Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Cardio/fat loss from weights?

My knees are shot, and I have broken both ankles in my life. It takes me a few minutes to unstiffen and walk right just from sitting on a chair for more then five minutes. I can't run, or do too many jumping exercises. Free squats, done with no weights for reps are ok, but they mess up my knees as well. So, I am wondering, since I can't do too many "cardio" exercises, is there a way i can work out with weights and get some type of cardio out of it? I've been lifting pretty heavy lately, trying to build some muscle, as I have read that, since more muscle burns fat (speeding up your metabolism), I figure that would help me drop some fat. I know dieting is important as well, but from an exercise stand point, how can I turn my weight training into a bit of a cardio training routine as well?
    By the way, my goal is to get fit. I don't need to be a huge muscle man, or have a ripped body, so if lower weight and higer reps is the order of the day, I'm down with that as well.

Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bludgeoner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Gwrestler316 View Post
    My knees are shot, and I have broken both ankles in my life. It takes me a few minutes to unstiffen and walk right just from sitting on a chair for more then five minutes. I can't run, or do too many jumping exercises. Free squats, done with no weights for reps are ok, but they mess up my knees as well. So, I am wondering, since I can't do too many "cardio" exercises, is there a way i can work out with weights and get some type of cardio out of it? I've been lifting pretty heavy lately, trying to build some muscle, as I have read that, since more muscle burns fat (speeding up your metabolism), I figure that would help me drop some fat. I know dieting is important as well, but from an exercise stand point, how can I turn my weight training into a bit of a cardio training routine as well?
    By the way, my goal is to get fit. I don't need to be a huge muscle man, or have a ripped body, so if lower weight and higer reps is the order of the day, I'm down with that as well.
    I know it's not the exact answer you're looking for but have you tried using a rowing machine?
    Barbell Curls = everybody's favorite lower back exercise

KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Gwrestler316 View Post

I'm not sure if this will help, but have you considered using an elliptical? It was recommended to me after I ruptured my QL (muscle in your back) and strained my SI joint. Very low impact on the joints but an incredible cardio workout. Don't know about you though - your ankles may object since you are standing up the whole time. It did me such a favor that I bought a high-end one with my tax refund and have no regrets (a Life Fitness X7 Elite, or advanced or whatever it's called).
    I couldn't walk 2 blocks for 6 months before I HAD (as in not an option) to sit down. But I could do 20 minute workouts on an elliptical (at a geriatric pace). It helped rebuild the muscle tremendously.

rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What about lowering the weight, higher reps and no more that 30 seconds or so between sets? I would think that would get your heart rate up? More intensity so to speak?

Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000) Gwrestler316 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Tried the rowing machine, and it killed my knees.
    Elliptical machine? Hmm, I'll have to try that, as yeah, it does look pretty damn smooth.
    Will give the lower weight, higher rep, lower rest time out as well.
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.