Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is possible to get big with home gym?

Let's say I build a home gym with the basics (bb, dbs, bench, squat, chin-up, dip machine etc)
    so basically all my exercises would be done with free weights... no fancy machines... Is possible to get big? I know some of you will be talking about diets, etc, and I know that... I'm mainly concerned of reaching a plateau...

What you guys think?

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think the answer lies within jfindon's avatar......

Using free weights is THE way to get big. It doesnt matter if they are located in your basement or the commercial gym.
    I dont understand why you would think that free weights would slow you down with that goal or allow you to plateau. A fixed machine has more of a chance of that. You can always add weight to the bar, add weight to your pullups, dips....etc.

(and yes, you have to eat big to get big).
    Last edited by buffbrown21; 01-11-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10) fellipe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Can I start with something like this?? What more would you suggest me?

flat bench

adjustable bench (bench press)

support for bb squat

chin up bar

dip machine

buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by fellipe View Post
    Can I start with something like this?? What more would you suggest me?

flat bench

adjustable bench (bench press)

support for bb squat

chin up bar

dip machine
    You could consolidate #1 and #2 and just get an adjustable bench.
    GET A POWER RACK to do all your compound moves in safely (bench press, squat, etc) and it will have a chin up bar. Many of them either come with or have an attachment for dips.

So what I am saying is, power rack will cover nearly all your needs, just get a flat/incline/decline (adjustable) bench and then get an Olympic weight set.
    That will cover all the basics. After that you can add on other things as you need/desire (like dumbbells, for example).

I suggest you read the stickies at the top of the page as well.

www.ShankAZombie.com

The main muscles I'm afraid I wont be able to train 100% are the legs... Besides squats and deadlifts, what else can I do?

And power racks is the same as smith machine?

The main muscles I'm afraid I wont be able to train 100% are the legs... Besides squats and deadlifts, what else can I do?
    Why wont you be able to train your legs? Those two are the base for all lower body exercises (although some would say deadlifts work the back as much/more than the legs). Dont forget lunges either.

If you are used to leg extensions and leg curls at the gym, remember that many (most?) FID benches come with or allow you to purchase a leg roller adaptor to allow you to do those.

If you REALLY want a strong posterior chain, you could make your next purchase a glute ham raise. THAT will really blast your hams.

(dont forget the calves too).

www.ShankAZombie.com

so what disadvantages will I encounter by having a home gym?

E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not a regular in here but I'm thinking that the lats might be missing out? Unless there's a pulley attachment.

Registered User Tomthenewlifter's Avatar
    Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000) Tomthenewlifter is just really nice. (+1000)

Red face

Originally Posted by E77 View Post
    Not a regular in here but I'm thinking that the lats might be missing out? Unless there's a pulley attachment.
    But he got a chin up bar

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by E77 View Post
    pullups, chinups, bb row, db row, tbar row, etc., all huge movements for the back and can be done with a rack, barbell set and db set. your lats won't be lacking with that.

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by buffbrown21 View Post
    Why wont you be able to train your legs? Those two are the base for all lower body exercises (although some would say deadlifts work the back as much/more than the legs). Dont forget lunges either.

If you are used to leg extensions and leg curls at the gym, remember that many (most?) FID benches come with or allow you to purchase a leg roller adaptor to allow you to do those.

If you REALLY want a strong posterior chain, you could make your next purchase a glute ham raise. THAT will really blast your hams.

(dont forget the calves too).
    ^^This. front and back squats plus variantions can easily be the meat of any good leg day. toss in lunges, split squats, good mornings, stiff leg or romanian deadlifts and the leg extension/lying leg curl attachment for many benches that Buffbrown mentioned and you can easily come up with an effective and quite challenging leg day.

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    also through in a vertical leg press (you can get these off CL for ~$100) and your legs will be well taken care of.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #37 ()---()

In my opinion, there are no disadvantages, aside from if you have little/no room and the start up costs (but look at it as an investment on your health/body).

Advantages:
    You can play whatever music you want as loud as you want, its open 24/7, it has the equipment that you choose to get and not a bunch of stuff that you dont use (bosu balls, good girl/bad girl machine), no contracts or pushy salespeople, nobody else there to make you wait, etc etc...

Here is a thread full of opinions in regards to disadvantages:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...asons+home+gym

Originally Posted by darkfact View Post
    ^^This. front and back squats plus variantions can easily be the meat of any good leg day. toss in lunges, split squats, good mornings, stiff leg or romanian deadlifts and the leg extension/lying leg curl attachment for many benches that Buffbrown mentioned and you can easily come up with an effective and quite challenging leg day.
    Romanian deadlifts and Bulgarian Split Squats are awesome!!!! Repped.

www.ShankAZombie.com

liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftinoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Where you train means sweet f*** all mate. It's how much effort that YOU are putting in. Some people need a gym with people around them for motivation. Others find it too distracting with crowds, eye candy, travelling to and from etc etc. I personally prefer a home set up as I have mainly the basics and concentrate on adding reps or weight to my exercises. No fancy machines etc. If you do invest in home gear micro plates are a must imo.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Back Squats
    Front Squats
    Zercher Squats
    Jefferson Squats
    Barbell Lunges
    Barbell Split Squats
    Barbell Hack Squats
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Conventional Deads

With a rack, bar, and plates.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 01-11-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Back Squats
    Front Squats
    Zercher Squats
    Jefferson Squats
    Barbell Lunges
    Barbell Split Squats
    Barbell Hack Squats
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Conventional Deads

With a rack, bar, and plates.
    Also, standing calf raises and seated calf raises
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Do I need to have a seated calf machine?

Do I need to have a seated calf machine?
    No. sit on a bench (or even a chair) and put your feet up on a step or block of some sort. Lay a bar with weight on it or just a stack of weight plates on your knees and you are set.

www.ShankAZombie.com

moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Same size, but quicker. We dont wait for the use of equipment.
    Member of leaf nation
    2010 MENS HOCKEY GOLD MEDAL WINNERS 2014 coming soon

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by buffbrown21 View Post
    No. sit on a bench (or even a chair) and put your feet up on a step or block of some sort. Lay a bar with weight on it or just a stack of weight plates on your knees and you are set.
    I do exactly that but after awhile the weights will get heavy on the legs,I bought a cheap yardsale bench took the pad off and use that (pad side on legs)and you can handle alot of weight.also I set the safeties an inch lower so I can slide the bar packed with weights on and off.

beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10) beastlifting is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Fellipe - I started at 137 pounds 12%bf 3 years ago and I hit 195 at 16% bf this winter, all the while working out in my 1 car garage. So yes, you can get big anywhere. As suggested get a decent rack/cage, a bench and 300 pounds of plates to start. Depending on your strength, a good "entry-level" rack with a dip bar, pull up bar and pulley system can be purchased for under $500. If you're already benching or squating over 350, you'll need something better made and more $. get some adjustable dumbells too, preferably used.

what about the F430 - Power Rack by Bodycraft ?

sphexius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you can get huge!

Milk is for babies. michaelstone's Avatar
    michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Necromancer. With great power comes great responsibility.
    "It's common knowledge man. You should only use Indica for bulking, Sativa for cutting."

"Who needs proper form? He was too busy setting PR's! Forget proper form, acquire PR's!"

"It's STILL your MUTHAFU$KIN set!!!!"

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights.”

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lol. Can you get big with jelqing?

(That's a rhetorical question. . . )
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    Lol. Can you get big with jelqing?

(That's a rhetorical question. . . )
    You have to have the right towel.

KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Let's say I build a home gym with the basics (bb, dbs, bench, squat, chin-up, dip machine etc)
    so basically all my exercises would be done with free weights... no fancy machines... Is possible to get big? I know some of you will be talking about diets, etc, and I know that... I'm mainly concerned of reaching a plateau...

What you guys think?
    you can get big in an empty room with push-ups and sit-ups and calf raises. I think what you really want to know is if you can quality equipment for your home. You can, but it's expensive and buying cheap/flimsy leg presses / stair climbers or w/e is nothing more than aggravating bc it's a waste of money and time.

KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingsOfCardio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    what about the F430 - Power Rack by Bodycraft ?
    they're decent. BodyCraft is actually a pretty solid company for products that are not entirely health club quality / commercial, but they're not lightweight, either. Their Xpress Pro gym is sweet, their X4 is nice. I've sold/used BC stuff for 10 years. Know it pretty well. It's probably not strong enough for 8 hr a day use at a hotel or w/e, but if it is for your home, it's warranted for life, for real and it will hold up.

Originally Posted by sphexius View Post
    you can get huge!
    yeah but def not too fun w/o some cool equipment or a great work ethic (ie you just hammer out push-ups ll day and run around the block)

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

What you guys think?
    This the best route ever bro...Home gyms are awesome, you not only have your own space and equipment to do everything you have and want to do without distractions, but also there is something about working out freely at home that not only pushes you, but also there is nothing like being out of sight and then all of a sudden when you go places each and everyday you definitively are bigger and stronger (even leaner as well depending on the goals) than each previous day.