rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Macros Vs. Actual Intake Keto Question

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could clear up a question I have.

I'm currently a week into a CKD keto diet. At first I was limiting my food intake based on how much protein, fat and carbs I was taking it. For example, I was 180 pounds at 20% fat, so I was taking 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, so 144 grams of protein a day. And I was taking 1 gram of fat per pound of actual body weight, so 180 grams of fat. I was also trying to keep my calories at about 15 times my body weight. This is the procedure listed in the sticky CKD keto thread.

But, after reading more I was seeing keto as 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs. If I limit my macros this way I don't get nearly as many grams of protein and fat as I do if I use my bodyweight to calculate what I should be intaking. Also with this I am limiting my caloric intake to just 10 times my bodyweight, so something like 1700 calories a day instead of 2300 like before.

So my question is does it really matter? Using the 60,35,5 method is nice because it's cheaping, don't have to eat as much and I still feel relatively full throughout the day. But the method using bodyweight seems more calculated and scientific. Can I use either method? What would you suggest?

Thanks.
    Last edited by rjstef; 01-10-2010 at 10:13 AM.
    Oil do it.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you are a reasonably normal weight and have your calories right, then either method will work.

The 1g of protein per pound of lean mass makes sure you are not eating more cals than you need because of high bodyfat. However, since that 1g of protein should be 30% of cals or close, your fat intake should be similar, or even slightly lower. Eating 144g of protein and 200g of fat is probably too much unless you have a very demanding manual job or lifestyle in addition to intense lifting. Or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

If you are basing calories on lean mass, then go for around 13-14 cals per pound of lean.

With total weight, try 10-11 cals per pound of total weight.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50) rjstef will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    If you are a reasonably normal weight and have your calories right, then either method will work.

The 1g of protein per pound of lean mass makes sure you are not eating more cals than you need because of high bodyfat. However, since that 1g of protein should be 30% of cals or close, your fat intake should be similar, or even slightly lower. Eating 144g of protein and 200g of fat is probably too much unless you have a very demanding manual job or lifestyle in addition to intense lifting. Or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

If you are basing calories on lean mass, then go for around 13-14 cals per pound of lean.

With total weight, try 10-11 cals per pound of total weight.
    Ok, so what do you think about this. It's a perfect 65,30,5 split and is basically 10 times my current bodyweight. EDIT - I will probably add another 100 calories to get to 1770. The protein intake just seems really low. I know I'll lose fat like this but I'm afraid I'll lose a lot of muscle too.

Last edited by rjstef; 01-10-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Oil do it.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks fine to me. Remember that 1g of protein per pound of lean mass seems very little to us, but it's several times the amount eaten by the average person, or even recommended by the average nutritionist.

Your calories are a little on the low side, but most people find that when they start keto, they get a sort of keto honeymoon, when they are so rarely hungry that they can drop calories far lower than usual. Don't worry, your body will tell you when you need to increase them again. Ketosis won't allow you to starve.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10) saidmusician is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would do this. Take your lean body weight in pounds and set that as a constant for your protein (144 grams). If I were you, I'd start at 2000 calories or so and then slowly go down from there.

2000 Calories
    25g Carb (5%)
    147g Fat (66%)
    145g Protein (29%)

As you need to drop cals, lower the fat, and keep protein at a constant.