Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000)

TWOWALKS plan B and Non Cardio Journal

There has been a series of events in my life the past month and a half that motivated the changes I am about to make. No, not the normal New Years Resolutions that are forgotten after the first couple months.

My original journal and my own weaknesses caused me to lose sight of why I had returned to the gym, fitness. I got caught up in lifting more to get stronger and did really well, but my fitness level did not improve at the rate I wanted, if at all.

The roof caved in at my gym causing its closure for a month. Even though I found a way to continue to workout, it really through me off course and caused me to lose sight of my goals even farther.

I had to return to work for 3 weeks and in the process I heard on more than one occasion, ?Hey Gramps, let me take that for you!? People were actually afraid I would have a heart attack or collapse trying to move things. This was a major wake up call for me.

Creation of Plan B: I do not like things to get interrupted. You know like, you plan to go to the gym on Monday morning and when you get there it is closed. That throws me completely off. Another way that interruption strikes, you get called out of town and can not get to the gym for two or three weeks. I always find it hard to get started again.

So the idea of Plan B and Non Cardio began to form.

Plan B needs to be a workout program that I can do at the gym, at home and even when traveling.

Non Cardio: I hate cardio! Well at least in the normal sense of the word. I get bored out of my mind after only five minutes on a tread mill or stationary bicycle. I live in an area where it rains a lot or snows and going out in the morning for some old fashioned cardio is not a mental option for me. Bottom line is - I do not get in the cardio that I need too.

A Non Cardio workout needs to work the heart, stamina and muscle endurance to the limits of my ability.

Stay tuned - There is more to come.
    Question is: are you really going to mind if you hit your goals without puking 3 times a week?
    by Daniel Roberts

TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000)

Plan B takes form

The small gym where I am a member is going to close! This statement is only 90% positive. There are a couple people running around trying to save the gym and purchase it, but the light at the end of the tunnel is not very bright and seems to get dimmer each day.

In a quick panic attack, I began to look around at what I still have at home to workout with and what room I have available to add workout equipment. After a couple days I realized that I can do a complete workout at home based on limited equipment. The next step was to figure out the type of workouts I could do with the available equipment. I also wanted this workout to be done at the gym or at home so there would not be any disruption if the gym closes.

Workout Plan B:

Workout 1.
    Bench press 3x10-12
    Cable cross over 3x10-12
    Incline dumbbell press 3x10-12
    Military Press 3x10-12
    Rope Pull downs 3x10-12

Workout 2.
    T bar Rows 3x10-12
    Reverse grip Lat Pull downs 3x10-12
    Cable rows 3x10-12
    Dumbbell curls 3x10-12

These two workouts will each be done once per week if I only lift twice a week. If I lift 3 times per week they will be cycled through. The sets/reps, is written only as a starting point and will be changed every few weeks to mix things up. Come on, I needed to write something in that space so you would get the idea!

Now before I hear the world scream at me. I know these are both upper body and there are not squats listed. No problem, squats are in the ?Non-Cardio? section.

Stay tuned ? More to come.
    Question is: are you really going to mind if you hit your goals without puking 3 times a week?
    by Daniel Roberts

Non Cardio Workout

After considering my own mental aversion to common cardio types as well as my poor physical conditioning, I knew something had to change. Enter the Non Cardio workout, complex training.

For anyone that does not know what a complex is, here is a quick definition. A complex is any number of exercises, usually 3 to 8 exercises done in order. I know that sounds like circuit training, but it is a little different. You use the same weight for each exercise in the complex for a number of repetitions. You do this without stopping or setting the bar down. Here is an example:

Upright rows
    Cleans
    Overhead press
    Front squat
    Stiff leg deadlift
    Bent over rows

Take a barbell with a specified weight or just the bar to begin and do each exercise for 6 repetitions, without stopping flow into the second exercise and then the third. This continues until you have completed all the exercises, that is one set. You then repeat this process until you have completed the number of sets you want to do.

Advantages of complexes:
    1. Little equipment needed
    2. Can be used for a warm up instead of the treadmill
    3. Quick workouts
    4. Benefits of cardio without losing muscle mass
    5. Can be added to the end of a normal workout or done as the workout.

Disadvantage of complexes:
    1. Each complex is limited by the weakest exercise.
    2. People tend to look at you funny in the gym.

I have worked out a way to avoid disadvantage 1, by creating different 3 or 4 exercise complexes that are grouped together by the weight used while still being able to flow from one exercise into the next. Example:

Shrug
    Deadlift
    Bent over Row

These three exercises I could use approximately the same weight. By combining two or three complexes like this into one workout you could push your strength while keeping the heart rate up.

Next I will begin to put it all together, so .. Stay tuned ? More to come!
    by Daniel Roberts

Putting the Pieces Together

This is the way the program will look in the basic form.

Monday Non Cardio complex sets x 6

Upright Rows
    Power Clean
    Military Press
    Front Squat
    Stiff leg deadlift
    Bent over Rows

Tuesday Workout

Bench press 3x10-12
    Cable cross over 3x10-12
    Military Press 3x10-12
    Rope Pull downs 3x10-12

Wednesday Combination complex

sets x 8 reps
    Upright rows
    Reverse grip curl
    Overhead press

sets x 6 reps
    Clean
    Front Squat
    Romanian deadlift

x 3 reps
    Shrugs
    Deadlift
    Bent over Rows

Thursday Workout

T bar Rows 3x10-12
    Cable rows 3x10-12
    Dumbbell curls 3x10-12

Friday Bear Complex

3 sets x 6 these are done 1 rep per exercise cycle through 6 times for 1 set.

Power Clean
    Front Squat
    Push Press
    Back Squat

I wanted this program to be flexible, so it could conform to any thing that comes up. I may do 3 workouts and 3 complexes during a week or I may do 5 complexes if I can not get to the gym. Versatile, adaptable and fun.

Tomorrow Monday January 11th will be the beginning of the new program, so stay tuned ... more to come.
    Last edited by TwoWalks; 01-11-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    by Daniel Roberts

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    FIRST!!

This looks great so far TW. Frank self-evaluation and resetting goals are critical to success.
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Morning TwoWalks! You should get a sled. That feels like a helluva cardiovascular workout to me.

Glad to see your new journal! Good luck to you!!

Hope day one of your program goes well!
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    FIRST!!

This looks great so far TW. Frank self-evaluation and resetting goals are critical to success.
    Good Morning Ed, Number 1: so true, some times it hurts but it always improves.

Originally Posted by Hibiscus09 View Post
    Morning TwoWalks! You should get a sled. That feels like a helluva cardiovascular workout to me.

Glad to see your new journal! Good luck to you!!

Hope day one of your program goes well!
    Hello Diane, glad you stopped in. I love the idea of sled, I could just see me trying to pull that up and down my driveway.
    by Daniel Roberts

1st Monday complex

Today was the beginning of my new journey and I do not mind telling you - "It was humbling".

Beginning body stats
    weight 210#'s
    Waist 40"
    Body fat 24%
    Fat weight 50.4
    Lean Mass 159.6

will measure again at the end of one month.

Complex workout:
    warm up using bar - 45#'s

3sets x 6 reps - 55#
    High pulls
    Cleans
    military press
    Front squats
    deadlift
    bent over rows

Description: each exercise done for 6 reps, flow into the next exercise and continue to the end of the list = 1 set.

I was surprised to accomplish 3 sets because most of what I have read about complexes suggest to use a 45 pound bar and do 2 sets.

Completed in 12 minutes not including warm up set.

After the final set I was totally sucking air for about 4 minutes. I have no doubt this is going to really help with my cardiovascular conditioning as well as muscle endurance.

Tomorrow is Push day! Stay tuned ... more to come!
    Last edited by TwoWalks; 01-11-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    by Daniel Roberts

Morning After Thoughts

Waking up this morning I realize that I am tired, my back is stiff and that has me second guessing myself. Recovery!

Do not take this wrong, I am going to attack this full steam ahead for the first week and perhaps the second week, but I realize that I will need to look very seriously at my recovery ability from this much volume and stress on the body.

My hope is the bodies ability to adapt. The body is an amazing mechanism and adapts rapidly to what we ask of it.

Yesterday I read a good article on using complexes. The author recommends doing complexes as the cardio on off days if you have more than 15 pounds to lose. If you are lower in body fat and just using it to work the cardiovascular system then add a complex after your workouts. Not really sure what the difference would be but since I have more than 15 pounds to lose and I designed it for off days as suggested, body adapt.

Every small change affects the whole. I have began a program that is suppose to cause the body to drop fat quickly and at the same time I reduced my calorie intake. If I find the recovery to be a problem, I will raise my calorie intake up slowly until I reach normal recovery and then see what happens.

One of the reasons I love this sport is the reality that nothing is ever written in stone and every body reacts differently to the same stimulus. Experiment, record and change, this is a constant and keep it interesting. Main thing is have fun!
    by Daniel Roberts

Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wow, you've really thought this out and have a solid plan in place. I hope that this is a plan that excites you and gives you the results you're looking for. I'm intrigued and am definitely going to follow along.

Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
    Wow, you've really thought this out and have a solid plan in place. I hope that this is a plan that excites you and gives you the results you're looking for. I'm intrigued and am definitely going to follow along.
    Thanks, the more I look at this and realize the versatility the more excited I am. I see so many ways that it can grow as my fitness level and recovery level improve. My goals are really a lot easier to obtain than when I was younger. Now my main focus is on getting fitter, lower body fat and perhaps some muscle mass gain.

Glad your on board!
    by Daniel Roberts

Workout for Tuesday

Flat Bench
    115x10
    125x10
    135x8
    135x6

Cable Fly
    60x3x10

Triceps Rope Extensions
    100x3x10

Incline Bench Press
    45#dbx3x8

Military Press
    80x10
    90x8
    95x3

Added note: After an hour from completing this workout I can tell this coupled with the complexes is really going to take a toll on the deltoids. this is something to watch and perhaps figure out how to get around.

Tomorrow is complex day so ... stay tuned, more to come.
    Last edited by TwoWalks; 01-12-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    by Daniel Roberts

Went in today to do the Wednesday Complex that I had created and found a couple flaws in the way it was arranged. I have reassessed the program and changed it to the following:

Monday: Non Cardio complex sets x 6

Upright Rows
    Power Clean
    Military Press
    Front Squat
    Stiff leg deadlift
    Bent over Rows

Tuesday: Workout

Bench press 3x10-12
    Cable cross over 3x10-12
    Military Press 3x10-12
    Rope Pull downs 3x10-12

Wednesday: Bear Complex

3 sets x 6 these are done 1 rep per exercise cycle through 6 times for 1 set.

Power Clean
    Front Squat
    Push Press
    Back Squat

Thursday: Workout

T bar Rows 3x10-12
    Cable rows 3x10-12
    Dumbbell curls 3x10-12

Friday: Non Cardio complex sets x 6

Upright Rows
    Power Clean
    Military Press
    Front Squat
    Stiff leg deadlift
    Bent over Rows
    __________________________________________________ ________

Today I did the following ...

45#'s x 3sets x 6reps
    Upright Rows
    Reverse grip curl
    Military Press

65#'s x 3 sets x 6 reps
    Clean
    Front Squat
    Romanian Deadlift

85#'s x 3 sets x 6 reps
    Shrugs
    Deadlift
    Bent over Rows

Reverse grip curls and the cleans are basically the same exercises
    Romanian Deadlift and deadlift again basically the same.

By the time I looked at this and the reason I created the Complex, I felt it just best to scrub it.

Tomorrow Pull day so ... stay tuned, more to come
    by Daniel Roberts

runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) runninmom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    awesome job in getting an alternative plan...the roof caved in??!!
    definitely sounds like a good workout and I loved the video...
    i'm in for the ride!
    I want muscle...

This is maturity: To be able to stick with a job until it's finished; to do one's duty without being supervised; to be able to carry money without spending it; and to be able to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

Originally Posted by runninmom View Post
    awesome job in getting an alternative plan...the roof caved in??!!
    definitely sounds like a good workout and I loved the video...
    i'm in for the ride!
    Thanks RM, I appreciate the support. The cave in was only in one room but it closed the whole place down for awhile because of water damage.
    by Daniel Roberts

Thursday Workout

Giant Set Circuit 3x10

T bar rows 90#
    Reverse Grip Pull downs 100#
    Seated rows 100#

rest 90 seconds between circuits

The workout went really well. Tomorrow I will do my third Complex workout and then it is two days off before next weeks workouts. I can tell my system is beginning to run down. I will raise the calories a little for next week.

I hope my system will adjust by the end of next week or I may need to look at cutting back on the total training days.

If I was beginning this all over again, I would do one day of complexes and two workouts per week for the first 2 weeks and then increase it to 2 complexes and 2 workouts for another 2 weeks before going to the five day workout.

No big deal, the next time I cycle through this, I will have a better plan based on experience.
    by Daniel Roberts

Final Day Week 1 Complexes

Perhaps my body is beginning to adapt to doing the complexes. Went into the gym with the idea of doing the 3x6 as prescribed and ended up doing the following:

Complex Workout Friday Week 1

45x6
    high pulls
    Cleans
    Military press
    Front Squat
    Stiff leg Deadlift
    Bent over Rows

3x45#x6
    high pulls
    Cleans
    Military press
    Front Squat
    Stiff leg Deadlift
    Bent over Rows

Four sets and was not breathing as hard as the first time doing 3 sets with just the bar.

All in all, it has been a good week and I have learned a lot about the complexes as well as myself.

Have a great weekend, see you next week.
    by Daniel Roberts

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Hope you have an awesome birthday and weekend!!
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Thumbs up

Subb'd bro.
    David

Hope you have an awesome birthday and weekend!!
    Thank you My Lady ... Going to the Casino tomorrow for a surprise birthday party and some gambling.
    by Daniel Roberts

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Subb'd bro.
    Thanks David .... good to see ya!
    by Daniel Roberts

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TwoWalks View Post
    Thank you My Lady ... Going to the Casino tomorrow for a surprise birthday party and some gambling.
    BOLO for a guy who broke the bank and bought his own tropical island.

Where you at TW?

John Adams

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hey TW. What's going on?
    David

Happy weekend TwoWalks!!

BOLO for a guy who broke the bank and bought his own tropical island.

Where you at TW?
    I lost my allowance and have been sulking in the closet ever since. Hello Ed!

Hey TW. What's going on?
    Breaking in a new workout partner! Gathering some basic equipment so I can workout at home when the gym closes, very soon I am afraid.

Happy weekend TwoWalks!!
    Thank you MY Lady ... you have a great weekend as well.
    by Daniel Roberts

Originally Posted by TwoWalks View Post
    I lost my allowance and have been sulking in the closet ever since. Hello Ed!

Breaking in a new workout partner! Gathering some basic equipment so I can workout at home when the gym closes, very soon I am afraid.

I found putting to gether a home gym to be lots of fun TW. 90% of mine came from craigslist and Ebay. I'm currenly looking for a hyper extention bench and a good quality oly bar with some flex.

I'd like to see what you gather.

John Adams

Looks like some hard work going on in here T-dub!!!
    David

I found putting to gether a home gym to be lots of fun TW. 90% of mine came from craigslist and Ebay. I'm currenly looking for a hyper extention bench and a good quality oly bar with some flex.

I'd like to see what you gather.
    Hello Ed and David:

The biggest problem I have as far as equipment is space. So far I have a good amount for the type of workouts I am currently doing.

1. 50# Powerblock dumbbells
    2. Bowflex 400# (good for conditioning)
    3. Bodylastices bands 127 lbs of resistance per side (great for explosive exercises)
    4. Perfect pull up chin bar
    5. 300# Olympic barbell
    6. Olympic rack and bench
    7. 5 foot Olympic bar

In the spring, I am going to build a Power rack outside and add a sled for pulling. Those additions will really help me expand what I can do.
    by Daniel Roberts

Sounds like a plan bro!
    David

Sounds like a plan bro!
    Thanks David: It is a plan and only time will tell how good of one.
    by Daniel Roberts