Closed Thread
    erahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is Whey protein the cause of my insomnia?

Ive been having sleepless nights for almost a week now. and At first i thought it was the hot summer nights thats making me toss and turn all through the night, but now i have a feeling its the whey protein powder i take 3 times a day (including 1 before bedtime) is whats causing the problem. Can anyone verify this? Specifically i take ON's Gold Standard chocolate flavour whey, dunno if the chocolate has anything to do with it, but ive eaten chocolate lots of times before and never had sleeping issues. If this is true, is there any other protein supp i can take?

wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wood.aaronj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by erahi View Post
    Ive been having sleepless nights for almost a week now. and At first i thought it was the hot summer nights thats making me toss and turn all through the night, but now i have a feeling its the whey protein powder i take 3 times a day (including 1 before bedtime) is whats causing the problem. Can anyone verify this? Specifically i take ON's Gold Standard chocolate flavour whey, dunno if the chocolate has anything to do with it, but ive eaten chocolate lots of times before and never had sleeping issues. If this is true, is there any other protein supp i can take?
    Yes...chocolate protein powder has been known to cause sleeping issues
    Sponsored Animal PM Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121279101

Sponsored App Nut Free Test/HGHUp Log (in progress):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127202263

UberFighter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hmm...

I would switch to a vanilla casein protein for before bedtime.

Team InnerArmour RatherBeLifting's Avatar
    RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RatherBeLifting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The easiest way to know is to simply stop taking it at night and see if your sleep improves.
    www.InnerArmour.com
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/inn/inn.htm

10 Tips for Maximum Athletic Performance: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hit-your-peak-10-tips-for-maximum-athletic-performance.html

SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It could be all in your head..Just sayin

Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Honkey_Kong is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Have you tried drinking a warm glass of milk? When I'm having sleep problems, it always works for me. Try getting the vanilla flavour for bed time and drinking the chocolate during the day. See if that works.

imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wat.
    akkxn - just lift heavy ****.

lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bringing this back...

I've been having the same problem.

I've seen quite a few threads pop up about this and many of them are related to ON whey protein, maybe there is a misc. ingredient not listed? Has anyone been able to find a link to insomnia and this product?

Been using ON chocolate for over a month and its been the worst damn month of sleep I've ever had in my life, I began thinking that something was seriously wrong with me but then I started searching and found that I'm not the only one...Just bought some Myofusion so I'm hoping that the switch will solve the problem.

PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lblizzie View Post
    Been using ON chocolate for over a month and its been the worst damn month of sleep I've ever had in my life, I began thinking that something was seriously wrong with me but then I started searching and found that I'm not the only one...Just bought some Myofusion so I'm hoping that the switch will solve the problem.

Are you taking any pre-workout/stimulant supplements?
    Driven Sports

DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DASBUNKER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    is whey protein the cause of my farts?... you bet

lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lblizzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PinchTheBear View Post
    Are you taking any pre-workout/stimulant supplements?
    I used to have a cup of coffee at around 8AM before the gym, but even after stopping my sleep did not improve.

kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I really doubt whey protein is causing the sleeping problems.

PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to have a cup of coffee at around 8AM before the gym, but even after stopping my sleep did not improve.

Hmm.. if that is the only caffeine you are having, I'm stumped.
    Driven Sports

Here's a couple other threads with people having the same problem if anyone is interested:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/whey-...somnia-315506/

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_onli...otein_insomnia

G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sucralose is thought to cause insomnia in some people.

lithium65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

aminos tryosine and phenylalanine are very stimulating

hello, whey protein contains the amino acids tyrosine and phenylalanine ( the product label should list the amount of each amino per serving) which are very stimulating. in certain individuals this can cause insomnia. i too experienced insomnia and discontinued using. at one point i was taking tryosine and phenylalanine supplements, without the whey protein, for depression but they were far to stimulating causing insomnia. you could try adding inhibitory amino acids gaba(Gamma Aminobutyric Acid), taurine and trytophan to the whey. i haven't tried this yet. you can purchase these in powder form from health food vitamin shops. good luck.

BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BloodyUge1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    BUMP: Having terrible sleep since taking ON Natural chocolate 1 scoop per day only at night. I have not had ANY other stimulants or diet changes. Seems to be the ON.

kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50) kardoxo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dont think whey causes this problem. Maybe dont take it right before sleeping.
    Myprotein's Official Bodybuilding.com Representative
    Europe's #1 Online Sports Nutrition Brand
    US Site: us.myprotein.com
    Rest of the world: myprotein.com

Fuel Your Ambition!

Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ive been having sleepless nights for almost a week now. and At first i thought it was the hot summer nights thats making me toss and turn all through the night...
    Tell me more, tell me more.

yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) yoojungl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's unlikely that would be causing it...
    MuscleTech Representative

*CountryMike Appreciation Crew*

DianaDenise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe you have tried drinking a warm glass of milk? Whenever I'm having sleep problems, it always works for me. Try getting the vanilla flavour for your bed time and drinking the chocolate during the day. Find out if that works.

DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DougyF7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Have you tried drinking a warm glass of milk? When I'm having sleep problems, it always works for me. Try getting the vanilla flavour for bed time and drinking the chocolate during the day. See if that works.
    Originally Posted by DianaDenise View Post
    Maybe you have tried drinking a warm glass of milk? Whenever I'm having sleep problems, it always works for me. Try getting the vanilla flavour for your bed time and drinking the chocolate during the day. Find out if that works.
    These posts are eerily familiar...

Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DougyF7 View Post
    These posts are eerily familiar...
    Six years apart.. twilight zone..

sidd04mech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Same issue

Bringing this back...

I've been having the same problem.

I've seen quite a few threads pop up about this and many of them are related to ON whey protein, maybe there is a misc. an ingredient not listed? Has anyone been able to find a link to insomnia and this product?

Been using ON chocolate for over a month and it been the worst damn month of sleep I've ever had in my life, I began thinking that something was seriously wrong with me but then I started searching and found that I'm not the only one...Just bought some Myofusion so I'm hoping that the switch will solve the problem.
    I had the same issue with the same Protine shake. 1st time I took it for about 1.5 months and having very bad sleeping issues where I was only sleeping for 2-3 hours a day. I tried many things and at the end when I stopped the gym and Protine shake it worked and I started sleeping again. To confirm this I tried it again twice and same thing happned againg. That convinced me that this protine shake is the problem. But I also know may friends that uses the same product but sleep well. I am not sure what is different with some of us.

But let me know if you found any other product that works for you.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sidd04mech View Post
    when I stopped the gym and Protine shake it worked and I started sleeping again.

That convinced me that this protine shake is the problem.
    Variables, what are they?

Strong thread necro BTW

Nikuuu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I m suffering from the same problem last night i take less amout of on whey protien ..... And full night i suffered.... Afraid of sleep...

AdamZapp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    put a blue light filter on your phone/computer screen, and turn the lights off at least 2 hours before you sleep, works everytime

chikachikaslim is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Same issue with specifically brand ON gold standard double chocolate

I also have been facing the same issue, before ON i was using muscleblaze raw whey but had no issue with sleeping but when i started this ON product slowly i became insomniac at first i thought may be my mind is the culprit fcking with me but at this site i came to know i m not alone ,if there is some mis ingredient this product should be lab tested again for this issue and should be tested with a variety of population to make sure what %of people get affected and why?
    P.s - i only used one scoop after my morning workout.

rash119 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

ON whey protein

Originally Posted by chikachikaslim View Post
    I also have been facing the same issue, before ON i was using muscleblaze raw whey but had no issue with sleeping but when i started this ON product slowly i became insomniac at first i thought may be my mind is the culprit fcking with me but at this site i came to know i m not alone ,if there is some mis ingredient this product should be lab tested again for this issue and should be tested with a variety of population to make sure what %of people get affected and why?
    P.s - i only used one scoop after my morning workout.

i am having the same problem, started using ON whey protein a week ago since then every single night wide awake, first i thought maybe its cause of pain in my muscles but after i realize its cause of whey. and now i find out i am not the only one. ON need to sort out this issue which having an effect on lots of people. i am having one scoop in afternoon.