txag07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

TXAG07's GST Journal

First off I just want to say that this program looks really solid and I can’t wait to get started. From what I’ve read, I’ve been nothing but impressed with Ryan himself, and the program he as put together. I’ve really only been back in the lifting game for about six months due to having constructive elbow surgery that required part of my hamstring. This was in October and I just now feel like I’m in good enough shape to hit the weights hard. I did a lot of researching and chose this program because I really to believe this program is top notch. If things go well, I might just have to drop a little change on that ebook.

GST Thread: forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121353501
    (Can't link yet)

Why GST?
    I see this program as being something that I can stick to for sometime, and continue to enjoy and make gains with it. My current routine has been similar in the core/supplement respect, but has not been structured (%’s, reps, etc). It helped get me in shape, but I am not getting stronger. Bring it on GST.

What I like about GST?
    1. I don’t feel that I will ever get bored with it. Ryan designed in so that the user is continually focused on a set goal. I believe this will motivate me to go at it week after week.
    2. AMRAP- A challenge is what keeps me going. I’m a competitive person, and see myself battling my numbers week after week. I also feel that this is the best way to build muscle/get stronger by pushing ourselves to a limit. This program does that, but not in an exhausting way where we can’t recover. Our bodies peak in this program and they never gets to a point of decline.
    3. Priming. I have always believed in this. Incorporating fast/slow twitch movements in conjunction with large lifts is great for conditioning and building strength. I once had an ex-University of Texas Football strength and conditioning trainer (also Romanian Powerlifter) train me with this same scheme in mind. It worked wonders for me strength wise and think Ryan is doing the same here.

I know I’ve already got a little wordy, so I’ll get down to business. I’ve only had time to read the first 20 pages of the thread, so if I’m missing some things, please feel free to comment. I will continue to finish reading the thread to get as much info as possible. I will be sticking with the basic layout and not get too complicated just yet, as I still do not know where my body is at as far as heavy weight is concerned.

Week 1 (This week) – 1RM test according to Ryan’s formula along with testing to see which supplements feel best for my first Macro.

Week 2- 1st Macro: Will be using 7 Day Layout with the following, I will of course be following the week-by-week micro set, rep, % as Ryan described

Workout 1: Squat Training
    Core: BB Back Squat
    1st Supplement: BB Front Squat
    2nd Supplement: DB Walking Lunges

Workout 2: Pull Training
    Core: Multi-grip Pullup
    1st Supplement: Flat Bench DB Row
    2nd Supplement: CG Seated Cable Row

Workout 3: Lift Training
    Core: Deads
    1st Supplement: GHR
    2nd Supplement: Rack Deads w/ Shrug

Workout 4: Press Training
    Core: Flat Bench BB Press
    1st Supplement: Dips
    2nd Supplement: Incline DB Press

This was just a basic outline of my work to come. I will be incorporating calves, abs, cardio, and WPT in with this. Just got to do a little more reading and see how I need to detail those out.

Today: July 26, 2010

Squat 1RM:

5 WU sets w/ Jump Squats
    1RM: 245*8=310
    Wow, I used to do a lot more than that. Hope GST is going to get me there. I was happy that my hamstring felt solid through all my lifts.

BB Front Squat 3*10

DB Walking Lunge 3*10 each leg.

Be back tomorrow with Press Day results.
    Current stack:
    ON Whey, Casein, Opti-Men
    Scivation Extend, Animal Flex

GST Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126331203

BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BoBByBouLders has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by txag07 View Post
    First off I just want to say that this program looks really solid and I can’t wait to get started. From what I’ve read, I’ve been nothing but impressed with Ryan himself, and the program he as put together. I’ve really only been back in the lifting game for about six months due to having constructive elbow surgery that required part of my hamstring. This was in October and I just now feel like I’m in good enough shape to hit the weights hard. I did a lot of researching and chose this program because I really to believe this program is top notch. If things go well, I might just have to drop a little change on that ebook.

GST Thread: forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121353501
    (Can't link yet)

Why GST?
    I see this program as being something that I can stick to for sometime, and continue to enjoy and make gains with it. My current routine has been similar in the core/supplement respect, but has not been structured (%’s, reps, etc). It helped get me in shape, but I am not getting stronger. Bring it on GST.

What I like about GST?
    1. I don’t feel that I will ever get bored with it. Ryan designed in so that the user is continually focused on a set goal. I believe this will motivate me to go at it week after week.
    2. AMRAP- A challenge is what keeps me going. I’m a competitive person, and see myself battling my numbers week after week. I also feel that this is the best way to build muscle/get stronger by pushing ourselves to a limit. This program does that, but not in an exhausting way where we can’t recover. Our bodies peak in this program and they never gets to a point of decline.
    3. Priming. I have always believed in this. Incorporating fast/slow twitch movements in conjunction with large lifts is great for conditioning and building strength. I once had an ex-University of Texas Football strength and conditioning trainer (also Romanian Powerlifter) train me with this same scheme in mind. It worked wonders for me strength wise and think Ryan is doing the same here.

I know I’ve already got a little wordy, so I’ll get down to business. I’ve only had time to read the first 20 pages of the thread, so if I’m missing some things, please feel free to comment. I will continue to finish reading the thread to get as much info as possible. I will be sticking with the basic layout and not get too complicated just yet, as I still do not know where my body is at as far as heavy weight is concerned.

Week 1 (This week) – 1RM test according to Ryan’s formula along with testing to see which supplements feel best for my first Macro.

Week 2- 1st Macro: Will be using 7 Day Layout with the following, I will of course be following the week-by-week micro set, rep, % as Ryan described

Workout 1: Squat Training
    Core: BB Back Squat
    1st Supplement: BB Front Squat
    2nd Supplement: DB Walking Lunges

Workout 2: Pull Training
    Core: Multi-grip Pullup
    1st Supplement: Flat Bench DB Row
    2nd Supplement: CG Seated Cable Row

Workout 3: Lift Training
    Core: Deads
    1st Supplement: GHR
    2nd Supplement: Rack Deads w/ Shrug

Workout 4: Press Training
    Core: Flat Bench BB Press
    1st Supplement: Dips
    2nd Supplement: Incline DB Press

This was just a basic outline of my work to come. I will be incorporating calves, abs, cardio, and WPT in with this. Just got to do a little more reading and see how I need to detail those out.

Today: July 26, 2010

Squat 1RM:

5 WU sets w/ Jump Squats
    1RM: 245*8=310
    Wow, I used to do a lot more than that. Hope GST is going to get me there. I was happy that my hamstring felt solid through all my lifts.

BB Front Squat 3*10

DB Walking Lunge 3*10 each leg.

Be back tomorrow with Press Day results.
    starting a new routine is always exciting, your right GST does look pretty solid, never tried it but i'll keep up to see how it does you and maybe i'll give it a shot, GL
    Bobby B :cool:

Double-T 2010 Transformation Challenge Log:
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123326561[/url]

▌Current Supplements ▌

Up Your Mass
    Body Tech: Creatine powder
    Animal Pak

Gain To 160. Start: 143 │■■■■■■■■■■■■■-│160

Current: 159lbs
    Need: 1 Lb
    Goal: Pack on 17 pounds of solid mass, maintain low bf.

Originally Posted by BoBByBouLders View Post
    starting a new routine is always exciting, your right GST does look pretty solid, never tried it but i'll keep up to see how it does you and maybe i'll give it a shot, GL
    BouLders-thanks for the reply. Yes, I am excited. I haven't had a good structured workout program in a long time so I expect good results. You look to be the same body type (similar goals) as me, so my progress should be a good indication for you. I will check the Logs in your sig to see how things are going for you.
    Current stack:

UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UniGlass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In for a fellow GST starter

subbed for later
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126272873

My GST log

Originally Posted by UniGlass View Post
    In for a fellow GST starter

subbed for later
    Uniglass- Thanks for subbin. I'll be checkin out you log too.
    Current stack:

Pull Day: 1RM

July 27, 2010

Pull Day: 1RM

Palms Facing Pullup: 3 WU sets (BW*8 reps) mixed with 4 sets med ball slams

1RM: BW*17 = 280 lbs

DB Flat Bench Row- 65 lbs-3*8

CG Seated Cable Row- 135 lbs-3*10

Stanging EZ Bar Curl- 80 lbs- 3*8

Overall Im okay with today's work. I'm a little disappointed with my 1RM, but I'll get where I want to be soon enough. I added the curls in at the end, b/c I felt I needed some bi work. I hope that when I start putting weight on in my micros that I will get a little more work out of the bi's then.

Tomorrow will be some cardio, abs, and stretching. My legs are killing me from Squat day. I know its from not really having worked very hard with real weight in a while and the Front Squat. Did I mention I love these. They work so well and I haven't done them in years. These will most likely be my core after a macro or two.
    Current stack:

Press day: 1RM

Yesterday, July 28-Off day
    35 min low intensity cardio (20 min fast walk, 15 min jog)
    3*10 BW squats-Trying to get rid of my sorness from squat day
    P90X Ab ripper
    Stretching

This morning, July 29

This was supposed to be my Lift day, but I realized that my effort was not going to be good with my legs still be sore, so I did Press day instead.

1RM: BB Flat Bench
    4 sets warmup with push-ups * 8 (did not do claps b/c shoulder was feeling weak, but did come off the ground with them)
    185*8
    205*6
    225*2
    1RM: 225*9=290 lbs

Now this seems pretty high to me, I seriously doubt that I can push up 290. I think my chest is just in good shape to do high reps. I actually got 10, but my spotter did a little too much I think

Dips- BW-3*10 I did the negative portion really slow on these to get a little more out of them.

Incline DB Press-45lbs-3*10

Will most likely get my Lift 1RM workout in tomorrow afternoon. Saturday is full, so I'm hoping that 36 hrs rest will be enough rest to get a good deadlift max.
    Current stack:

Lift Day

July 30- Afternoon Lift Day 1RM

Deadlift
    Jump Squats with the following:
    95*10
    135*8
    185*8
    225*6

For 1RM
    275*3
    1RM=275*4=310
    I could have done more, but seriously need to invest in some straps. It was impossible to hold on to the bar with my left hand. This the first time I have deadlifted in about 3 years. My form was decent, but my back was just killing me afterwards. It was a good pain though, like my muscles were breaking through skin, not back pain.

Rack Deads w/ Shrug
    135lbs-3*10

Hyperextensions
    BW-3*10
    Current stack:

1st Micro

August 3: Squat Day

5 WU sets w/ Jump Squats

WS: 2 Sets 185*8, last set 185*16

Front Squat: 3*16 85lbs

DB Lunges: 3*15 20lbs

Calves: Seated Calve Raise 3*20 70lbs

Legs were smoked after this. Probably the Best Leg workout I've had in while

August 4: Pull Day

WU: 5 Sets Lat Pulldowns w/ Med ball slams

WS: Palms Facing Pullups- 2*8 BW, last set BW*10

DB Rows: 3*15 55lbs
    CG Seated Cable Row: 3*15 115lb
    EZ Bar Curl: 3*15 60lbs

Overall pretty good day. Haven't done a high rep workout in a while and I was feeling great afterwards.
    Current stack:

1st Micro-Lift

Lift Day 1:

WU: 5 sets Deadlift w/ jump deadlift
    WS: 2 Sets 185*8, last set 185*16

Rack deads w/ shrug 3*15 145lbs

Hyperextensions 3*10 BW
    Current stack:

2nd Micro: Squat, Pull, Lift

Little behind on my logging, but here goes

2nd Micro-60-65%

8/9/10: Squat Day 2

BB Squat:
    4 WU sets w/ Jump Squats

225lb *6
    225lb *6
    225lb *8

Front Squat: 3*10 - 115lb
    DB Lunges: 3*10 - 30lb
    Seated Calf Raises: 3*10 90lbs

8/10/10: Pull Day 2

5 WU sets- Lat pulls

Palms Facing Pullups:
    +15*6
    +15*6
    +15*8

DB Row: 4*10 - 65 lb, 65 lb, 70lb, 75 lb
    CG Cable Row: 3*10 - 150 lb
    EZ Bar Curl: 3*7 - 80 lb

8/12/10: Lift Day 2

Deadlift:
    4 WU with jump deads

225*6
    225*6
    225*16

Rack DL w/ Shrug: 3*10 - 185 lb,205 lb,225 lb
    Hyperextensions: 3*10 - 10 lb

I felt great on Lift day. One reason is because I was fresh for the first time. I had been pretty leg/back sore after starting this routine and not having deadlifted in a while. On lift day I wasn't sore at all and my form was great. If you look at my last Lift Day you can tell how my I'm getting stronger quick and my body is getting used to deadlifting now. Last week 185 * 16, this week 225 * 16. The weight felt exactly the same. I can't wait till next Lift Day. Tomorrow is Press Day, and I am interested to see how it goes b/c I felt weak on Press Day last week.
    Current stack:

3rd Micro Squat, Pull, Lift and more

Update on some of my workouts:

3rd Micro-80%

8/16/10 Squat Day 3

BB Squat-
    4 WU w/ Jump Squat
    250*4
    250*4
    250*7

Front Squat- 3*16 - 85lb
    DB Lunge- 3*30 steps

8/18/10: Pull Day 3

5 WU sets- Lat pulls

Palms Facing Pullups:
    +45*4
    +45*4
    +45*6

DB Row: 4*15 - 55 lb
    CG Cable Row: 3*16 - 105 lb
    EZ Bar Curl: 3*16 - 40 lb

8/20/10: Lift Day 3

Deadlift:
    4 WU with jump deads

250*4
    250*4
    250*14

Rack DL w/ Shrug: 3*18 - 145 lb
    Hyperextensions: 3*15 - BW

Really happy with my Deadlift progress again. Can't wait to get a new max next week.

Some older logs I never posted - Press days

8/7/10
    1st Micro-Press Day 1-60%

BB Flat Press:
    4 set WU w/ pushups

185lb*8
    185lb*8
    185lb*13

Dips: 3*15
    DB Incline: 3*15 40lb

8/14/10
    2nd Micro-Press Day 2-70%