry about that.

And it has been an enormous amount to take on, but it's also not a permanent situation so at least I can look forward to a little relief here soon! But aslo I would like to get a few things in place so when her daughter takes over being responsible for everything then ya know maybe some I can already have some things in place. LIke the senor center has a bus that will pick her up and center where she can spend some time everyday and they take care of lunch.. (believe it or not one of our miscers actually help me set that up)
    and a few other things..

Oh God if only naps were apart of my job!! That would be great!! (hint, hint in case the boss is reading.)

Apparently I should just not be allowed to drive under stress anymore!! Geeze.. just backed out and took off the paint job of someones car.. GJD.. no BJD..

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I didn't want to mention this, but the other day when I first saw this thread title I thought it was a suggestion to hit a girl.... I thought "wtf??"

Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    I didn't want to mention this, but the other day when I first saw this thread title I thought it was a suggestion to hit a girl.... I thought "wtf??"
    LOL,, well I didn't hit her on purpose..

Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GnomusMaximus View Post
    huhuhuh....you said "snatch practice"....huhuhuhuhu.....
    how old is she.. council on aging might be able to help some.
    what doesn't kill you,makes you stronger.

AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I worked and raised two boys on my own.

The crockpot is your friend. Cut up gobs of veggies or buy them cut up and packaged for you, the same goes for meats. Pop various combinations in the crockpot for stews, soups, etc.

One of my favorites was curried chicken and rice with veggies. Just put a whole chicken, salt to taste, a cup or two of brown rice, twice as much water as rice, some frozen veggies, and curry powder in the crockpot before you leave for work in the am. Put it on low and prepare for a feast by the end of the day. Delicious, nutritious, and a small amount of labor and time.

DoubleBigMac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    LOL, somewhat ditto here... except I was thinking it was "hit" as in "I'd hit it!"

Originally Posted by Tim Maloney View Post
    how old is she.. council on aging might be able to help some.
    She's 64. She's legally blind .. she can see some but not much. Diabetes..

Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    I worked and raised two boys on my own.

The crockpot is your friend. Cut up gobs of veggies or buy them cut up and packaged for you, the same goes for meats. Pop various combinations in the crockpot for stews, soups, etc.

One of my favorites was curried chicken and rice with veggies. Just put a whole chicken, salt to taste, a cup or two of brown rice, twice as much water as rice, some frozen veggies, and curry powder in the crockpot before you leave for work in the am. Put it on low and prepare for a feast by the end of the day. Delicious, nutritious, and a small amount of labor and time.
    Things have improved some, at least I find time to sleep now! Meals are still my biggest challange, because she and my nephew live in there own home now but I still have to cook for them, well her mostly. So I prepare alot of meals ahead of time that can just be heated up easily.

It's def less stressful not having everyone under one roof but a little more work, cause now I have two places to worry about and two families to feed.. but I'm managing everything.

Originally Posted by DoubleBigMac View Post
    LOL, somewhat ditto here... except I was thinking it was "hit" as in "I'd hit it!"
    Now that would have put me in a better mood! A little stress relief! lol