Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maglile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by txapn View Post
    lol /facepalm!

ur right... you get to be 220lbs at 5'10 and looking like this by 2,000 push ups a day!

well fullback already covered it but since it was directed at me i feel obligated to set the record straight!

i will repeat you will not develop effective strength and power (enough to compete with professional athletes atleast) by doing bodyweight exercises! and 2,000 of any lift would be them trying to focus on muscle endurance (not in an effective way) not power and explosivness!
    Originally Posted by Fullback7 View Post
    Nope I can guarantee you it didn't. Plus Tyson was on a lot of gear as well, reports are that he was using questionable "drops" during the Holyfield fight. Plus his training consisted of more than just pushups, and situps. Like I said I will bet a million dollars his power didn't come from just doing that... Especially at 2,000.

FYI, If "you're" going to call someone a retard, it might help if you used the proper form of you're. Just saying...

Also no offense, but have you ever checked out Dempsey's workout before? The guy was way ahead of his time.
    For all of u that think Mike Tyson used to lift weights during his prime when he was knocking out every mother****er you're one stupid mother****er. If y'all dunno nun don't talk about it. When Mike Tyson was 12 he was able to do 250-300 lbs **** loads of reps and a lot of sets. That's when he lived in **** and had no good food to eat and all that crap. When he started boxing all he did was body weight exercises but ****ing crazy body weight exercises. When Tyson came out of jail (Which was almost the end of his real career) he started lifting weights since he didn't have a proper trainer to train with and no one real serious about boxing he started lifting weights and lost most of his fights. If y'all dunno **** about boxing don't come on here giving ur bodybuilding crap and thoughts into boxing 'cuz obviously u dunt know what u talkin about. Matter of fact Tyson was one of those nature-freaks god gifted him with all that physique and power, he didn't need to work on those the only thing he gave a **** about was his speed because boxing is a sport where speed matters and yet he's known to be the hardest puncher of all time and quick as **** at same time. The picture that u guys posted of Tyson with that build is when Tyson got **** and it was 'cuz of weight training and not a proper trainer. Tyson did 2.5k situps with 25 lb weight on his chest every ****ing day. The only weights he lifted during his prime and afterwards was 30kg barbell to do shoulder shrugs to build up his shoulders since he was short and he was fighting bigger guys with longer arms. His punching power and **** came from heavy bag training. You guys can't compare no one to Tyson because he was naturally god gifted.. Best fighter that ever lived but the world ****ed his **** over. BTW for all of u fools blaming Tyson for using roids or w/e mawfukas he didn't need no roids or nothing the night where he won and afterwards he had urine test the urine test determined he's been smoking cannabis so the fight turned into "NC = No competition". Afterwards ppl figured out he was smoking with Tupac. The build u guys see in that is no boxer physique that's a ****ing beast physique. If u know **** about boxing you would know that's the point where Tyson started losing speed.

jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lol at retards saying you don't need to lift weights for boxing. Yes you probably don't need to IF you're mike tyson. Are you mike tyson? No. Can you punch as hard as mike tyson? No. Technique is extremely important but there is only so far it can take you when you can't bench your bodyweight or have zero leg strength. If you aren't a genetic freak you need to lift weights in order to compete with genetic freaks.
    Aesthetic goals: achieve doyouevenliftmode

blanch89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jcameron28 View Post
    lol at retards saying you don't need to lift weights for boxing. Yes you probably don't need to IF you're mike tyson. Are you mike tyson? No. Can you punch as hard as mike tyson? No. Technique is extremely important but there is only so far it can take you when you can't bench your bodyweight or have zero leg strength. If you aren't a genetic freak you need to lift weights in order to compete with genetic freaks.
    lots of boxers dont lift weight's,strength is not the most important factor in a fight by a long way, especially when that extra strength will put you up a weight class and force you to fight naturally bigger men.

i boxed since i could stand and always found it funny when of a summer these big meatheads would come to our gym to cross train,some of these lads were huge but even as a 9 stone 15 year old they were like target practice,slow,poor range of movement and poorly co-ordinated.

all show no go as they say.

Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000) Mrs Grudge is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jcameron28 View Post
    Weights do help, but I assure you there are a ton of boxers who cannot bench their own weight. If anything his training would only involve lower body and core, since that is where the bulk of your power comes from.
    Access the gun's off the earth axis
    Axis of evil, the eagle will leave your hat split
    Ruck flow is like "**** you, Gawd"
    I don't wanna rhyme, I need a construction job

- Sean Price

Come at me! not (srs) EvolutionSic's Avatar
    EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by txapn View Post
    hmm....

thats false!

i dont know Pacs workout regimine but as for boxers... yes they do lift weights! but its focused on explosion and power! they start working on basic strength and when a firm base is established they focus on explosion!

you dont just get KO power by sit ups and push ups! im sorry but body weight exercises wont develop professional boxing power!
    Tyson never lifted in his early days, so your unaware.

Boxers mainly do body weight exercises rather then lift. press ups/sit ups/ skipping exc, u mad *******?
    www.space-champion.com

Star Citizen Brahs,

mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Mrs Grudge View Post
    Weights do help, but I assure you there are a ton of boxers who cannot bench their own weight. If anything his training would only involve lower body and core, since that is where the bulk of your power comes from.
    I agree for the most part... but I think it's probably a bit of a stretch to say most can't bench their own body-weight.

aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aussie101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by maglile View Post
    Best fighter that ever lived but the world ****ed his **** over. .
    A ridiculous statement. You'd find it hard enough to argue he was the best boxer ever.
    The rest of your emotional, rambling response need not be mentioned.

mortimer657 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow have i ever caught this thread late. A year late + in fact. However im going to wade in because to be fair a lot of people are missing the point.

I see two sides to this argument. I see a couple of ill informed guys touting that a boxer who isnt lifting weight will be vastly inferior to one who is. Which of course is wrong. And i see a Couple of misinformed guys saying that lifting weights is no good for boxers. Again, very wrong. If there is one thing that has ****ed up boxing today it is these tub thumping idiots who "insist" you either MUST or MUST NOT lift weights and dismiss the use of other training modalities. These people spend too much time obsessing over the "tool" to be used instead of the goal said tool is supposed to be used to aid achievement of.

Allow me to paste a little bit of info here:

"Notice how this article is entitled strength training and not weight training. There is a difference between these two phrases. Strength training involves the use of resistance exercise in the pursuit of increased strength. Resistance can come from several sources such as bodyweight (ex. pull-ups), free weights, medicine balls, odd-objects (ex. sandbags), and resistance bands. Each tool is simply a means to an end. No tool will guarantee results. No tool is better or worse than another. Each tool offers value if used correctly.

Many old-school trainers frown upon free weights, yet encourage bodyweight exercise. This is an illogical mindset however, as each form of training can produce similar results. Free weights are not better or worse than bodyweight exercise. There are many fighters who swear by free weights, while others prefer traditional methods such as bodyweight exercise. There have been successful fighters from both sides of the fence. To deny this fact is a demonstration of nothing more than ignorance.

Many old school trainers cringe at the thought of weight lifting, as their interpretation of this phrase is akin to bodybuilding. The phrase weight lifting causes one to automatically envision large, muscle-bound bodybuilders.

Let's get one thing clear...

A fighter has no business following a bodybuilding routine. Bodybuilding emphasizes aesthetics. The activity involves posing various muscle groups for a panel of judges. There is no concern for athletic qualities such as speed, power, and endurance. An athlete trains for function. A fighter will not gain points on the judge's scorecard by crafting a symmetrical pair of pectoral muscles. To compare strength training for a fighter to bodybuilding is like comparing a fresh orange to an artificial apple.

Please note that this is not a knock against bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is simply not the ideal strength regimen for a competitive fighter.
    3. What Is Strength?

Many critics of strength training for fighters do not understand the numerous strength qualities that exist. Strength is commonly described as the ability to exert a force against a resistance. This simple definition is not enough however. We must instead examine more specific strength qualities.

Maximal Strength - Maximal strength is defined as the amount of force that one can exert under voluntary effort. Max-strength is developed by lifting heavy loads, or through bodyweight methods such as isometrics and the use of strenuous rep-for-rep movements.

Explosive Strength - Explosive strength is defined as the ability to express significant tension in minimal time.

Vladimir Zatsiorsky, highly regarded sport biomechanist and former strength and conditioning consultant for the Soviet Union Olympic teams, has stated specifically that:

"The ability to produce maximal forces in minimal time is called explosive strength. Strong people do not necessarily possess explosive strength." (1)

Clearly, the development of one strength quality (ex. max-strength) does not guarantee the development of another (ex. explosive strength). This information may come as a surprise to many athletes who focus all of their strength work to one specific strength quality (ex. the athlete who only lifts heavy loads to development maximal strength).

Explosive strength is a critical strength quality for all competitive athletes.

Speed Strength - Speed strength is defined as the ability to quickly execute an unloaded movement or a movement against a relatively small external resistance. For example, working with a punch-out drill against the heavy bag would equate to the execution of a relatively small external resistance, as the weight of the glove is insignificant.

For more information regarding punch-out drills, please refer to the link below:

Intensifying The Heavy Bag

Speed strength is also very important for fighters. Unfortunately, many athletes train improperly, hence sacrifice this strength quality. For example, world-renowned sport scientist Yuri Verkhoshansky and colleagues established that:

"Excessive maximum strength training can impair speed-strength and technical skill in boxers." (2)

Strength Endurance - Strength endurance is defined as the ability to effectively maintain muscular functioning under work conditions of long duration. Strength endurance is a vital strength quality for any combat athlete. Power and speed are useless without the stamina necessary to apply these physical attributes throughout the contest.

And contrary to the opinion of many, free weights can be effectively used to enhance a fighter's endurance. For example, this routine offers a high-speed conditioning challenge, ideal for any combat athlete.

Bodyweight Exercise Is Excellent

Let it be known that bodyweight exercise can be used to effectively develop EACH strength quality. Although much of this article has referenced free weights, many world champions became world champions without ever touching a free weight.

Do not allow anyone to convince you that bodyweight exercise is ineffective. Bodyweight exercise can be made as difficult and effective as any other method of training. A simple display of gymnastics is living proof of this statement. There are bodyweight movements ideal for conditioning, explosive strength, and max-strength. Once again, the modality that you choose is simply a means to an end. "

^^^^ Those cut and paste gems certainly say it all.

Weight training, structured properly is a deadly effective "tool". However you certainly do not HAVE to lift weights to be a champion. Bodyweight training when structured properly is a deadly effective "tool". Both bodyweight training and weight training will never be able to address for a lack of skill, conditioning, heart, determination/grit and pure hunger to win and be the best you can be. Ray Arel and Mayweather Sr have both stated in the past that, since weight training has become a mainstream method of strength training for boxing they are seeing more and more supposed "top level" boxers gas out early". The modern heavyweight division in particular is an absolute shambles. I am not suggesting this is down to weight training but certainly is down to a "MISUSE" of STRENGTH TRAINING IN GENERAL, Weight training, bodyweight training or otherwise. All this talk of athletes being superior in the modern decree in part thanks to weight training is absolute bollocks. I see more boxers gassing early, being sloppy and looking sluggish than i seem to remember from when i was a kid. Weight training has benefitted the sport in many many ways but it has positively hindered it in others as far as im concerned. It's the misuse of weight training i refer to again here.

Emanuel Steward. Is he a **** coach for not advocating weight routines? Doubtful. He's cranked out some exceptional champions. When working with De La Hoya he famously sent De La Hoya's strength coaches home. He said he walked in and these guys had De La Hoya deadlifting weight. Steward states quite clearly during a recent interview that he threw them out. He said
    "The conditioning coaches are Okay as long as they are used my way. The majority of them have guys training as if they are training to be an olympic lifter. Powerclean this and snatch that. I was training with Oscar De La Hoya and he asked me to go around and see him at 7pm. He said there would be some strength trainers there. I got round there and Oscar is bent over trying to lift up god knows how many lbs of iron. I said 'what the hell are you guys all doing?' They got the weights from him and he shot past me and into his house like a kid who was in trouble. They (the strength coaches) said "well, Emanuel, according to what we read in a book, and such a study and my years as a strength coach, boxing is powered from the thighs and this muscle and that". They were trying to tell me all this complicated stuff. But you dont need ANY of that. Not in boxing. All this junk came from other sports like football (American football, not proper football that the rest of the world plays where you use your feet, i believe you call it soccer, you know the one all those queer fragile guys play and roll over grabbing their shins when they get tackled a la Beckham). Boxing is different. I told these strength guys to go home and that they were no longer required".

I am not for a second suggesting that, just because Emanuel is one of the greatest boxing coaches ever, that he cannot be wrong about something. But i for one take his opinion and hold it in high regard.

So to endeth the lesson. My take on it. Bodyweight Vs Weights......both work when used properly and given the choice i personally would never focus purely on one but use a mixture of both. Each is purely a tool, a means to an end and anyone who suggests that you cannot be a champion without the use of weights is clearly deluded and the same can be said for the tub thumpers on the other side of the coin (those that say if it is not bodyweight it is not worth jack). For an example of a display of strength using bodyweight only do a youtube search on "calisthenicskingz". Pesonally i dont train for aesthetics as this guy seems to....i am a boxer, so the aesthetic means nothing at all to me. I am not interested in pretty disco muscles or looking like Johnny Bravo and could not particularly give a flying f**k if "da biceps got a sick peak" or not. I've used weights with great success, i've used bodyweight with great success and i continue to use BOTH to this day. Bare in mind i didn't get started in boxing until i was 23 (i turned 30 back in may) so i dont have decades of experience to base my "self study" on.

TAKE AWAY POINT: Focus more on the goal and not the tool/modality used to achieve it.

Just my two pounds (4 ish dollars) worth.

Morti.
    Last edited by mortimer657; 07-03-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Also if there are any grammatical errors in my above post, do not worry about it. I certainly will not. I just do not have the time to put all the exclamation marks etc etc in the right place today. Got the in-law (mother) over. Joy. Anyone willing to take £250,000 cash to get rid?

DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    pretty sure i saw a video of tyson doing squats

^^ That he did. He also did push press and a myriad of other lifts im sure. As i've said i advocate both. Weights and/or Bodyweight training.

I am only taking issue with those that claim if a boxer is not using weights, he will never travel far in the sport and, again, tub thumping that weight training is the only method that will give the long term answers to a modern boxers goals.
    There is a young guy at our gym. He is from the wrong side of the tracks, or was. He was ALWAYS skint/broke when he joined the gym. What little he did have was taken up paying for his subs (boxing gym fee). He used low tech high effect training methods....bodyweight movements and the full myriad of variations that are possible with bodyweight training. He did well in the ABA ranks and has recently turned pro. He still refuses to lift weights (in the purest conventional sense of it, i.e iron loaded bars) and instead concentrates on odd objects, sandbags, empty beer kegs with varying units of water within and the like and the like. However only one day a week is dedicated to strength work and blends max strength with explosive/speed strength. Strength endurance is addressed through the week with various Integrated Circuit Training routines and heavy bag work etc. So far his record stands at, age 21, 6 fights 6 wins and 6 coming via way of KO.The vast majority of his training, as with all of us at the boxing gym we train at and fight for, is focussed on skill work and conditioning. After all what is the point of all this explosiveness and strength if we lack the conditioning and technique to apply it for the full distance.

The tub thumping from the "weights or bodyweight is the BEST way" camps is nearly as annoying as the camps who have their boxers using ONLY HIIT,fartlek, and other high intensity conditioning methods and have their boxer completely drop longer distance steady state work.

Again, just my 2 quids worth.

Morti.

iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Couldn't give a **** about the boxing debate. HOWEVER, to the idiot who is from the UK claiming that rugby players don't lift... Seriously?! You clearly haven't played rugby at a high level. EVERY pro union and league team in the UK has a full time S&C coach, and usually with a number of S&C interns too. THESE SESSIONS ARE MANDATORY FOR ALL PLAYERS. Also, the coaches usually extend their expertise to the academy and even younger at certain clubs. I know this because I have worked both as an intern and as a full time S&C coach for both league and union teams. If you still aren't convinced then look up Dr. Dan Baker and the Broncos and then tell me that lifting won't facilitate dominant rugby players.

Originally Posted by iSkinny View Post
    Couldn't give a **** about the boxing debate. HOWEVER, to the idiot who is from the UK claiming that rugby players don't lift... Seriously?! You clearly haven't played rugby at a high level. EVERY pro union and league team in the UK has a full time S&C coach, and usually with a number of S&C interns too. THESE SESSIONS ARE MANDATORY FOR ALL PLAYERS. Also, the coaches usually extend their expertise to the academy and even younger at certain clubs. I know this because I have worked both as an intern and as a full time S&C coach for both league and union teams. If you still aren't convinced then look up Dr. Dan Baker and the Broncos and then tell me that lifting won't facilitate dominant rugby players.
    Rugby is not my sport, sport. Boxing is. I know for a fact that every UK rugby team has a S&C coach and that their coaches focus on big compound multi joint movements such as clean and press, squats an the like and that they also implement alot of static-dynamic complexes. Your right the guy is an idiot for claiming that rugby players do not ALL lift.

However for me, im directing my comments at those claiming that, all boxers in this day and age use weights and that if they do not they will not be a dominating figure in the sport. Like i said....tub thumping bollocks. Both modalities work and work well when used correctly and to insinuate anything other than that is hilarious. Like i said, the worst thing to happen to the sport of boxing is the "one size fits all" individuals who think that, if a boxer doesn't use the method they push (talking those that are either side of the fence, weights only or bodyweight only) that its not going to work. Utter rubbish.

Rugby....American Football.....Football (i.e proper football, international football)....what they do is specific for them. Boxers need to address their own requirements.

Like i said, again, for boxing..weights work and bodyweight works..both are very effective when used correctly and tailored to the individual. Also as a side note, i really hate the crap about "modern boxers". Modern boxing is in a mess. Ross Enamait noted it himself. With all these "scientific" advancements in S&C Coaching boxers are gassing earlier than ever, we are seeing more and more muscle bound physiques and poor performances, due in part to poorly prescribed strength training routines. The heavyweight division in particular sucks more than ever with the Klitschko brothers and David Haye being the only real sparks of light there. I think before they get a hard on over modern boxers they should take a look at the warriors of yesteryear, Marciano, Ali and such. More heart than a cardiology unit and not a weight in sight. They just had time, guts, determination and the will to be the best there is. I would bet you top dosh that Marciano, god rest his soul, would be appalled at the shape of heavyweight boxing today.

Kostya Tszyu Used bodyweight only exclusively for years, as did cotto and quite a few others i can mention. Yes they TRANSITIONED into using weight and were prescribed SOLID routines and did extremely well from them. Again..BOTH MODALITIES WORK.

Morti.

bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowlie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    some boxers lift, others dont. im prety sure tyson did a powerlifting split at one point. he had a huge squat max. anyway others dont. most boxers have crazy genetics

Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bruce Lee lifted, and he was one of the quicket motherfukers who ever lived in terms of martial arts, boxing and all that kind of stuff. Haye lifts (I've seen quite a few pictures of him in gyms). I I've seen a video of Mayweather doing some form of benching (but speed benches, like quick with a submaximal weight).

Then again, you can also do just as well without lifting. Lifting is used to develop force, but once you can develop said force - the speed at which it's applied must be trained as well (rate of forc production) - the same principles apply with shot, discus and javelin. If you can bench 100kg, you're strong - but you might not be powerful. I'd imagine most boxers do lots of upper body plyos and of course speed with with bags, yes?
    COMPETITION BESTS:
    4kg shot - 13.70m
    5kg shot (U17) - 12.55m
    6kg shot (JUN) - 11.39m
    1.5kg discus (U17) - 32.60m
    1.75kg discus (JUN) - 29.70m
    5kg hammer (U17) - 30.49m (one turn)
    6kg hammer (JUN) - 27.03m (one turn)
    800g javelin (U17) - 20.05m

AGE - 15

Want a 16m 6kg throw by next year.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not sure where the idea of tyson did'nt lift. I just googled it and found a ton of info on tysons weightlifting program. I'm will to bet the rest of the athletes listed here lifted weights.

Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Willhu12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bignik92 View Post
    lol can't believe you just slated David Campese arguably one of the greatest players to ever grace a rugby field. He has a nephew Terry Campese who plays for Canberra Raiders.

He plays in the modern era yet David Campese would still dominate modern rugby. "He looks like a twig" I thought you played rugby? If so you'd no size doesn't equate into a good player. He didn't get 64 tries in 101 tests for australia through been 6ft and 245lbs. Not hating on you but just proving the point size means naff all in sport. If size and the ability to squat 600lbs mattered guys from the powerlifting section would all be internationals.
    Unless you're Jonah Lomu :P
    COMPETITION BESTS:
    4kg shot - 13.70m
    5kg shot (U17) - 12.55m
    6kg shot (JUN) - 11.39m
    1.5kg discus (U17) - 32.60m
    1.75kg discus (JUN) - 29.70m
    5kg hammer (U17) - 30.49m (one turn)
    6kg hammer (JUN) - 27.03m (one turn)
    800g javelin (U17) - 20.05m

AGE - 15

Want a 16m 6kg throw by next year.

Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000) Trogdor27 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    ive seen videos of him using kettebells if that counts

MagicDan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MagicDan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MagicDan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MagicDan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MagicDan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MagicDan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know for a fact Tyson did lift weight regular, A friend of mine was his sparring partner for a few years.

And whenever Tyson is in my city he usually still visits the gym i go to

He also buys his pigeons from my city LOL

armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Hurleyy View Post
    he's like 150 lbs soaking wet.
    None of those pictures of Manny are when he was in the Welterweight division, he's a lot bigger now.
    "If you are losing weight, you are going backwards in life."

Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000)

Question

I'm bumping a several year old thread!

Wanted to ask, do boxers do pullups? All the boxers I know do not do pull ups.........something I noticed
    Kill me. You must. For I will not stop.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Crazee_786 View Post
    I'm bumping a several year old thread!

Wanted to ask, do boxers do pullups? All the boxers I know do not do pull ups.........something I noticed
    they should.

Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've never really done pull-ups, I don't see the need really. The motion is something that is never replicated in boxing

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've never really done pull-ups, I don't see the need really. The motion is something that is never replicated in boxing
    You trying to tell me you dont need a strong back for boxing?
    "Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight ill ever know...
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day"

valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) valero90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MagicDan View Post
    I know for a fact Tyson did lift weight regular, A friend of mine was his sparring partner for a few years.

And whenever Tyson is in my city he usually still visits the gym i go to

He also buys his pigeons from my city LOL
    I see, there are a lot of sources online which say he has never lifted a weight in his life. Manny Pacquiao had to lift weights to get to his currently weight division

Originally Posted by amar654 View Post
    You trying to tell me you dont need a strong back for boxing?
    Might need a strong back for paki bashing, but not sure about boxing, that's my question you see.

a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    You are thinking too linearly. The world is not just A-->B-->C, it is often A+B-->D. Everyone should do pull ups.

Period.
    www.crossfit.com

TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    say what

a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by TheIronAsylum View Post
    say what
    Just because the pull up motion is not replicated in boxing does not mean you should not do them.
    www.crossfit.com

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Neither is running, but boxers seem to do a lot of that.