Closed Thread
    fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100) fastrunner is not very well liked. (-100)

Wink Can excessive weight lifting damage brain nerves?

At times, during Bench & shoulder Press, I want to push weights beyond my capacity.
    I wonder, can it be detrimental to some of the nerves in the body? What are pros & cons
    of pushing above limits?
    Thanks

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yep. All champion powerlifters are legally retarded.

Kidding. No, you won't get nerve damage just from lifting weights, even to failure. You can get CNS exhaustion, which is temporary, but not nerve damage.
    GOMAD!

NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not nerve damage but you can damage your body...So much weight puts a lot of stress on your body and it's bad for your bones. My friend/ coach for wrestling used to powerlift; doing over 500 bench presses and heavy squats....the doctor told him if he didn't stop he'd be eating out of a straw the rest of his life and be paralyzed...he was just putting way to much pressure on the plates in his back...

Registered User MiKeHendrycks92's Avatar
    MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiKeHendrycks92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by fastrunner View Post
    At times, during Bench & shoulder Press, I want to push weights beyond my capacity.
    I wonder, can it be detrimental to some of the nerves in the body? What are pros & cons
    of pushing above limits?
    Thanks
    gains and no gains
    Don't try to go to Heaven by backing away from Hell.

"Do ya thang man, **** what they lookin at"

Haters gonna Hate

Current Stack:
    Fish Oil
    Dymatize All Natural Elite Whey
    USPLabs JACK3D
    ON Opti-Men

Weight-180lbs
    Lifts- Bench: 225X3 touch, pause, press
    Squat: 375X1 ATG
    Deadlift: 475X3 perfect form and vids.

Huitzilopochtli commands Weightaholic's Avatar
    Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Weightaholic has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Only if you give yourself an aneurysm.

Been lifting for close to 20 years, and I'm still in full possession of my faculttttttttties.
    My personal pronouns are: Don't talk to me/Fck off

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by fastrunner View Post
    of pushing above limits?
    Thanks
    This can actually achieve better nervous efficiency.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NaturalRob View Post
    Not nerve damage but you can damage your body...So much weight puts a lot of stress on your body and it's bad for your bones. My friend/ coach for wrestling used to powerlift; doing over 500 bench presses and heavy squats....the doctor told him if he didn't stop he'd be eating out of a straw the rest of his life and be paralyzed...he was just putting way to much pressure on the plates in his back...

exercise is bad for your bones? really? because last i checked, weight training is known to increase bone mineral density.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19453205

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Maybe he means bad for your joints, which is more of a possibility once you get to really high weights. Most legitimate weightlifters are dinged up too. The alternative, physical inadequacy, is worse.
    GOMAD!

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yeah probably lol.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Hmm....My friend powerlifts. He Squats, Deadlifts, and Benches very heavy all the time, and the doc told him he's in GREAT shape, and to continue lifting heavy weight.

I think I'll go with this.^^^^

I'm not a powerlifter, but have been bodybuilding training for a long time. This includes Squatting, Deadlifting, and Pressing mostly in the lower (6-8) rep ranges. I've never had any training-related health problems. Never even been injured, actually. My knees, hips, elbows and even shoulders (with some age-related Arthritis) are in excellent shape.

I'm nobody special; I simply stick with warming up adequately, and always lifting with good form. I eat and rest adequately to support my training.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 01-17-2010 at 09:25 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

91brett91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 91brett91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 91brett91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 91brett91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    100% Myth

Chris Langan, the man with the world's highest IQ, was an ex bodybuilder.........

TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50)

yeah

I've always learned lifting weights strengthens your bones. Overtraining can lead to tendinitis and stuff like that, but I don't see where your coach got that from. Either way, how many of us are really going to be pressing 500+lbs on bench. I would like to be able to say I can someday, but I'm not a powerlifter so I'm not worried about it.
    "The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."
    -Arnold

derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 91brett91 View Post
    100% Myth

Chris Langan, the man with the world's highest IQ, was an ex bodybuilder.........
    x2

though it was actually the highest IQ in the USA.

optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Hmm....My friend powerlifts. He Squats, Deadlifts, and Benches very heavy all the time, and the doc told him he's in GREAT shape, and to continue lifting heavy weight.

I'm not a powerlifter, but have been bodybuilding training for a long time. This includes Squatting, Deadlifting, and Pressing mostly in the lower (6-8) rep ranges. I've never had any training-related health problems. Never even been injured, actually. My knees, hips, elbows and even shoulders (with some age-related Arthritis) are in excellent shape.

I'm nobody special; I simply stick with warming up adequately, and always lifting with good form. I eat and rest adequately to support my training.
    dam dude you're 61 and still lifting heavy? good job man
    **Eat lots and lots of birds. The smaller the bird, the more compact its protein content. Parrots are great sources for protein.**

NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post

exercise is bad for your bones? really? because last i checked, weight training is known to increase bone mineral density.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19453205
    I also forgot to mention that he was DLing over 600 pounds, try your normal max DL plus a little more and tell me how your back feels if you could even do it with proper form. Also please leave my age out of this...

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post

Well idk man, but i'm not sure it's normal to be lifting that much for one person. My coach was benching over 500lbs and DLing over 600 that's crazy! But because of it he was having back problems and had to have it checked out and he got the response from his doc that i mentioned above. Idk bout your friend though maybe when he pushes it too much...plus what about joints =/

Yea man like the guy above me..your 61 and still lifting awesome!!

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I also forgot to mention that he was DLing over 600 pounds, try your normal max DL plus a little more and tell me how your back feels if you could even do it with proper form.
    You are supposed to do every exercise with proper form.

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well idk man, but i'm not sure it's normal to be lifting that much for one person. My coach was benching over 500lbs and DLing over 600 that's crazy! But because of it he was having back problems and had to have it checked out and he got the response from his doc that i mentioned above.
    If the weights he lifted were "normal", he wouldnt be a powerlifter; he would have been your average Joe posting on bodybuilding.com

FWIW, the recreational non-competitive lifter isnt ever even going to be close to benching 500 lbs or deadlifting 600 lbs. So, OP, dont even bother thinking about excess damage etc. By and large, with the weights that you can handle, you are not likely to cause much damage to yourself provided you take adequate safeguards and use decent form.

And by the time you reach the stage when you are lifting f***ing ridiculous weights, you will probably know well enough how much your body can handle.

mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    heavy weights make it easier to blow a disk or two in your back, but then can happen even without any weights
    but i've never heard of anyone suffering brain damage