Closed Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    leahbcollier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Introduction:

There are countless posts on the best way to train biceps...

Love it. I started doing what I call "strategic de-loading" about 5 years ago. Slightly different application, but same general concept. De-loading is not effective for my arms or shoulders, but I found it works wonders for my legs, back & chest. I switch up my workouts every week as it is, but on my "big" lift days, strategic de-loading has helped in the recovery/pre-hab category.

For instance, every 3-4 weeks, I take deadlifts & unsupported rowing movements out of my back workout and focus on form & mind-muscle connection. Same on leg day...I might do a less stressful variation of a compound movement and focus on higher-rep isolation movements.

Wonderful post.
    Last edited by leahbcollier; 07-26-2014 at 09:21 AM.

karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50) karljohnsontty will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is good. I'll de-load after 3-4 months. I'll start maybe any time September.

I need this coz I'm on a 3-day split, training 6 days per week, and my only rest day is Sunday.

Good to know.
    10,000 steps towards my goal
    Bench: 100
    Deadlift: 150
    Squat: 90

YouTube: Karl Johnson Ty
    IG: karljohnsontty2
    FB/Twitter: karljohnsonty

Vox Fides Vive Spes Lex Aequitas

dreamingg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quick q: After taking a week of deload as described (reducing weight by 50-60%), what amount of weight should you be going back to? The weight you were doing before taking the deload? Or slowly progressing back up to your peak before you deloaded?

Thx

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dreamingg View Post
    Quick q: After taking a week of deload as described (reducing weight by 50-60%), what amount of weight should you be going back to? The weight you were doing before taking the deload? Or slowly progressing back up to your peak before you deloaded?

Thx
    Go right back to where you left off.

Either repeat the same the same weight you did right before deload, or make the next step up in your progression. (I usually repeat, and then progress from there).
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoseIt37 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Great Info

I'm moderately new to lifting so I am glad to find this thread early on in the game. I've read the responses from individuals who wish they would have known this before so I am pretty lucky!!!

I will definitely use this! I won't need it anytime soon, but I know down the road it will be necessary! Thank you for this!
    No Retreat! No Surrender!

jamesxo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    As long as you drop the weight, you can continue to do these. They are not taxing if you are dropping to a weight that is "easy" for you. It somewhat depends on how much you feel you need the recovery. If your lower back, for example, has been hammered by your regular routine and you feel you need to give it an extra break, lay off the squats and deads. My personal recommendation would be to probably drop the deads, but that's just me.

Some people prefer to avoid the major compounds entirely, and go with more isolation work.

Remember: during de-load your goal is recovery. No one-rep maxes, no going to failure, etc.
    i do a two week heavy compound,millatary press, squat, bench, working 3 days a week. arms are done on one of the days off..tri's and bicepts are done in supersets..one try one bi,standing barbell, forhead crushers..every set heavey and to failure..the next two week..dumbell sholder work 12 to 15 reps supersetted with upright row..lat pulldown supersetted w/bent over row. legs.all hack squats,suppersetted with leg press..arms are worked tris and bi's suppersetted withhammer curls, and cable push downs to failure....3 days off and back to heavey compound work..i done this for a year and iv finally got me a 17 and a half inch arm..able to do millatary presses with 220 lbs for 5 reps..i do use l-arginine..creatine..fish/olive/flax oil..and a good protine. and dont forget the bcaa's. of course the exercizes are changed some but i stay with the compound and then light with reps to failure..and it hasent failed me yet.

Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aadaawaay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took a week off after feeling really tired. Went back Saturday feeling fresh and set some new PBs so I'm more than pleased.

I think your body will tell you when its time to take a break

viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm about to deload after five weeks on PHUL which is the most intense (and most frequent) weight training program I've ever done in my life. Am full of injury niggles, irritable, anxious, not sleeping so I think its about time I listened to my body. Was thinking of doing the 2 power days with 30-50% reduction in weight to focus on technique as well as some moderate intensity cardio for the rest of the week with 1 complete rest day.
    Instagram: vicclesloveskarate
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170156703&p=1416249753#post1416249753
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166758171
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157799473&highlight=Vic%27s+log

tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50) tmaltbie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I lifted continuously for about 6 weeks then I had to take a 5 week break while traveling abroad. I have been back at it 5 days a week since August 11th.

This is my routine, 5x5 M-W and Thurs/Fri is 5x4:
    Monday –heavy squat (SQ)
    Tuesday –heavy benchpress (BP)
    Wednesday –heavy deadlift (DL)
    Thursday – light SQ
    Friday –light BP
    Saturday –off
    Sunday –off

how often should I deload? I mean, the only lift I struggle w/increasing regularly is the bench. For example, I bench 125 right now. I started with 4,4,4,3,3 then got it up to 5,5,5,4,4 and then today I did 5,5,5,5 and on the last set 4, failed on the 5th but I think my form was out of wack on the last rep so I reset and did the last rep. Not sure if it should count.

Do I deload or just do 125 AGAIN (4th week)?

piyu11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) piyu11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) piyu11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah I agreed with the post that deloading can be beneficial while gym exercise.

weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weeabrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Going to deload this coming week, might just take a whole week and a half off. I haven't deloaded in 3 months, and I've hit multiple PRs in squat, deadlift, and bench within that time period. I just failed a deadlift PR attempt today that I honestly feel like I could have gotten if I hadn't pulled my trap on the warmup prior.

My CNS is fried, elbows feeling like tendonitis, left trap is in pain, and every workout is feeling like they're killing me.

/enddeardiary.
    **Sniffs air as HBB walks passed me crew**
    **Farts as I pass by HBB to mark territory crew**

Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dumi22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Im on -10% calorie deficit
    Im doing a cutting on All pro begginers program

Today i gave up and i just go home because after squats , i failed on all exercises , i felt dizzy and with lack of energy even if i ate before.I also have a pain on left glute since 2 months ago which pisses me off when i do bent over row and stiff legged deadlift.
    I read the sticky about deload but im not sure what to do since on all pro you deload 2 times/week so deload is practically integrated on this routine
    Im on 3rd week of all_pro and i already failed on 10reps , to not talk about 12 , what should i do ? take a week off ? deload 50% of my max weights and go like this for 1 week? any suggest pls

damei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nice thread man very helpfull!

Cheriebooboo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Hi there,

I was looking for more info on deloading which led me here...I have been progressing in strength (only 5-10lbs) for the previous three weeks, for this coming deloading week I will be cutting to half the volume, do I maintain the weight from previous week or progress just as the weeks before?

Thanks for this excellent info much needed for us newbies! ))

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Cheriebooboo View Post
    Hi there,

I was looking for more info on deloading which led me here...I have been progressing in strength (only 5-10lbs) for the previous three weeks, for this coming deloading week I will be cutting to half the volume, do I maintain the weight from previous week or progress just as the weeks before?

Thanks for this excellent info much needed for us newbies! ))
    The better idea is to cut the weight in half and do your normal volume. Basically, it should feel like you're just "going through the motions" to get the blood flowing. You don't want to push the weight up too high, since the whole point is to give yourself a recovery week.

But if you've only been working out for 3 weeks total since you started, then you probably don't need to be deloading yet.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) nigeltheoutlaw is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    For deload weeks, how much should you eat? Should you eat maintenance? More? Less? Should you maintain your diet and protein or use it as an excuse to eat whatever as long as you fit your calories? I've seen a lot of discussion about the workout parts of a deload, but not about the nutrition during said deload week.

YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10) YoanaOrton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've talked with a world weightlifting champion, he pointed out that de loading is probably the most important thing in weightlifting.
    My set in my first STREET FITNESS competition http://goo.gl/0tyXUz <~

imRippedkinda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your de-loading tips are right on

Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10) Quadsthetics is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If taking a week off completely, should one avoid cardio/stretching/foam rolling as well?

Originally Posted by Quadsthetics View Post
    If taking a week off completely, should one avoid cardio/stretching/foam rolling as well?
    You can, but it's not necessary.

MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000) MSeb is just really nice. (+1000)
    Strong bump, just took a week off. mentally and physically prepared.

angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100) angela8915 is not very well liked. (-100)
    very good thread been waiting for a thread about de-loading, was going to make one my self but been very busy so thanks for making one, this is the kinda stuff we need more of. (a small amount of) reps for you

Mars196 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mars196 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mars196 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have a question, the first plan states to drop intensity(50-60% of normal lifts) while keeping volume and the second states to drop volume while keeping intensity(Same weight used normally). Then its noted to keep reps at 8+.
    If currently using a 5x5 on compounds would that equate to 2x8 while maintaining same weight as the 5x5(75% of 1RM)?

Brulaii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quick question, which I'm sure has been answered before but I can't seem to find it:

After deloading 50% weight for a week, do you pick up your progression where you left off the next week? Or do you ease back into it? For example, if I normally bench 3x5 @ 145lbs and decide it's time for a deload, I'd drop to 3x5 @ 70lbs for a week, and then would I pick it right back up at 145lbs the next?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Brulaii View Post
    For example, if I normally bench 3x5 @ 145lbs and decide it's time for a deload, I'd drop to 3x5 @ 70lbs for a week, and then would I pick it right back up at 145lbs the next?
    Yes.

Either repeat the same load as you did right before the de-load and start working upward from there over the following weeks (what I usually do), or add weight as if the de-load had never occurred. Whichever seems to work for you.

claughman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Diet on De-Load ?

Sign of a great post is one that stands the test of time. Nice work Vox...

Saw a question asked a few back that I didn't see an answer for and was wondering as well. What do you do nutrition wise in the de-load. I'm guessing you time your de-load so it doesn't fall in the middle of a cut or load phase. You just eat the amount of calories you need to maintain that week and shoot for 1 - 1.5 gm of protein per body weight, or do you do something different for de-load week.

NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NasFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Brulaii View Post
    Quick question, which I'm sure has been answered before but I can't seem to find it:

After deloading 50% weight for a week, do you pick up your progression where you left off the next week? Or do you ease back into it? For example, if I normally bench 3x5 @ 145lbs and decide it's time for a deload, I'd drop to 3x5 @ 70lbs for a week, and then would I pick it right back up at 145lbs the next?

Thanks.
    Yes you would pick up right where you left off. The purpose of deloading is for you to regain your strength so that you can go back and lift more.

maryalonsa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^Good stuff

Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    There are other options, however, and if you have only been training for a couple of years you won’t need to worry about deloading just yet. Beginners can go a few years without deloading.

Horid7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like do some healthy exercise
    This build makes me happy